Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Yeah, the thread count was one of my most pressing issues about this performance.

Oh man, if there was an audience this year, some of the older voters would have passed out clutching their pearls. 

yup, that was me

yuck

• Love 2
12 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I was never a huge One Direction fan but to me, much like Justin Timberlake, Harry ultimately being the solo breakout star was never in doubt. 

It’s more than just raw talent as is often the case in the entertainment industry. Harry has a vibe and aesthetic that makes him appear cooler, edgier and seemingly more interesting. 

No offense to Niall but he gives off nice guy across the street vibe. Not exactly star quality.

Like I said, Harry has a big machine behind him. I got into One Direction late (like, six months before they took their "break"), and, yeah, they pushed Harry as the "front" of the group, but the guys actually pretty evenly shared lead vocals (except Louis, he really has no voice) as well as songwriting on their last few albums. But Harry had the swagger and he has the style. He also ultimately benefitted from the crazy Larry Stylinson..."rumors," and his interest in gender-bending post-1D makes him even more intriguing. I don't begrudge him his success, as I like a lot of his solo stuff and really enjoy his personality (like when he hosted SNL). Frankly, when 1D went on their "break" to pursue solo careers, Niall was not the one whose work I thought I'd end up preferring, but here I am.

And as for Niall having "nice guy off across the street vibe," may I present Exhibit A: Ed Sheeran has 13 Grammy noms with four Grammy wins. I think Niall and Ed are pretty comparable as songwriters and performers.

But I think that, like JC Chasez, Niall having been part of a boy band where another member was pushed as the frontman just sets him back in his solo career. Justin is incredibly talented, but his dating Britney Spears pushed him further out in front of his band mates while still in NSync, and ultimately he was able to use their breakup for fodder as he started his solo career, with "Cry Me a River" being the second single off his first album and an ENORMOUS commercial success.

The parallels between Justin and Harry are really interesting to think about, actually.

I like Harry Styles so I was pleasantly surprised he won a Grammy but if I thought of him winning, it would be for Best Music Video. Watermelon Sugar is catchy but he has better songs. I'm not sure why this one caught on over his others. 

I'm much too old to be more than a casual listener back in his boy band days, but I always seem to notice his voice above the others. I think the most successful singers don't have perfect voices (look at Rod Stewart). Instead, they need to stand out. And this kid has it in spades. Even an old fogey like me noticed.

• Love 1

I'll defend Taylor Swift's 1989 and Folklore as both were wonderfully written, produced, and cohesive albums and deserving of their wins as Album of the Year. I would say that the one that didn't deserve it is Fearless, definitely one of her lesser efforts. Red and Reputation were both much better albums and far more reflective of her abilities, especially in songwriting.

To me, both records reflect what the Album of the Year should be. Folklore drew me in from first listen to now, the same as 1989. Thematically, they work as a whole listening experience with matching themes and call backs throughout to different songs in the respective album.

I also appreciate that there was a lot of variety in the winners. There were no sweeps, no one artist taking everything. There was a lot of great music released last year and the Grammys did represent a fair amount of those artists and songs. Is it perfect? Not even close but at least it is a start.

Edited by cmahorror
Wrong category
8 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

I'll defend Taylor Swift's 1989 and Folklore as both were wonderfully written, produced, and cohesive albums and deserving of their wins as Record of the Year. I would say that the one that didn't deserve it is Fearless, definitely one of her lesser efforts. Red and Reputation were both much better albums and far more reflective of her abilities, especially in songwriting.

I believe you mean Album of the Year. Taylor has never won Record or Song of the Year.

I actually defended and still do, Taylor’s AOTY win for Fearless. Against her competition that year, she did have the strongest complete album.

And I have never challenged her deserving to be nominated for AOTY for 1989. But if we are again considering who she was nominated against, then yeah nope, I will never be convinced that it was more deserving than Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly. Not lyrically, sonically, nada

And before the inevitable “she had 5 BB Top 10 from the album” argument is revived, I will point out that Katy Perry has five Number 1 BB singles from her Teenage Dream album. And by my last count, girlfriend doesn’t own a single Grammy Award, in any category. And I don’t even like Katy Perry much and I call bullshit on that.

Bruno Mars needs to move on from the 70s schtick. It’s annoying at this point.

I don’t get the Harry Styles love. I find him mediocre and he looked like a goof dancing. His whole fashionista stuff is so overrated.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, argrow said:

I still don't understand Billie Eilish.

Me, either..land that goes for Taylor Swift and...especially..Beyonce

1 hour ago, Marley said:

Bruno Mars needs to move on from the 70s schtick. It’s annoying at this point.

I don’t get the Harry Styles love. I find him mediocre and he looked like a goof dancing. His whole fashionista stuff is so overrated.

Agreed!!!

• Love 1
On 3/15/2021 at 7:57 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

No rock performers?  (And they only showed Eddie's guitar and played a terrible live clip.)

It's also sad when BTS' vocals are more understandable than some of these "artists" whose first language is English.

Looking at the Grammys, it really does seem like rock is dead. So glad my younger years were during grunge [and the end of hair metal before it]. Probably also why my music knowledge stopped ages ago.

It's all polished pop/rap, etc. Not my thing. Happy for those that can enjoy it.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:57 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

No rock performers?  (And they only showed Eddie's guitar and played a terrible live clip.)

The Black Pumas are at least in the neighbourhood, musically, even if Soul slanted a bit. 

Also HAIM (who were actually nominated in a Rock category). 

And wasn't Brittany Howard there, albeit as part of a tribute? 

I DO wish the awards had invited The Strokes though.  Or maybe they did and they just couldn't come.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kromm said:

I DO wish the awards had invited The Strokes though.  Or maybe they did and they just couldn't come.

The Strokes are barely what I consider rock.  And they won in a "Rock" category that included the likes of Sturgill Simpson, Michael Kiwanuka, and Grace Potter.  The Grammys haven't had a clue about the heavier side of things for quite awhile now.

In light of the amazing recent halftime show, I'd just like to revisit some more examples of the Recording Academy's epic fails when it comes to Hip Hop/Rap. There was of course 50 Cent not winning a single Grammy for his debut year. 

But that doesn't even come close to Eminem not winning Record of the Year for Lose Yourself. Lose Yourself, a song that STILL hits hard every single time, 20 plus years later. The Oscar winning  Lose Yourself. The song that remained number 1 on BB for 14 weeks and was the biggest selling single of that year. Did not win ROTY.  

I always say, all the proof people needed of how much the Academy had little respect for Rap/Hip Hop is that not even the white man could win. Also, allow me to gloat over "it's not real music" but somehow they damn sure delivered one of the best halftime shows in years. 

• Love 2
On 1/18/2022 at 6:54 PM, BetterButter said:

The Foo Fighters were scheduled to perform, which I was really looking forward to. 😢 I hope the organizers can get together some other bands who're friends with the Foo Fighters to put together a tribute to Taylor Hawkins on such short notice. There's a tribute to Stephen Sondheim already scheduled, so I hope there's space to do both. I'm still so shocked about Taylor's passing. 

• Love 6
On 3/28/2022 at 2:48 AM, chocolatine said:

There's a tribute to Stephen Sondheim already scheduled

Apparently this is going to be an In Memoriam performance by Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom, Jr., Ben Platt and Rachel Zegler.  I am truly hoping this is a one-off just to memorialize Stephen and will not be a repeat of the mess The Oscars made of the In Memoriam segment.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I love Bruno Mars.  

That is all (for now, anyway.  Wait till I don't shut up when Jon Batiste shows up...)

I'm going to be flipping between the Grammys and "Idol" tonight, and funny enough, a couple contestants on "Idol" are covering a Bruno Mars song right now :p. 

I'm rooting for Jon Batiste! Would love to see him sweep the awards tonight. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I love Bruno Mars but I wasn't crazy about the song.

So Olivia Rodrigo is a stalker?

The first time I heard that song was the SNL sketch, so now I just laugh at it.  Which is so not the point of the song.  It was a nice car on the set, though.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
Just now, Crashcourse said:

I really only tuned in to watch BTS.

This song is a total earworm.  It actually made me look forward to those Samsung phone commercials.

And I'm definitely not in their demographic.  (In other words, I'm old).

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

This song is a total earworm.  It actually made me look forward to those Samsung phone commercials.

Me too, lol :)  I find them fun & their music catchy

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Same here! 😄

29 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The first time I heard that song was the SNL sketch, so now I just laugh at it.  Which is so not the point of the song.  It was a nice car on the set, though.

I like the slow jam song, Leave the Door Open. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Ha, I know the feeling :D. There's stuff I like that isn't part of my age range, either. But hey, good music is good music regardless of the era it came out in, I say! I'm not super familiar with BTS' music outside of a couple songs and such, but from what I do know about them, I totally get why they're so popular. I'm glad that every generation gets to have its' boy band craze, so to speak :D. 

I missed their performance, but I am recording the Grammys, so I'll give it a look when I watch the whole thing back - all the raving about it has me curious!

• Love 4

Snerk.  I know the names of most of the nominees and performers and presenters, but couldn’t sing a note of 99% of any of the songs mentioned tonight.

I laughed at Trevor Noah’s joke about what Finneas’s last name is, because The Grammys stepped all over the punchline by giving his full name in the next category.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3