Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

While this may be the general consensus and practice, their song was the best of the ones nominated. By a mile.  I wouldn't even consider the Gaga/Bennett duet "pop".

The Grammys have always had a loose definition of Pop.  Just like Hard Rock/Heavy Metal back in the 80s when they awarded Jethro Tull the inaugural Grammy in that category. 

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Because I know nothing about BTS, why did one of the members sit in a dj chair and not dance?  Was he injured or something?  Or was it a theatrical bit?

He recently injured his finger and had surgery so his left hand is in a cast. That's why he sang from the chair and didn't join the other members on stage until closer to the end.

Out of the 7, you had one in a cast, one who just got out of COVID quarantine at his Vegas hotel on Saturday, and a third who only flew in on Saturday after being in COVID quarantine in Seoul (both were recovering during quarantine). So they only had one rehearsal with all 7 of them, the morning of the Grammys.

Edited by laugard
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Grammys have always had a loose definition of Pop.  Just like Hard Rock/Heavy Metal back in the 80s when they awarded Jethro Tull the inaugural Grammy in that category. 

Ugh.  Don't remind me.  And that wasn't a "loose definition", that was blatant ignorance.

Also, see this year. I love Dream Theater, but their winning song was one of their weaker efforts in years.  I guess it was a career achievement award.

I was wondering about BTS - did I count seven of them? I thought boy bands (and girl bands, for that matter) are supposed to start with five members, then inevitably one of them leaves to pursue a solo career, the rest continues as a foursome for a while, then they break up the entire band, then re-unite 10-15 years later to cash in on a new album and/or tour? Is that not the natural order of things?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
54 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I’m not familiar with the person named H.E.R. Is that a real name or something she’s calling herself? Thanks for any information you may have.

H.E.R. stands for Having Everything Revealed. Her real name is Gabriella Wilson.

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

H.E.R. stands for Having Everything Revealed. Her real name is Gabriella Wilson.

She's only 24 now, isn't she? At some point in her 30s she'll realize how stupid this is and start going by her real name.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Pre-Grammy tribute to Joni Mitchell as the MusiCares Person of the Year that wasn't broadcast.

Herbie Hancock played a jazz piano rendition of music from Mitchell's 1976 album "Hejira" that was followed by a rocking version of 1974's "Help Me" from Violet Grohl, the teenage daughter of Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl, to open the tribute concert in a ballroom at the MGM Grand Las Vegas...

Inside, sitting a table with Hancock and director Cameron Crowe, Mitchell often appeared near tears as a parade of artists praised her before giving their takes on her songs.

"Not unlike people who lived in the time of Shakespeare, and of Beethoven, we are living in the time of Joni Mitchell, and it shows tonight," said Brandi Carlile, who sang a version of "Woodstock" that began as a quiet ballad before the house band kicked in and Stephen Stills — who played on the most famous version of the 1970 song with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young — joined her for an electric guitar solo.

In a new approach to this year's MusiCares tribute, organizers appointed Carlile, who is up for five Grammys on Sunday, and Jon Batiste, who is up for 11, as music directors to coordinate the artists and their approaches to the difficult, genre-bending songs of Mitchell's five-decade career.

"We helped shepherd artists to their Joni songs, the ones that their souls connected to," Carlile told the AP. "This isn't easy music. This is complicated, brilliant music that is really hard to interpret."

Also, Cyndi Lauper is 68. 😲

• Love 3
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

She's only 24 now, isn't she? At some point in her 30s she'll realize how stupid this is and start going by her real name.

Why should she have to? How many grown men have been in the music industry using names like that? 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, KingsCup said:

Yeah! Like Elton John does! And Bono! And Jon Bon Jovi! And Tony Bennett!

None of those are pretentious acronyms, and "Bon Jovi" is a simplified spelling of Jon's real last name, Bongiovi. "H.E.R." to me is as pretentious as the symbol that Prince went by for a few years in the 90s.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, chocolatine said:

I was wondering about BTS - did I count seven of them? I thought boy bands (and girl bands, for that matter) are supposed to start with five members, then inevitably one of them leaves to pursue a solo career, the rest continues as a foursome for a while, then they break up the entire band, then re-unite 10-15 years later to cash in on a new album and/or tour? Is that not the natural order of things?

I'm admittedly a fan and realize you're being facetious, but also think it's too bad more people aren't familiar with their entire discography and not just the three English singles released during the pandemic. There is a lot of artistry, lyricism and depth in their Korean music that would probably surprise non-fans. 

Unlike most traditional US boy bands and kpop groups, BTS was actively involved in writing and producing their music from when they first started ten years ago. Three of them have also released solo mixtapes, with the support of their company and other members. There is a lot behind their history.

Not trying to be argumentative or sway anyone's opinion, so I'll get off my BTS soapbox now ; )

Edited by laugard
  • Useful 3
15 hours ago, laugard said:

I'm admittedly a fan and realize you're being facetious, but also think it's too bad more people aren't familiar with their entire discography and not just the three English singles released during the pandemic. There is a lot of artistry, lyricism and depth in their Korean music that would probably surprise non-fans. 

Unlike most traditional US boy bands and kpop groups, BTS was actively involved in writing and producing their music from when they first started ten years ago. Three of them have also released solo mixtapes, with the support of their company and other members. There is a lot behind their history.

Not trying to be argumentative or sway anyone's opinion, so I'll get off my BTS soapbox now ; )

I was just joking about the pattern I've observed with American and European boy and girl bands since the 90s. The music is usually not my cup of tea (with a few exceptions) but I'm not disputing anyone's talent.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2022 at 2:43 AM, Jaded said:

Why should she have to? How many grown men have been in the music industry using names like that? 

Agreed. Musical artists of all ages have stage names of animals, food, spelling errors, etc. I'm not seeing the problem about an acronym. It's not like she goes by the whole phrase.

Hopefully, the Grammys can move back to their previous scheduled spot next year.

Edited by InDueTime
Spelling
  • Love 4
On 4/5/2022 at 8:04 AM, cinsays said:

I wish we could see and not just read this tribute to Joni

Did you catch her induction into Rock n’ Roll Hall of fame (Correction: Kennedy Center Honors) recently?  Awesome! 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did you catch her induction into Rock n’ Roll Hall of fame recently?  Awesome! 

no, missed that

glad she is getting some notice, respect and admiration for her many years of greatness

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, cinsays said:

no, missed that

glad she is getting some notice, respect and admiration for her many years of greatness

Absolutely!  Correction to my post. It was the Kennedy Center Honors, that I was thinking of.  It’s still available on CBS or Hulu, I think.  

• Love 3

So Taylor Swift has made a new record, being the only artist to ever own the entire Top 10 on BB. Basically every song currently in the Top 10 is from her new album Midnights. I bring this up only to say, so folks can prepare themselves for AOTY #4 come 2024 (as it missed the cut off to be nominated for next year's ceremony). 

After all, I've heard for years how deserving 1989 was of AOTY just because she had five singles in the Top 10. My goodness, with 10, no one should even bother showing up. I mean sure the album's only okay at best, Taylor's writing and subject matter seems to have stalled and she's never exactly been known for incredible vocals. 

None of that will matter when she will inevitably become the first artist EVER in history to have four AOTY awards. And yes, in case it doesn't come across as clear in text, I find that fact that to be tragic in many ways. Not least of all that I will ALWAYS stand firmly in my truth that she didn't deserve it for 1989. 

Oh and interestingly, somehow despite all these wins and supposed amazingness, she continues to not have a single SOTY or ROTY. Curious. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Bumping to the top for the show tonight….  I still miss Joan & Co. on the Red Carpet!

I honestly don't miss Joan Rivers on the Red Carpet at all. I always found her Carpet interviews cringe-worthy and often completely out-of-touch. I do, however, desperately miss Fashion Police which was the perfect forum for her snarky and often hilariously inappropriate commentary. 

• Like 2

It's been close to 40 years since he's hosted, but I miss my annual three hour fix of John Denver as host.  I rarely watch them now because I am so out of it with al the music of today but good luck to all the nominees.

• Like 3

Please explain to me what the hell happened to Shania Twain? She's a total hot mess. 

3 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Oh Shania.  That hair and outfit.  Bless her heart.  She's trying much too hard.  

Did you see the top hat she had on on the red carpet? I was cringing for her. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Chris Stapleton and the kids are KILLING IT! 💯💥

Were the kids related to any of the performers or the Gordys?  I missed it but I realize the odds are high.

2 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Smokey really needs to knock off the surgery too. And eyeliner.

And black hair dye.  He was a nice-looking guy (I remember girls swooning over him back in the day) and I wish he had just aged gracefully. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3