Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I seriously can't watch these Matthew McConaughey commercials without thinking about Jim Carrey's impersonation on SNL. And not to go on another political rant, but: these fucking truth.com commercials are funny. It's funny how we live in a time where smoking cigarettes has never been less popular but smoking pot has never been more popular. Marlboros? Bad. Ganja? Rock on. Huh??

And Lady Gaga looks like a drag queen, which is a bit of a facile criticism, it fits. She's another one who "sold out" to hit it big. Gaga used to be a raven-haired singer-songwriter in the vein of Norah Jones.

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 1

Eric Church needs to stop thinking he can hit high notes. But he gets props for putting Pizza Hut and his state champion jacket in a song.

Just wish he'd have sung The Outsiders. That song is insane

• Love 3

'Cause you're not cool until you wear sunglasses indoors on stage. Just ask Bono.

Only Stevie Wonder should be wearing shades on stage.

Dwight Yoakum? Ever since he met his well deserved death in Sling Blade, I can only picture him without the hat. Not good,

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 4

Ok Eric Church.  Enough with the sunglasses inside at night.  Doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look pretentious. 

Only missing wearing a bluetooth receiver in his ear...

• Love 1

I think it's because CBS doesn't want any "scandal" or controversy.  At this point, I'd rather have Miley Cyrus or Taylor, at least they wouldn't be singing ballads .  Actually, I'd love to have Queen and Adam Lambert - it would be upbeat and fun to watch, and then the water cooler conversation could be all about whether or not having Adam sing Freddie is sacrilege.

• Love 4
Seriously though. Maybe it was just that everything seems better through the eyes of your youth, but man. When I was young, I was SO excited to watch the Grammys every year. They were fantastic... it was an event! And the performances (vintage Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, etc...) were talked about (in a good way) for a long time afterward.  This show isn't just bad... it's boring.  That's a depressing commentary on the state of popular music today.

I think a big part of it is because so many artists release shit all year and use the Grammys to show that they're "serious artists". So we get the Serious Artistic Performances. It's good when it's just another performance, though. Like when Pink did "Glitter in the Sky". A lot of people thought that was a special performance for the Grammys when she would do it every night on tour. You have a lot of artists that don't put a lot of thought and creativity into their performances that try to get all profound on the Grammys and it doesn't work.

I like Eric Church. I take him more seriously than Swishy Pete Luke Bryan.

• Love 1
Oh my god.  Did NO ONE release up-tempo songs this year?

I just..I can't. When I think of last year with Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons, Pharrell, Stevie Wonder and Daft Punk, Robin Thicke with  Chicago, even Katy Perry. Like what is this mess? I mean hell here's Ri-Ri on but doing something with an acoustic guitar. I just...WHY? Who is producing this this year?

• Love 5

Hasn't it been about 45 minutes since they gave out an award?

Well, since I am sure that Sam Smith will win them all, I am okay with that.

If only Jay Pharaoh was doing his Kanye impression.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

Kanye's performance: sing a line, look to the heavens like you're praying. Sing a line, kneel a little off to one side like a pretentious twat. Sing a line, shake a jazz hand. Listen to Rhianna sing a line, spread your arms like you're nailed onto a cross. Doesn't Paul McCartney deserve better?

ETA: Should sing be in quotation marks, like "sing"?

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 12

When the country singers were standing on the platform after their song was over, the applause was deafening. As I looked at the audience, not one person was clapping their hands. I replayed the scene again and sister and hubby confirmed exactly what I saw. WTF?

Well, I do have to say it's refreshing to see Rihanna "dressed down" for once.  Hell, I didn't even mind the pink puffy cotton candy explosion she wore on the red carpet because it was something with a bit of modesty (read: her chest and behind weren't hanging out of barely-there fabric and pasties).  She is an absolutely stunningly beautiful woman and it was nice to see that shine through tonight instead of getting overshadowed by the SHOCK VALUE of "OMG boobies!" 

• Love 5

Poor Kanye..he tries so hard. But if Paul can still be productive and relevant at 70 without crotch grabbing and man-cleavage. Perhaps you can too. Of course there is that other thing Paul does have....TALENT.

They looked like three people up there performing at the same time but not together.

• Love 3

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU TAYLOR!!!

But he is another one of her "friends". I think Taylor confuses acquaintances with friends.

Mary J Blige makes this song way more entertaining than Sam Smith does.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 3

WendyCR72:

I'm not lying when I say that @LennieBriscoe is the best username ever. You, sir or madam, win the internet.

*blushes* I gotta give props to The Man as best I can! (madam, BTW) :-)

I'm still trying to figure out Sir Paul's reason for his inclusion on that song, as I couldn't discern his voice.

Love Juanes! Vive!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

Taylor Swift about Sam Smith: He stays true to himself. Uh, this was the same guy with the copyright dispute over a Tom Petty song, right? 

Obviously that wine haze hasn't effected your critical reasoning skills, you still appear smarter than Ms. Swift.  Carry on.

• Love 5