Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

@853fisher “I don’t know that I would announce on national tv that I had been kicked out of one school and had to cycle through four more to get a degree, at least without some sort of clarification, but everyone seemed to think it was a cute story, so what do I know?”

Trying to quote from S38 thread. I graduated from high school in 1969. Attended summer school & two semesters at state university. Dropped out, married, had a baby, returned to a junior college when she started school. We moved, went to another junior college. Moved back, finished associate degree at first junior college. Worked for a couple of years, moved again, worked for several years, went to university part time and then full time. Finished my bachelor’s degree 15+ years after high school graduation. Took a couple of post-grad classes at a third university while working full time in my profession. So five schools, although I finished in four schools and was never kicked out.

So I say, good for her for persevering and completing that degree. TBH I didn’t think it was amusing, and I am curious about circumstances.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

@853fisher “I don’t know that I would announce on national tv that I had been kicked out of one school and had to cycle through four more to get a degree, at least without some sort of clarification, but everyone seemed to think it was a cute story, so what do I know?”

Trying to quote from S38 thread. I graduated from high school in 1969. Attended summer school & two semesters at state university. Dropped out, married, had a baby, returned to a junior college when she started school. We moved, went to another junior college. Moved back, finished associate degree at first junior college. Worked for a couple of years, moved again, worked for several years, went to university part time and then full time. Finished my bachelor’s degree 15+ years after high school graduation. Took a couple of post-grad classes at a third university while working full time in my profession. So five schools, although I finished in four schools and was never kicked out.

So I say, good for her for persevering and completing that degree. TBH I didn’t think it was amusing, and I am curious about circumstances.

My experience was similar.
I assumed when she said that she was "kicked out" of college that she just meant she flunked out because she wasn't going to classes etc.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My experience was similar.
I assumed when she said that she was "kicked out" of college that she just meant she flunked out because she wasn't going to classes etc.

I too had quite a journey. Signed up for JC when I was in high school, then my father decided to move to the midwest at the end of the school year (I was 17 and couldn't stay behind). Registered and signed up for college where we'd moved to, then we all spontaneously decided to return "home."  Finally signed up for  JC which I finished, and then transferred to a university. And...returned to the university years later to get an MA.

• Love 4

I appreciate these perspectives.  I didn't get the impression, the way the anecdote was presented, that a situation like these applied.  But I know that laughter often covers what is difficult to talk about, so perhaps I should have been more circumspect.  Thanks for "calling me in" as I've heard it said.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I appreciate these perspectives.  I didn't get the impression, the way the anecdote was presented, that a situation like these applied.  But I know that laughter often covers what is difficult to talk about, so perhaps I should have been more circumspect.  Thanks for "calling me in" as I've heard it said.

My response was more a realization that I too had a checkered past when it came to colleges (of course, it doesn't top the number of schools I went to before college - but that's a different story). It didn't even occur to me when I heard her story.

Edited by Clanstarling
On 3/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, 853fisher said:

I actually completely agree with your original comment of:

I don’t know that I would announce on national tv that I had been kicked out of one school and had to cycle through four more to get a degree, at least without some sort of clarification, but everyone seemed to think it was a cute story, so what do I know?

It's just that "kicked out" sounded to me like she was trying to put a racy spin on flunking out. 
However, without getting into my re-e-eally long story of How I Got My Graduate Degree In My Forties As A Single Mother With 3 Kids And... [violins start playing]...
I did barely get a D in calculus my freshman year because it met at 8am 5 days a week, and I was drinking until 2am at least 4 days a week. And I think I got an F in a 1 credit class I just never went to "on principle" (I was 16 and...).
Okay. I promised not to tell the whole Shaggy Dog story. So I'll stop.

But for our intrepid Jeopardy! contestant:
If she did get Kicked Out/Flunked Out because she was out partying instead of going to classes, I will grant her the use of "Kicked Out" since if she was capable of possibly even getting straight As, "Flunked Out" would not accurately convey that, and might sound humiliating to her on public television, whereas "Kicked Out" sounded better some how?
I think we can all agree her story needs work.

So, @853fisher, your impression of her story is legitimate, and likely closest to how she thought it would come across. 

I was probably projecting (as usual), and, as @Clanstarling describes, there are many paths to a degree.

I was a college librarian in Illinois when Hurricane Katrina hit, and we transferred in about half a dozen students from New Orleans for the year. I regret that I did not follow up on their career paths. 
After the market crash of 2008, a sweet student who I had just trained do Work Study in the library came in to say he was dropping out to attend community college because of financial issues. Alas, I do not know what happened to him either. 
There was also a sociopathic-type of student who was "kicked out." I'm not sure I want to know what happened him. No. I really do. But I don't recall his name either.

• Love 2

Bosco got his staples out today and the pathology report came back - he had a very rare cancer that usually shows up in dogs, not cats (leave it to Bosco)... Extramedullary Cutaneous Plasma Cytoma.  The super news is that it's a self-contained cancer and doesn't spread to other organs, so the fact that Dr. E. was able to cut it all out with clean margins means he is now cancer-free!!  Of course, we'll keep checking him for any new growths, but he should end up having a long, cancer-free life.  I love my vet.  And I love my cat.  And he loves not having to wear that orange doughnut around his neck.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Bosco got his staples out today and the pathology report came back - he had a very rare cancer that usually shows up in dogs, not cats (leave it to Bosco)... Extramedullary Cutaneous Plasma Cytoma.  The super news is that it's a self-contained cancer and doesn't spread to other organs, so the fact that Dr. E. was able to cut it all out with clean margins means he is now cancer-free!!  Of course, we'll keep checking him for any new growths, but he should end up having a long, cancer-free life.  I love my vet.  And I love my cat.  And he loves not having to wear that orange doughnut around his neck.

That's such good news!  Sending hugs to Bosco!

• Love 6

Bringing this to small talk from main page, in part so the picture doesn't frighten any one there😉

On 3/20/2022 at 3:30 AM, possibilities said:

Potato bugs are an entirely different organism where I come from. They don't even look slightly similar. I wonder what they call what I call "potato bugs" where my "pill bugs" are called "potato bugs"!

In the rural mountains of California on the Oregon border, 2 hours from the Pacific Ocean (little bonus geography lesson because, no, California is not all surf and sun) this is called a potato bug: 
ETA: I've decide to put the scary bug picture in spoiler tags out of deference to the squeamish.

Spoiler

image.png.32089ccd8aebb255d786fb52151a4422.png

While harmless, I was absolutely terrified by these large (3 inches or so, not including the antennae) bugs when I moved into a house in 1982 with a hole drilled at ground level for the previous tenant's TV cable. If I had such a cable in the hole, it would not have been big enough for the "nocturnal" Potato Bugs (aka Jerusalem Crickets) to enter.
At the time, I had a mattress on the floor and had just begun occasionally smoking pot again after a 4 year hiatus due to having a child. I heard scritch-scratching noises, turned on the reading lamp on the floor next to my mattress, and was utterly terrified, in part due to the marijuana-fueled paranoia. I managed to capture it in a large jar, which I later tipped over outside for it to escape. Soon after I purchased a bed frame (and sealed the hole and gave up smoking pot).

I vaguely recall reading at the time that the indigenous people had a name for these bugs that translated to something with "ghost" in it and that the bugs' only means of protecting themselves was by scaring away humans with their appearance.

The same house had large wolf spiders that the landlord affectionately called "cookie spiders" because they were the size of cookies. I only lived there a short time because the landlord sold the place soon after I moved in.

Also:
As a small child in Connecticut with an interest in bugs, I learned the name "sow bugs" for what others elsewhere call pill bugs or rolly polly bugs: https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=12567

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

That is pretty horrifying, but it’s nothing next to the picture I found of a similar stripey variety. No one would ever call this one a roly poly— at least, not when its mouth is open. I won’t even post a picture because I don’t want to be responsible for the nightmares. But for those who are curious, or simply masochistic, here’s a link: https://www.gardenandgreenhouse.net/articles/june-2019/the-frightening-but-helpful-potato-bug/. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

They destroy potato crops, so are frustrating to contend with.

When they have decimated your potatoes they will then destroy your eggplants, tomatoes and peppers. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That is pretty horrifying, but it’s nothing next to the picture I found of a similar stripey variety. No one would ever call this one a roly poly— at least, not when its mouth is open. I won’t even post a picture because I don’t want to be responsible for the nightmares. But for those who are curious, or simply masochistic, here’s a link: https://www.gardenandgreenhouse.net/articles/june-2019/the-frightening-but-helpful-potato-bug/. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

I can't say you didn't warn me. Man, that looks like it is a special effect/specially designed creature for a horror movie.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I can't say you didn't warn me. Man, that looks like it is a special effect/specially designed creature for a horror movie.

Or, as in my case, the bug to get you to just say no to drugs. 🤣

• LOL 5

The map in the main thread re bugs is accurate as far as I'm concerned--grew up in Western New York calling the little grey things that roll up potato bugs.

18 hours ago, ABay said:

The map in the main thread re bugs is accurate as far as I'm concerned--grew up in Western New York calling the little grey things that roll up potato bugs.

Hmm… Central New York here, and roly-polys! Wanna fight? 😝

• LOL 2
38 minutes ago, ABay said:

Did the map have the wrong color for that part of the state?

Well, the map and the presumed survey used to populate the map only includes 3 common names, with the only other option being "I have no idea what this creature is."
A lot of the areas (including parts of NY State) shows survey responders choosing the "I have no idea what this creature is" option, but I believe that a lot who chose that response knew them by a different common name.

47bb1371dbbd2c29a03833f217227d7a.jpg

Also, the map asks:

• "What do you call the little gray creature (that looks like an insect but is actually a crustacean) that rolls up into a ball when you touch it?"

But Mental Floss lists 20 name variants and more correctly states:

•  "...These are actually two distinct animals that evolved separately but closely resemble each other. When threatened, pill millipedes can roll up into a perfect ball to protect themselves, so they're often called roly-polies or pillbugs. Woodlice are one of the few crustaceans that live on land, and they're common in many parts of the world...."

And, because those of us who have moved a lot in our lives can tend to remember things incorrectly (and I am one of those people who has often conflated memories my entire life) I realize that probably when in Connecticut (ages almost 4 to almost 8) the bugs like these I saw were known as "wood lice," and it was likely either in California or Illinois that I knew the real rollie-poly bugs as "Sow bugs" (which I stated on the main Jeopardy! page was what I called them in Connecticut).
But I might have that backwards.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

I'm bringing the discussion about noun genders over here from the main Season 38 thread:

Yeah, most Indo-European languages have gendered nouns, as it turns out.  English speakers learning foreign languages often ask, "Why do they give nouns genders?"  The better question is actually, "Why does English not have genders?"

From listening to John McWhorter's podcast, Lexicon Valley, I've learned that many (perhaps most) languages have some method of classifying nouns into groups, of which gender is only one example.  Some languages use shape, some use animate versus non-animate, some use human versus non-human.  English really is an odd man out in this regard.  Not entirely unique, but definitely unusual.

When I studied German in high school, we happened to have an exchange student from Germany at our school one year.  He often came and spoke to the German class about language and culture and stuff.  One day, someone asked him, "Don't you get tired of remembering all those genders?  Don't you wish that German didn't have noun genders?"  Now, this guy was very fluent in English, so he had direct experience speaking a language without gendered nouns.  But his response to the suggestion that German get rid of its genders was an emphatic, "No, of course not!  I wouldn't know how to talk."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm bringing the discussion about noun genders over here from the main Season 38 thread:

Yeah, most Indo-European languages have gendered nouns, as it turns out.  English speakers learning foreign languages often ask, "Why do they give nouns genders?"  The better question is actually, "Why does English not have genders?"

From listening to John McWhorter's podcast, Lexicon Valley, I've learned that many (perhaps most) languages have some method of classifying nouns into groups, of which gender is only one example.  Some languages use shape, some use animate versus non-animate, some use human versus non-human.  English really is an odd man out in this regard.  Not entirely unique, but definitely unusual.

When I studied German in high school, we happened to have an exchange student from Germany at our school one year.  He often came and spoke to the German class about language and culture and stuff.  One day, someone asked him, "Don't you get tired of remembering all those genders?  Don't you wish that German didn't have noun genders?"  Now, this guy was very fluent in English, so he had direct experience speaking a language without gendered nouns.  But his response to the suggestion that German get rid of its genders was an emphatic, "No, of course not!  I wouldn't know how to talk."

Very true, of course he learned the genders as he was learning the words themselves - as we learn the idiosyncrasies of our language. I speak only to the difficulty of non-native speakers/learners.

I actually was fluent in German at one time in my life - as a kid. But I lost it over the years. My biggest regret ever was testing out of German in college. Once my mother passed, I had no one to speak it with. The vocabulary has come back very easily - the grammar rules not so much.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make myself understood -and will even gain some marginal fluency since I'll be immersed it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

Of course, every language has its own idiosyncrasies.  English may seem "simple" at first because it lacks genders, but gender can be useful.  It often make it much more clear exactly who or what the antecedent of a pronoun is, for example.

Viel Glück!

• Love 3

Same with French. A pencil is male but a pen is female? Whyyyy? 

Lead is hard(ish), but ink is soft?  I guess?  Yeah, I don't really get it either.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:52 PM, ABay said:

Did the map have the wrong color for that part of the state?

Maryland seems really confused on the issue, lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Of course, every language has its own idiosyncrasies.  English may seem "simple" at first because it lacks genders, but gender can be useful.  It often make it much more clear exactly who or what the antecedent of a pronoun is, for example.

Viel Glück!

Fair point. Danke.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Same with French. A pencil is male but a pen is female? Whyyyy? 

Lead is hard(ish), but ink is soft?  I guess?  Yeah, I don't really get it either.

I can imagine a children's book using anthropromorphized pen and pencil characters to talk about gender identification and fluidity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I can imagine a children's book using anthropromorphized pen and pencil characters to talk about gender identification and fluidity.

I'd buy that book... and if anyone can recommend a "good" book to learn about non-binary/etc., I'd love to know the title so I can check it out from my libray. I do my best to understand why my girlfriend's daughter (age ~30) decided that 'they' are no longer female (nor male) and is not to be identified as a "daughter". Nor a sister. Etc. They had their breasts removed last year. This is serious transition... but to what? I've never questioned my femininity (that looks like way too many n's) nor my masculinity (I think as a balanced person, we need to be in touch with both... maybe?). I can imagine being of a different culture and I can imagine being all sorts of variations of me (I have fairies which may explain a bit about my OTL posts). I simply can't imagine being NON something. It seems to make the 'something' even more emphasized. If this doesn't make sense, then welcome to my world ;-)

• Love 3

PFLAG offers a list of resources.

TransEquality offers simple advice and I think the last one is probably the best in this situation:

Talk to non-binary people to learn more about who they are. There’s no one way to be non-binary. The best way to understand what it’s like to be non-binary is to talk with non-binary people and listen to their stories.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm old enough that I was taught in school that "wh" is pronounced with an aspiration in front of the w sound--that is, "hw."  So to me, Stewie Griffin saying "Cool Hwip" is not weird, but absolutely correct.  Any word beginning with "wh" should be pronounced that way.

I'll admit that I generally don't really pronounce them that way--but I consider myself lazy and incorrect for not doing so.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not a young'un and I never learned to pronounce the "h" in those words at all.  It's a silent h in all those cases.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I started school in the early 70s and we were definitely NOT taught to pronounce the h.  We were told it was a silent h.  Maybe that was a regional thing?

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was never taught to pronounce a WH word as HW until 10th grade (1964), when the biology teacher, of all disciplines, made a big deal out of it. The consensus was that Mr. Sheehan was crazy.

Continuing from the main thread, because I'm kind of fascinated at how fast this changed (or maybe it was regional all along?)  First grade phonics, 1963-64, like Mr. A (I think), we definitely learned that WH was in the group with CH, TH, SH, PH where the "H" changed the way it's pronounced.  Catholic school, WV, if that makes any difference.

But now that I think about it, I'm not sure I really pronounce wine/whine and the like that differently, unless I'm stressing it to make it clear which I mean.  I think I just "hear" the hw sound because I'm picturing the word.  And I really don't hear a difference one way or the other when someone else is speaking.  I just know it's there!

Edited by SoMuchTV
editing out some irrelavent parts from quotes
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Continuing from the main thread, because I'm kind of fascinated at how fast this changed (or maybe it was regional all along?)  First grade phonics, 1963-64, like Mr. A (I think), we definitely learned that WH was in the group with CH, TH, SH, PH where the "H" changed the way it's pronounced.  Catholic school, WV, if that makes any difference.

But now that I think about it, I'm not sure I really pronounce wine/whine and the like that differently, unless I'm stressing it to make it clear which I mean.  I think I just "hear" the hw sound because I'm picturing the word.  And I really don't hear a difference one way or the other when someone else is speaking.  I just know it's there!

I don’t recall ever having been taught to pronounce words beginning with “wh” as “hw,” and I don’t recall ever having been corrected for using a silent “h,” but the “hw”  sound doesn’t sound wrong to me either, and I’m very attuned to pronunciation variations. 
Is the “hw” sound used in “My Fair Lady” and some other British shows/movies about the elite? “My Fair Lady” was one of my parents’ LPs that provided the sound track of my early youth.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

“My Fair Lady” was one of my parents’ LPs that provided the sound track of my early youth.

It was the very first record album I bought! (I was an odd child.) I still love the movie, even though the last scene makes me cringe. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I liked Joey. He had such a positive personality. I can see where he’d be a good mascot. 

I thought it was so sweet when he got excited about the Harry Potter question.  I really liked him and was sad to see him go. For some reason we were focused on college mascots - and couldn't remember if he'd said that his character was an animal or not. (I thought not, the mister thought yes)

• Love 2

He did refer to a collegiate team/league, but I couldn’t figure out which one. There is a summer collegiate league and team based in Greensboro. There’s a team in Hampton VA called the Peninsula Pilots. I’m interested enough to do some more research. They may play against the Greensboro team.

• Love 3

Sounds like Joey may not be anyone’s regular mascot, but maybe a fill-in? Or maybe small teams just have a rotating roster of whoever’s available?

https://joeylavarias.com/new-blog/2021/12/2/the-new-new-new

I worked for a small baseball team, and it went so well, I got to do some more mascot work for other sports teams in North Carolina … I’m going to apply for more mascot jobs in the future, just to see what comes up from it. You never know, you might catch me at a game you attend in the near future, and you’d never know it!

It also seems that being a mascot is top secret work! Like if he reveals the team name, they’ll strip him of his grasshopper antennae?

• Love 1

I love minor league baseball! When we lived in Wichita, we went to the then-Wichita Wranglers games several times a season, and we were in the stands in 1992 when they won the championship for the Texas League.

When we moved to Omaha, we went to several games for the Omaha Royals, getting season tickets for several years. We also went to games in Des Moines, and when on vacation, went to the opening night for the Toledo Mudhens, Max Klinger's hometown team (M*A*S*H).

Since moving to Virginia, we go less because the teams are farther away, but we have been to games for the Norfolk Tides, the Richmond Braves and the Richmond Flying Squirrels, and the Potomac Cannon before they became the Potomac Nationals, then moving to Fredericksburg.

One year our summer vacation was a minor league baseball tour of North Carolina, with one game in Johnson City Tennessee. Eight nights,, one night per city/town, eight games, from A up to AAA. So much fun! We toured something in each place. A highlight was the Biltmore Estate in Asheville.

We also enjoy college baseball, but haven't been to a game for several years now. I prepared taxes during tax season, and then covid came along. I've been to a couple of major league games (Kansas City, Atlanta) but like the minors much more.

• Love 5

It's not directly related to Jeopardy! so I'll put this in Small Talk.

A bit of fun, I just discovered Kennections on Mental Floss. It's listed as #3, so I'm guessing it's a relatively new thing. I don't think it's been shared elsewhere in the Jeopardy! forums yet, but if it has, let me know and I'll gladly delete.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/ken-jennings-kennections-quiz-3#slideshow-top-bar-_rv9rh2e75

Welcome to the all-new edition of Kennections, a weekly quiz created by Jeopardy! champion/co-host Ken Jennings. Here's how to play: All five answers to the questions below have something in common.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

If you like Base Ball and history, you might want to check to see if there are any teams in your area that are part of the Vintage Base Ball Association.   As I have mentioned various places, my summers are spent following teams around Southeastern Michigan but especially at Greenfield Village where teams play from June to August.  Different teams play by the rules of different years - 1867 is my favorite - no gloves, no sliding, no spitting.  It is a great way to spend a day watching folks who love the game.  I know the VBBA has a website where you can locate teams around the country. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Since we have been talking about How to Succeed in Business in the season thread, here's Daniel Radcliffe as J Pierrepont Finch performing at the Tony Awards. I am not very familiar with the show and I am not crazy about Radcliffe's singing voice, but I am kind of impressed with his dancing here.

• Love 4
Just now, possibilities said:

Radcliffe has really been living his best life post-Potter.

I love this.  When I first saw it on Miracle Workers, I had to rewind and watch again immediately.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2022 at 6:32 PM, ProudMary said:

A bit of fun, I just discovered Kennections on Mental Floss. It's listed as #3, so I'm guessing it's a relatively new thing.

He's been doing Kennections on Mental Floss for at least a decade, but just started this new format which IMO isn't very good. The old format, you would type in your answer after each question and it would turn green and stay if you were correct. So far, this new version isn't user friendly. Yet.

Not sure if the old quizzes are still on Mental Floss. I've subscribed for a few years so get the link sent to me every weekend.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I love this.  When I first saw it on Miracle Workers, I had to rewind and watch again immediately.

The clip has confused me tremendously since I have no idea who the characters are and what their reactions mean. Is the looping from the show or just there so that one can watch it over and over? Is Miracle Workers worth watching?

9 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The clip has confused me tremendously since I have no idea who the characters are and what their reactions mean. Is the looping from the show or just there so that one can watch it over and over? Is Miracle Workers worth watching?

I’ve watched the three seasons of Miracle Workers. Each is a different story with different characters. I liked season 2 the best, but I think all are worth watching. The humor is a bit quirky, some might say twisted, and irreverent, but I’ve enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 3
On 4/4/2022 at 10:40 AM, Grundoon59 said:

If you like Base Ball and history, you might want to check to see if there are any teams in your area that are part of the Vintage Base Ball Association.   As I have mentioned various places, my summers are spent following teams around Southeastern Michigan but especially at Greenfield Village where teams play from June to August.  Different teams play by the rules of different years - 1867 is my favorite - no gloves, no sliding, no spitting.  It is a great way to spend a day watching folks who love the game.  I know the VBBA has a website where you can locate teams around the country. 

We’ve watched Vintage Base Ball in several locations, such as Wichita at Old Cowtown, near Des Moines at the Living History Farms, and in Virginia. Yes, makes for a great afternoon!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I missed Season 1, but really liked Season 2 a lot.  I think Season 3 (the clip is from Season 3) suffered from the pandemic, but it's still worth watching.

• Love 2