Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't get Beyonce. At all.

Join the club. It's always nice to come across a fellow member of what seems to be a small group.  Her songs have no melody, she catawalls through them, and when she speaks, she sounds like she has a mouth full of marbles. She has had the benefit of very smart, savvy men helping her (her father and now her husband.) I know that this is a minority opinion, but there, I said it.

[Did you see the very funny SNL short last year where admitting you don't like Beyonce results in being treated like a criminal and Jack and Chloe from "24" need to help you hide?]

• Love 21

LOL at Sir Macca rocking out to ELO, seemingly by himself. They really knew how to do catchy, hook-laden fun songs. Love 'em.

[Trivia - someone once asked John Lennon in the late-1970s what the Beatles would be doing, music-wise, if they were still a band. Lennon said, probably something like ELO. He meant it complimentarily.]

UGH. Taylor is doing her stupid rich-girl-at-Coachella dancing.

• Love 11

LOL at Sir Macca rocking out to ELO, seemingly by himself. They really knew how to do catchy, hook-laden fun songs. Love 'em.

[Trivia - someone once asked John Lennon in the late-1970s what the Beatles would be doing, music-wise, if they were still a band. Lennon said, probably something like ELO. He meant it complimentarily.]

UGH. Taylor is doing her stupid rich-girl-at-Coachella dancing.

Yeah, I've always kind of considered Jeff Lynne the 7th Beatle, right behind George Martin and Billy Preston. At least spiritually. (Oh crap, my math was off.  I'm still wrapped up in counting lip licks)

Edited by kib
  • Love 2

No Sir Paul, don't be embarrassed. I'd rather watch you enjoying yourself than Taylor over-dancing.

Poor Josh Duhamel. I saw him trip and for some reason it looked like he blamed Julian Edelman.

So wait they got Ryan Seacrest to present two singers who are on a show that a lot of people say is superior to American Idol? That's cold. (I am not one of those people, I just cannot quit AI.)

• Love 5
The Grammys need to fix their eligibility timeframe.

Funny thing, they actually extended it some years ago. It used to be August 30 and now is September 30. I get the feeling that some songs feel old but that's just how things work. Many artists go for the Black Friday period because sales are traditionally huge then but then that means they're not eligible for nominations.

And if the album becomes huge, then they end up getting nominated a whole year later where by then it feels like the song is old and boring now. And this has actually hurt some artists - I'm convinced that's why Gaga's Bad Romance didn't get a ROTY or SOTY nomination. Because she missed the eligibility for the previous year and by the next year there were just too many other songs that had exploded. 

What in the blue hell is this boring mess with Maroon 5 and Gwen Stefani? WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS YEAR'S SHOW? Gwen looks gorgeous though.

Edited by truthaboutluv

"Drunk in Love" won "Best R&B Song". Wow. That's...yeah. I mean, I like that song in a ratchet yelling-in-your-car kind of way, but that's not good. And Beyonce and Jay did that song last year at Grammy's. I remember because Beyonce barely sang it. And I think Beyonce is on medication. For real. I don't mean she's taking bumps of coke, but I think she's on anti-depressants or something. Sometimes she doesn't look like she's all...there.

I like resident ginger Ed Sheeran and I enjoy this wedding song better than "Don't" because Don't is Jason Mraz hipster bullshit. But why is he singing this with John Mayer? And why is John Mayer dressed like Elvis Costello? And is his mic on? And why are all these talented musicians backing up The A-Team Guy? And Ed Sheeran looks weird up close. Something about his eyes. Either they're a little too far apart or he's got a lazy eye or something. As long as he keeps the ginger bangs scooped up front we'll good.

Ryan Seacrest should've been the host. Something about him being there and his deep, "official" voice really prepares you for something.

What's up with Gwen Stefani's hair? It looks like she got her ass kicked backstage and got put back together just before it was time to sing. She sounds like shit, too.

Are the Grammy's usually this ballad heavy? This seems rather slow and almost depressing (says the woman in Old Navy sweatpants, drinking $13 red wine and eating leftover Hamburger Helper. I'm as klassy as this award show).

• Love 18

Hooty-hoo, Anne Lennox coming up !!!!

(Note to Madge: This is how one grows older with nothing but grace and class)

Grace, class and a covered up ass!

Warning to Miley, watch out Madonna could be you in 30 years.

• Love 6

Are the Grammy's usually this ballad heavy? This seems rather slow and almost depressing (says the woman in Old Navy sweatpants, drinking $13 red wine and eating leftover Hamburger Helper. I'm as klassy as this award show).

that's picking in the high cotton around my place...

• Love 3

When I heard "Take Me to Church" the first time this is NOT what I thought the guy was going to look like but hot damn he is right in my wheelhouse.

Me too, mojoween!  It's too bad he can't actually hit the notes live.

Oh man, I'm getting chills listening to Annie and Hozier. Two people who do NOT need backing tracks or autotune.

ETA: I too think he is nice to look at. With all the ELO/George Harrison references above, he's giving me a George-during-the-Concert-for-Bangladesh-era vibe. A nice vibe indeed.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 9