Type keyword(s) to search

All-Star Academy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

August should have shoo'd Alex away when she came and started messing with his dish. And THEN she didn't taste anything. Isn't that what she preaches on Chopped?? I'd be really pissed at her if I were August. He needed that money for his studen loans, Alex.... aren't you ashamed of yourself?

• Love 1

Woo hoo  arrogant August is gone!  I was happy with both people up for elimination.

I originally liked August but I didn't like the way he totally went against Alex when she tried to help him.

I am rooting for Joseph but I wish he'd tone his religious talk.  No..God didn't tell you to make that sauce Joseph. 

I am wondering if they are going to make it canon that the celebrity chefs somehow are at fault for the elimination because they did it last week with Symon and this week with Alex.

• Love 2

I like Ted a lot.  The thing about his looks is that they're perfectly ordinary.  He wouldn't stand out in a crowd unless you already knew who he was.  He'd look natural teaching at the local high school or selling insurance.  I do wish he'd shave.  He always looked sharp and the whiskers make him look sort of unclean.

I was glad to see August leave.  He seemed to have some cooking chops but his cockiness made him very annoying.  I was surprised Alex didn't cut him to shreds when he practically sassed her then called her babe or whatever he said.  Anne Burrell would have torn him a new one.  That bit about wishing she'd tasted his dish was after the fact and self-serving.  He should have asked her to if he was concerned.

I like Joseph best so far.

• Love 5

I don't understand how the first challenge was scored, how can the scores from a 2 person team compete against a 1 person team? And how did Alex's team lose when 1 of them had a perfect score? I obviously missed out on some explanation.

Alex looked so sad when she said it was her fault Auguste got eliminated. NOT. She probably set him up just to get rid of him because he dared to question her.

I don't understand how the first challenge was scored, how can the scores from a 2 person team compete against a 1 person team? And how did Alex's team lose when 1 of them had a perfect score? I obviously missed out on some explanation.

Alex looked so sad when she said it was her fault Auguste got eliminated. NOT. She probably set him up just to get rid of him because he dared to question her.

They average the scores. August got a 10 and the other lady got a 4, for an average of 7.

So far I like this show.  It seems less ringer-y than other FN shows.  And even if there are some ringers, at least they can cook.  I'm enjoying watching people who can cook pretty well and cope with corrections, etc. I'm glad Joe and Shari were safe.  Glad how she went from worst to first in one episode. That blue cheese marshmallow fluff dip seemed a genius way to use marshmallow in a savory dish. I'm glad August is gone, too. I noticed the editing contrast w/him saying how he wanted to do it his way and not Alex's way (paraphrase), then the next shot is another contestant saying she is going to do everything her mentor tells her to do.

• Love 2

Ted's goodbye to August implied they'd be giving him another chance to stick up our living rooms soonest.  I'm guess I'm too hard to please personality-wise, I wouldn't rush to sit down for a beer with any of this crew.

• Love 1

It's one thing to mentor someone by teaching them the techniques they need to master the dish they intend to cook.  It's another to order them to put cinnamon or ginger into food -- which neither cook had intended to use -- and then watch their mentee take a hit for using an ingredient that doesn't belong.  That isn't mentoring.  If a teacher tells a student how to edit his/her essay, it's mentoring.  If a teacher tells a student to change the direction of the essay away from what the student wanted to say, it's not mentoring.

At the same time, the cheftestants need to remember that they are required to agree with their mentor about everything and follow orders.  If you don't follow orders you're out, even if the dish was good, because it would have been an even better dish if you did what you were told.  

And that, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with this show.  Project Runway contestants, take note.

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 3

It's one thing to mentor someone by teaching them the techniques they need to master the dish they intend to cook.  It's another to order them to put cinnamon or ginger into food -- which neither cook had intended to use -- and then watch their mentee take a hit for using an ingredient that doesn't belong.  That isn't mentoring.  If a teacher tells a student how to edit his/her essay, it's mentoring.  If a teacher tells a student to change the direction of the essay away from what the student wanted to say, it's not mentoring.

I think the issue is that this is a competition by the mentors, a chance to one up each other, rather than it is a "let me develop you" show. And I guess I don't really have a problem with that. Helping someone like August become a better home cook would be utterly boring TV. But the way the show is structured, coupled with the healthy ego of these chefs, means that we are going to get less mentoring and more of directing. 

They average the scores. August got a 10 and the other lady got a 4, for an average of 7.

I don't know how else they would do it, but it somehow doesn't seem fair to August to get a perfect score but still end up in the bottom team & then get eliminated. If he had been on the one person team, he would have won.

• Love 1

I gave it two weeks but I just can't with this show. It seems over-acted, overly producer manipulated and I dislike everyone. I'm also sick of the Choppedization of all FN competitions. God forbid they just cook; they have to do it with weird shit. So done.

GBBO has spoiled me, I guess.

• Love 1
It's another to order them to put cinnamon or ginger into food -- which neither cook had intended to use -- and then watch their mentee take a hit for using an ingredient that doesn't belong.

Just because the mentor suggests adding an ingredient doesn't mean that the contestant has no responsibility for putting in too much of that ingredient. Cinnamon and ginger were both perfectly reasonable ideas in those dishes; the problem was that he couldn't tell by tasting his dish when enough was enough. Cinnamon and ginger are ingredients that are often used in far too heavy-handed a fashion, but that work well in the kinds of dishes they were used in here if used with a little restraint. I figured this was a guy who just dumped both in and ended up with dishes overpowered by the flavors rather than enhanced by them. 

• Love 3

I seem to remember Bill the Fireman* being told to add more at least 2x. Not sure if the mentor was down in the pits or giving directions from above.

Other than Bill, do we know what anyone else does? I keep seeing labels like Working Mom (Mimi), Cook-off Queen (Sherri?) or College Grad (August) which are trite and vague.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

I saw a promo shot for the show and Curtis Stone positively towers over the other mentors and Ted.  I looked it up and he is 6' 4".  IMDB has Ted at 6' 1" but he did not look that tall next to Curtis.

• Love 1

So next week, I assume that either a competitor from Bobby's team or from Curtis' team will be eliminated. 

While I really, really want to believe that this won't happen, it probably will. Has there been a team based show where the teams weren't constantly balanced throughout the season?

• Love 1

While I really, really want to believe that this won't happen, it probably will. Has there been a team based show where the teams weren't constantly balanced throughout the season?

Yes, The Taste. Nigella is consistently out of the competition very quickly.

• Love 7

On what was the de facto first season of this show (America's Best Cook) one mentor was knocked out the week before the finals, but it slips my mind now who it was.

• Love 1

Michael was standing up on the balcony watching Bill. He added what Michael told him to, then tasted it. He said he didn't taste the cinnamon, so Michael told him to add more. Which was what killed the dish.

You would think that people who cook, especially someone like Michael, would know that flavors get more developed as they cook so what you taste when you first add something, is not necessarily what it's going to end up tasting like when you're done.

• Love 4

The only thing I ever knew about Bobby Flay was that he's married to Stephanie March, who I enjoyed watching in the early years of L&O: SVU. But has he always looked like he's got a perpetual Smug Face?

The only thing I can compare it to, is comments and articles I've read about how some women have a "resting bitch face" (a phrase I despise and think is just mean spirited/derogatory).

I have no strong feelings toward Flay, but watching this show, he just looks like his face has frozen into smugface. I was just wondering if he's always looked that way?

I don't think Bobby looks smug. I find him very relaxed and likeable, especially on his cooking shows. He also doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, as evidenced to me on his no longer in production "Throwdown" show. JMO

I've always liked Bobby Flay.  I think he often looks intense when he's competing but I've never found his expressions unpleasant.

I just finished reading Marcus Samuelsson's memoir and he called Bobby one of the best chefs in NYC.  For some reason that surprised me - not that he's a good chef but that Marcus thinks so.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 2

I bought one of Bobby's cookbooks, all grilling recipes. I've tried three and wasn't very happy with them. I love to grill and I had to put my own touches on his recipes to make them taste good (to me). I'm not saying he's a bad chef, quite the contrary. He has the restaurants and accolades to back it all up. I judge how good a chef is by how they can teach me to make a delicious dish. I think if you are going to put out a cookbook to people like me, it should be one I want to use often and bookmark a lot of recipes. JMO

• Love 1

I'm on the fence, but the Khaleesi loves this show.  She also loved Bobby Flay when he was on Worst Cooks in America last season. 

Re:  Bobby Flay

It's weird that his voice sounds so nerdy but he's actually this cool chef guy.  And he's so serious with his arms crossed all the time. 

Re:  Curtis' reaction to Mimi burning the caramel sauce

Curtis:  Take it off!!!  The sugar!  THE SUGAR!!! 

Mimi:  Oh, I'm sorry!

Curtis (exasperated):  Look at me, HONEY, when I'm screaming at you...

Khaleesi:  Well there goes Prince Charming...

Re:  Sherry and Ann

You just know that if they lived next door they would both bake me cookies everyday. 

Re:  The (not one but two) broken glass mixers

How cheap are those bowls?  He's using a spoon not a hammer.

Re:  Alex's guilt over August's elimination

I'm pretty sure he would have gone home the first episode if she didn't pick him.  Nobody else wanted him.

Re:  The "strategizing" in front of the refrigerators

This shouldn't take too long, those fridges are like completely empty.

• Love 4

I'm on the fence, but the Khaleesi loves this show.  She also loved Bobby Flay when he was on Worst Cooks in America last season.

Yay, a reason to enjoy this show--Khaleesi's critiques!

• Love 3

I don't know but it seems like Bobby and Curtis actually have a little rivalry going on. Bobby did not seem pleased that he lost to Curtis during their go around. I often wonder if the chefs really care that much about winning when they compete in these shows so much especially Bobby... but I guess they still do. I actually quite like the show and love Bobby on Beat Bobby Flay. 

• Love 1

I really loved how encouraging Michael was with Vanessa. Now that he's only down to one competitor, I do like how much attention he can give. Likewise, I'll be interested to see how Curtis is with Sharon now that it's just the two of them.

That steak Angela made... wow. That sounds like one major steak, Bobby! Duck fat AND butter?! Heart attack on a plate but I bet it was one juicy, delicious steak. YUM.

• Love 1

Mimi was the right one to go because her omelet was a mess but I was hoping Vanessa would end up in the bottom.  Between her sloppy habits and cowboy boots in the kitchen, I have a hard time taking her seriously.  I like the two older women and Joseph. 

There must be a law that says if you are from Texas and appear on tv, you are obligated to reinforce all those old tired Texas stereotypes. Probably in the same regulations governing anyone of Italian descent.

Mimi was the right choice to go, although they tried to pull the editing fake-out. They spent so much time on what troubles her team mate was having (Sharon?) that I guess it was supposed to be a shocking surprise. But, I liked Mimi's attitude even in her elimination.

What was the point of Outback Steak guy? He didn't vote did he? And I am not sure that praise from Outback would mean that much to me. When the cuts of steak available to the cooks are probably head and shoulders abover Outback's best, it seems like an unfair advantage.

For the record, no one in my house ever would look down at leftover steak as unworthy for consumption or feed it to the dogs.

Eta: Spelling & grammar seem to be missing today. Guess they are taking a long weekend.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

What was the point of Outback Steak guy? He didn't vote did he?

It was like he appeared, gave his opinion, and was gone.

Was I the only one thinking, "What has a piece of salmon got to do with leftover steak?"    Seems like the challenge was missed.

• Love 3

Was I the only one thinking, "What has a piece of salmon got to do with leftover steak?"    Seems like the challenge was missed.

I didn't understand that either.  I thought the leftover steak was a required ingredient.  I also thought that the dark bits on top of the salmon were mushrooms.  If they were little pieces of the steak......................yuck.  No one garnishes salmon with beef. 

• Love 1

Didn't they say something about using the beef in that wine sauce? (Like maybe they used the meat juices within the sauce for the salmon?) Still seems a little too "easy" given what the others accomplished (I totally would have loved the breakfast for dinner!).

• Love 1

August seemed to rein in his attitude a bit this week (probably out of fear of going home again), so we didn't have much of Alex yelling at him to listen to her, thank goodness!

I'm thrilled for Sharon. She and Curtis seem to be doing a great job, paired together. And I was relieved for Vanessa and Michael to make it through another week.

Next week sounds brutal! I can't believe they'd make the chefs inadvertently throw their own home cook under the bus! That hurts.

What's the problem with leftover steak? I love steak grilled over charcoal, and we usually make extra for the next day. Cold on a sandwich or salad, or microwaved briefly, there's nothing better. But everyone on this show was acting like leftover steak was gross.

Not getting how cooking salmon had anything to do with the challenge.

• Love 2

What was the point of Outback Steak guy? He didn't vote did he? And I am not sure that praise from Outback would mean that much to me. When the cuts of steak available to the cooks are probably head and shoulders abover Outback's best, it seems like an unfair advantage.

I was kind of glad they dropped Mimi. I liked her as a person but thought she got cocky.

Funny, my husband (who loooooves Outbacks) immediately said "That guy must be from Outback!" when they first showed him. I'm not too sure the 5 million commercials didn't clue him in, but I still thought it was funny he saw it right away. He also knew Alex's person was going to be picked right away. I am slowly learning he's way better at picking this stuff than I am.

Maybe I'm nuts but I often get fish at Outback's. A lot of their stuff can be hit and miss but they do a pretty good job with fish. We don't go there that often anymore but I used to get funny looks from people with how often I ordered the halibut in particular. My theory was always that they put the best cooks on the fish, but I don't know.

GaT in those first few minutes, I thought it was kind of cool for Bobby to not compete. He hadn't lost any chefs yet but had the chance to compete for a cook sent home from another team. The rest of them wanted to win someone back. Instead he decided to keep his two people and not compete. I was surprised but happy he picked that.