Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Brittany Howard solo is amazinggggggg! To see her live is LIFE! Listen to Georgia, He Loves Me, and Stay High. 
I think she’s creative and will be back with the Shakes. She’s an artist. Not on a quest for anything but the love of music and expressing herself. I am a fan girl. 

• Love 2

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but it was done by the Grammys-- did anyone see the tribute to Prince?  I watched most of it--I think my favorite part that kicked it up a notch was Usher's performance.  I am not a big Usher person, but I thought he did a great job with the overall performance and bringing some energy to the show.  

• Love 1

Watched because Chris Martin (my god) was performing. Some of the songs seemed rushed. I didn't care for Mavis Staples' Purple Rain. And...Wendy Melvoin! I always thought she was so cool.

• Love 2

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I saw and liked Miguel, St. Vincent (wow, what legs!) and H.E.R.'s performances. Sheila E has put on a few pounds, but she looked great and full of energy. 

I HATED John Legend being given my favorite Prince song 'Nothing Compares'; I thought his stage show and arrangement were very Las Vegas-y, and his 'interpretation' was all hammy show-boating, with none of the despair and pain that this song expresses.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I HATED John Legend being given my favorite Prince song 'Nothing Compares'; I thought his stage show and arrangement were very Las Vegas-y, and his 'interpretation' was all hammy show-boating, with none of the despair and pain that this song expresses.

I didn't see his performance. I've always found John Legend appealing as a person and want to love his music, but I just... don't.

In my opinion, there can never be a rendition of Nothing Compares 2 U that captures, as @sempervivum said, the despair and pain that this song is about with such incredible beauty as that of Sinead O'Connor

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
On 4/22/2020 at 7:25 PM, cpcathy said:

This cover is my favorite. I got to see it in person.

Wow, I had no idea that James Corden was a "real" singer.  I've seen him on the Tonys and such, but I mean, a REAL, SERIOUS singer who can do justice to one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  I had to mute Legend...

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2020 at 8:09 AM, cpcathy said:

. I didn't care for Mavis Staples' Purple Rain. And...Wendy Melvoin! I always thought she was so cool.

I was thinking that they already used Gary Clark Jr twice and before he emerged  John Mayer  would get the guest guitar solo gig.

1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

Wow... he's really bought into his own hype, hasn't he? 

I'd managed to avoid that song ... until now.  It's not very good. 

I do love Trevor, though. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I'd managed to avoid that song ... until now.  It's not very good. 

I do love Trevor, though. 

The song is horrible. Granted, I might just not get it, but I find it completley stupid and pointless. 

• Love 1

Is it really music's biggest night when the artist who had the song of the pandemic isn't nominated?  Whatever one thinks of Blinding Lights, you don't go a full YEAR in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 and somehow isn't good enough for anything. 

I liked Dua Lipa's first half of her performance.  Then I was like "um...this isn't great." She's not a dancer. 

• Love 5
Just now, DollEyes said:

Taylor Swift's performance is like the best backyard barbecue ever.

Great set (stage set, I mean) and I loved her dress.  Otherwise I find her... there. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I liked Dua Lipa's first half of her performance.  Then I was like "um...this isn't great." She's not a dancer. 

Her body is banging, I will give her that. But she dances as well as I do, which is to say, not a dancer in the least. Was she lip synching, too?

• Love 3

I like Dua Lipa and her performance was cute, but dance-wise, she's no Janet Jackson.

Harry Styles is like the British Justin Timberlake-he started in a boy band, went solo and became a movie star. However, JT could never rock dresses and boas like Styles.

From now on when an artist dies and the Grammys want to pay tribute, Bruno Mars should be their first choice.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Harry Styles is like the British Justin Timberlake-he started in a boy band, went solo and became a movie star. However, JT could never rock dresses and boas like Styles.

Harry Styles wins his first as his ex bandmate is trending with#fuckthegrammys due to the secret nomination process. 

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I still get chills seeing and hearing clips of Eddie Van Halen's guitar solos. Chills.

The lone guitar on the stage made for a gutting visual.

When Dua Lipa was performing I was also reading, and every time I looked up she had less and less clothes on.  Not complaining or judging, it just made me laugh.  I’d probably dress like that too if I looked like that.  I’m envious of her apparent discipline, that’s for sure.

• Love 6

Some of Lionel Richie's behavior may be cringe, but the Kenny Rogers tribute was perfect.

Seeing Eddie Van Halen's guitar and hearing his music again was powerful. I expected John Mayer or Gary Clark Jr. to do it, but that tribute was amazing.

Speaking of amazing, that also describes Brandi Carlisle's tribute to John Prine. Sometimes the simplest tributes are the best.

Brittany Howard is awesome, Johnny Walker commercial or not.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Jon Mayer seems to turn up in the most random places.  

I rewound during this performance, because I missed the Eddie Van Halen moment during the tribute segment.  When I got back to where I left off, I thought “That is John Mayer”.  

Really?  A live performance of WAP? This should be interesting..

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, argrow said:

Damn, Brittany Howard. DAMN.

I'm behind, so I haven't seen/heard her yet tonight, but I pretty much feel that way whenever I do, so I'll say an amen right now.

I have no problem with Harry Styles wearing a boa or a dress, but I take fashion offense at the bellbottoms. PLEASE don't bring that fashion atrocity back!

I like Trevor telling them they'll be a'ight if they lose, based on who else didn't win. But I usually like Trevor. 

And yes, Lincoln getting John Batiste is the first time I've even considered them an actual car vs just a rumor.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Really?  A live performance of WAP? This should be interesting..

I was laughing my ass off just now while the performance of that song was going thinking about who might be mad about it tomorrow. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Really?  A live performance of WAP? This should be interesting

It was pretty EPIC.  I started wondering how long it was going to go. Not usually by style of music, but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

• Love 6