Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Episode 6

It wasn't about the button box, which was never found. It was about Mary's contraceptive device thatAnna was hiding for her and that Bates thinks she does not want his baby.

Which was a weird set of scenes. I couldn't figure out what in the heck he was rummaging around for at first. Then When he confronted Anna with the contraception her response made it sound like she actually had worried about him being a murderer, and he never did believe her explanation. •sigh•. I remember when I enjoyed those two but now the pairing makes me sad.

I do enjoy the Mosely and Baxter relationship these days though.

And I wonder whether the Rose Atticus Sinderby situation will ever bring up the topic of Cora's rather Jewish sounding maiden name.

Edited by shipperx

Which was a weird set of scenes. I couldn't figure out what in the heck he was rummaging around for at first. Then When he confronted Anna with the contraception her response made it sound like she actually had worried about him being a murderer, and he never did believe her explanation. •sigh•. I remember when I enjoyed those two but now the pairing makes me sad.

I do enjoy the Mosely and Baxter relationship these days though.

And I wonder whether the Rose Atticus Sinderby situation will ever bring up the topic of Cora's rather Jewish sounding maiden name.

To the scene with the button-box. Anna told him that she had forgotten her button box at the cottage and he offered to go and get it for her. He didn't find it, but instead he found the box with Mary's cervical cap and the book of Mary Stopes.

The topic of Cora's maiden name has been brought up already. Did you miss the scene where she told Bricker that her father was Jewish?

• Love 1

I quite like Molesley and Daisy discussing her studies in a quiet moment. I imagine his story was much like a lot of young men at that time, forced to drop out of school despite academic promise.  I hope that she does allow for them to work together.  I thought it was a sweet interaction.

• Love 3

I was referring to Cora's Jewish connection being brought up within the context of Atticus and the Sinderby's. When Atticus had to admit to a Jewish heritage in front of Rose you saw an expression if relief on his face when Rose didn't even react. Given the mindset of many in that time and place, it is perhaps a concern on Atticus and his family just how accepted they might be. Bringing up Cora's background in that context would then be somewhat reassuring to Atticus that his pursuit of Rose will be accepted by the Crawleys.

And I thought the Bates thing was weird because Anna's reaction superficially seemed to confirm that she actually was avoiding pregnancy because she thought he was a murderer, which wasn't the case and which Anna never clarified such that her husband believed her. He's left thinking she pulled an Erica Kane circa 1972 with her using birth control behind his back when husband thought they were trying to have a baby. Weird to leave it that way.

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 1

I'm finding the Atticus/Rose pairing quite charming. I also really liked the subtle social moment between his parents and Cora/Robert - when Atticus's mother invited them to stay at her house and had her invitation declined, you could see that she wasn't quite sure if Cora was only making a polite excuse and that the real issue was that the Crawleys wouldn't stay in a Jewish home. But then Cora invited them to dinner at Downton, and there was noticeable relief/pleasure on Atticus's mother's face to see that it really was just because of the dusty clothes and not anti-Semitism.

I love every scene Violet has with her prince. Maggie Smith and the other actor are just wonderful - just through their line deliveries and expressions, I feel like I can see Violet as the young and beautiful Countess of Grantham she was all those decades ago.

This episode actually made me happy for Edith. Yes, it sucked for her to learn that Gregson is indeed dead, but as a result she inherits his publishing company and that gives her what she needed, financial security of her own, before it was too late. She had that line about how she was running out of time, which I took to refer to Violet and Rosamunde's plan to take Marigold away from the Drewes and send her to boarding school abroad. So while I felt for Mrs. Drewe, she was going to lose Marigold regardless, and it's far better for Marigold to be with Edith as her acknowledged mother rather than off at boarding school having no family at all. So the confirmation of Gregson's death was very timely. She lost the man she loves, but now she can secure a better life for her daughter than what Violet and Rosamunde had planned.

I'm not sure how to feel about Isobel and Merton. On the one hand, I like her getting a story of her own. On the other hand, she was fully intending to turn Merton down until he made a more emotional proposal than she expected, and she's still not speaking at all of love on her own part. I know Violet has selfish motives, but those don't invalidate the points that she made to Dr. Clarkson about how this marriage could turn out. Although I suppose if things got too unhappy, Isobel as one of the more modern-thinking characters would probably be willing to divorce.

I really like Molesley and Baxter together, and I hope the scenes between him and Daisy aren't going to result in this turning into a triangle. The small bit between Mrs. Hughes and Baxter, where Mrs. Hughes just wanted to know if Cora knew everything and then backed off completely, was well done.

I'm finding the Atticus/Rose pairing quite charming. I also really liked the subtle social moment between his parents and Cora/Robert - when Atticus's mother invited them to stay at her house and had her invitation declined, you could see that she wasn't quite sure if Cora was only making a polite excuse and that the real issue was that the Crawleys wouldn't stay in a Jewish home. But then Cora invited them to dinner at Downton, and there was noticeable relief/pleasure on Atticus's mother's face to see that it really was just because of the dusty clothes and not anti-Semitism.

I love every scene Violet has with her prince. Maggie Smith and the other actor are just wonderful - just through their line deliveries and expressions, I feel like I can see Violet as the young and beautiful Countess of Grantham she was all those decades ago.

I feel stupid for not picking up on that. I guess it's because I know that Cora would never snub anyone in that way that it didn't occur to me that the Sinderbys probably brush up against antisemitism on a regular enough basis where it's understandable that they might be sensitive to something like that and that they'd be inclined to look for signs from people in general.

It's funny because I don't personally think that Maggie Smith was a great beauty when she was young. Striking and attractive, sure, but I wouldn't call her beautiful. That being said, when she's playing Violet in her scenes with the prince I have no problem imagining her being a passionate and exceptionally beautiful woman. I even thought she looked younger in the scene where they first see each other after all of those years. I agree too that both actors are selling what they have to work with. 

John Drake was the farmer Edith kissed in season 2.  Tim Drewe is the farmer who took over his father's place in season 4 and also agreed to take on the pigs, too.

Rosamund told Edith that times were changing, but not fast enough for a young woman like her.  She also warned Edith of the complications of letting the Drewes raise Marigold.  Edith wanted her child near her.  She told Drewe it was the baby of a friend of hers, offered to give him money to help.  If Drewe'd kept it that way, Mrs. Drewe would have known the baby was connected to Edith.  Edith dropping by would have been expected and her deep emotions would have been brushed off as guilt for not being able to raise the baby herself.

Drewe, however, suspected Edith was the mother from the beginning.  He decided to keep his wife out of it and wrote a letter himself alleging to be from a dying friend.  For all Mrs. Drewe knew, the baby was an orphan, the letter was proof enough and the baby was theirs.  At multiple steps, Tim could have told Margie that Edith had asked them to take care of the baby, but he didn't.  Instead, he brushed off his wife's concerns, then concocted that idiotic and very awkward conversation about replacing Margie's sister with Edith as the godmother.

Mrs. Drewe watched the stranger from the big house come by whenever she wanted, petting her little girl, clinging to the child, looking desperate.  Even after Tim told Edith to stay away for awhile and give them some space, Edith still showed up.  I don't blame Margie for being suspicious.  Edith never should have involved the Drewes at all or, at least, insisted Mrs. Drewe know that she had a connection to the child, as well.

Agreed with others that Dr. Clarkson was remarkably kind to Thomas. 

Seriously, does Scotland Yard really spend this much time looking after the death of an unemployed servant two years after the fact?

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 3:54 PM, ZoloftBlob said:

I don't dislike Edith, but I don't entirely see her as a victim of her family and her time. Gregson with the wife, the crazy wife, was throwing up some huge red flags, and having been raised far more strictly and aware of how certain things are BAD, that Edith did decide to have sex with a married man hardly makes her his victim. Edith's night of sex is a rare occasion on this show where there's no hint that the woman might have been forced. Edtih knew was she was doing, and knew the risks. 

Well, if a woman is in love, the man has promised to marry her, the courting has been long and they are often alone in his home, it would be rare if they didn't have made love sooner or later.  

If only Gregson had lived, the child wouldn't be a problem, at least in the long term.