Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, the thread count was one of my most pressing issues about this performance.

Oh man, if there was an audience this year, some of the older voters would have passed out clutching their pearls. 

• LOL 6
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

I was laughing my ass off just now while the performance of that song was going thinking about who might be mad about it tomorrow. 

Woo boy, I can imagine who is going to be screaming about that tomorrow. Yes, it was filthy, but I will defend their right to do it till my last breath. Boys have done it for years and no one bats an eye. Go on with your nasty selves, Cardi and Meghan!

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Megan seems like she would be really really fun to hang out with.

Right? I was surprised by how not ratchet she is—in the pre-taped segment and in her acceptance speech. I expected her to be, I don’t know—louder? Always speaking with sexual innuendos? I guess every artist has a public persona or an aspect of their personality that they exaggerate for performances. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I loved the homage to the Nicholas brothers’ tap performance from Stormy Weather. 

Edited by topanga

Meghan Thee Stallion's enthusiasm is adorable. Her solo number not only had the flava that Dua Lipa's lacked, it even had a split-over-split Nicholas Brothers reference.

7 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Also, why is the lovely Beyonce up onstage with her?.

Beyonce was on the "Savage" remix.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

How did Megan get back into her dress so quickly?  Was the performance pre-taped?

A lot of them were this year, but they seem to have a better flow in the set ups compared to the VMAs. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Megan seems like she would be really really fun to hang out with.

It really is hard not to like someone with such an easy, infectious laugh.

I have to say the whole show has been much, much more fun than the Golden Globes a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I know more performances help. But still.

Oscars take note.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I have to say the whole has been much, much more fun than the golden Globes a few weeks ago.

Yeah, i know more performances help. But still.

The Grammys had the VMAs, BET awards and the American Music Awards before it. I think they went over what worked and what didn’t for the others and adjusted it to their needs.  They were a lot more inventive overall. We know the ratings are going to be awful but I feel this has been one of the better Grammys in the past few years.

• Love 8

Love the Apollo Theater tribute, but it's not a "small venue," by a long shot . It's not only had some of the best performers in the world, it's famous in its own right, because of the audiences. Whether they love you or hate you, they'll tell you, in no uncertain terms.

Post Malone always looks like he needs a bath and a flea dip-or three of each.

Edited by DollEyes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Love the Apollo Theater tribute, but calling it a small venue is an insult. 

It’s physically small though...maybe 1200 tops. 

The Bey Hive must be losing it right now. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Dang. Taylor is the only female artist to win album of the year 3 times. 

She was the first female artist to win it twice, before Adele tied that record. So, expecting that to happen again whenever Adele releases her next album.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Dang. Taylor is the only female artist to win album of the year 3 times. 

And that would be less teeth grating for me if I didn't whole heartedly feel like she didn't deserve the second - #JusticeforKendrickLamar. Interesting though that despite all that success, she has no SOTY or ROTY wins. 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

It’s physically small though...maybe 1200 tops. 

The Bey Hive must be losing it right now. 

The Apollo Theater may be physically small, but its cultural and global impact are anything but. The Apollo Theater is arguably the toughest audience in the world and anyone who plays there had better be at the top of their game or else. BTW, I changed that part of my quote.

When it comes to Beyonce', while I'm not at Beyhive levels of fandom, I've got the utmost respect for her talent, her style and her hustle. For a woman to have lasted this long in the business and broken a Grammy record on top of that is impressive, to say the least.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, topanga said:

Queen Bey with the new record!

But not a single Album of the Year. Because this is what they do. It's the same reason Kanye West had something like 20 but no AOTY. Because they throw them wins in the smaller categories so they can say, "see they have all these wins".

But when it comes to the big enchilada, yeah no, suddenly the Rap/Hip Hop and R&B doesn't quite cut it. But a Billie Eilish can pop up with one album and sweep the entire major categories. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I’m staring at the list for song of the year and can’t imagine how Blinding Lights isn’t in there. It’s awesome, catchy, and was the number one song last year. I usually roll my eyes when singers act butt hurt for not being nominated but The Weeknd deserves to be pissed. Hell, I’m pissed. If you didn’t like his album, fine. But not have that song nominated once tonight? Bullshit.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6

I have lost count at how many times I’ve seen BTS perform this song at different set ups and venues this year.!

Same!  I had no idea I knew one of their songs but I know that one.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Yes.  I know he smells awful.  I know he does.

19 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And that would be less teeth grating for me if I didn't whole heartedly feel like she didn't deserve the second - #JusticeforKendrickLamar. Interesting though that despite all that success, she has no SOTY or ROTY wins. 

I can understand the first one.  Maybe.  But beating Kendrick?  That’s a no.  That should not have happened.

• Love 1

Forgot to add that I will never get the Dua Lipa hype. Sorry, not sorry, to me she's a poor man's Robyn who is so hyped and successful because of her looks. She's a stunning woman with average pop songs - a winning combo. 

eta: Nothing, and I mean nothing, I have ever heard from Dua Lipa even comes close to the pop perfection that is Dancing on My Own, Call Your Girlfriend, Can't Handle Me, etc. As you can tell, I'm a huge Robyn fan. 

And that paint by numbers, high school talent show dance routine she did tonight, wasn't it. Even the barely clothed body wasn't enough to distract me from the mediocrity. Hell, just compare Dua Lipa to Gaga's debut Fame album to understand again how mediocre her shit is.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Billie Eilish again everyone. Is anyone shocked? Her song sounds just like the stuff she won with last year. Even she seemed embarrassed she won.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:
53 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Yes.  I know he smells awful.  I know he does. 

My aunt and uncle live next door to Post Malone's parents (when they're not in Utah) and have met him a few times. No comments on him smelling bad, they said he was very polite and kind of shy.

• Love 1

Oh looky, Billie Eilish has another Grammy Award. Joy. And here's the thing, I have nothing against Billie. I still say she's like a less talented version of Lorde. But again, it just grates that she can pop on the scene, get some hype and win all these Grammys. Taylor Swift, a mediocre singer, albeit decent songwriter and producer can have three AOTY Grammy Awards. 

And Beyonce still has not a single AOTY. And Kendrick Lamar, a man who has never had an album get anything less than near perfect reviews, also has no AOTY. Yeah I have feeling about this. Also, WTF on Buju Banton not winning Best Reggae Album. The hell?

• Love 8

That Ringo Starr's jacket is positioned in a way that it looks like his shirt is giving the finger and not the peace sign may just be the moment of the show for me.

And after all the talk about diversity they give their top two awards to Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish. No comment.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Slade347 said:

And after all the talk about diversity they give their top two awards to Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish. No comment.

Compared to the video from the interim CEO, not great.

Compared to Neil Portnoy who said 3 years ago that “women need to step up” in order to win, a vast improvement. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Oh looky, Billie Eilish has another Grammy Award. Joy. And here's the thing, I have nothing against Billie. I still say she's like a less talented version of Lorde. But again, it just grates that she can pop on the scene, get some hype and win all these Grammys. Taylor Swift, a mediocre singer, albeit decent songwriter and producer can have three AOTY Grammy Awards. 

And Beyonce still has not a single AOTY. And Kendrick Lamar, a man who has never had an album get anything less than near perfect reviews, also has no AOTY. Yeah I have feeling about this. Also, WTF on Buju Banton not winning Best Reggae Album. The hell?

I think that's how the academy is set up, unfortunately. If I'm not mistaken, members vote within their own genres but the general fields are voted by everyone. And that's why mediocre and safe music continues to dominate in the general fields.

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, argrow said:

I still don't understand Billie Eilish.

In every way possible.  I don’t understand why she’s popular, why she’s winning all these awards.  I don’t understand a word she says when she speaks, when she sings.  I don’t understand why her brother is always there.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 5

I love Megan Thee Stallion, and not just for her music but because she's a smart woman, too. I can't remember who I saw her interviewing with last summer (possibly Colbert), but she told him that she's currently working on her BSN because she knows she needs her education to fall back on for if/when her music career reaches its end. I found that to be incredibly refreshing, and not something you ever hear a popular artist say they're making a priority.

Also respect how she clearly sang live while dancing...pretty sure Cardi B wasn't singing live.

Lil Baby's performance with Killer Mike (and a woman I didn't recognize) brought me to tears, as did Mickey Guyton's song.

Beyonce tripped over her words when she realized she was acknowledging her oldest daughter but not the younger daughter. Made me laugh. 

It also made me laugh when Megan was talking about being a little girl and resolving to be the Beyonce of rap (but a little ratchet) when she grew up. I'm the same age as Beyonce, and, granted, Megan was 4-years-old when The Writing's On the Wall was released, but...damn. Way to make a woman who's still in her 30s sound old.

And it kind of bums me out that Harry was the first member of One Direction to win a Grammy. I think Niall Horan is an incredibly talented singer and songwriter, but Harry has a much bigger machine behind him, so...oh well.

• Love 1

As a show, I thought was a very well done production. I also like how everyone sat at tables. I think all the awards should ape the Golden Globes in that regard, perhaps have all of the big nominees sit at tables. 

I love Dua Lipa’s polished pop aesthetic. Her Physical is such a gem. Future Nostalgia was my album of the year. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, dvr devotee said:

And it kind of bums me out that Harry was the first member of One Direction to win a Grammy. I think Niall Horan is an incredibly talented singer and songwriter, but Harry has a much bigger machine behind him, so...oh well.

I was never a huge One Direction fan but to me, much like Justin Timberlake, Harry ultimately being the solo breakout star was never in doubt. 

It’s more than just raw talent as is often the case in the entertainment industry. Harry has a vibe and aesthetic that makes him appear cooler, edgier and seemingly more interesting. 

No offense to Niall but he gives off nice guy across the street vibe. Not exactly star quality.

• Love 1