Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Westminster Dog Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Standard Poodle wins, Whippet gets Best Reserve, and the judge is probably gonna get jumped by Daniel's legion of new fans.

Wouldn't we like Poodles better if they had a less-antiquated standard for appearance?

• Love 6

well, at least it wasn't the blasted wire fox terrier, I'm completely over that breed here.  I was rooting for Wilma the boxer but would have accepted Daniel since Goldens have never won.  I do admit the poodle was outstanding and at least it wasn't a toy or mini and she's a black standard poodle.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wouldn't we like Poodles better if they had a less-antiquated standard for appearance?

If I ruled the dog show world, I would outlaw combs and brushes and bows in the ring.  Treats are fine (who's a good dog!).  But I get so irritated when the handlers keep whipping out the combs in the middle of judging!  

I would also outlaw ear cropping, tail docking, and stupid haircuts.  The dogs should look like they look.  No adding anything, no taking away anything.  Standard poodles are beautiful dogs but that continental clip looks utterly ridiculous and claiming that it's actually practical because it keeps the dogs joints warm is stupid.  Like the incredibly top-heavy clip wouldn't drag the dog's head underwater!  Let the human interference stuff go and let's celebrate the actual dogs.

I was so glad to see a Golden win the Sporting group.  He was absolutely gorgeous!

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Frost said:

would also outlaw ear cropping, tail docking

Haven’t those procedures been outlawed in the U.K.?  Maybe all of Europe?  I would say it is past time for those procedures to be outlawed in the U.S. -  I mean by criminal law, not just in the show world.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I know I would !!!!!! Hate all those pom-poms and poof.  tw5xUk4.jpg At least these two won't be laughed at at the dog park !

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Day2Day said:

I know I would !!!!!! Hate all those pom-poms and poof.  tw5xUk4.jpg At least these two won't be laughed at at the dog park !

THIS. I would totally be behind a poodle that looked like this. The poof ball cut makes me root against them every freaking year. I remember one year, the Standard Poodle AND the Toy Poodle both won their Groups and I spent Best In Show clenching my teeth and hoping they'd lose. 

I would have been behind Daniel, Wilma, or Conrad.  Or Bono. So disappointing. Vinny was cute, but a Fox Terrier wins just as often as a Poodle does. I'm sure Siba is a nice puff ball, but....no.

12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Huge ovation for Daniel. Of course, it's a dog show, so most of the crowd will be happy with the winner. Not like a judge has ever gotten booed for choosing Best in Show.

Whispers....I heard booing last night.

• Love 1
On 2/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, Frost said:

I can't believe they don't have a back up judge!  It seems ridiculous to deny the Schipperke the opportunity to compete for Best in Show because of some relationship between his/her owner and the judge.  

It's one of the chances you take.  Winning the breed at Westminster is still worth competing for, even if you know you can't go further than that.  

• Love 1

To paraphrase the announcer last night, let's talk about this: Irish Water Spaniel doesn't like the judge.  I love the moment toward the end of the clip when the spaniel walks by the dachshund and the dachshund is like, "Sorry dude, could have been me."  My dachshund would snap at anyone who even thought about looking at her teeth.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

To paraphrase the announcer last night, let's talk about this: Irish Water Spaniel doesn't like the judge.  I love the moment toward the end of the clip when the spaniel walks by the dachshund and the dachshund is like, "Sorry dude, could have been me."  My dachshund would snap at anyone who even thought about looking at her teeth.

Anyone have flashbacks to Best In Show? Beatrice the Weimaraner going after the judge and being disqualified?

• LOL 8
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I love the moment toward the end of the clip when the spaniel walks by the dachshund and the dachshund is like, "Sorry dude, could have been me." 

I think that was a Sussex Spaniel.  The dachshund was in a the Hound group.  

All I could think at the time was, I hope nobody gets mad at that dog behind the scenes!

• Useful 2
On 2/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, Frost said:

I would also outlaw ear cropping, tail docking, and stupid haircuts.  The dogs should look like they look.  No adding anything, no taking away anything.  Standard poodles are beautiful dogs but that continental clip looks utterly ridiculous and claiming that it's actually practical because it keeps the dogs joints warm is stupid.  Like the incredibly top-heavy clip wouldn't drag the dog's head underwater!  Let the human interference stuff go and let's celebrate the actual dogs.

I can't "like" this comment because I LOVE IT. LOVE IT. Thank you.

• Love 1

When I was growing up, we had a brown poodle named Dino.  He was a doggy daredevil who lived to be 16 years old.  He jumped off a bridge, got hit by a Volkswagon, and was knocked unconscious by a piece of fire wood my dad was collecting on the beach.  Because he could escape from our six-foot fence, he was a dog on the loose in our neighborhood and probably fathered any number of labradoodles before they were an expensive designer dog.  Every spring the organic farmer in the neighborhood had a visit from Dino who rolled in manure and ran home to show off his seasonal perfume.  He was the antithesis of fussy dog show poodles.  I loved the silly thing, but he was totally my dad's dog.  

• Love 3
On 2/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, JudyObscure said:

To paraphrase the announcer last night, let's talk about this: Irish Water Spaniel doesn't like the judge.  

You never know what's going to spook a dog, especially a young one, especially in a high intensity venue like that. Sometimes it's a judge wearing a weird hat. I remember one poor judge who was quite elderly and extremely unsteady and dog after dog was visibly uncomfortable being examined (and so was the audience, hoping he'd get through it without keeling over). He got to my girl and as he bent to look at her she just looked up and slurped his face. And we won.

Also saw a dog bite a judge, but it turned out the poor thing had an abscessed tooth so the judge made sure to note it so the excuse wouldn't count as viciousness.

• LOL 1

It's that time again!  I'm watching some of the best in breed judging online now,  they have various areas set up outside.  Just hope it's not too hot out for the dogs.

Please don't let a poodle win this year.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Soooooo disappointed that they aren't airing Westminster as they have in the past. Without the xtras on my cable feed, I am only able to see what FOX is showing. The agility event was on last night,  and left a lot to be desired.  Miss the 'old' format and usual reporters. 

• Love 1

Who else thinks the female commentator looks like she should be appearing in some cheap Vegas dive as a magician’s assistant?  Too much glitter, long extensions, and too-short dress.  
Like you, @bosawks, I am dreading the possibility of the Peke winning. Of the 4winners from last night, love the Frenchie!

• Love 6

LOVE the Goldens.  Their faces are too adorable. Lost ours two years ago. 

Anyone know who the hooker-looking woman is that does the interviews?  Lordy, between the awful dress and the pole dancer shoes, combined with the bad fake tan on her legs, she’s just was walking fashion don’t. 

• Love 3

I have a very dumb question for our dog lovers out there...and apologize beforehand that's a dim one.

Now they break out the categories for spaniels, to a full color, and tri color, and I think two color - but they don't do that for other breeds.  When I was watching the great danes this afternoon there were a bunch of fawn colored ones, and then I noticed one that was sooooo gorgeous, a black and white moo cow spotted beauty.  Why do they break out colors in some breeds and not all?

Damn. It. Why does the main judge almost always veers to the dog with the fugly breed standard? I'm sure Wasabi is a nice dog and would look great with a decent cut, but look at Wasabi . . . could you tell which end was which is you didn't know already?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Damn. It. Why does the main judge almost always veers to the dog with the fugly breed standard? I'm sure Wasabi is a nice dog and would look great with a decent cut, but look at Wasabi . . . could you tell which end was which is you didn't know already?

My Mom and I were watching and we wanted to turn the Peke over and see if there were really legs under there instead of just wheels.  It looks like an animated puff ball.  I was pulling for the whippet because I live next door to one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

As soon as I realized there was no poodle in the finals, I knew the Peke would win.  I think the judges just pick the most esoteric dog to win so they can say that we “regular folks” aren’t knowledgeable enough to pick the “right” dog.  Like when some snooty movie critic rants about how the rest of us are too simple to understand “good” movies.

• Love 4