Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: What The World Needs Now

Cranberry

The only part I really liked was when Brittany told Santana's grandma, basically, that they couldn't wait to get rid of prejudiced people like her. Because it's true, sometimes you just can't spend your life trying to be accepted by others, even if you love them. She deserved a big Fuck You.

I thought it was very over the top, and completely inappropriate to have Brittany being the one telling grandma off.

That all gay guys on the show minus Spencer have a fondness for elaborate wardrobe choices at highschool and have an encyclopediac knowledge of every show tune and stage celebrity for the last 50 years.

Karofsky and Sebastian beg to differ. 

I think there was way too much Brittany in the episode.  While some of the numbers and the last scene at Will's house were fun, there were many scenes that were just awful.  Mercedes and the newbies building up Rachel so that she would go to the audition?  As mentioned earlier, Rachel giving her word regarding her dedication to ND and then going to NY.  But especially, Brittany's intolerant speech about someone else's intolerance.  I think there's a way to express one's viewpoint and disagreement without stating that one is glad that someone is old and sick and therefore will be dying soon.  Oh well.

• Love 6
But especially, Brittany's intolerant speech about someone else's intolerance.  I think there's a way to express one's viewpoint and disagreement without stating that one is glad that someone is old and sick and therefore will be dying soon.  Oh well.

Yes.  There has to be a better way to make clear you disagree with someone's viewpoint than bringing up their eventual death.  I mean, if it is your hope that person eventually will change their mind, this is not the way to go about it.  

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I mean, if it is your hope that person eventually will change their mind, this is not the way to go about it.  

The point of that speech that Brittany had spent the whole episode insisting to Santana that they should reach out to her and that she could be brought around, and after she rejected them, Brittany decided she didn't care anymore.

• Love 3

Karofsky and Sebastian beg to differ. 

You mean the two other gays in the village who have disappeared off the reservation for seasons at a time ? I don't remember Sebastian ever wearing anything other than the Warbler outfit so I can't comment on his fashion choices. It's a shame that the actor who played Sebastian got his own show where he's the main character so Blaine couldn't date someone that had bullied him as well.

Karofsky showed up as a straight bully for most of his 29 episodes and Sebastian was only in 7... so their net effect on contribution to gay stereotypes pales in comparison to Kurt and Blaine.

Edited by wayne67
The point of that speech that Brittany had spent the whole episode insisting to Santana that they should reach out to her and that she could be brought around, and after she rejected them, Brittany decided she didn't care anymore.

That's fine.  My point was that there has to be a better way to do that, than what we saw. 

That's fine.  My point was that there has to be a better way to do that, than what we saw. 

Perhaps the point of the scene was that Britney was burning the bridge between Santana and her Abuela. Normally I'd say that it was short sighted and stupid and mean spirited and completely inappropriate but it's Glee and nothing these people do has any real consequences. Abuela basically disowned Santana 3 years ago so at this point it's a case of I waited and hoped you cooled off about your hatred of my love life but guess not so goodbye.

It was ham handed and felt way too like it was saying to the audience "Fuck the haters, give them both barrels."

It's a terrible message and a mediocre scene but I did enjoy that her heart didn't magically grow 3 sizes bigger after lies, deception and a song.

• Love 1

You mean the two other gays in the village who have disappeared off the reservation for seasons at a time ? I don't remember Sebastian ever wearing anything other than the Warbler outfit so I can't comment on his fashion choices. It's a shame that the actor who played Sebastian got his own show where he's the main character so Blaine couldn't date someone that had bullied him as well.

Karofsky showed up as a straight bully for most of his 29 episodes and Sebastian was only in 7... so their net effect on contribution to gay stereotypes pales in comparison to Kurt and Blaine.

No, I mean not all gay guys, because you generalized en masse "all gay guys on the show minus Spencer". If you consider all the gay guys - Spencer = only Kurt and Blaine, I don't. I remember Sebastian appearing in his own clothes in The First Time, the gay bar scene. 

Edited by fakeempress

No, I mean not all gay guys, because you generalized en masse "all gay guys on the show minus Spencer". If you consider all the gay guys - Spencer = only Kurt and Blaine, I don't. I remember Sebastian appearing in his own clothes in The First Time, the gay bar scene. 

Probably because I forgot that Sebastian and Karofsky existed. My mistake obviously. I'll rephrase then. Kurt and Blaine are boring repetitive and toxic together and they are tedious talking about old show tunes and celebrities ranging back to the 1950's.

I just remembered Adam and that other band member in Kurt's New York Band. There were other gay guys on the show but they were non events . Kurt and Blaine seem to represent a particular gay stereotype and their screen time emphasises that stereotype excessively in my opinion.

Probably because I forgot that Sebastian and Karofsky existed. My mistake obviously. I'll rephrase then. Kurt and Blaine are boring repetitive and toxic together and they are tedious talking about old show tunes and celebrities ranging back to the 1950's.

I just remembered Adam and that other band member in Kurt's New York Band. There were other gay guys on the show but they were non events . Kurt and Blaine seem to represent a particular gay stereotype and their screen time emphasises that stereotype excessively in my opinion. 

If you want "non-stereotypical", non-show tunes gays to be the focal point, maybe you'll have better success with a show that isn't about show choir.

Edited by fakeempress

I thought it was very over the top, and completely inappropriate to have Brittany being the one telling grandma off.

Not at all.  Anyone in a committed relationship who sees someone doing emotional damage to their significant other is going to be concerned about that situation.  Brittany did the right thing saying get lost.

I think there was way too much Brittany in the episode.  While some of the numbers and the last scene at Will's house were fun, there were many scenes that were just awful.  Mercedes and the newbies building up Rachel so that she would go to the audition?  As mentioned earlier, Rachel giving her word regarding her dedication to ND and then going to NY.  But especially, Brittany's intolerant speech about someone else's intolerance.  I think there's a way to express one's viewpoint and disagreement without stating that one is glad that someone is old and sick and therefore will be dying soon.  Oh well.

That argument has been used for a long time in the defense of a great deal of injustice in this world.  The spin in which a person is labeled as intolerant because they don't tolerate the actions of people who persecute them and/or inflict emotional damage on them or their loved ones is nothing new.  Basically it goes like this.  If a person does not tolerate intolerance towards them they are intolerant themselves.  However as Karl Popper pointed out regarding the "paradox of tolerance", a person should not be expected to tolerate intolerance towards them. 

The reality is there is a massive difference between someone demonstrating intolerance by persecuting others and someone demonstrating intolerance by rejecting that persecution.  For example, when women were denied the right to vote in the US, when water fountains were segregated in the South, when Jewish individuals were not allowed to own businesses in many European counties, or when Prop 8 stripped away the right to same sex marriage in California - that is intolerance based in treating other people as inferior and unworthy of equal rights.  However when suffragettes marched, when young men and women refused orders to drink from a certain water fountain, when Jewish individuals fought for equal rights, or when LGBTQ individuals and their allies refused to continue relationships with people who gave money to strip away their rights, that is a very different type of intolerance - one in which people are protesting being treated as inferior and unworthy of equal rights.  The spin to imply that minorities refusing to be treated as inferior is same as people persecuting minorities is a false equivalency.

Santana's Grandmother disowning her is a vicious, hateful act that treats Santana as inferior based on her sexual orientation and unworthy of being a relative.  Brittany saying get lost to Santana's Grandmother is a warranted statement that she will not allow someone who inflicts damage on Santana to be part of Santana's life.  There are fellow gay men I know who follow the order of their parents not to bring their significant others to reunions, weddings, etc. or have gone back in the closet so as to not bother their parents.  These people tolerate intolerance.  If it is requested that my significant other not come to a wedding or reunion, than I am not going either and, unless the person requesting that takes it back, I see no reason to continue a relationship with them.  I am not going around trying to strip away the right for straight people to marry or disowning people for being straight.  I am simply refusing to tolerate me or my significant other being treated as inferior and unworthy of the same rights extended to others. 

The only part I really liked was when Brittany told Santana's grandma, basically, that they couldn't wait to get rid of prejudiced people like her. Because it's true, sometimes you just can't spend your life trying to be accepted by others, even if you love them. She deserved a big Fuck You.

I completely agree.  I know too many friends who have made their life hell trying to make relatives that are bigots happy.   There is no "terrible message" by Brittany.  One's life should not be spent indulging the hatred of others or trying to coddle them in the hopes they will come to change.  

Edited by dohe
  • Love 6

I thought Brittany was the right one to tell Abuela off.  I just didn't like how stilted and contrived it was.  They might as well have flashed PSA across the screen for how too on point it was.  It really seemed like she was reading an OpEd.  I also think having Brittany say "us hot young progressives need to teach old farts tolerance" earlier in the episode was Glee at its self congratulatory worst.  Glee certainly has contributed to the conversation of LGBTQ tolerance but I don't think it has had near the impact RM seems to think it has. Given that it makes me roll me eyes when Glee uses meta to wank itself over what RM perceives to be its impact on society.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2
I think there's a way to express one's viewpoint and disagreement without stating that one is glad that someone is old and sick and therefore will be dying soon

If you hate people long enough, they often begin to hate you back. Brittany made an effort, grandma affirmed her shitty position, and Brittany finally got pissed off and let her have it. I loved that she not only cut off the charm, but also indicated that people like grandma are ultimately insignificant and a dying breed. If grandma finds that painful, well, okay then, she should. It's the kind of pain she's tried to foist on her granddaughter all her life.

Not all of us think smiling through the pain is healthy or effective, and that people who dish it out should be exempt from taking it. In a way, it's condescending to think grandma can't do better. Why not? Because she's old? Set in her ways? Used to calling the shots? Brittany didn't make up those facts about generational change, and it's hard to feel bad for the majority suddenly becoming the minority, when they've abused their privileged position and made the lives of others hell. For us to walk away and declare them irrelevant is a far kinder treatment than what they dished to us when their point of view was the prevailing norm.

• Love 7
Used to calling the shots? Brittany didn't make up those facts about generational change, and it's hard to feel bad for the majority suddenly becoming the minority, when they've abused their privileged position and made the lives of others hell. For us to walk away and declare them irrelevant is a far kinder treatment than what they dished to us when their point of view was the prevailing norm.

This just makes it seem like it is all about revenge and hatred, and in the end, I think that only ends up causing a backlash.  I look at it this way: Brittany basically spent her time lying to grandma about who she was and what she was doing with grandma.  I don't give Brittany credit for then turning around and telling the woman off.  It is pretty condescending to tell someone about how their values are going to soon die out, because no one in the newer generations believes in them anymore. 

Edited by txhorns79

It is pretty condescending to tell someone about how their values are going to soon die out, because no one in the newer generations believes in them anymore. 

It's true though. I must be condescending because I don't even know how many times I've thought to myself that I can't wait until all those old, bigoted Republicans die off because, like Brittany said, they're just really annoying.  Plus, it's not like Brittany is just randomly calling an old lady out. This is the same woman who spent hours with Brittany talking about how wonderful marriage is and how she can't elope because family needs to be there because family is so important, but then it turns out, nope jk lol family is only important if you're straight, and if one of them is gay you can just disown that family member you claim to love.

Brittany knows that Santana's grandmother is/was one of the most important, influential people in her life, and I can't blame her for wanting to tell her off, after repeatedly hurting her fiancee over bigoted, soon-to-be outdated views. Later, Brittany expressed regret because she thought maybe she crossed a line, and Santana confirmed that she didn't, and she was in fact proud of Brittany defending her.

• Love 4

If you hate people long enough, they often begin to hate you back. Brittany made an effort, grandma affirmed her shitty position, and Brittany finally got pissed off and let her have it. I loved that she not only cut off the charm, but also indicated that people like grandma are ultimately insignificant and a dying breed. If grandma finds that painful, well, okay then, she should. It's the kind of pain she's tried to foist on her granddaughter all her life.

Not all of us think smiling through the pain is healthy or effective, and that people who dish it out should be exempt from taking it. In a way, it's condescending to think grandma can't do better. Why not? Because she's old? Set in her ways? Used to calling the shots? Brittany didn't make up those facts about generational change, and it's hard to feel bad for the majority suddenly becoming the minority, when they've abused their privileged position and made the lives of others hell. For us to walk away and declare them irrelevant is a far kinder treatment than what they dished to us when their point of view was the prevailing norm.

Well said.  I think one of the problems that exists is an inability to comprehend the sheer cruelty and, when it comes down to it, intense hatred that is homophobia.  The longtime outlawing of homosexuality, the extreme bullying in schools, the raids on gay bars, using people's sexuality to take away their children, the Prop 8 battle to strip away equal rights, disowning one's relatives, etc. is not a difference of opinion.  It is persecution.   Instead too often it depicted as a difference of opinion where we all have to respectfully disagree instead of what it is - the treating a minority as inferior and therefore worthy of being treated as subhuman.  

Brittany's speech was dead on in that the ship is sailing.  The time where LGBTQ individuals would plead their case for equality and go please see us as not being inferior is passing.  We have progressed past that.  Brittany saw someone acting despicable to her fiance and said no more.  If you love someone you don't stand there while a bigot rails against that person.  Brittany was not remotely condescending.  That is standing up for one's fiancé and saying you will not put up with someone else's attacks on your fiance anymore.  It is up to Santana's grandmother to change.  That is on her. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 5

I think Brittany was the right one to give that speech, because she was simultaneously both more distanced (in the long term) than Santana and oddly more hurt/betrayed.  Santana had 3 years to make a precarious sort of inner peace about losing her Abuela in her present life, but she also had years more of happy, loving childhood memories.  I think the tone of the speech would be a bit different, coming from Santana.

I liked this episode, but really I think it has to do with liking all of the songs and quite frankly there was nowhere to go but up after the last 2 weeks.

I think this episode set it up pretty clearly that Samchel is not endgame and will likely be a transitional phase until Rachel decides to go back to NY. Which is exactly how it should be IMO.

I loved the Samcedes scene. I wish they always wrote Sam like that, more like old school Sam. Plus, I just really enjoy Samcedes scenes. I agree though that it's odd that Mercedes is openly pushing Sam and Rachel together. I think it would be better off if she just expressed that she was sort of jealous but wasn't going to stop them from doing what they want to do.

Agreed with those that didn't think the Brittany parents scene was funny, and I love Jennifer Coolidge and like Ken Jeong. But I liked most of the Brittana stuff this week. With that said, I wish the focus was more on Santana instead of Brittany. I mean, the focus WAS more on Santana but in terms of screentime. I'd rather watch Naya than Heather. Although I do have to add, and I hate saying it, but Naya looked kind of off to me. Her lips, mainly.

Edited by Craphole Island

If you want "non-stereotypical", non-show tunes gays to be the focal point, maybe you'll have better success with a show that isn't about show choir.

Is there any need for Kurt and Blaine to have such an encyclopedic knowledge of fashion and show tunes going back 50 years to be in a show choir ? As you yourself said Sebastian was gay and in a show choir and didn't have either of those qualities.  More importantly Blaine and Kurt being so similar in their fashion and music obsessions make them dull.

It's like how they(the show)/ Blaine made that joke about the Warblers all being gay because they sing and dance... It feels like they're playing into the stereotype that guys who like to sing and dance are gay.

It's not like every other guy on the show choir knows every musical hit from the last 50 years and they're in show choir too. So I fail to understand what your point is exactly ?

Anyway I watch lots of shows with gays ranging throughout the spectrum but that doesn't mean I find caricatures interesting characters.

This just makes it seem like it is all about revenge and hatred, and in the end, I think that only ends up causing a backlash.

I agree with the AV Club's review of this, how they called it unapologetic. We used to beg for acceptance, try to explain that our sexuality was genetic and not our fault. Now the dialogue's progressed to, we like having sex with people of our own gender, there's nothing wrong with it and you're the one who has to apologize if you don't think it's ok. You can also see Brittany fighting back tears during that scene, which was a nice acting choice, she wasn't saying it to be hateful but out of frustration.

I kind of liked this episode, if I didn't think too much about it. For once on Glee, the girls are actually helping each other, not having cat fights or being lectured to by straight white men. Brittany should've been this prominent in Santana's coming out process, rather than Finn singing Cyndi Lauper in her face. And Heather Morris must have taken acting lessons over the summer, this is a big improvement over her marble mouth mumbling over the past few years. Or maybe it's different with Brittany acting like an almost normal person. I will always love Mercedes, and thinks she elevates anyone around her because she's the most mature person in the room. Having said that, I even liked the Sam/Rachel storyline, as they made it obvious New York is Rachel's endgame and Sam couldn't get out of NY fast enough once his face was on a bus. If they stick with this being a casual relationship, for Rachel to get over her failure and Finn, and for Sam to get over Mercedes, then I'm fine with that over the next few weeks.

And while I like the new newbies, there's only a few more episodes. I don't care enough for them to get solos and their own storylines because I know there's no use getting attached. The focus should be on the old club mentoring the new kids and I thought Arthur's Theme was a good way of working both groups together. A little less Blaine would've been nice though.

It's when I start thinking about it too much, then I get angry about how Mercedes was basically a Magical Negro and Santana was once again a passenger in her own coming out, and Brittany went behind her back to do something for Santana's own good just like the sex tape and we've seen Sam fall in love with every other girl in glee club and Rachel faces no repercussions for how she screwed up in NY last time... but, eh. There's only eight episodes left. I don't really care enough to be angry at Glee anymore.

• Love 2

I think this episode set it up pretty clearly that Samchel is not endgame and will likely be a transitional phase until Rachel decides to go back to NY. Which is exactly how it should be IMO....

I loved the Samcedes scene. I wish they always wrote Sam like that, more like old school Sam.

..., I wish the focus was more on Santana instead of Brittany. I mean, the focus WAS more on Santana but in terms of screentime. I'd rather watch Naya than Heather. Although I do have to add, and I hate saying it, but Naya looked kind of off to me. Her lips, mainly.

Totally agree with this.  And yes, Naya's lips were so distracting.  I call it the swollen bee sting look.  Also her face was way too immobile.  Why oh why do young actresses think they need botox and fillers etc. etc.? I don't want Naya to end up looking like Catwoman!

If they stick with this being a casual relationship, for Rachel to get over her failure and Finn, and for Sam to get over Mercedes, then I'm fine with that over the next few weeks.

And while I like the new newbies, there's only a few more episodes. I don't care enough for them to get solos and their own storylines because I know there's no use getting attached. The focus should be on the old club mentoring the new kids and I thought Arthur's Theme was a good way of working both groups together. A little less Blaine would've been nice though.

It's when I start thinking about it too much, then I get angry about how Mercedes was basically a Magical Negro and Santana was once again a passenger in her own coming out, and Brittany went behind her back to do something for Santana's own good just like the sex tape and we've seen Sam fall in love with every other girl in glee club and Rachel faces no repercussions for how she screwed up in NY last time... but, eh. There's only eight episodes left. I don't really care enough to be angry at Glee anymore.

I agree with the above completey. I would also add I'm angry at how the writers are screwing Kurt's character again.  Treating him like he doesn't matter (except to be tethered to Blaine in the endgame).  I am not a Kurt stan but boy it is irritating to me how dismissive the writers are of Kurt. (It will be interesting to see if Chris ever works with RIB again on any projects once Glee is done.)

Edited by Casual Viewing

I think this episode set it up pretty clearly that Samchel is not endgame and will likely be a transitional phase until Rachel decides to go back to NY. Which is exactly how it should be IMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I mean this could be the case but I think we should take this episode and some of the foreshadowing it gave us.

Yes Rachel's endgame is NY/Broadway but that doesn't mean she won't have a romantic endgame with Sam.

This episode buried Samcedes and gave them the closure Sam desperately needed. He even realized that he had moved on, it just wasn't clear until he talked w/ Mercedes. His feelings for Mercedes stemmed from friendship and the only reason he didn't date after their break up wasn't because he was still in love w/ her he just didn't want to ruin their friendship.

Sam told Rachel that with a nudge or two(enter Mercedes) his feelings for her can turn into a big thing.

There's still 7 episodes left. I fully believe that this relationship is going to evolve and they will fall in love(as the irony of their duet suggested) and ultimately in the end I do believe Sam will follow his heart and he will go and be with Rachel. Or they will take their relationship long distance off screen after saying I love you's and not wanting it to end. Sure right now it's starting off as a lets see what we have going here but by the end of the series I firmly believe they will have fallen in love with each other. Both of these characters fall in love fast and hard, as we've seen from their past.  Sam and Rachel will heal each other's hearts, as cheezy as that sounds.

I do think this is such a refreshing take on Glee and much more realistic. So I can't wait to see how the storyline progresses. I do still believe they will end up together. Whether long distance left ambiguous or he goes w/ her in the end.

Plus you guys saw in this episode how they ignored canon from S5, if the writers want to do something they will ignore past canon. So if Sam decides he wants to go to NY to be w/ Rachel then that's what the writers will do. I just hope that he goes to NY not just because of Rachel and he has his dream job waiting there for him. BC he will not be a head coach at Mckinley that spot is Sheldon's and it won't change but Sheldon can help him get a coaching job in NY, I'm sure.

Edited by Hookian

Up thread there were mentions of Kitty and Artie...where? I didn't see anything.

There was a 'blink and you missed it' moment during the party at Schue's place (the montage during "What the World Needs Now") where Artie wheels up to Kitty and offers her a plate of something (dessert?); she paused then took it with a smile.  It seemed to be clearly a peace offering that Kitty accepted.

ETA:  So given the Glee timelines - clearly we can expect them to be engaged shortly...

Edited by tab19

I expected a much worse episode, but it wasn't that bad.  No Sue, so that's something.  Last episode had too few songs, and even though I like oldies, this episode had a bit too many.  

I liked Sam with Mercedes last season but I can't say I'm that worked up over Sam and Rachel.  I'm glad they had an episode to clarify Mercedes' feelings, even though the whole situation is extremely unrealistic, but what else is new on this show.  It makes sense that she find someone who was more compatible on a faith level, someone else who was also waiting for marriage.  

I don't like how they need to put down some characters as "jokes" like that comment about Mercedes taking over the Glee Club while Rachel was away.  Huh?  Was that to throw in the crack about the choir singing "Into the Woods" and Paula Cole or whatever she said?

I thought it was mildly amusing they had old grads like Santana and Blaine singing in the background for no apparently reason, without any explanation for why they were back (in Santana's case, before she even showed up in the storyline).  And Artie was randomly back in town because???  They're not even trying anymore to explain these very special guest appearances.  

Anyway, overall, I thought this was a decent episode.  I don't remember Jane singing in this episode... it's weird how little she is used, while the new guys get to sing more.

Santana's grandma was a total pill.  She deserved what she got.

I missed the Emma stand-in.  I was looking to see if she was around but I must have looked away and missed her.

Edited by Camera One

Anyway, overall, I thought this was a decent episode.  I don't remember Jane singing in this episode... it's weird how little she is used, while the new guys get to sing more.

I very much agree especially since her voice is just so good? what are they doing just wasting her talents like that? It's inconceivable. Was she even in this episode? I don't remember seeing her but I wasn't paying that much attention. 

• Love 2

Is there any need for Kurt and Blaine to have such an encyclopedic knowledge of fashion and show tunes going back 50 years to be in a show choir ? As you yourself said Sebastian was gay and in a show choir and didn't have either of those qualities.  More importantly Blaine and Kurt being so similar in their fashion and music obsessions make them dull.

It's like how they(the show)/ Blaine made that joke about the Warblers all being gay because they sing and dance... It feels like they're playing into the stereotype that guys who like to sing and dance are gay.

It's not like every other guy on the show choir knows every musical hit from the last 50 years and they're in show choir too. So I fail to understand what your point is exactly ?

Anyway I watch lots of shows with gays ranging throughout the spectrum but that doesn't mean I find caricatures interesting characters.

Responding in the All Seasons thread.

I very much agree especially since her voice is just so good? what are they doing just wasting her talents like that? It's inconceivable. Was she even in this episode? I don't remember seeing her but I wasn't paying that much attention. 

I saw her singing backup.

I would also add I'm angry at how the writers are screwing Kurt's character again.  Treating him like he doesn't matter (except to be tethered to Blaine in the endgame).  I am not a Kurt stan but boy it is irritating to me how dismissive the writers are of Kurt. (It will be interesting to see if Chris ever works with RIB again on any projects once Glee is done.)

The meta about the episode Chris wrote has been ongoing  this season, they even gave Kurt a nearly 60 year old to date. With the new jabs in this episode, I'm itching to put my conspiracy hat on and say that maybe the writers weren't happy to give up one episode's worth of work and income last season. Or is it RIB getting back at him for something? Idk, but this meta is very prominent. 

Edited by fakeempress

The meta about the episode Chris wrote has been ongoing  this season, they even gave Kurt a nearly 60 year old to date. With the new jabs in this episode, I'm itching to put my conspiracy hat on and say that maybe the writers weren't happy to give up one episode's worth of work and income last season. Or is it RIB getting back at him for something? Idk, but this meta is very prominent.

The meta with Chris makes me think of a story he told when he was on Letterman about how after he became famous kids who had been shitty to him in high school tried to act like he had been in on the joke with them back then. They'd post on his Facebook page "Remember how much fun we had when we used to joke around?" And Chris would think, "No! When you taped tampons on my back that wasn't fun for me!"

I'm sure the writers would say they were just kidding around.

• Love 3

The meta with Chris makes me think of a story he told when he was on Letterman about how after he became famous kids who had been shitty to him in high school tried to act like he had been in on the joke with them back then. They'd post on his Facebook page "Remember how much fun we had when we used to joke around?" And Chris would think, "No! When you taped tampons on my back that wasn't fun for me!"

I'm sure the writers would say they were just kidding around.

At least on the upside he's getting paid for this abuse of his character and he won't have to put up with this nonsense for much longer and he can go do whatever he wants afterwards free from this show. I'm amazed he's put up with this crap for so long. 

• Love 1

On a different topic. I only watched this episode once (while intoxicated--Glee is better when you're drinking), but did Sam say something weird about boobs in his conversation to Mercedes? Between "Are you still a virgin?", and the comment about Rachel's butt when he was turning her down in HLP1, and whatever I think I heard him say, I'm really confused about what the appeal of Sam is. I think Glee thinks these comments are funny, but they're just gross and inappropriate. Even though they're small moments, it's a pattern and it's really making me hate him. 

On a different topic. I only watched this episode once (while intoxicated--Glee is better when you're drinking), but did Sam say something weird about boobs in his conversation to Mercedes? Between "Are you still a virgin?", and the comment about Rachel's butt when he was turning her down in HLP1, and whatever I think I heard him say, I'm really confused about what the appeal of Sam is. I think Glee thinks these comments are funny, but they're just gross and inappropriate. Even though they're small moments, it's a pattern and it's really making me hate him. 

he said it was wierd to transition from touching her boobs to being just friends or something equally awkward.

Makes it seem like Sam is only into appreances and/or sex.

• Love 1

A way better episode with the focus mainly on Brittany and Santana and all the better for it too.

Liked seeing Brit's parents and liked the continuity with Santana's abuela as well. Hopefully she does come around though.

The use of Bacharach's music certainly helped the episode along with the lack of Sue as well.

Mercedes seemed a little too fairy godmother here but it was nice that she has found her own happiness and wanted Rachel to move on with her life.

The show is pushing the Rachel/Sam thing a little too much but at the same time, I'm not really that concerned either, 7/10

I was curious as to why Rachel chose to take a Greyhound bus to New York. Perhaps an homage to the song "On Broadway"?

They say that I won't last too long on Broadway
 I'll catch a greyhound bus for home, they all say

I was curious as to why Rachel chose to take a Greyhound bus to New York. Perhaps an homage to the song "On Broadway"?

They say that I won't last too long on Broadway

I'll catch a greyhound bus for home, they all say

I wouldn;t gvie glee that much credit.

They couldn't afford to film in NY so they went for a nondescript bus station I guess.

Maybe to show how far she has fallen? when she fist went to NY she took a train. Then after that she was flying back and forth like there was some Lima to NY direct flight. And when she was in NY, she eventually got so successful that she had a town car to drive her around. The Greyhound is about the lowest form of public transportation there is now. So maybe her having to take the bust to NY from Ohio (which, seriously how long would that bus ride be!) is meant to show that was all she could do. We are lead to believe she used up all of her Funny Girl money and whatever she got from her sitcom. what she had left went to the Glee club. Papa's Berry are going through a divorce so maybe money is a little tight there. The Greyhound was a very humble way for the "great Rachel Berry" to return to NY. 

Or you know it's Glee and their location budget is non-existent now.

Well, I guess that I'm in very small minority but I enjoyed the show last.  After the last two disastrous episodes, it was refreshing change.

I'll join you in that small minority!  I liked this episode SO much better than the last two, which were so stunningly horrible, I considered giving up on the show altogether.  Actually, I've only been watching since last year, because Adam Lambert was in it, and figured since it was in its final year, I'd see how it all turned out.  That two-parter severely tested my resolve. 

• Love 2

This episode wasn't Shakespeare or anything but at least it was more or less coherent. I wasn't thrilled with some of the developments, Samchel for example, but nothing particularity pissed me off. A low bar to clear, but I'll take what I can get.

UGH!

This shitty, shitty show!

This show continues to circle the drain, with little to no redeeming values. I'm not sure I could tell you a single specific thing that happened in this episode.

WHY have us attempt to invest in new characters only to give them virtually no screen time?  I could actually see myslef be interested in most of the new students.(Let each of them have a group number, at least, if not a solo!!)

I'm so not invested in Rachel anymore; after torpedoeing her own career, she doesn't deserve to have a dozen people (half of whom DON'T EVEN KNOW HER!) paving her triumphant return to NY/Broadway.

I watch the performances. Arthurs's Theme was good, except for "Otis Redding" and gay footballer. Male incest twin sounds nice but his movement is awkward. Darren, Kevin and Chris sounded lovely. Actually would've been better if it was just those three. Loved the flashbacks to Rachel in New York. SHe looked so hopeful and happy

Wishin and Hopin - Seriously, who around season 2 said, 'I know let's get Heather to sing.' As a singer she's a great dancer. Also they had an opportunity for a great dance routine and we got that. Has the choreographer checked out already?

Close To You - Awful, weird and creepy. Chord sounded back and looked like a stalker. Please Glee stop have men sing to women who have said they're not interested. 

Promises Promises - Nice, but nothing distinctive. Usual Rachel Berry ballad. Sure wouldn't have persuaded me to take anyone off a blacklist. 

Alfie - Song of the night. Naya look and sounded beautiful. I think there must be a better Bacharach song she could've sung though. 

I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Rachel and Sam really don't sound good together. Also I notice all the couple around them were straight couple. Klaine and Brittana the only gay couples to ever go to McKinley? 

Edited by jtrattray

I watch the performances. Arthurs's Theme was good, except for "Otis Redding" and gay footballer. Male incest twin sounds nice but his movement is awkward. Darren, Kevin and Chris

sounded lovely. Actually would've been better if

it was just those three. Loved the flashbacks to

Rachel in New York. SHe looked so hopeful and

happy

Wishin and Hopin - Seriously, who around season 2 said, 'I know let's get Heather to sing.' As a singer she's a great dancer. Also they had an opportunity for a great dance routine and we got that. Has the choreographer checked out

already?

Close To You - Awful, weird and creepy. Chord sounded back and looked like a stalker. Please Glee stop have men sing to women who have said they're not interested.

Promises Promises - Nice, but nothing distinctive. Usual Rachel Berry ballad. Sure wouldn't have persuaded me to take anyone off a blacklist.

Alfie - Song of the night. Naya look and sounded beautiful. I think there must be a better Bacharach song she could've sung though.

I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Rachel and Sam really don't sound good together. Also I notice all the couple around them were straight couple. Klaine and Brittana the only gay couples to ever

go to McKinley?

You forgot " What The World Needs Now."

I actually thought Darren sounded a bit strained on " Arthur's Theme."

You forgot " What The World Needs Now."

I actually thought Darren sounded a bit strained on " Arthur's Theme."

There was something about "What The World Needs Now" I didn't like. Glee does that faux 'we all love each other and will do anything for each other' and it bugs me because I never buy it for a second. They sounded lovely though. 

The Kitty/Artie bit was weird. Has she forgiven him for exposing her to an STI or does she not know?