Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Westminster Dog Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love the big dogs like the St. Bernard, but they never seem to win.  Sigh!  I was rooting for the Samoyed too.  I have a neighbor who has one and it looks just like Striker.  She walks her everyday, and if I'm outside, the owner lets me pet her.  She's a very "chatty" dog and likes people.  They're a really beautiful breed. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I love the big dogs like the St. Bernard, but they never seem to win.  Sigh!  I was rooting for the Samoyed too.  I have a neighbor who has one and it looks just like Striker.  She walks her everyday, and if I'm outside, the owner lets me pet her.  She's a very "chatty" dog and likes people.  They're a really beautiful breed. 

Yes they are. I have owned 2 of them. Very smart and very friendly.

• Love 2

I was hoping any dog but the Peke would win.   Unfortunately, I guessed it would be the Peke.   

I loved the Whippet, and the fact she had five puppies three months ago.    I'm glad the Frenchie didn't win though, the sudden increase in popularity after a Westminster win would be another bad thing for the breed popularity.       

• Love 3
On 6/14/2021 at 7:49 PM, ChitChat said:

I remember when Josh the Newfoundland won Best in Show years ago. He let out multiple deep booming barks and then drank water from the trophy cup. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Bumping. Breed judging is on FS2 now. Group judging will be held on Tuesday and Thursday Wednesday. Not sure why things changed from Monday/Tuesday. I’m thinking because today is a holiday, or maybe it’s a pandemic th8ng.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

My guide has the groups being judged Tuesday and Wednesday on FS1. 

Fuck, I knew it was Wednesday. I dunno what happened. But yeah . . . breed judging today, tomorrow and Wednesday, Groups tomorrow and Wednesday.

• Love 1

Had some of the breed judging online today and it's interesting watching without any commentary.  I don't think he won his breed but there was a short haired all black weiner dog, and he was a cutie.  Didn't know they came in all black, I've only seen the brown/black or brown variety.   

I like Winston. Like a lightly toasted marshmallow.

Two Pugdashians competed for Best in Breed, and they came up short. Here they are in action.

3 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

I'm sorry poodle lovers...but I'm really happy there isn't one in the final this year.

Yeah, a Maltese might look "a bit much," but they're decent compared to Poodle breed standards. No Pekes either, though I'm betting Wasabi is probably siring a ton of hairy puppies right now.

• Love 1

Trumpet gets the win. I'm good with that. Gotta love the facial folds bobbing up and down when he runs.

Winston seems okay with runner-up. He knows he'll be getting treats and belly rubs anyway.

22 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Well, no Neo Mastiff again, but really I like this final group. 

That one had the unusual markings right? Gotta love a dog whose jowls can hide mid-sized dogs.

• Love 1

I didn’t watch the show last year, but I’m wondering how they like this location for the show versus Madison Square Garden.  It’s intimate, probably better for the dogs and better for TV visuals (at least better lit). On the other hand, it loses a lot of the sense of being a big event. Could they stay at Lyndhurst next year?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Took me a while to find the thread.

I'm not watching-watching. I'm happy Winston the French Bulldog is back for Best In Show consideration. Of course, a Pekingese is in the hunt. Why does the breed standard have to be so unkempt?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

. . .  the Pekingese, that poor pooch looks like Roomba with a bad wig.

I go with “pug in a fur coat.” If they were any slower, they’d run backwards.

I wanted Winston to win . . . but Buddy Holly seems cool.

• Like 1
(edited)

Just caught some of this on YT. I thought the Giant Schnauzer was beautiful, but of course I'm not there in person to see (and "inspect") these dogs...

As I watched some of the group judging videos, I was thinking about the expanded number of official breeds we have these days, compared to when I was growing up. 

With so many breeds now in each group, including newer or less-seen breeds, and so many outstanding dogs, I have to believe that more bias than previously seen will creep in, based on the judge's true knowledge of each breed and his/her personal preference/favoritism. 

So when I watched Best in Show, I wondered how much the PBGV was really "better" than some of its competitors in that ring. In this sense, it's like the Oscars; many different genres, all equally top-notch, but there's some bias in the selection of the Best Movie winner.

Edited by adhoc
  • Like 1