Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I missed Season 1, but really liked Season 2 a lot.  I think Season 3 (the clip is from Season 3) suffered from the pandemic, but it's still worth watching.

It’s on HBO Max for anyone else like me who had to look up where to find it. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I think it’s on some other streaming services as well.

I just looked it up on IMDB. That’s all they listed. As it was a tv show it might be on demand for that channel as well. 

• Love 1

There was a Jeopardy joke on tonight’s episode of ‘Call Me Kat’. A character told Mayim’s character, who was dining alone, “I’ll take lamest Friday night ever for 500 Ken”, and Mayim said “Uncalled for” into the camera as an aside. Thought that was cute. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Zeus is the gray one and Zeke (who needs a new name. suggestions?) is the gray & white one. They are 5 yr old (bonded) males. Zeus is more of an extrovert (will come out for petting). Zeke just seems to move from bed to bed. I *think* he's drinking at least, but not sure about eating. They're a bit overweight (15 & 18 lbs, resp.).

• Love 4

Big news - Mr. Zoey and I will be moving from Williamsburg VA to Ellsworth KS later this summer. We closed on a house in Ellsworth yesterday! We still need to sell our house in Virginia, but we are so looking forward to this!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Big news - Mr. Zoey and I will be moving from Williamsburg VA to Ellsworth KS later this summer. We closed on a house in Ellsworth yesterday! We still need to sell our house in Virginia, but we are so looking forward to this!

Good Luck to you: making a move is a lot of work & getting settled in a new place(we moved many times due to my husband's job), but once you are settled it will feel like home

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I’m very happy for you. Do you have family there? 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Good Luck to you: making a move is a lot of work & getting settled in a new place(we moved many times due to my husband's job), but once you are settled it will feel like home

59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m very happy for you. Do you have family there? 

Thanks! I have cousins in the area, plus nieces & nephews in Texas. Long drive but doable.

This should be our last move. We retired between 5 & 6 years ago, always wanted to go back to Kansas. We’ve been married 33 years. First 12 years at five different addresses, then 21 years at our Williamsburg address.

• Love 8
On 5/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, illdoc said:

Zeus is the gray one and Zeke (who needs a new name. suggestions?) is the gray & white one. They are 5 yr old (bonded) males. Zeus is more of an extrovert (will come out for petting). Zeke just seems to move from bed to bed. 

You could name him Jupiter, the Roman counterpart to Zeus. Or since he moves from bed to bed, maybe Hypnos (god of sleep) or Eros (god of love and procreation) 😉.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Or observe his personality and see what might suit him.

Right now his personality is ...hide under bed, come out around 8pm, go to bed when we do. He doesn't seem to eat, just drink. Maybe he's a vampire! Dracula???

• LOL 5

Don't let him go too long without food. My vet instilled in me a terror of hepatic lipidosis in cats who fast too long. Win him over with treats if you have to.

Cats have a hard time adjusting to new situations sometimes. I hope he comes around soon.

When I took fosters, they mostly adjusted pretty quickly, but I have been known to lie on the floor next to their hiding place and stick a hand next to them and try to win them over with "I'm a needy human, you must take pity on me, for I will perish if you do not reassure me of your well-being."

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

My vet instilled in me a terror of hepatic lipidosis in cats who fast too long.

Is that fatty liver syndrome?  My beloved Grover died of that when he was only ten.

He is eating some wet food (when I bring it to him under the bed)--he doesn't seem to like treats. He's not sneezing as much (I think he has/had a cold, which can cause a sore throat, making dry food/treats hard to eat). And he is downstairs in daylight! Granted, hiding under the couch, but it is progress! The last few days, he would only come downstairs at 8pm and only stay until we went to bed. 

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Is that fatty liver syndrome?  My beloved Grover died of that when he was only ten.

I had a cat who caught FIP (which is a liver disease) and died about 6 weeks later (he was around 3 or 4 at the time).

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Yes, same thing. It sometimes happens to cats who go too long without food.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

He is eating some wet food (when I bring it to him under the bed)--he doesn't seem to like treats. He's not sneezing as much (I think he has/had a cold, which can cause a sore throat, making dry food/treats hard to eat). And he is downstairs in daylight! Granted, hiding under the couch, but it is progress! The last few days, he would only come downstairs at 8pm and only stay until we went to bed. 

So glad he's coming around!! 

When they have a stuffy nose, sometimes they don't eat because they can't smell the food. But it's good that he's eating a bit, and checking out different parts of the home at last! 

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I had a cat who caught FIP (which is a liver disease) and died about 6 weeks later (he was around 3 or 4 at the time).

😭

• Love 1
(edited)

Most cats have the herpes virus that can flare up and cause an upper respiratory infection in times of stress or illness (just like how most people have the herpes virus that can flare up and cause a cold sore in times of stress or illness).  You may want to give L-Lysine to see if that cuts the stuffiness, since cats who have trouble smelling their food generally don't eat it.

The cats most at risk of hepatic lipidosis are those who are overweight, when caloric intake decreases suddenly and significantly.  But all cats are vulnerable to it in times of not eating/significantly under-eating (unlike humans and dogs, they can't just not eat for a while), so keep doing everything you can to encourage eating for the time it takes him to settle in and feel secure.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Today's joke: It's a good thing the earth isn't flat or cats would push everything off the edge.

Names:
• Tim, Timmy, Timothee (short for Timid).
• Pierce (for David HIDE Pierce)
• Bela (for Bela Lugosi who played Dracula) or Bello to turn it into Handsome Boy.
• Bram (Stoker)
• Count Cat (Sesame Street reference)
• Bakula (rhymes with Dracula, and Scott B. is quite handsome. Bakula is also a flower.)

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 4
Spoiler

I have no idea why that spoiler box is there.  Nothing’s under it!

It was a little cloudy here last night, so I didn’t get a great look at the eclipse.  I got an okay look, and it was pretty cool with binoculars, but photos were definitely not happening.  I’m mostly glad we weren’t completely overcast like we are this morning.

• Love 2

After a week of beautiful weather, we had a thunderstorm for the eclipse overnight.

I have seen several lunar eclipses, though.

I am more excited for the solar eclipse on April 8 2024 - I live in the path of totality, and I have never before seen a total solar eclipse. My coworkers are all aware that I will be taking that day off of work. I can't miss it. (Yes, I am aware that it will probably rain that day).

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else geeking out with the total eclipse of the moon?

I wouldn't call it "geeking." I'm afraid I agree with Neil Degrasse Tyson:

lunar.png.29ec52d1f87a85b643a9f5b6e44b7d2e.png

It looked just like your photo, just a grey haze over part of the moon. Nothing spectacular. Vaguely disappointing. Although it did go from a full-moon night bright as day to creepy darkness during. Another bright spot was I wore a jacket to stay warm enough outside, this after a week of temps in the 100s. I wondered if traffic on the Interstate even noticed. The moon I mean, not me in my coat.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, PBnJay said:

It looked just like your photo, just a grey haze over part of the moon. Nothing spectacular. Vaguely disappointing. Although it did go from a full-moon night bright as day to creepy darkness during. Another bright spot was I wore a jacket to stay warm enough outside, this after a week of temps in the 100s. I wondered if traffic on the Interstate even noticed. The moon I mean, not me in my coat.

My photo in no way does justice to what I saw this time.
I happened to be in the perfect spot, with the perfect weather. 
The tiny bit of reflected light from the moon peeking out from the earth's shadow made it look like a diamond engagement ring hanging in the sky.
I'll take it.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, secnarf said:

After a week of beautiful weather, we had a thunderstorm for the eclipse overnight.

I have seen several lunar eclipses, though.

I am more excited for the solar eclipse on April 8 2024 - I live in the path of totality, and I have never before seen a total solar eclipse. My coworkers are all aware that I will be taking that day off of work. I can't miss it. (Yes, I am aware that it will probably rain that day).

We've been near the path of total solar eclipse, and had all sorts of other celestial phenomena, but sadly they are almost always hidden by clouds or smoke. So I've given up being excited about them.

Though when Mars was closest to Earth, I was able to see it a lot - and I loved that.

13 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I love Neil, but he is a buzzkill, and seems to take a lot of pleasure being one. Of course he'd think it was unspectacular, his eyes are further up in the solar system.

Mileage varies in what we as individuals consider spectacular and exciting. I'm in the whatever floats your boat group.

• Love 4
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I love Neil, but he is a buzzkill, and seems to take a lot of pleasure being one. Of course he'd think it was unspectacular, his eyes are further up in the solar system

Yes. When I read the above quoted tweet by Neil deGrasse Tyson saying:

--I first considered the source (Neil 🙄),
--then thought: Oh. But if Neil could have seen that eclipse from my balcony…🤩

And then I settled on: I bet Neil DeGrasse Tyson does not get invited back to many viewing parties.🤣

Actually, when I recently saw a late night interview with NDGT, he seemed a little . . . I don't know? Crazy? Hyper? Drugged?
I still like to hear his thoughts on stuff, but it was weird.
And, yes, I've read bits about the harassment allegations, but that's not what was off about him.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. When I read the above quoted tweet by Neil deGrasse Tyson saying:

--I first considered the source (Neil 🙄),
--then thought: Oh. But if Neil could have seen that eclipse from my balcony…🤩

And then I settled on: I bet Neil DeGrasse Tyson does not get invited back to many viewing parties.🤣

Actually, when I recently saw a late night interview with NDGT, he seemed a little . . . I don't know? Crazy? Hyper? Drugged?
I still like to hear his thoughts on stuff, but it was weird.
And, yes, I've read bits about the harassment allegations, but that's not what was off about him.

He was pretty hyper on the Late Show with Steven Colbert as well. I do enjoy listening to him, but I do agree that he was a lot more...energized?....than usual.

Just for spites' sake, I still like to think of Pluto as a planet. 😉

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

He was pretty hyper on the Late Show with Steven Colbert as well. I do enjoy listening to him, but I do agree that he was a lot more...energized?....than usual.

Yes, that was where I saw him. He just seemed oddly and unnaturally energetic. 

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Just for spites' sake, I still like to think of Pluto as a planet. 😉

For me, it's more out of habit, or maybe nostalgia.
I mean, if Pluto is not a planet,
the mnemonic:
My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles
becomes:
My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nothing 😟

But I can give Neal that one.

• LOL 2
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Mary's Virgin Excuse Makes Joseph Suspect Upstairs Neighbor.

This reminds me of an English 101 college course in which we got to think up and then vote on a mnemonic for the correct spelling of weird.
We settled on: 
Wishing Every Irritating Relative Dead

• LOL 6
On 5/16/2022 at 5:05 AM, Browncoat said:
  Reveal spoiler

I have no idea why that spoiler box is there.  Nothing’s under it!

That’s the spoiler!!

And what does it say about me that I looked anyway? 🙃

• LOL 6

Just now, Trey said:

does Zeke have a new name yet?

Zeke is still Zeke. He generally stays under the bed (he'll tolerate head rubs as long as he can stay under the bed), but he comes out now around 7pm for dinner and my mom has been known to see him early (pre-7am). Will bolt upstairs if you try to come near him, but doesn't stay long upstairs. Will play with "red dot" (which Zeus basically ignores). Zeus sleeps on the couch all day. Neither cat seems to play with balls. 

• Love 3

Aw. I had a cat once that I rescued from the outdoors. (Sitting under a dryer vent in the winter, trying to keep warm.) For the rest of her life, this semi-feral kitty never completely trusted human interaction, but gradually learned to tolerate—and eventually appreciated— a good head rub. With some cats, it just takes time. And the little victories can be so much more meaningful when you have to work for them.

I actually like the name Zeke.

• Love 4

Stella and Bosco got tired of the red dot.  When the dishwasher is running it throws a red dot on the floor so you can see at a glance that it's still in a cycle. Bosco sits by it, looking very proud. "Look! I caught the Red Dot!" Stella keeps telling him a stationary dot doesn't count, but he doesn't care.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1