Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lisin

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

I'm off on vacation next week to a sunny destination without children. I don't do sun, so I predict lots of time reading on my hotel balcony. Anyone want to hit me with your best ideas for Kindle books? Nothing too heavy, it is vacation after all. I mean, I could reread my Georgette Heyer and Rex Stout collections, but something new would be nice. I like thrillers too in the style of Gregg Hurwitz. 

Naturally I will also be on this board hanging on every word, and watching Jeopardy via the satellite app on my phone. And maybe I'll even study a wee bit in case I get called to be cannon fodder for the Holzhauer (which sounds like a WWI-era weapon, doesn't it?).

Edited by Abstract
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

the woman in the window by A.J. Finn was a page turner I could hardly put down. I
 love anything by Bill Bryson. In a Sunburned Country about his travels in Australia was a hoot.

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

11 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Anyone want to hit me with your best ideas for Kindle books? Nothing too heavy, it is vacation after all. I mean, I could reread my Georgette Heyer and Rex Stout collections, but something new would be nice

If you like older mysteries, I would recommend the Henry Gamadge series by Elizabeth Daly.  They were written in the 1940s.  This is one of my most favourite series, along with the Rex Stout books. 

There are sixteen books in the series and they are all available as Kindle books on Amazon.

Enjoy your trip!

• Useful 1

@Abstract, if you like Gregg Hurwitz, you should try Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay, if you haven't already.

Lisa Scottoline has a series about an all-female law firm. They are generally quick & light reads.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've recently gotten into the Agatha Raisin mysteries by MC Beaton & am enjoying them (well, the 1/2 of the one I've read anyway).

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers whether your kids are of the 2-legged, 4-legged, slithering, or swimming variety! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I've recently gotten into the Agatha Raisin mysteries by MC Beaton & am enjoying them (well, the 1/2 of the one I've read anyway).

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers whether your kids are of the 2-legged, 4-legged, slithering, or swimming variety! 

I adore MC Beaton's Regency romances as well. They're hysterical.

22 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I adore MC Beaton's Regency romances as well. They're hysterical.

I'll have to check those out - thanks for the recommendation. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

One of the first (free) books I got for my Kindle was Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone" - said to be the first detective mystery.  But I had always heard that about Murders in the Rue Morgue, too.  Anyway, I enjoyed the novel, so I read his second one (also free on Amazon for Kindle), "The Woman in White."

Send us a postcard!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recommendations! 

I just did a speed-read of Prisoner of Trebekistan by Bob Harris. (I should have saved it for vacation, but I have no willpower.) It's a must-read for any Jeopardy fan or hopeful contestant. 

• Useful 2

It's quiet in here! 

I just forced myself to face a demon. I used to dabble in songwriting until my iPad with all my songs on it was stolen a few years ago (not backed up, like an clueless moron). I knew there were scraps and scribbles in a notebook, but I couldn't face looking to see how sparse the scraps were. 

So I faced the demons tonight. I looked through the old notebook, I combed through old emails to see what I might have sent to a friend, hoping to find some of my most completed work. And I came up with squat. I was especially disappointed not to find the Taylor Swift-esque pop song inspired by a Jeopardy contestant, because I figured it would at least be good for a laugh. 

Always back things up. Always. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Abstract said:

I looked through the old notebook, I combed through old emails to see what I might have sent to a friend, hoping to find some of my most completed work. And I came up with squat.

You will recognize your work when you hear it on the radio ... or American Idol. Bummer about your loss. Just having your iPad stolen is bad enough, then it had "stuff" on it. Yes, I'm a backup believer. And a regular user of Disk Utility.

Maybe those "scraps" will come back to you bit by bit. Take/make notes. And back them up!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We know him as Herman Stiles, but also the creepy Frenchman in "The Green Mile." We called the contestant Mr. Peepers, but he's before most everyone else's time.

If you *really* wanna see creepy - "South of Heaven, West of Hell," a movie by Dwight Yoakam has almost nothing BUT creepy characters, including Michael Jeter. I still don't understand why Yoakam thought that was a story that needed telling - Pee-wee Herman attempts to rape Bridget Fonda. It's just a horrible mess, with Warren Zevon playing a near-mute pal to Billy Bob Thornton. Not even WZ could save the movie for me.

• Surprise 2

For books, I agree with anything by Bill Bryson - he is one of my go to authors for comfort reading - and anything by M.C. Beaton - the Regency books, Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth. Also Rhys Bowen, especially Her Royal Spyness or Molly Murphy series and Laura Childs has several series - my favorite is the tea shop set in Charleston.  Finally I recommend Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand to anyone who hasn't read it  - I cared so much about the darn horse by the end. Have a great trip.

Re: Michael Jeter - he was a wonderful stage performer.  If you can find footage of his performance at the Tony awards from Grand Hotel The Musical, it is to see pure joy in motion and his Tony acceptance speech the same night was grace and gratitude personified.

• Like 2

My view for the next few days, all courtesy of Mr. Abstract's company. I think I'll be officially ruined for ordinary travel after this.

CF39B353-AF3E-4888-9F4C-C688BA188FAA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Surprise 2

Wow, that looks like the Pyramid of Cheops in the background, although I don't think that's on an ocean. My guess is somewhere in the Yucatan or thereabouts? Belize? I don't think that's Lake Michigan/Chicago, although I'd settle for that just to get out of where I am every day.

Tell us more, @Abstract!

Message me if you want to know, I just don't want to say it on a public forum. I've already messaged those who asked.

Edited by Abstract

42 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Message me if you want to know, I just don't want to say it on a public forum. I've already messaged those who asked.

Thanks!

@chessiegal I just finished the woman in the window, that was fantastic! I did manage to figure out one of the big twists about 20 chapters before it was revealed, but the ending was still a big surprise. Thanks for the recommendation.

I also read Cuckoo's Crossing by Robert Galbraith, who is actually J.K. Rowling. Good detective story, I'll probably finish the series at some point.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, Abstract said:

(and she also shed like crazy which never happens, she's the least shedding animal I know!).

I had one who was a drooler at the vet.  Sometimes she would also have 'bowel incontinence' in new situations, including when I took her for a meet and greet with a prospective adopter.  We were fostering her at the time, but that was the day we decided to adopt her ourselves.  

She had a dry eye condition, so had to have eyes cleaned and drops put in twice a day.  I still miss that little girl.  This is her in her Snoopy bed.

268.JPG

• Like 5

@zoey1996 such a cute little girl! Thank you for sharing her picture.

Reading update: I tried the recommendation from @Trey, the first Henry Gamadge book. I can't get into it, though I think it may be because I'm on my phone. Dialogue heavy books tend to be hard to follow on a phone screen. I'll give it another try at home on the iPad. I found that Gregg Hurwitz has published  another Orphan X book, so that was a no-brainer. 

About to start the first Rosato and Associates book now.

• Like 1

@saber5055 Just to let you know...your package is finally in the mail and you should get it on Tuesday. I have a tracking number so let me know if you don’t. 

P.S. You don’t owe me a penny for it. Sorry it took so long. 

• Like 1

@zoey1996, I don’t know which is cuter, the dog or the Snoopy bed. Ah, who am I kidding, it's definitely the dog. The really good ones never leave our hearts, do they?

@Abstract, I’m probably way too late with a book recommendation, but if you still need something, try The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney. That was my last vacation read and it blew me away.  

• Like 3

Hi everyone. I'm sorry I haven't posted a while. James's loss caused me to log in and I wanted to give an update about what's happening with me. My mother got suddenly ill on May 20 and passed away on Memorial Day. It was shocking because we didn't even know she was sick. Apparently she knew but didn't want to burden us.

When I was interviewed by my local station about my show appearance I mentioned that the best part of my experience was having my parents there with me. I didn't know the Jeopardy taping would be my last trip with my mom, who was my best travel buddy. While I'm super sad she's gone, I'm so glad she got to experience the show with me. It was a dream come true for both of us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

12 minutes ago, teebax said:

Hi everyone. I'm sorry I haven't posted a while. James's loss caused me to log in and I wanted to give an update about what's happening with me. My mother got suddenly ill on May 20 and passed away on Memorial Day. It was shocking because we didn't even know she was sick. Apparently she knew but didn't want to burden us.

When I was interviewed by my local station about my show appearance I mentioned that the best part of my experience was having my parents there with me. I didn't know the Jeopardy taping would be my last trip with my mom, who was my best travel buddy. While I'm super sad she's gone, I'm so glad she got to experience the show with me. It was a dream come true for both of us.

My heart goes out to you and my sympathy on the loss of your Mother. I’m so happy that the two of you were able to share the experience of your being on Jeopardy. A hug from me. Purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

• Like 3

I'm so sorry @teebax. I'm glad that you got to share your J experience with her, & I know she was one proud mama sitting in that audience. Wishing you and your family comfort & peace. xo 

• Like 2

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to teebax!  My mom was my best travel buddy, too, in spite of the frequent stops to use the loo. I'm glad you got to have such a GREAT experience with her re J!

• Like 3

Very sorry for your loss teebax.  I'm glad your mom got to see you on Jeopardy!

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, teebax said:

Oh my...I am so sorry to hear this, my condolences to you & your family.  What a wonderful memory you will have of your Mother seeing you compete on "Jeopardy".  Sending prayers & Hugs to teebax

• Like 3

@teebax, my heart felt your message about your Mom. Deeply. I'm so sorry to hear of her quick departure, and so happy for you that your last trip with her is a lifetime memory. Bless you for sharing, and if you welcome cyber hugs, here's a massive one: *O*

• Like 4

@teebax, you have my deepest sympathy. I lost my mother just a few months ago, so I understand what you’re going through. 

I’m sure you have a full cake’s worth of memories to savor, but how great that you got the Jeopardy trip as the icing on top.  Plus, you were able to give her that final gift of seeing you on stage, performing so well...I can’t imagine how proud she must have been. 

• Like 5

I'm so sorry to hear that, @teebax, my condolences to you and your family.  It's great that she was able to share the J! trip with you, and you have those memories with her.

• Like 4

@Teebax, so sorry for your loss.  How wonderful that you were able to share your Jeopardy experience.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 2

I was in the car with the beau last night. His first language is Italian. He also speaks French, German and is learning some Polish. He was calling an inanimate object well. I said no, that the correct usage is good. He told me that I am wrong that my college education means nothing. Am I correct that things are good and people are well? Are there notable exceptions to this rule or is he correct? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was in the car with the beau last night. His first language is Italian. He also speaks French, German and is learning some Polish. He was calling an inanimate object well. I said no, that the correct usage is good. He told me that I am wrong that my college education means nothing. Am I correct that things are good and people are well? Are there notable exceptions to this rule or is he correct? 

You are correct.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/good-well/

• Like 1

Shout-out to @saber5055.  Don’t know if you (or anyone else on this forum) watches The Amazing Race, but I’m a fan.  Wednesday’s episode was in Croatia, and at the mat, Phil and the greeter were accompanied by Dalmatians and Dalmatian puppies.  So cute!  In The Amazing Race forum for the episode, there was discussion about how the breed was over-bred, thanks to the Disney movies.  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was in the car with the beau last night. His first language is Italian. He also speaks French, German and is learning some Polish. He was calling an inanimate object well. I said no, that the correct usage is good.  He told me that I am wrong that my college education means nothing. Am I correct that things are good and people are well? Are there notable exceptions to this rule or is he correct? 

He's being a jerk yet again (assuming same guy), and was wrong in that instance, but a better way of phrasing the general rule is to say "good" goes with nouns (adjective) and "well" goes with verbs (adverb).  The exception with people (nouns) is that "well" is used when talking about their state of being -- "she's well" rather than "she's good" if you ask how someone is doing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1