Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Happy Birthday today to Gordon Lightfoot!  He seems to be everywhere lately -- I saw an episode of 3rd Rock From The Sun Sunday where everyone was going to a Gordon Lightfoot concert.

Funny enough Gordon Lightfoot was my very first concert; followed by Jimmy Buffet at a community college before he hit it big. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I once attended an early Buffett concert where beer was served in buckets.  After a few songs, some dude in the audience stood up and yelled, "Let's get drunk and screw!"  At the time, I didn't know that was a Buffett song.  Yikes.

I was a big Buffet fan (not a parrothead - but the only craving I had for my first pregnancy was music - I'd only listen to Buffet). When I was finally at a concert, I was enjoyed it, but not as much as the people around us. I said to my husband that I didn't know why I wasn't enjoying it as much as the others, that there must be something wrong with me. He laughed and said "they're all stoned or drunk" Made me feel a lot better, and a little embarrassed.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

@saber5055 I was thinking last night about you getting your dream category of Dog Breeds. The best bonus of it was that Alex was there to deliver them to you. So many of us will never have our perfect line up let alone have Alex to read them to us. You are one lucky gal and I’m happy for you that it came to fruition. 

• Love 5

Thank you @Mindthinkr, that is very kind and thoughtful of you. Your post deserves multiple HEARTS from me. There's still some weeks to go for the category of HORSE BREEDS to come up with the clue of "This breed was named after some dude named Justin." Let's keep our fingers crossed!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you @Mindthinkr, that is very kind and thoughtful of you. Your post deserves multiple HEARTS from me. There's still some weeks to go for the category of HORSE BREEDS to come up with the clue of "This breed was named after some dude named Justin." Let's keep our fingers crossed!

What is Morgan? 

• Love 2

@Mindthinkr, you mentioned in the episode thread that you cook for other people. "I’ve cooked for other people. They just call me 10 minutes before they want it and it would all be bundled outside my front door." I was curious -- Is this a business or something you just do for other people because you're so nice?

• Love 2
On 11/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, peeayebee said:

@Mindthinkr, you mentioned in the episode thread that you cook for other people. "I’ve cooked for other people. They just call me 10 minutes before they want it and it would all be bundled outside my front door." I was curious -- Is this a business or something you just do for other people because you're so nice?

Sorry, I didn’t see your question until now. I just do it because sometimes others need it done. A hip replacement, a bad day of chemo, they may need to take a dish to a party or event and don’t want to take store bought, or they are hungry for something that I cook well. I’ve been offered money, but refuse to take it. I was given a nice antique chest for cooking Thanksgiving for some friends. They were redecorating and letting it go otherwise. 

@saber5055 Did I hear that today is your birthday?  🥳 Happy Birthday 🥳

I would have happily cooked a dinner and baked a cake for you. Enjoy what’s left of your day 😊

329EBB8D-C291-4A16-AEBF-22FEA74B591F.thumb.jpeg.a917bb171422ce0f0d014898232c3b9c.jpeg

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did I hear that today is your birthday?  🥳 Happy Birthday 🥳

Why yes, today IS my birthday, how did you know? Heh heh. Actually, truth is, the greetings I got here is all I got for my birthday. It's a tough time of year for someone alone with no family ... Thanksgiving, birthday, Christmas, New Years, all just more days to me. I woke up this a.m. rather depressed, but being able to be outside on a sunny day, even if it was 30 degrees, and play some ball with the dogs perked me up a bit. I remember one year, I woke up and while coming awake, thought "Happy birthday to me." And that was my celebration that year. Some of my clients know my birthday, but none ever remembers. And I'm okay with that. Let's just say I'm used to it.

The highlight of my day will be live posting The Bachelorette tonight. I am easy to please!

LOVE your antique chest. Beautiful, and beautiful floor, too. You are a kind-hearted person. Actually, that chest would look pretty good in my house ... Hee hee!

• Love 6

I developed the photos from @Clanstarling's birthday celebration. The first one is Clan with the great cake her family made for her. The next one was taken in Clanstarling's back yard, the morning after a night of hard birthday partying. It's like we were there! Hope you had a good one, Clanstarling.

1061767995_clanstarllingbdaycopy.jpg.6089d786ac5b42ca7038c23b38bb7b6a.jpg788855545_starling-factscopy.jpg.e783d320f2a84167644256da1c8c9f7f.jpg

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I developed the photos from @Clanstarling's birthday celebration. The first one is Clan with the great cake her family made for her. The next one was taken in Clanstarling's back yard, the morning after a night of hard birthday partying. It's like we were there! Hope you had a good one, Clanstarling.

1061767995_clanstarllingbdaycopy.jpg.6089d786ac5b42ca7038c23b38bb7b6a.jpg788855545_starling-factscopy.jpg.e783d320f2a84167644256da1c8c9f7f.jpg

I did, thank you so much @saber5055. You captured my morning look. 😅

• LOL 3

Belated birthday wishes to you, SABER5055. Sorry you had to spend it alone.

As for me, we're in the middle of moving, so I haven't watched Jeopardy for a couple of days, I guess. IT'S ALL A BLUR!!! So hectic, so stressful, just ACKKKKKKK!!!! We'll be moving from here (Southern California) to Colorado, but right now we're temporarily at a friend's rental house for a few months until I'm thru with PT for my arm. Right now we don't have antenna or access to regular channels, so it's looks like no Jeopardy for me for a few months unless we find a solution. 😞

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Belated birthday wishes to you, SABER5055. Sorry you had to spend it alone.

As for me, we're in the middle of moving, so I haven't watched Jeopardy for a couple of days, I guess. IT'S ALL A BLUR!!! So hectic, so stressful, just ACKKKKKKK!!!! We'll be moving from here (Southern California) to Colorado, but right now we're temporarily at a friend's rental house for a few months until I'm thru with PT for my arm. Right now we don't have antenna or access to regular channels, so it's looks like no Jeopardy for me for a few months unless we find a solution. 😞

I can't imagine the stress. Good luck, safe journey.

• Love 3

Thanks for the nice wishes @peeayebee. Good luck with that move, although I'm not sure about the thinking behind moving from southern California to Colorado in December. I work for a client in Denver and one in Fort Collins. They both are actually farther south on the map than I am. So there's that.

Can you maybe grab a cheap antenna at Walmart to bring in some local channels?

I hope your arm continues to improve and there is some nice eye candy at your therapy sessions. Okay, so maybe that's just me wishing for the eye candy. Once the nightmare of moving is over, life should be vastly improved. I was moving to Boulder after graduating college but came back to Illinois for my boyfriend. Wow, talk about a bad decision all the way around.

Safe travels, and stop in when you can and say HI. We'll need updates!

• Love 2

Thanks for the good wishes.

We may get an antenna. I don't know. Kinda last on our list right now.

We probably won't be moving to Colorado until March. Hopefully we'll catch things betw snowfalls. 🙂

I won't get into details, but it was a horrendous move. We have so much stuff, and this temp house we're in is packed with the owner's own stuff and that of his family's. We will be sorting and organizing today. Hopefully we'll make a dent.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

We have so much stuff, and this temp house we're in is packed with the owner's own stuff and that of his family's. We will be sorting and organizing today. Hopefully we'll make a dent.

Gah, good luck with that nightmare. Three years ago I bought a property in SW Missouri to move near my best friend. Long story short, she ended up not being not so nice, so I sold that acreage to someone who called me out of the blue and wanted to buy it. Even shorter story, I was just going to sell everything here in an auction. Let the guys carry everything out of the house and barns, auction it all, and send me a check. At least you have help (I hope!).

• Love 3

Happy late birthday wishes to Saber5055 and Clanstarling. I don't get on this site often enough to keep up with the times. Also best wishes in your move Peeayebee. It sounds exciting although so much work. It will be worth it in the end though.

• Love 3

In honor of yesterday's FJ answer,  here is a little story about unicorns.

All of the animals had been gathered and were safely on Noah's ark. After two days afloat, the two unicorns finally found each other.

"Hi," said the first. "My name is Frank."

"Hi Frank," said the second. "My name is George."

Then both unicorns said: "Oh, crap."

• LOL 7

We've had discussions in the past on the silent L, like in almond or salmon. I just heard a word on the news that makes me think this may be one of those...  Does the first L in "vulnerable" get pronounced?  I always have, but I recall my mom not pronouncing it. I just heard a reporter on the news not pronounce the L. I think "vunnerable" sounds stupid.  Does anyone else have facts or opinions on this? I'm curious.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We've had discussions in the past on the silent L, like in almond or salmon. I just heard a word on the news that makes me think this may be one of those...  Does the first L in "vulnerable" get pronounced?  I always have, but I recall my mom not pronouncing it. I just heard a reporter on the news not pronounce the L. I think "vunnerable" sounds stupid.  Does anyone else have facts or opinions on this? I'm curious.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard “vulnerable” pronounced without the first L, but maybe it’s like “government” where the first N gets kind of dissolved. 

FWIW, I’ve never heard “salmon” pronounced with an L (other than when it’s someone’s last name), and I’ve never heard “almond” without the L. Would it be “ah-mond”?  Not saying it doesn’t happen, I’ve just never heard it (US upper southeast & lower northeast). 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard “vulnerable” pronounced without the first L, but maybe it’s like “government” where the first N gets kind of dissolved. 

FWIW, I’ve never heard “salmon” pronounced with an L (other than when it’s someone’s last name), and I’ve never heard “almond” without the L. Would it be “ah-mond”?  Not saying it doesn’t happen, I’ve just never heard it (US upper southeast & lower northeast). 

I have often heard almond without the L, both with "ah mond" and then another version I can't quite figure out how to write - kind of like "a" as in salmon (without the L) and then "mond".

I've lived all over, except for the east - south or north.

I'm never sure if I pronounce the "l" because as soon as someone points it out, I don't know if I'm using my usual pronunciation or not. 😆

Edited by Clanstarling

Re: Stagg chili.  A couple of decades ago, I worked for a really fun software company.  (I was in finance there.) Anyway, we had Friday afternoons, where we chatted together and enjoyed refreshing alcoholic beverages, like wine coolers, as well as tons of junk food.  The company also sponsored team-building group outings, which really were fun and helpful.  One thing we did was a chili cook-off.  For several Fridays, we signed up and brought chili, which was judged, and the winner each week also participated in the finals.  One of my friends forgot his turn for chili, so he stopped at a supermarket and bought two varieties of Stagg chili for his entry.  Mixed up in the crockpot, and told no one (until he told me later).  His chili won that week!  When it came time for the finals, he was agonizing over whether to bring the Stagg combo, or make his usual recipe.  I don't remember which he did, but he placed second I think.

@saber5055, I popped over to the Supermarket Sweep Forum.  I don't watch the show so hadn't read the forum yet.  Looks fun, thought!

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just heard a reporter on the news not pronounce the L. I think "vunnerable" sounds stupid.  Does anyone else have facts or opinions on this? I'm curious.

LOL because this was on The Bachelorette thread last episode, everyone was making fun of the B-ette saying "vunnerable" and how stupid she sounded. I agree that the L should be pronounced. Which means I'll never be The Bachelorette, where bad grammar and poor pronunciation is a requirement to be on the show.

• LOL 3

Food and Drink for $200, please...

I recently tried a new restaurant via Grub Hub.  The beverages were mostly 20-oz bottles for $2.99.  But they also offered Fanta Orange and Fanta Strawberry for $5.99.  I suppose those are imported Fantas with cane sugar, not the American High Fructose crap.  There used to be a BBQ restaurant down the street that had those delicious Mexican "Jarritos" sodas.  They named the restaurant after the creek the owners lived on.  Somehow, people didn't take to a BBQ joint named "Burnt Fork."

Saber, keep those brats as Saber Treats.  If your diet denies you your favorite foods, you will grow to resent it.  Nothing wrong with a wee treat every now and then, if it's only half a brat.

Old TV Shows for $600...

I, too, had a crush on Bret Maverick. As a kid, I watched all the other westerns for the horses, but I watched Maverick for Garner.  Now that I'm WAY older and bought the boxed set, I notice things a 7-year-old wouldn't.  Jack Kelly wore his wedding ring as a pinky ring on his right hand.  They once had a semi-close-up of his hands playing cards (You KNEW the real close-ups were some fancy card player, not the actors) and looking at his hands, you can see the tan line of where he normally wore his wedding ring. Hahaha.

The well-fitting pants: The Maverick boys wore some sort of stretchy fabric pants that had "stirrups" on the bottom, to keep the pant legs looking straight and not ride up when mounting a horse. (They're actors, not equestrians) After you notice it, you can't help but see it all the time. Hahahaha.

• Love 3

So PW, did you get the high-priced Fanta? I grew up thinking Fanta was a cheap knock-off store variety of soda pop. Interesting that it had/has German roots. But I was born and raised a Midwesterner, if that makes anything clearer.

We have Jarritos around here, in all the stores, even the little local Dollar Generals and places like that. I've always looked at it, never bought any. There is a large Latino population where I grew up, so we had the best "real" tacos and other favorite foods. There are still bodegas around if you know the neighborhoods.

LOL about those Maverick stretch pants. When I first started skiing as a kid, I had a pair of stretch pants with the loop that went under the foot. They were pretty stylish back then, and Mary Tyler Moore wore them on The Dick Van Dyke Show. I doubt even a Good Will would have a pair these days. I guess today's Maverick boys would wear Lululemons. (Actually, that could be rather interesting.)

Now I have to find a Maverick episode starring Bart so I can check out his wedding/pinky ring. That's a good catch, PW, about the tan line. It bugged me when Beau Maverick was added  to the series when the writers started running out of ideas. It also bugged me that Bret wore his hat on the back of his head. What was up with that?

Have Gun Will Travel ... did anyone anywhere think of Richard Boone as a sex symbol? If so, raise your hand ...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Nothing wrong with a wee treat every now and then

Right.  I knew a man who had a glass of his favorite Scotch every evening, until his cardiologist told him to quit. After that he had a teaspoon of the Scotch every evening. He said the first sip tasted the best anyway.

• LOL 1
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Have Gun Will Travel ... did anyone anywhere think of Richard Boone as a sex symbol? If so, raise your hand ...

My mom did.  I thought his first name was Wire.  That's what his business card said - Have Gun, Will Travel.  Wire Paladin. San Francisco.  My brother couldn't stop laughing when I told him Paladin's first name was Wire.

No, I didn't think any soda was worth $6. I went with the Minute Maid Lemonade. Hahahaha

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The well-fitting pants:

Ever watch "Wild Wild West"???? Jim West (Robert Conrad) had the tightest pants (no matter which outfit he wore)!! We used to wonder how he sat down without ripping them (no panty lines either). They were practically painted on.

• LOL 1
24 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Ever watch "Wild Wild West"???? Jim West (Robert Conrad) had the tightest pants (no matter which outfit he wore)!! We used to wonder how he sat down without ripping them (no panty lines either). They were practically painted on.

He wore those pants very well indeed.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL about those Maverick stretch pants. When I first started skiing as a kid, I had a pair of stretch pants with the loop that went under the foot.

I had a pair of those pants too, though they were part of a ski ensemble my parents got me for Christmas when I was 12. I went skiing once (long story) but I wore the clothes and boots (back then they were real boots) forever. I was still wearing my anorak in my 20s.

My very young self thought Boone was pretty hot. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I watched that show as a kid and never once noticed his pants. But now I have to look up an episode to check out those trou, So thanks for that tip. Because these days, I'm all about the pants. Heh. I was a lot older when I learned about VPL.

Conrad's Black Sheep Squadron airs here Saturday night, but I typically watch Svengoolie when it's on. This Saturday though, channel switch to find out if Pappy is wearing Jim West's pants.

59 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I wore the clothes and boots (back then they were real boots) forever.

My ski boots made me walk like Frankenstein. I was an avid skier for many years. Not sure what kind of boots skiers wear today.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

A nice view ... of the stirrup pants. But what's up with the long coats?

bret.jpg.2395c85f9db400c02fcd0bf855f8b5dc.jpgJKJGMaverickEvenTDS(1).jpg.a1df03e714b748c0846965ea25e58847.jpg

It's called a frock coat, and it was stylish (though not formal) menswear for all of the Victorian era. If you look at photographs or pictures of Civil War era soldiers, the officers wear frock coats. Enlisted men wore sack coats, which eventually became the business suit jacket or sport jacket of today.

Since the Maverick brothers are wearing frock coats, they would be recognized at a casual glance as gentlemen with a bit of money and class, not ordinary working men.

• Useful 5
10 hours ago, j5cochran said:

It's called a frock coat

Yeah, all that info in nice, but I was making a cheap shot about the long coat covering up the main reason some viewers are interested in checking out and discussing men's pants. *ahem* Josh Randall never wore a frock coat over his stretchy pants, thank you very much, show.

• LOL 2

For anyone who enjoys old-time radio, Chicago's WGN ran old radio shows Christmas Eve and all day yesterday. The fellow who does the rebroadcasts is offering a free download of five shows from his website here:

https://100radioshows.com/

I got them last night, and they are excellent quality and lots of fun listening. You can download to your HD or play them from the link. He is also offering 70 percent off packages of 100 shows (each are 50 hours), so each package (different themes) would only be $30. Not sure how long the bargains and free downloads will last. I personally love these old shows. Merry Christmas gifting from Saber (and Chicago radio)!

• Love 1

I was watching The Match Game (the one from the 70s) earlier today.  "Clara the clown was so silly, she had 3 red noses - one for her nose and the other two for her <blank>"

While the celebrities were writing their answers, Brett Somers pipes up with Clara was actually played by a man...and whole big discussion of Howdy Doody ensued.  All the while I was yelling at the TV "CLARABELLE!"  Not Clara, Clarabelle.  They didn't hear me over Somers' constant nattering.

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Brett Somers pipes up with Clara was actually played by a man...and whole big discussion of Howdy Doody ensued. 

Clarabelle was played by a man, but the clue says Match Game's Clara was female. As for not-so-smart Brett Somers ... that's a name I haven't heard since ... the 70s! Joel McHale would have corrected her about Clara/Clarabelle if he had been on that panel. Or born yet. I feel your frustration, PW.

• Love 1