Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 5/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, Abstract said:

(and she also shed like crazy which never happens, she's the least shedding animal I know!).

I had one who was a drooler at the vet.  Sometimes she would also have 'bowel incontinence' in new situations, including when I took her for a meet and greet with a prospective adopter.  We were fostering her at the time, but that was the day we decided to adopt her ourselves.  

She had a dry eye condition, so had to have eyes cleaned and drops put in twice a day.  I still miss that little girl.  This is her in her Snoopy bed.

268.JPG

• Love 5

@zoey1996, I don’t know which is cuter, the dog or the Snoopy bed. Ah, who am I kidding, it's definitely the dog. The really good ones never leave our hearts, do they?

@Abstract, I’m probably way too late with a book recommendation, but if you still need something, try The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney. That was my last vacation read and it blew me away.  

• Love 3

Hi everyone. I'm sorry I haven't posted a while. James's loss caused me to log in and I wanted to give an update about what's happening with me. My mother got suddenly ill on May 20 and passed away on Memorial Day. It was shocking because we didn't even know she was sick. Apparently she knew but didn't want to burden us.

When I was interviewed by my local station about my show appearance I mentioned that the best part of my experience was having my parents there with me. I didn't know the Jeopardy taping would be my last trip with my mom, who was my best travel buddy. While I'm super sad she's gone, I'm so glad she got to experience the show with me. It was a dream come true for both of us.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, teebax said:

Hi everyone. I'm sorry I haven't posted a while. James's loss caused me to log in and I wanted to give an update about what's happening with me. My mother got suddenly ill on May 20 and passed away on Memorial Day. It was shocking because we didn't even know she was sick. Apparently she knew but didn't want to burden us.

When I was interviewed by my local station about my show appearance I mentioned that the best part of my experience was having my parents there with me. I didn't know the Jeopardy taping would be my last trip with my mom, who was my best travel buddy. While I'm super sad she's gone, I'm so glad she got to experience the show with me. It was a dream come true for both of us.

My heart goes out to you and my sympathy on the loss of your Mother. I’m so happy that the two of you were able to share the experience of your being on Jeopardy. A hug from me. Purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, teebax said:

Oh my...I am so sorry to hear this, my condolences to you & your family.  What a wonderful memory you will have of your Mother seeing you compete on "Jeopardy".  Sending prayers & Hugs to teebax

• Love 3

@teebax, my heart felt your message about your Mom. Deeply. I'm so sorry to hear of her quick departure, and so happy for you that your last trip with her is a lifetime memory. Bless you for sharing, and if you welcome cyber hugs, here's a massive one: *O*

• Love 4

@teebax, you have my deepest sympathy. I lost my mother just a few months ago, so I understand what you’re going through. 

I’m sure you have a full cake’s worth of memories to savor, but how great that you got the Jeopardy trip as the icing on top.  Plus, you were able to give her that final gift of seeing you on stage, performing so well...I can’t imagine how proud she must have been. 

• Love 5

I was in the car with the beau last night. His first language is Italian. He also speaks French, German and is learning some Polish. He was calling an inanimate object well. I said no, that the correct usage is good. He told me that I am wrong that my college education means nothing. Am I correct that things are good and people are well? Are there notable exceptions to this rule or is he correct? 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was in the car with the beau last night. His first language is Italian. He also speaks French, German and is learning some Polish. He was calling an inanimate object well. I said no, that the correct usage is good. He told me that I am wrong that my college education means nothing. Am I correct that things are good and people are well? Are there notable exceptions to this rule or is he correct? 

You are correct.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/good-well/

• Love 1
(edited)

Shout-out to @saber5055.  Don’t know if you (or anyone else on this forum) watches The Amazing Race, but I’m a fan.  Wednesday’s episode was in Croatia, and at the mat, Phil and the greeter were accompanied by Dalmatians and Dalmatian puppies.  So cute!  In The Amazing Race forum for the episode, there was discussion about how the breed was over-bred, thanks to the Disney movies.  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was in the car with the beau last night. His first language is Italian. He also speaks French, German and is learning some Polish. He was calling an inanimate object well. I said no, that the correct usage is good.  He told me that I am wrong that my college education means nothing. Am I correct that things are good and people are well? Are there notable exceptions to this rule or is he correct? 

He's being a jerk yet again (assuming same guy), and was wrong in that instance, but a better way of phrasing the general rule is to say "good" goes with nouns (adjective) and "well" goes with verbs (adverb).  The exception with people (nouns) is that "well" is used when talking about their state of being -- "she's well" rather than "she's good" if you ask how someone is doing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Abstract said:

I am officially going to Trivia Nationals in August. My goals: 1. Not to be a dunce in the competitions, especially the games where I'll have teammates. 2. To keep a poker face and hide my fangirliness if I run across any Jeopardy celebs. This is their natural habitat and they expect to be left alone. 

How exciting!  Good Luck to you!

I’ve been in England for a week now.  Missing my Jeopardy! but keeping up with FJ.  Had a pretty good week.

My DD, son-in-law, and granddaughter live in Bournemouth.  We had a couple of really hot days, but today is nicer. Wanted to go to Kew Gardens yesterday, but it was much too hot.  We have tickets booked for the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace before I go home.  I’ll be here a couple of more weeks.  

• Love 7

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip @zoey1996 & seeing your family. I had heard about the unseasonably hot temps in Europe. Dr Toothbrush & I were saying last night that we think the miniToothbrushes are old enough to where maybe next summer an extended trip to the UK will be feasible (we lost our minds in 2011 & travelled to Ireland with 3 kiddos under the age of 5 - I don't recommend it  lol). Enjoy Buckingham Place - are you gong to see the new Victoria/Albert exhibit there? Give the queen my regards! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Enjoy Buckingham Place - are you gong to see the new Victoria/Albert exhibit there? Give the queen my regards! 

I’m sure we will enjoy the visit. Yes, we plan to see the Victoria and Albert exhibit.  I’ve heard it’s so well done!  If we get the chance we’ll do the royal wave to her.

Zoey1996- enjoy your British time.  Too much wonderful stuff to see and not enough hours in the day.

Abstract- have fun at Trivia Nationals.  It sounds way cool.  

I am not traveling this summer but will be cruising to Bermuda in early October  - can't wait.  Favorite summer activities are hitting farmers markets (Michigan has some great ones) and watching historic Base Ball at Greenfield Village- my moments of Zen for the week.

Have a wonderful summer everyone!

• Love 5
On 7/30/2019 at 12:50 AM, Grundoon59 said:

Zoey1996- enjoy your British time.  Too much wonderful stuff to see and not enough hours in the day.

... and watching historic Base Ball at Greenfield Village- my moments of Zen for the week.

Have a wonderful summer everyone!

Thanks!  Enjoying my time here with family.  Yesterday we took a train into London and toured the State rooms at Buckingham Palace.  So amazing!  But a long, exhausting day.  Just resting today!

I too love old time Base Ball.  I know I’ve seen games in Wichita at Old Cow Town, and in Iowa at their living history museum near Des Moines.  Possibly elsewhere too, though I can’t recall just now.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

• Love 4

I picked the right year to go to a trivia conference. Trivia Nationals is technically new. The previous event somehow fell apart (I'm not privy to the details, but apparently there were financial difficulties), and some other trivia fans stepped up to create this conference. They have done a magnificent job and I think actually sold out. I know the room block at the hotel sold out and they had to request more rooms, so it's been a success financially. 

Having the Jeopardy people here was a huge draw. Where else can you go and just rub elbows casually with Maggie Speak and all her crew? They've been here the whole time, playing games, talking to people (within limits, they can't spend too much time with any one person or have dinner with potential contestants or something). Even one of the writers was present and on the Jeopardy discussion panel. 

The conference itself has been run really well. The schedules are easy to follow. The games are well organized. Everyone is positive and encouraging. The trivia is HARD, so if you watch Jeopardy and think it's too easy, this is the place for you.

I can't really tell stories about my experience without giving self-identifying details. I've met more Jeopardy players than I can count, and I don't know who reads here. I can say that I played Quiz Bowl, Trash Bowl (pop culture QB), 5x5 (a similar-to-Jeopardy game), Learned League Live, Smarty Pants, and Pairs Quiz. All of them were really fun, and with the exception of 5x5, much more difficult questions than you see on Jeopardy each day.

Despite the convention being in Vegas, James Holzhauer is not in attendance. Several Jeopardy All-Stars are here. They are all really nice people, no divas or jerks. 

• Love 10

I am really missing talking with the J! posters several times a week.  I recorded a number of shows I regularly watch while I was away.  I'm catching up, but I don't want to read on the forums of the shows I watch because I'm enough behind, and try to avoid spoilers.  Pity party, I guess! 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Have y'all noticed the banner at the top saying scheduled maintenance will be on Monday? We won't be able to discuss J!'s return. Boo Hiss.

It's meant to be at 6am Monday, so fingers crossed it'll be finished by J! time!

• Love 3

I am baffled as to why Bow season deer hunting in Maryland is Archery season. Google has not provided any insight. We have a neighbor who hunts deer with a bow (says a gun is not sporting). He hasn't bought meat or fish for years. His freezer is full of what he's hunted. Next time I see him I'll ask him - born and raised in our area.

I was wondering if it has to do with Maryland being an old territory and state, but haven't unearthed anything.

27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I am baffled as to why Bow season deer hunting in Maryland is Archery season.

Under risk of unleashing the Archery Poltergeist, I have discovered that bow season in Illinois is also called Archery Season and starts Oct. 1 so I'll be seeing some archery boys on my road in a couple weeks. In Wisconsin, where businesses shut down for the season, "Archery and Crossbow" season started yesterday. So it's not just Maryland, it's Archery Season everywhere. Except in my brain, obviously. Don't have a clue why Maryland was singled out by the J writers.

I'd like to do a Take Back on my archery nit pick in hope of appeasing the Archery Gods before it's too late.

20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Under risk of unleashing the Archery Poltergeist, I have discovered that bow season in Illinois is also called Archery Season and starts Oct. 1 so I'll be seeing some archery boys on my road in a couple weeks. In Wisconsin, where businesses shut down for the season, "Archery and Crossbow" season started yesterday. So it's not just Maryland, it's Archery Season everywhere. Except in my brain, obviously. Don't have a clue why Maryland was singled out by the J writers.

I'd like to do a Take Back on my archery nit pick in hope of appeasing the Archery Gods before it's too late.

Thanks. I'll stop banging my head on that wall. Which makes the singling out of Maryland even more curious.

• Love 1

Re: Mercurochrome. I don't recall us ever having iodine in the medicine cabinet - it was always mercurochrome, until they invented Bactine. My mom ditched the red stuff & it was Bactine forever after.

But it's hard for me to forget the color. In high school, I had some Latina friends who absolutely couldn't stand my white-girl, stick-straight, baby-fine, blonde hair and *always* wanted to do something about it. During the summer, about a week before school resumed, Linda decided I needed red hair. We got some of that shampoo-in, shampoo-out stuff at Woolworth's and proceeded...to turn half my hair a lovely strawberry blonde and the other half the shade of mercurochrome.

Shampoo-out, my ass. It took 11 lather/rinses to tame down the mercurochrome-iness of the color. I lost count after that until it returned to its normal color.

• LOL 7
On 9/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

We got some of that shampoo-in, shampoo-out stuff at Woolworth's and proceeded...to turn half my hair a lovely strawberry blonde and the other half the shade of mercurochrome.

You would be quite the trendy person if you had mercurochrome-red hair these days. Or, half mercurochrome red, half grape-juice purple. With green tips.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Apologies for the sideways-ness of the photos. Was showing some friends from out of town around Olvera Street in LA over the weekend, and saw something that made me chuckle. 

BB6CCD9D-1548-4EDB-B34E-9ECE26DE80EF.jpeg

F708B3A6-FADF-49EB-9C74-E5C3C169F1AE.jpeg

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Scott said:

Was showing some friends from out of town around Olvera Street in LA over the weekend, and saw something that made me chuckle. 

An amazing find! Now we need to know what Kit's connection to that street and to LA is!

• Love 2