Type keyword(s) to search

All-Star Academy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Curtis deserved to be eliminated if for no other reason than he basically blew off the challenge. I mean, "The ingredient is pretzels, so let's give 'em... a pretzel! We'll cut 'em in half and sprinkle some cheese on 'em. Maybe doctor up some mustard. Yeah, that'll blow their minds." He basically forfeited with such an uninspired dish which required about as much creativity and elbow grease as a kid throwing together an after school snack. 

• Love 10

I knew that Curtis was history as soon as we saw Dain's TH about thinking what Curtis chose wasn't the best idea for the challenge. However, it seems like Dain's sole purpose for being on the show was to give a subtle "FU" to his parents and publicly come out. He achieved both. Buh-bye!

There was no way Alex's BFFs, Geoffrey and Scott were going to eliminate anybody on her team.

I think serving an undercooked pork product stuffed inside of poultry should have been grounds for elimination before Curtis and Dain, especially as it was the second time that "fowl" was committed under Robert's watch. It would have been too easy to get rid of the villain and the bitch a the same time and it's too soon. They need to hang around a bit longer for the drama.

I so hope in next week's switcheroo, that Anan and Zoey get sent to Robert's team. That's enough punishment for acting like Andrew's spoiled children.

I'm still thinking Andrew FTW. I think that FN is trying to make him happen on their branch of the Scripps' family tree. Notice the promos for Andrew's new show?

• Love 2

I like Anna.  I have no problem with her; she is the best cook.  Sure she was upset Andrew didn't help her and she got eliminated.  I don't think that was unreasonable. 

Robert, once again, stuffs meat.  What?  Twice?  Does he know nothing else?  Intolerable man. 

Some mentors asked what they were skilled at making early on but now it is just "make what I say and shut up."  I wonder if Curtis' cook would have mentioned why the pretzel with cheese might not win, would he have listened?  He queered the idea of feedback by yelling at him last week so that was not going to happen.  There should be more collaboration. 

I think this show would work better if the contestants voiced their area's of expertise and then the mentor adjusts and lifts their dish.  It is such a lousy show it would have to be reworked anyway.   sigh  

And Top Chef is ending.  What am I supposed to do to avoid being productive now?  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I'm still thinking Andrew FTW. I think that FN is trying to make him happen on their branch of the Scripps' family tree. Notice the promos for Andrew's new show?

Wearing my tinfoil hat, I don't think it can be anyone but Alex. TFN is so invested in the idea that the "Iron Chef" is the end all, be all. Even though it's a meaningless title they bestow on whomever they like. But every single competition show they have has at least one talking head from a contestant who is all, "oooooh I better listen! so and so is an Iron Chef!". They may carry Andrew further than otherwise, but they would be harming their carefully crafted image of the Iron Chef being king by allowing one to lose.

I'm totally OK with this theory, because I actually love Alex. 

• Love 3

Wearing my tinfoil hat, I don't think it can be anyone but Alex. TFN is so invested in the idea that the "Iron Chef" is the end all, be all. Even though it's a meaningless title they bestow on whomever they like. But every single competition show they have has at least one talking head from a contestant who is all, "oooooh I better listen! so and so is an Iron Chef!". They may carry Andrew further than otherwise, but they would be harming their carefully crafted image of the Iron Chef being king by allowing one to lose.

I'm totally OK with this theory, because I actually love Alex. 

I can see this, absolutely and I love Alex too so I hope you are right.  

• Love 2

I see when Natasha is on the losing end she brings the tears out.  Please Robert Natasha doesn't deserve anything more than any other contestant.  I was hoping they were going home.  If Anna keeps with the constant questions to Andrew throughout the competition I think that could come back to bite her in the butt.  It was like she asked just to ask.  Sad to see Curtis go home but he could have listened to Dain more about his concerns.

I didn't like that all 4 groups were in the elimination challenge.  The 3 chefs and Robert should have been ranked like they do with the contestants.  The worst two have their team do the elimination challenge.  I hope the chef that gets Natasha next week messes her up and that's the last episode of her and Robert.

• Love 2

Ugh, we are going to have the two most irritating ones be the final ones.  And I'm sure the biggest ego maniac's team will win.  This season is such a horrible one.  The previews next week don't look good either.

• Love 3

Robert hangs around because he likes the fame, attention, and money. The better question is why does the Food Network keep him around? Especially after the credential scandal. He doesn't seem able to cook at the same level. He isn't at all charming or charismatic. On a shallow note, he isn't even a pretty face that would attract viewers for that reason alone. His restaurant saving shows seem like such a watered down version of Hell's Kitchen that I don't have time for it. The entire appeal of this guy is a mystery.

Why does FN keep him around?  Two words:  "Restaurant Impossible".  It's a very popular show and I think they brought him back for the money, pure and simple.  He hasn't aged attractively plus his personality seems to have gone steadily downhill as well.  There's really nothing likable about him anymore.  I once liked him in the early days of "Dinner impossible" but no more.  Just a nitpick, but RI is not like Ramsay's "Hell's Kitchen" but "Kitchen Nightmares", which was taken off the air over a year ago now.

That said, I've been occupied in other show forums and haven't posted here this season.  So it's no surprise that I come here and find that I am not alone in being super-annoyed with either the mentors or the contestants this season.  I also think there are too many mentors and too few contestants per mentor.  Something about that is just not pleasant.  One of them could have been eliminated.  At this point Robert, Andrew and Curtis are all annoying.  The only mentor I like is Alex and I'm not really rooting for any of the contestants.  Natasha and Anna are rubbing me the wrong way plus I keep picturing Andrew dressed as Ben Franklin or winning a William Frawley lookalike contest.  Even that guy with the stubble beard is annoying me (Lee?).  He's just shy of looking like he just spent a night at the men's shelter and needs a shower and shave.  Ugh.

• Love 4

Not a good season for this show although I am enjoying Andrew Zimmern.  I was sorry to see Lee leave because he was my favorite although I did wish he'd comb his hair.  It looks like his teammate is going to be ill next week so maybe she'll be gone too.  That will leave us with two obnoxious cooks (Natasha and Anna) and a third who's merely annoying.  

Alex did herself no favors tonight.  She was grumpy all through and then didn't even acknowledge Lee when he was eliminated.  She was so busy thinking about herself that she didn't even look at him.  Even Anne Burrell is a better sport than that when it comes to contestants.  

• Love 5

I think the edit probably cut out Alex's good bye to Lee.  

What is the point of this show? Watching a mentor talk a contestant through a recipe is not entertaining.   Sometimes the amateur comes up with an idea and other times not at all.  ???  It has little point or direction.

I was not surprised to see Lee go.  Those thick fingers of ham and large clunky pineapple chunk was more of a problem that the crumbling taco shell.  

For the Hawaiian pizza re-do,  I would have made rolls out of the dough for a sandwich; sauteed the ham in butter after slicing it thinly, grilled a thin slice of pineapple and add a little tomato sauce to mayo for thousand island dressing.   Some lettuce and a slice of onion would make that a good sandwich. 

If this is going to see another season it needs a major revamp. 

If the woman with kidney disease is removed from the game they will probably bring Lee back. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I hate Adam Richman. More than I dislike Robert Irvine. 

Alex seemed off tonight. Maybe under the weather? 

Anna didn't bother me much... I actually found her quite pleasant this whole episode.

Why am I watching this? I'm not motivated to get into the kitchen and cook after watching it. I don't feel like I learn anything. It isn't even particularly entertaining. The only thing I got out of it was a small smile seeing that Adam is gaining his weight back. Couldn't happen to a nicer scumbag.

Edited by hkit
  • Love 2

I had to Google Adam Richman as I had no idea who he was.

I puzzled over the so-called advantage Andrew gained for winning.  If he'd tanked and let someone else win, all three teams would have had someone up for elimination.  And it would have been 50/50 anyway that Alex would have won with one of Andrew's team members.  Instead, he helped save his team's strongest competition and the asshole mentor attached to her.  I knew he would then save Zoe, but not for the reasons he said.  He knew Zoe was his weaker team member and Anna could probably avoid elimination if she had to cook, even though she was previously eliminated.

It's unusual for me to feel such dislike for amateur cooks but I really dislike just about everyone left.  I wouldn't mind Lisa if she'd forget this isn't Chopped and I don't want to hear her sob story every five minutes.  The rest of them are too busy puffing out their chests and talking trash.

• Love 2

I puzzled over the so-called advantage Andrew gained for winning.  If he'd tanked and let someone else win, all three teams would have had someone up for elimination.  And it would have been 50/50 anyway that Alex would have won with one of Andrew's team members.  Instead, he helped save his team's strongest competition and the asshole mentor attached to her. 

I think it was set up to hit one of the two-person teams.

Suppose one of Alex's contestants had won while mentored by Robert. He, as the winning mentor, would still have gotten to save Natasha. So there was a 3/5 chance that Robert and his mentee would get a pass. Only if Alex had won would the 3-way fight have occurred.

I think it was set up to hit one of the two-person teams.

Suppose one of Alex's contestants had won while mentored by Robert. He, as the winning mentor, would still have gotten to save Natasha. So there was a 3/5 chance that Robert and his mentee would get a pass. Only if Alex had won would the 3-way fight have occurred.

You're right, of course.  I used to be so good in math.  Let this be a lesson to you kittens:  when the Old fairy knocks at your door, do NOT let her in.

It still didn't feel like an advantage, probably because the teams were lopsided to begin with.  Natasha was in the catbird seat in most scenarios.  The bitch.

• Love 2

This will be an UO. but my dislike of Natasha is softening. (It was just a sheer luck of the draw for Robert that she picked him as her mentor.) I think Anna is far more obnoxious. I don't get her crocodile tears and constant need for reassurance from Andrew. She was so arrogant when she first came on the show and everybody thought she was the best cook, so I don't grasp what's going on here. Either she's playing to the cameras or she's really not as talented as she (and everybody else) seems to think that she is.

I'm foreseeing a final cook-off between Natasha and Anna. Lisa's remarks the other night about not feeling well and running out of steam indicate to me that she's either going to be forced to drop out or will be defeated next week. Otherwise, I really don't care who wins. I wish they'd pull a final switcheroo of mentors so it would be Andrew FTW with Natasha.

Natasha didn't bother me this week. I was glad to see her get frazzled and not so cocky.  Andrew's mentoring is outstanding because he takes the long view -- what will benefit Natasha and not just what will win her the title, which is Robert's approach.  

• Love 2

Andrew is an amazing teacher. Alex is too nervous and ego-driven to truly be excellent. Other than Robert Irvine, everyone on the show is okay with me. I really like Zoe, though. I hope she wins. I loved it when she just did what she wanted and Alex figured out to just take a back seat. It is unfortunate that there isn't a mentor more familiar with the cuisines of the Americas.

Edited by Funzlerks
  • Love 2

I always hated Kitchen Impossible. Irvine always acted like the employees owed their employers free labor and emotional support because the owners had parents who gave them thousands of dollars to start a business when the owners had no experience cooking, cleaning, or accounting or desire to do any of those things.

He is unbearable. I would just stop cooking and start cursing him non-stop until he cried if he tried his brand of mentoring on me.

• Love 1

Well just as we thought Lee was brought back.  I hate that Natasha won and is a finalist.  I'm really afraid she's going to win this thing.  I am very happy Zoey beat out Anna and once Lee was brought out I knew she was going so they could have 3 mentors in the finals.

At any rate..Go Zoey or Lee.

• Love 2

I'm glad Lee is back and I hope he wins because he's the only one I like but....................... How is it fair that Alex's team got to miss an entire challenge and still ended up in the finale?  Maybe I didn't understand something but that seemed very odd to me.

I'm glad Anna is gone.  It got to the point that she was annoying me even worse than Natasha was which is saying a lot.

• Love 2

How is it fair that Alex's team got to miss an entire challenge and still ended up in the finale?  

I agree, it was completely unfair. If they could bring someone back, then they should have brought him back for the first challenge. Anna had to cook twice, he only had to cook once, not fair. FN is just doing their usual "Alex must win" routine.

• Love 5

They were running it as heats, with each heat winner getting a spot in the finale, and there were three heats (chances) to earn your spot. It was explained so poorly that I think they thought it up at the last minute to give Lee time to get across town to the studio. I think they knew earlier that day that Natasha was going to have to drop out, because she mentioned getting lab work done, and I think it took place earlier that day. I really feel for her; that money would have been life changing, and having your body fail you at the wrong time is a miserable feeling.

Edited by Christina
  • Love 2

Natasha didn't drop out, Lisa did. I don't think it was unfair since Alex's team only had one chance, instead of three chances, to get into the finale. So she and Lee were really at a disadvantage. Anna had three chances to compete and get into the finale. If it was the other way around, where someone lost and was eliminated each round (like Chopped), then it would be unfair. I hope Lee wins, but I don't really mind who wins. All three are good cooks, it just depends on who puts out the best meal that day.

• Love 3

Hard to believe I'm writing this, but Natasha has grown on me and -- shame on me -- the only reason I'd be rooting against her is my intense dislike of Robert Irvine.  She is a skilled cook and has toned down a lot over the course of the competition.  Having said that, I'm rooting for Zoe, who has gone the farthest and was able to go her own way when Andrew was focusing on Anna.  I like Lee, too, and maybe he'll just pull it off.  And,of course, I hope Lisa's health problems are taken care of -- what a disappointment for her.  Looks as if I'll be OK with whichever home cook wins next week!

• Love 2

My guess is that with the "I have overcome so much" editing that Natasha is getting, she is probably going to win.  If she is the best cook (and at this point, unless she really messes up, she seems to be) then fine, she wins.   And then Robert Irvine's head will get even larger if that is possible.   I would like to see Andrew win because I think he has been by far the best mentor, but I don't think Zoe (who I like) has it in her.   Lee is a wild card and I was okay with Alex this season til she showed what a bad sport she was the first time Lee was eliminated.  I get that she was upset but by not acknowledging him she made it about her not him and Alex is good at that.  Overall this was a horrible season for this show and if RI comes back next season I will not.

• Love 3

I don't want Robert to win, damn it.  It looks like that may happen.  Natasha is a good cook and may deserve it but NO!  no no no no

I am rooting for Lee.  

This is a competition between the mentors, it is not about the contestants.  Through no fault of her own, Alex lost a cook.  It would be unfair if she was eliminated due to something that was out of her control.  She did not fail at being a mentor.  I am glad Lee is back.  

This isn't about who would benefit from the money more.  We don't know their finances, anyway.  Lisa has a transplanted kidney, Natasha lost her home and car in 2012.  Neither has anything to do with how well they follow the directions of their mentors!   Reality TV just loves a hardship story.  oy  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5

I'm firmly on Team Andrew/Zoey.  First of all, I don't think that Alex should have been allowed to bring Lee back. Lisa got sick and that's just the way that life rolls. Secondly, it pains me to say this because I'm usually an Alex fan, but I thought the way she handled the situation was pretty poor. Alex has shown more compassion for a "Chopped" contestant -- who she knew for only a few hours -- and had to eliminate.

I feel bad for Lisa and hope that she gets to feeling better soon.

• Love 5

My guess is that with the "I have overcome so much" editing that Natasha is getting, she is probably going to win.  If she is the best cook (and at this point, unless she really messes up, she seems to be) then fine, she wins.   And then Robert Irvine's head will get even larger if that is possible.  

I read this and immediately thought of that awful  commercial for jet.com where people's heads turn into eggs and the tops of their heads blow off.   picturing that happening to Robert made me grin. 

He ruins this show for me.   I can't stand his ugly mug, his superior attitude, the tone of his voice.  Oh, and next week he yells some more.   WHy does this talentless dork have a career?

• Love 4

The judges on this show are established chefs and they would never reward a sob story; they are focused on the food; the best dish will win.  They have a reputation to protect.  

As for Alex not showing compassion when she lost Lee and now Lisa, I say editing.  She is a caring person and with 3 comps to cover they didn't show the good byes.   I am glad too!  Sometimes hugging takes up too much of a show.  On The Talk a guest has to come out and hug 5 people before they sit down to talk!  ugh

• Love 2

The judges on this show are established chefs and they would never reward a sob story; they are focused on the food; the best dish will win.  They have a reputation to protect.  

The judges on Chopped are also established chefs (Alex is one of them) & they reward sob stories all the time.

• Love 6

This isn't about who would benefit from the money more.  We don't know their finances, anyway.  Lisa has a transplanted kidney, Natasha lost her home and car in 2012.  Neither has anything to do with how well they follow the directions of their mentors!   Reality TV just loves a hardship story.  oy  

Natasha has mentioned numerous times about needing the prize money to support her son, send him to college, etc.  On the very first episode, I swear she said she was a single mom and on another show she mentioned a husband. At every opportunity, Natasha mentions how the "people of New Orleans" (which includes herself) have banded together to get through hard time.  Anna obviously isn't living large if the was counting on winning the $50K to finance culinary school.  Lee is touted as a "single father," and had eluded that his kids live with him full-time. Zoe is in radio sales, which usually doesn't equal big bucks. The very first woman who got cut from Curtis's team said that she and her husband were barely making ends meet and living paycheck-to-paycheck.

So yes, I think the viewers have a fairly good insight into the contestants' financial profiles.

The judges on this show are established chefs

I don't consider whichever Duff sister that was and Katie Lee as "established chefs."  One is a B-list actress (if that) and the other one had the good fortune of latching onto an aging pop star just long enough to fulfill the requirements of her pre-nup.

• Love 3

I'm on Team Lee. He's competitive, but seems like a decent guy. Plus he's a good cook.

I didn't mind Zoe much, until she started letting Anna get into her head. Both started to annoy me and I lost interest. At least, Anna's gone now.

Natasha is a brat.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I guess I'm the odd one this season. I'm rooting for Natasha even if she is working the sympathy angle and in spite of Robert being her mentor.  I think she is very talented and that's all I care about this season.  I don't really like any of them so I'm focusing on the food, plus I agree with someone earlier who said she's toned down quite a bit since the beginning.

How come I just KNEW they were going to allow Alex to bring someone back?   I have suspected for a long time that she is often favored in competitions.  It used to make me dislike her.  I really like Alex but thinking she is favored puts me off.  I was tired of Lee's "men's shelter" appearance so I was not happy to see him come back, plus I just don't see him as final-worthy.  If anyone was it was Anna, and I say that in spite of the fact that she annoyed me too.  Plus I just feel like there was something unfair about bringing someone back, especially so close to the finals.

I am not a Zoe fan at all.  If anyone is a brat, I think it's her.  I see her as full of herself and not as good as she thinks she is.  Of course, that probably means she will win because it seems like this season is determined to annoy me as much as possible.

• Love 1

So that's another show checked off on the Richard Blais network tour. Not that I mind; I rather like Blais. But I'd like to see him get a permanent gig.

Lee seemed like he stepped up this week. I thought he was in over his head in all previous appearances, but he certainly took the lead on the dish - not Alex. Yeah he's lucky to have come back. But so was Anna. So a battle of unearned second chances felt just to me.

• Love 2

I wonder who they would have brought back if Lee hadn't been the last one to go.  If Lee had left weeks ago and they brought him back because he had been on Alex's team and Lisa had to leave, I would say that doesn't seem right.  If they were going to bring back whomever was the last to go, because they needed to have a person for Anna to compete with for the last challenge, and the last person to go just happens to have been on the same team as Lisa, then it makes sense.  

I am not rooting for or against any of the contestants.  However, I was hoping that Andrew's team would lose a person just so I don't have to suffer through one more episode of Andrew talking about how difficult it is to split his time and the girls (because they are acting like 7 year olds) whining and plotting over who is gets Andrew's attention.  

And next week, I will be hoping for Natasha to lose, not because of her (although the sob story is annoying), but because I really don't want Robert to win anything, ever.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 4

And next week, I will be hoping for Natasha to lose, not because of her (although the sob story is annoying), but because I really don't want Robert to win anything, ever.  

This.  And I don't feel guilty since she chose that blowhard.  And for the same reason I have no sympathy for Jermaine probably felt when he was sitting at home and found out Robert would have brought back Anna instead of him.

• Love 2

I've been away for a while and just caught up.  I don't know who this Duff person is, but I hope she booked because she thought it was compleat bullshit that Alex got to bring back her rejected cook and she wasn't having it.  I'm sorry that kidney girl got sick but that should have been it, she forfeited.  If Lee was to come back because they had to fill out this hour, that should have been stated from the beginning and he should have had to compete in all three rounds, not come in fresh at the end.  My big surprise is how much I ended up liking Zimmern.  I've never watched his shows because I don't find watching people eat cat food entertaining, but he seemed skilled, energetic and kind all the way through.  I'm Team Zoe for the win, she's worked hard all along.

I am not a Zoe fan at all.  If anyone is a brat, I think it's her.  I see her as full of herself and not as good as she thinks she is.  Of course, that probably means she will win because it seems like this season is determined to annoy me as much as possible.

I agree. It seemed as if many more found Anna insufferable and while she was, Zoe always kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Those two were fighting for their mentors' attention. It was ridiculous.

• Love 3

I thought that a lot of the intra-team fighting was more staged for the cameras than anything. Natasha sniped at her teammate (already forgot his name) because his level of cooking skills required more of Robert's attention (and look how far that got him.) Bring on a good old "Krystle and Alexis Dynasty catfight" on Andrew's team.

Even if Lisa had been well enough to go back into the competition, that would have meant only one cooking round for her, too. I'm kind of surprised that Lisa's doctors OK'd her to enter the contest. I know that people with transplanted kidneys can lead normal lives, but that would have been a lot of stress on Lisa's body -- travel, staying in a hotel, standing under hot lights for hours, etc., let alone the stress of the actual cooking. I would think that FN would have some type of medical waiver/clearance for the contestants.

Maybe I am over-thinking this!  It is what it is.

P.S.: I know this is the wrong thread, but readers here will find this amusing. I watched last week's episode of "Restaurant Impossible." As usual, Robert was raving on about how he had to "fix not only the restaurant, but the MARRIAGE!" After listening to a few rounds of his bluster, the wife said (to nobody in particular), " ... he should be a doctor!" All I could think was thank goodness Robert didn't hear that remark. Can you imagine the puffed out chest and swelled head?

• Love 2

I've been away for a while and just caught up. I don't know who this Duff person is, but I hope she booked because she thought it was compleat bullshit that Alex got to bring back her rejected cook and she wasn't having it. I'm sorry that kidney girl got sick but that should have been it, she forfeited. If Lee was to come back because they had to fill out this hour, that should have been stated from the beginning and he should have had to compete in all three rounds, not come in fresh at the end. My big surprise is how much I ended up liking Zimmern. I've never watched his shows because I don't find watching people eat cat food entertaining, but he seemed skilled, energetic and kind all the way through. I'm Team Zoe for the win, she's worked hard all along.

Duff is actually a guy, Duff Goldman. He's another Food Network personality. FN's long-running show Ace of Cakes was about his original Baltimore bakery, Charm City Cakes, which is known for baking "all-occasion" type cakes, but they're the kinds of cakes that are modeled on people, places, & things which are meaningful to the customers who order them &/or the intended recipients of the cakes (from the show I remember a Wrigley Field cake, cakes based on Star Wars, Star Trek & various characters & props associated with those franchises, & a cake made to look like a Vera Bradley tote bag belonging to the intended recipient, among others). He also owns a second bakery, in LA, Charm City Cakes West & its companion shop, Duff's Cakemix, which I think is a place where you can have cake-making parties.

Here's his Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duff_Goldman