Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Westminster Dog Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From the New York Daily News: Three breeds to debut at Westminster this year.

I don't know how I can watch this in two weeks. Not like anything offensive is going on, but this runs smack into my viewing habits. I can DVR Supergirl and Timeless on Monday . . . but Tuesday? *deep breath* The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Agents of SHIELD, The Challenge and Tosh.0 (which I kinda hate myself for watching). Oh, and The Mick, even though I've been DVRing the hell out of that but haven't made time to watch. Even if a Poodle or a Pekingese (pug + fur coat) wins, it's still fun to see dogs.

Starting this year, I think, it's airing (the whole thing) on the FS1 cable network instead of the USA/CNBC combo as in the past. Just an FYI. And I'm rooting for the Yorkshire Terrier.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That sucks. I mean, I know I have Fox Sports 1, but it would be nice if USA puts off wrestling for a week for the dogs.

The WWE, or whatever, coverage isn't why they changed networks. It was time to renegotiate the broadcast contract & Fox Sports 1 won this time. I think they have the broadcast rights for the next 10 years, & I'm 99.9% sure I remember them mentioning the change during last year's show.

Here's the press release, which is actually from 2015 (almost 2 years ago now), announcing the change in broadcast networks.

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latestnews/2015/07/28/fox-sports-reaches-agreement-with-westminster-kennel-club-to-bri

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link.

I liked the lady backstage, "interviewing" the "new" Spanish Water Dog. He's got dreadlocks like a Puli! And he smacked her in the face with his nose.

Checking out Non-Sporting now. I like peppy dogs bordering on unruly, and the lady falling down entering the stage. Bad news: another son of Malachy the Peke made it to the final. I think that breed looks better with less hair. And they're so slow. It might be better if the handler carts them around on a wagon instead of making them walk.

• Love 3

the camera work leaves a whole lot to be desired, worse than ever.  We didn't need constant coverage of the Pom and Peke, I wanted to see the pug.

And why aren't they showing the registered names and only giving us the kennel names?

I very much miss David Frei too. 

Edited by Linderhill

I agree.  These announcers stink.

Did not see much of the pug, which is my favorite.  And he came in 2nd.  Rats.  The way they style Pekes is dreadful.  They look like walking mops with eyes.  They look so sad.  When you see Pekes with a little less hair/fur, they are so cute.  I feel so bad for them, plus it has to be awful to try and walk, and they can't even begin to run or play like a regular dog. 

Then one of the announcers had to do a recap of the winners thus far.  Yes, I remember - two.  The Norwegian Elkhound and the Peke.  I guess maybe if you'd just tuned in, you would want to know, but it was almost immediately after the Toy Group had completed.  It just seemed kind of silly.  The whole broadcast feels like the 2nd or 3rd string was brought in this year.  Fox Sports, you need to ramp up your game, because this isn't cutting it for me.

• Love 3

Has FS1 been pimping the Daytona 500 all night? It might be more fun if they put small dogs in go-karts and have them take a few laps.

Not a fan of the Poodle standards. I get that the puffs protect the joints when they get into the water to fetch game . . . but when was the last time you saw a hunter toting a poodle?

ETA: Of course the miniature poodle takes Non-Sporting. Hideous. The Frenchie was cute, and "Tugger" is a very nice name for a dog.

• Love 1

Not a fan of the Poodle standards. I get that the puffs protect the joints when they get into the water to fetch game . . . but when was the last time you saw a hunter toting a poodle?

Seems that, as usual, the poodle takes it. Seriously, be creative. The poodle can't always win! (I know I'm exaggerating). Love the French Bulldog. At least the mini-poodle didn't win, but the Peke is usually second.

Didn't realize this was on FS1. Not happy. And the music?? Don't get me started. The new announcers are annoying. No David Frei or Mary Carillo, although Mary was on the Kitten Bowl. 

ETA: It's also on Nat Geo during the day.

Edited by isiscloud
updated information.

I have to get to the city around 8 a.m. tomorrow. That means I have to get up before 5:30. I should have been in bed about an hour ago, but I wanted to see the rest of Day One. Bottom line: You had one job, Fox Sports 1! ONE!!! Seriously, I hope it rains for a week in Daytona, and the big race is canceled.

ETA: For anybody confused . . . the show ran past 11, which never happens. I'm good with NBC Universal taking the show back and putting it on CNBC.

• Love 6

I saw that it ran over and was very annoyed with it. If they'd cut back on some of the idiotic breaks and bloated commercial breaks they would have finished at 11 like they should have. I switched to over to "Timeless" a couple of times and the commercials were still rolling. And did the announcer woman have to tell us every time that the other group participants would "now go and congratulate the winner"? sheesh, then cue the camera covering various sized buttocks of the the handlers, barely a dog to see.

• Love 2

I do like the segments with the judges explaining what they are looking for. I know nothing about dog breeds; I just come for the cute. The announcers are annoying, especially the backstage social media expert. I really don't care what your mother tweeted. I would be happier just listening to the in venue announcer. I learn a lot from him.

• Love 1

I always liked that they would show the dogs registered name and the name and location of the kennel. One year it there was a Sealyham terrier from the town my sister lives in. Small world. Since I suppose we're stuck with them for the next 10 years, Fox Sports has a lot to do to improve their coverage. And yes, the so-called social media expert is a complete waste. I don't care either about what your mother posted, heck, I don't care what anyone posted but since she alluded to them posting people's photos of their dogs, why haven't they shown them?

Horrible coverage. Even though I knew he was leaving, I miss David Frei.  Plus it ran over and our PVR cut off so I had to check that the German Shepherd won his group. Again.

So far rooting for the Elkhound, because I like seeing different breeds win. We have 2 Springer Spaniels, so looking forward to seeing them tonight (because I'm in Canada and can't watch the best of breed online.. )

I was watching some of the Best In Breed this early afternoon and had a 'moment' - a youngish handler for one of the Berenese Mountain Dogs won something and she was happy crying and hugging the pooch - I am not sure what the story is but I got some cat hair in my eye as well, it was touching.  

I'd give anything for a different breed to win BIS tonight, not the same ole same ole.  

The camera angles are bad.  I understand that they want to focus on the dog, but do you really just want to look at a bunch of asses and comfortable shoes?  NOT ME!  Pull that camera back so we can see the human attached to that lead.  PLEASE!

I miss David! 

• Love 1

They put the registration names on tonight. Maybe they're reading our comments! 

I was going to post this earlier but my computer was being weird.  They must be reading our comments.  The coverage does seem to be going a bit better tonight.  If only they could get rid of the stupid media chick.  Unnecessary, unneeded fluff.  Although it does seem that they aren't going to her very much.

• Love 2

Took off for dinner. My cousin and her husband have a small hyper dog, and I'm thinking he's part Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Here's the breed information from AKC with pictures. And here's Ollie at Thanksgiving and Christmas. He's not as big, but the coloring and markings are on point. The funny part is that my mother agrees with me, and I'm usually the loose cannon in terms of opinions. What do you think?

ETA: I think we're heading for overtime. Again. Out of curiosity: would it be a bad thing if NBC were to run a condensed two-hour episode every Presidents Day? John O'Hurley would be welcomed at this point. Shit, so would Fred Willard doing his Best In Show character.

• Love 1

Oh please Fox Sports, get some announcers or hosts next year that are fun and knowledgeable - you know, David Frei maybe?  I don't know who the one woman is but I've picked up her being testy to the male announcer host when he's fumbled, and she's no better.  Get rid of them both.  

Oh boy...anybody but the poodle please.  My apologies to the poodle lovers out there, I know they can be sweeties and very loyal pets, just not a fan.  That little Norwich has some giddyup to his step, and the Elkhound is still my pick to win, which means he won't.  Oh well, maybe if I invest enough years I'll get to see my Neo Mastiff make it to the final judging for BIS.  Hope springs eternal!

I pretty much hope its any one of them except the Peke and the terrier and the poodle.  Nothing against any of them except that all three have won way too many times. 

I agree about the woman, she seems knowledgeable but not nearly practiced enough. Very awkward way of speaking. 

Glad Rumor the German Shepherd dog won.  Not a fan of the poodle (the way they style them - you know the other dogs laugh at them, poor things), nor the Peke with the hair, hair, and more hair.

Any of the other dogs winning would be fine with me, too.  The little Norwich Terrier was sure cute.  Beautiful dogs all.

The announcers - yeah they stunk.  The camera angles were bad - one time they were behind the table and you couldn't see the dog. 

• Love 2

Had to get up even earlier this morning. Defrosted a bagel and plopped down to watch the After Show block on DVR, with 15 minutes added on. And Rumor didn't get the win until 11:44. You suck, Fox Sports 1. Really. Next year, I'd better see you plugging this show every half hour at the NFC title game like you were pimping Daytona. Fair is fair.

Malachy's son is named Chuckie. Of course. And the poor bastard had to be carried onto the floor.

Not crazy about rewarding what German Shepherds have become in the last 25 years.  That is not a functional body. Pretty dog, but hardly capable of doing the work it was meant to do.

Camera work definitely needs improvement  next year-- don't really want to look and handlers' calves all night.

And speaking of all night, that's just how long they'd have been there if the Peke wasn't carried in.  Though Anne Rogers Clark, one of the great women of the sport as a breeder, handler and judge, was known to snarl "put your DOG on the FLOOR" at any handler daring to carry a toy dog into her ring.  She may not have made an exception at the Garden!

Is it that bad? I follow Bulldogs English and French, breeds can be described as "a huge pile of recessive genes covered in fur."

Daytona 500 is next weekend? Arrrrrgh. What's the A-level promotion: kid playing the pseudo-Joker on Gotham doing a few laps in a Jokermobile?

I did like the female commentator's voice; it was modulated and lovely, but boy, she needed more practice.  And that guy...oy veh.  If I had to hear him talk about the "bait...or dog treats" one more time, I was going to scream.  Listen, I get it.  You've got three hours to fill and you don't know anything about dogs, except that book you skimmed regarding presidential dogs, but unless you bring the comedy like Fred Willard, shut the hell up about the damn "bait!"  I get that you just learned it and you're committing it to memory, but geez.

So next year, Fox Sports:  tighten that show up!  I don't need to see photos of viewers' dogs; I have a FB page and all my friends have dogs.  I haven't been awake at 23:45 on a weeknight since I worked third shift five years ago and I kept falling asleep and missing whole groups.  Work on your camera angles.  I don't need to see fat calves and butts, which are not nearly as cute as the doggies.  It also would be nice to see the handlers' names, although I know that hasn't been done in the past.  When I see a particularly interesting outfit, I want to know who that freak is.

• Love 1

A friend at work is going to Daytona next week...he's OK.

But too bad none of the handlers had heads. WTH is that? The coverage just seemed cheap. The graphics, music, everything. USA/Universal's coverage made it seem like it the prestigious event it is rather than than some fly-by-night dog walking show. Obviously they've had more time to perfect it, but I guess WestMINSTER didn't give FS1 the graphics package needed? 

Yes, I've had issue with the way GS are bred with the sloping hips. Sometimes it's like why do they bother have any of the other dogs in the group there if the judge is just going to pick his/her specialty (or the poodle). Yes, they their dogs more, but at this level they're ALL excellent!

Edited by isiscloud
punctuation matters
  • Love 2