Type keyword(s) to search

Silicon Valley in the Media

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, scrb said:

TJ Miller gives interview.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tj-miller-says-leaving-silicon-valley-was-like-a-breakup-1016573

Doesn't sound like an amicable parting.  He's so busy it messed up production schedules.  But without the show, will he get as many bookings, sell out as many venues?  I saw his HBO special, didn't really feel it.

He seems quite full of himself (though it's difficult to tell from a transcript whether he's being serious), but he's not wrong about the show having become repetitive.

Anthony Anderson (Black-ish), Kevin Bacon (I Love Dick), Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta), Ted Danson (The Good Place), William H. Macy (Shameless), and Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) at the Hollywood Reporter's comedy actor roundtable:

(edited)

Emmy nominations:

Best Comedy Series

Directing for a Comedy Series - Jamie Babbit (“Intellectual Property”)

Directing for a Comedy Series - Mike Judge ("Server Error")

Writing for a Comedy Series - Alec Berg (“Success Failure”)

Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour or Less) - Richard Toyon, Jaclyn Hauser & Jennifer Mueller

Casting for a Comedy Series - Jeanne McCarthy, Nicole Abellera Hallman & Leslie Woo

Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour) - Tim Suhrstedt

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series  - Brian Merken

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series  - Tim Roche

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I sincerely don't know what TJ Miller is doing with his recent interviews. He's not popular or well known enough to be such a jerk, yet here he is being a total jerk.

The movie he did was terrible. I saw his stand up special and thought it was not funny, not even a little bit. I guess he thinks he's got a bunch of opportunities outside of being on the show and maybe he did before the industry heard his opinions. But men do tend to get more chances so maybe he'll be ok. I was so bummed when I heard he was leaving the show but I don't think I'll be watching him in the future. 

• Love 5
On 7/30/2017 at 2:10 AM, msani19 said:

I sincerely don't know what TJ Miller is doing with his recent interviews. He's not popular or well known enough to be such a jerk, yet here he is being a total jerk.

The movie he did was terrible. I saw his stand up special and thought it was not funny, not even a little bit. I guess he thinks he's got a bunch of opportunities outside of being on the show and maybe he did before the industry heard his opinions. But men do tend to get more chances so maybe he'll be ok. I was so bummed when I heard he was leaving the show but I don't think I'll be watching him in the future. 

I agree - honestly his character was wearing pretty thin on me too.  Good riddance.

• Love 2

Maybe this season, they will start out in a good, strong position with their "New Internet" concept, then things will gradually get worse until the end of the season, and a new breakthrough will come.  That would be a great new twist!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, scrb said:

From the article:

"There is no question that T.J. is really funny and that Erlich was really funny," says Judge. "But I think there was only one time in the room where it was like, 'Oh, that would've been a good thing for Erlich.' There have been way more times where I've said, 'I wish we had Chris Evan Welch back.'"

Burn! I completely agree with this, but I'm still surprised Mike Judge said it on the record.

The comments on the show's FB page mostly bemoan T.J.'s exit, but I'm looking forward to see what the dynamic is like without him. He tended to be very broad with his comedy and chew the scenery quite a bit. I'll only miss Erlich's scenes with Jian Yang, and that's mostly because of Jian Yang.

ETA: The cover photo looks like they're testing a new jerking-off algorithm

10cover_lores_-_p_2018.jpg

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

That was an interesting article about T.J. Miller.  I had no idea he was so unreliable and high maintenance.  He needs to realize that even though his career is on an upswing right now, he's really just a character actor and he doesn't have the luxury of being difficult to work with.

I liked the character but they did have to come up with new ways for him to stay involved.

Then again, they're always going to have these guys fail, so that's kind of a running joke, that they're the Bad News Bears of tech.

If Miller wasn't such a PITA, I'm sure they'd have kept him on the show, come up with new story ideas.

17 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Looks like Miller's road to self-destruction has just taken a very sharp turn. It's sad to see happening, but he won't be the first, nor the last, to spiral down a dark path. This stunt could potentially land him in federal prison for five years.

A drunken T.J. Miller was arrested for calling in a fake bomb threat.

From the article, it sounds like Miller got into an argument with a woman on his train, and wanted to get her in trouble for carrying a bomb.  But then he called 911 and identified the wrong train.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2018 at 6:26 AM, RayAdverb said:

From the article, it sounds like Miller got into an argument with a woman on his train, and wanted to get her in trouble for carrying a bomb.  But then he called 911 and identified the wrong train.

He's pretty much flushing his career down the drain. Which sucks because he's been in some high profile stuff and can be really funny.  He's doing it to himself though. According to IMDB he's reprising his role in the Deadpool sequel, I wonder with this latest stuff if they'll cut him out or cut some of his scenes.

• Love 1

Is there a reason this season is only 8 episodes? I was assuming it was 10, like every season except the first, and was surprised to see that next Sunday is the finale. It doesn't feel like this season has had much momentum.

• Love 1

Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Comedy Series
Outstanding Writing For A Comedy Series - Fifty-One Percent by Alec Berg
Outstanding Directing For A Comedy Series - Initial Coin Offering by Mike Judge
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour Or Less) - Tech Evangelist
Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Creative Achievement In Interactive Media Within A Scripted Program - Interactive World: Not Hotdog, VR & Twitter-Powered Pizza Drones
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation - Fifty-One Percent