Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Thank You For Being A Friend

• Start Topic

On 2/18/2018 at 7:04 PM, Kiddvideo said:

I was invited to a GG trivia night next week. Have to admit, I'm a little nervous. This is NYC trivia -- so many people who know everything and then it's gonna draw GG fans. The people who invited me know I like GG, but I haven't told them that I've been watching a couple hours a day for 20+ years (except when Hallmark goes 24/7 shitty Christmas movies. Fuck you Hallmark and all your "slut" loving execs who bleep "butt"...BUTT BUTT BUTT you double standard, "back end of a donkey" hypocrites.)

So how did it go?

There was no way to do it and not be obvious but I wish I could have taken a picture because guys I kid you not I saw Sophia Petrillo the Nun at Trader Joe's today.  Same height, same hair (sort of, the part I could see under the habit).  Same glasses!    Tried so hard not to stare but my Mother was with me and when I asked her to look at the Nun by the cheese she immediately said "Oh my God it's Sophia" then ran practically ran Away.  Found her at the other end of the aisle laughing and crossing herself (forgiveness for the laughing I guess) at the same time and finally she said "She's just missing the wicker purse".   Which made her crack up all over again.       So sorry no photo but, to borrow a phrase..... Picture it, Trader Joe's, 2019.....

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

Since none of my nominees made it to the "Get Your GOAT: Favourite Show of All Time" category of the Annual Awards Show: The Primetimers
in honor of my mother, I voted for The Golden Girls:
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94334-get-your-goat-favourite-show-of-all-time
("Vote early and often," LOL.)

My 91-year-old mom in hospice care with advanced Parkinson's can no longer even operate a remote, but when someone is there to do it for her, she still likes to watch The Golden Girls, and I like to watch it with her.

And, hey, we're winning the category!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

Applause for the reigning winner at today's Golden Girls trivia night - I was 20 points above the competition from "guess that quote" to true/false questions!

I felt like a stickler because some of the quotes they used when asking questions weren't all accurate. One of the rounds included identifying random characters by picture. I had to set them straight when they mistook Augustine Bagatelli for Big Daddy - I was abhorred! :-)

• Love 7
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, CousinOliver said:

LOL, I just won a GG trivia contest on my honeymoon cruise.  I was disappointed in the questions too.   I had a LOT of wordy answers.   

Congrats to you! Hanging out on these boards is good for something.

Target Has Debuted Golden Girls Costumes for Halloween 2019

Dorothy’s ensemble features a scarf — a look she often sported — wide-leg pants, a black and white blouse, white heels and, of course, a gray wig.

Rose’s look is a periwinkle dress, which was a staple color of her wardrobe. Sophia’s costume is also a dress, but floral in pattern.

For Blanche, the diva of the clique, buyers can sport a red jumpsuit paired with a blazer adorned with fall-colored leaves.

The costumes all come with jewelry and Sophia’s ensemble comes with glasses. However, the wigs are sold separately.

image.thumb.png.99625dcad1ac950cd2ac752df6a2478d.png

I hope target also sells the wigs, because I think you really need the wigs.  Unless you have hair the right length and color that you can style like theirs.

• Love 4

^ Oh right!  That, too.  TBH - I don't think her dress represents her well.  The others are pretty close, though.  The purse would definitely help. 

I checked Target website and it looks like they are all sold out already.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I think in Sophia's case, a blue colored dress plus the purse would have worked better.

Totally agree, I'd actually put her in Rose's dress with a cardigan.  Blanche needs to lose the blazer and Dorothy never wore a scarf that way.  A hobo bag or slouchy boots as an accessory would be better.  And I'm not sure what outfit would really scream "Rose!" but I'm thinking a solid color instead of floral.

• Love 3

That Dorothy costume looks ten times better than anything Dorothy ever actually wore.

Anyone creating a Sophia costume that doesn't include the purse should be drummed out of the business.

I would not look at any of those and think Golden Girls.  Knowing they're supposed to be the Golden Girls, the only one I think comes close is Blanche, but the jacket should be more loose and flowing and she should be shown with kitten heels.  Rose and Sophia both need different dresses and Dorothy needs a shapeless shirt  - or perhaps something with a construction paper garland - and should be shown with boots or sandals.

• Love 4

Those costumes aren't even close. Where are the garish 80s pastels? Those glorious, blousy, hideous bright blue and green numbers Dorothy wore? That's GG fashion! And, yes, the lack of Sophia's ubiquitous purse is glaring. Did any actual fans have a say in these outfits?

• Love 3