Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Driad said:

I once spent a week on a small ship.  The first night back on land, I couldn't sleep, because it wasn't rocking.

LOL! You needed one of those old put-a-quarter-in bed shakers found in every roadside motel!

I can picture myself falling over after getting off that Lindblad ship onto non-moving terra firma, like those people who do the head spin around a baseball bat.

• Love 3

I have a regular Sleep Number mattress, but the fancy schmancy one my parents have has that massage feature, too.  I sleep in their room when I cat-sit (I like to fall asleep to TV, and there isn't one in the guest bedroom - plus, two cats manage to take up quite a bit of room, so I like being in a king-sized bed), and I love how you can contort the mattress into different positions at the push of a button, so when I get a new Sleep Number mattress it will be one like that.  But I don't use the massage feature; it makes me feel nauseated.  So imagine my displeasure when Chester - who has an uncanny knack for stepping on the remote - activated the massage feature in the middle of the night.  Meanwhile, he and Bandit both looked like, "Oh, that feels nice," so I guess they join your cats in loving it - LOL at them thinking the bed is purring.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

It's like rubbing my head and patting my tummy.

I'm sure I've tried that before, but I just did it again upon reading this in the season thread, and it's the damndest thing:  If I rub my stomach and pat my head, I can do it with either hand combination.  But if it's my head that I'm rubbing, and stomach getting the patting, I can only do it if I use my right hand to rub my head and my left to pat my stomach.  I can't do it the other way around; one or both hands start doing the wrong thing.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2019 at 4:53 AM, Browncoat said:

But the wind!  On a couple of days the wind was just brutal, and I needed all the layers, and no one stayed out very long.

Around here we say, "It's so cold the wind goes right through you." And it does, so I know what you mean. In the summer, the popular sentence is: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

The day you came home, @Browncoat, I thought I heard a man became the first person to cross Antarctica alone on foot. I need to look that up.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Around here we say, "It's so cold the wind goes right through you." And it does, so I know what you mean. In the summer, the popular sentence is: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

The day you came home, @Browncoat, I thought I heard a man became the first person to cross Antarctica alone on foot. I need to look that up.

Yesterday, here, was a very windy day(I pretentiously wore my parka to work!), but even that cut-right-through-you wind had nothing on those Antarctic winds.  

We were talking about that guy while I was on the ship, @saber5055.  I think he completed that trip just before I left?  Or just after we left?  I’m not sure, either.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Hey!  It looks like my new avatar works!

It does work! It will take me a bit to recognize you now. Great avatar though. Me likey.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:58 AM, Browncoat said:

We were talking about that guy while I was on the ship, @saber5055.  I think he completed that trip just before I left?  Or just after we left?  I’m not sure, either.

He finished the day after Christmas, 54 days to go 932 miles on foot, pulling a sled. Here is his Instagram. You might recognize some of the scenery! He beat out a Brit who also was there to try to win first ahead of him. Interestingly, I only saw this report once on one newscast, and I watch several news hours a day. (All network though, three channels.)

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

It does work! It will take me a bit to recognize you now. Great avatar though. Me likey.

He finished the day after Christmas, 54 days to go 932 miles on foot, pulling a sled. Here is his Instagram. You might recognize some of the scenery! He beat out a Brit who also was there to try to win first ahead of him. Interestingly, I only saw this report once on one newscast, and I watch several news hours a day. (All network though, three channels.)

We boarded the day after Boxing Day -- that's why we were talking about him!  And my new avatar is maybe my favorite photo that I took, even though it's a Chinstrap Penguin (my second favorite), and not an Adelie (my favorite).

• Love 1

My hometown was mentioned two night in a row on David Muir's ABC Evening News, both nights for having record low temps. Thursday morning, 7 a.m., temp was -33 actual temp. The day before, air temp was -25, wind chill -55. Everything has been closed, even the post office stopped delivery for two days, the first time ever that's happened. Amtrak cancelled trains, commuter trains cancelled in Chicago. I still had to go outside to take care of horses, ex dogs, do all those farm chores.

Today I learned we've had more than 50 inches of snow since November, 30 inches just in January. Eight more inches are coming in the next couple of days. Local news warned everyone in my county to stay home, all county roads were 100-percent snow covered, plows can't keep up with drifting and blowing 30 inches of the stuff.

*sigh*

When it melts, and ice jams back up all the rivers so they flood, it will be like The End of Days. But one worry at a time, please!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Being from Chicago, you almost have to add to the above to say that Monday's forecast high will be about 52.

Well, today (Saturday) it's 30 degrees and while I put on boots and mittens to do outside chores, I did not bother to put on a hat OR coat. Two of my dogs are still outside, they have no interest in coming in. (They have a dog door so can come/go at will.)

I don't want to think about Monday's 52, which means all will be under water. But thanks for the reminder! We'll probably be on national news again for the Noah's-ark-level of flooding.

I'm hoping to be able to drive out of here tomorrow, the first time in more than two weeks. Maybe roads will be clear by then!

• Love 1

OMG, y'all.  I was out this afternoon, and bought something that came to $9.17.  I gave the guy a $20, then said, "Oh, wait, I have 17 cents."  He didn't want to take it because the register had already told him how much change to give me -- he could not figure out on his own that if I gave him 17 cents, he owed me $11 back.  He tried to give me just $10!  I had to reassure him that the cash drawer would come out right, and I was ready to write it out on paper, but he finally did believe me about my change.  It made me very sad.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

OMG, y'all.  I was out this afternoon, and bought something that came to $9.17.  I gave the guy a $20, then said, "Oh, wait, I have 17 cents."  He didn't want to take it because the register had already told him how much change to give me -- he could not figure out on his own that if I gave him 17 cents, he owed me $11 back.  He tried to give me just $10!  I had to reassure him that the cash drawer would come out right, and I was ready to write it out on paper, but he finally did believe me about my change.  It made me very sad.

This type of thing happens to me all the time, although not quite as clear-cut as your example. Like something comes to $9.87 and I don't like pennies, so I hand over $10 and 2 cents. Nobody gets what I'm doing. "Take your 2 cents back!"

Their ineptitude drives me crazy because (honest to God) I totally suck at math. I was an English major. But I can still figure out that giving $10 and 2 cents will get me back a dime and a nickel. Just trying to avoid more dreaded pennies, yo. 

• Love 4

I was at IHOP and gave the cashier the money & change (but not the exact right change) and she gives me the change back (closing the drawer) & I look and say "you gave me a nickel, I should have only gotten 3 cents back" and she takes back the nickel, stares at the register for a while, and finally says "just keep the nickel"---it was just too complicated to reopen the drawer & get the correct change, she was willing to be off by that 2 cents.

• Love 3

I went to Michel's a few years ago to buy some ribbon. I took the spool I selected to the cashier (who had a 1 foot/12 inch measure at her station), and asked for a yard. Blank stare. I said a yard is 3 feet. Blank stare. I pointed to the foot ruler and said, I need 3 lengths of this. I ended up measuring it for her. Why would a store like Michel's hire someone who has no idea on linear measurements?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I was out this afternoon, and bought something that came to $9.17. 

Oh, gosh, 917 is my "special" number. I see it often and it means much to me. So ... freak me out!

38 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I was at IHOP

Did you get molasses with those pancakes?

I've been hearing debates on the radio about the pros and cons of schools starting to teach handwriting again. Because kids can't read anything that isn't printed, and don't know how to write any words. So I'm not shocked about people not being able to add and subtract in their heads. I almost always give exact change if no one is waiting behind me. I try to keep my little purse weighing less than five pounds with all the coins stashed in it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, rubaco said:

This type of thing happens to me all the time, although not quite as clear-cut as your example. Like something comes to $9.87 and I don't like pennies, so I hand over $10 and 2 cents. Nobody gets what I'm doing. "Take your 2 cents back!"

Their ineptitude drives me crazy because (honest to God) I totally suck at math. I was an English major. But I can still figure out that giving $10 and 2 cents will get me back a dime and a nickel. Just trying to avoid more dreaded pennies, yo. 

Ugh pennies - so glad we got rid of them!! I'll admit, it took some convincing...but it really is nice to not have to worry about them.

I was in Florida last year though at Universal Studios, and I tried to pay for something. I had exact change and it included the dreaded pennies. When one of my pennies was a Canadian penny, they refused to accept it - but apparently it was good enough for them to give me as change on another purchase! I had to break a 20-dollar bill just to pay for the item because they wouldn't accept the penny that they had given me in the first place.

• Love 2

I don't have any problem with pennies. In fact, I like them. They account for detailed change, and I'm a fan of details. You know, like trivia on Jeopardy. I also know if one saves pennies, one can then get a bigger coin in exchange. Of course, I also remember 5-cent stamps. Those took five pennies to buy!

It's a bonus to me if I ever get a Canadian coin in return change. I stash them away. I've never known anyone to look at/examine the coins I give for payment. Maybe that Canada penny was just too shiny to be real.

People are getting so lazy these days. Don't want to count pennies, can't write a thank you card much less mail one, can't type whole words in emails. Think a real job is posting photos on Instagram.

• Love 5
On 2/2/2019 at 9:42 PM, secnarf said:

I was in Florida last year though at Universal Studios, and I tried to pay for something. I had exact change and it included the dreaded pennies. When one of my pennies was a Canadian penny, they refused to accept it - but apparently it was good enough for them to give me as change on another purchase! I had to break a 20-dollar bill just to pay for the item because they wouldn't accept the penny that they had given me in the first place.

I worked at a gift shop here in Virginia.  We were supposed to not accept foreign coins, usually Canadian, but every once in a while what looked like a penny or dime would slip through.  I'm sure if we were busy, sometimes the coin would be given out with change.  Not accepting them had something to do with the bank deposit - the bank didn't want them either.

They don't have the same value, and Canadian coins are traditionally worth less than the US equivalent, which is why the bank won't accept them (and coin counting machines generally now can tell them apart), so the store doesn't want them, and so on.  The difference in value for one coin to the other isn't huge, but it's sort of like Superman 3 or Office Space, with the partial fractions of pennies--they add up.  Or so I was taught when I worked as a cashier in a major chain store.

I always check the coin machine at my grocery store. One day I found almost $15 in change in the lower bin. I've also found 1 Euro coins in there. I've been saving all my found coins for over 20 years after my FIL showed me his collection. I probably have over $100. I've gotten lots of different countries currencies from there.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I worked at a gift shop here in Virginia.  We were supposed to not accept foreign coins, usually Canadian, but every once in a while what looked like a penny or dime would slip through.  I'm sure if we were busy, sometimes the coin would be given out with change.  Not accepting them had something to do with the bank deposit - the bank didn't want them either.

2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

They don't have the same value, and Canadian coins are traditionally worth less than the US equivalent, which is why the bank won't accept them (and coin counting machines generally now can tell them apart), so the store doesn't want them, and so on.  The difference in value for one coin to the other isn't huge, but it's sort of like Superman 3 or Office Space, with the partial fractions of pennies--they add up.  Or so I was taught when I worked as a cashier in a major chain store.

It's one thing to not accept them at all, but they obviously had accepted them at one point and then felt they were appropriate to return to me as change for another purchase at some point in the previous 48 hours, so then suddenly they were refusing to accept it when I tried to use it to pay for this purchase?! It's a single penny. They aren't even made anymore. It's not going to bankrupt anyone, they're not going to be overrun with these pennies. I didn't bring it from home to try to spend there - they gave it to me!

Thanks @Trey, I did see those Westminster photos. They are good ones. Non-dog people take more interesting photos that "dog" people. My takeaway: Photo 6 - Heather Helmer (yes, I know her) has really masculine hands and needs a manicure. What's up with that? Photo 8 - love this one, a view a regular dog-show person would never think of. Photo 12 - Almost missed getting the dog in. Too bad Bourbon's beautiful neck wasn't included. Don't like this one. Photo 13 - WTH Cheslie, get an outfit with pockets. Your bait is nasty. Photo 18 - Love this one. Photo 22 - This is my favorite photo of all of them. Love it! Photo 28 - I was bitten in the face by a Cane Corso. This photo creeps me out.

• Love 1

Saber5055 -- the articles I have seen about dog shows say that the judges are mainly looking for how well a dog matches breed standards. Why is so much grooming (several hours in some cases) necessary? I understand the necessity for good behavior, but not great shininess etc.  adTHANKSvance!

• Love 1
On 2/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, Driad said:

the articles I have seen about dog shows say that the judges are mainly looking for how well a dog matches breed standards. Why is so much grooming (several hours in some cases) necessary?

Each AKC breed has a written standard that describes the perfect dog for that breed. The catch is, no dog is perfect. Some are nearly so; most need help. Dogs with a lot of coat are groomed to put a perfect outline on a dog that isn't so perfect. Skilled groomers can make a dog look like it has wonderful shoulders, a long neck, correctly turned stifles, a level topline when in reality the dog is straight shouldered, short necked, straight in the rear and has a dip in the topline. That's why judges put their hands on the dogs and feel every part of them, to find out what is under that fabulous coat. Sometimes it's a fabulous dog. Many times it's not.

The long-haired, flat-coated dogs like Lhasas and Havanese are bathed and blow dried before a show to straighten their coat and get it to lie flat. Otherwise, those dogs can look like a hair explosion if they were just taken from their crate directly to the ring. In fact, most if not all dogs are bathed and blow dried before they are shown. It's a courtesy to the judge to show him/her a clean dog, neatly groomed, all hair in place. Coated breed standards describe in detail how the hair/coat should appear, and hard-coated terriers, like the Wire Fox that won Westminster Best in Show, have exact descriptions of coat patterns that must be followed: where does the beard start, where do the eyebrows start/stop, where do leg furnishings start and so forth. Every terrier is groomed/stripped in a pattern that differs by breed. Terrier people obsess over every single stray hair that MIGHT be out of place.

The only dogs that you can't do much to change are single-coated short-haired breeds like Dobermans, Dalmatians, Miniature Pinschers. You just need to have a really good dog to win in those breeds since there is no chance to "fool" a judge with manipulating a fancy hairdo. We call those wash-and-wear dogs. (The key to winning is to get a not-perfect dog to show like it owns the ring, and to set it up for the judge so the faults don't show.) You will still see handlers fussing with those short-haired dog, with brushes or shine rags or a comb or something. Chalk that up to nervous energy and the handler needing something to do to make him/her look busy and "like they know what they are doing." Seeing a handler doing something can start a trend with other people doing the same thing; the thinking is it must be important if So And So Handler just did it!

Apologies for the long answer. But I did condense it down from all I could say! I'm loaded with stories. Thanks for asking.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Thank you, Saber.  They sometimes show a judge reaching through a dog's fur to feel the shape of its head or something.

A French advertisement  (from about 2006) about misconceptions of the movie "March of the Penguins." In France, its original title was "March of the Emperor."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

@Browncoat, was that your Penguin Adventure picture in the local paper this morning? If it was, hi neighbor! I'm a lurker who lives in an adjoining city!

Edited by 24k Kate
Who is someone who took 5 tries to figure out how to use the @ tag feature!
1 hour ago, 24k Kate said:

@Browncoat, was that your Penguin Adventure picture in the local paper this morning? If it was, hi neighbor! I'm a lurker who lives in an adjoining city!

I don't think so -- I haven't been interviewed for any newspaper articles.  What paper was it?  Do you have a link?  I'm in Virginia, incidentally.

22 minutes ago, 24k Kate said:

What A Trip: Antarctica.

I'm in Virginia too. 😊

Cool!  I was on the Orion's sister ship, Explorer.  We didn't quite make it to the Antarctic Circle -- too early in the season. 

I'm on the other side of Virginia, but I was near your neck of the woods this past weekend (visiting Williamsburg).

I'm curious . . . (of course, I'm curious, I'm a Jeopardy fan!)

In a comment today, @proserpina65 mentioned being a contestant. I know that @MrAtoz was also, and that @teebax will be one in the teachers' tournament this spring.

So, who else on this board has been or will be on the show?  Don't be shy?  We won't bite. Hard!

Edited by j5cochran
Hit enter too soon!
  • Love 3

The "special" South Florida online test is tonight. I signed up last week and the confirmation email said "stay tuned for more info as the test date approaches". I got an email yesterday that's full of come-ons for the Jeopardy/Sony website, but there's no information about the test. Nothing today, either.

EDIT: eh.... I think I figured it out so thanks but never mind!

Edited by Tabasco Cat
bah

Thanks, saber5055. I found out that 2 answers I thought might be wrong were actually correct so hope is alive! I'm also still eligible to take the nationwide test in April. I think I would do worse in the Teen Tournament 😀 I'm bad at current celebrity and entertainment categories. One test question was identifying a Taylor Swift song by the lyrics. I couldn't do that on my best day.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2019 at 4:07 PM, Tabasco Cat said:

I'm bad at current celebrity and entertainment categories. One test question was identifying a Taylor Swift song by the lyrics. I couldn't do that on my best day.

Study all of the above before that April test. Become a charter member of Taylor Swift's squad!

On 3/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, j5cochran said:

I'm curious . . . (of course, I'm curious, I'm a Jeopardy fan!)

In a comment today, @proserpina65 mentioned being a contestant. I know that @MrAtoz was also, and that @teebax will be one in the teachers' tournament this spring.

So, who else on this board has been or will be on the show?  Don't be shy?  We won't bite. Hard!

I was, back in 2010. I was the only one to get FJ, but the champ had already made it a runaway with his buzzer skills.

• Love 4