Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Westminster Dog Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't believe they don't have a back up judge!  It seems ridiculous to deny the Schipperke the opportunity to compete for Best in Show because of some relationship between his/her owner and the judge.  I'm also bummed about the Clumber Spaniel.  They're one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, bosawks said:

ETA: Schipperke owner drama, it feels like a SNL sketch.....

What drama?

On 2/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, bosawks said:

C’mon, say it with me people!

Chessie! Chessie! Chessie!

No?  Sigh......

7A1BCFA2-4A5F-4947-B560-5FEFFAE1BC8A.jpeg

Disappointed again? Sorry. But dang, Bean the Sussex is a cutie.

• Love 2

And for the 143rd year in a row the Chessie was robbed!

Robbed I say!

Apparently, from what I gather part of the schipperke ownership group has an affiliation with the best in show judge and is therefore ineligible to win.

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Apparently, from what I gather part of the schipperke ownership group has an affiliation with the best in show judge and is therefore ineligible to win.

Same with the Clumber Spaniel and one or two other breeds.  You'd think the show could come up with some way to handle this without DQing the dog.  I guess the dog show world is so insular that a large percent of the owners/handlers/judges are all related.

• Love 2

If I were the Cane Corso owner I'd be royally pissed that my dog missed out on its spotlight because Fox can't handle timing.  fooey.  Disappointed that the Schipperke was DQ.  Also disappointed that yet another wire fox terrier one Group.  I always root for the smooth terriers.  To me those clips that they use on the wired breeds look like they would cover a multitude of sins.  I know that's why the judges feel, stroke, etc. just like with the extreme cuts on the poodles and Portuguese Water Dog, Lowchen, etc.  Heck, I was disappointed that smooth collie didn't win the Herding group.  Talk about a little known breed.

• Love 2

I'm guessing the outcome wasn't ideal. My mother was pulling for the fuzzy weiner. I thought Bean would get it. The winner seems nice, and he looks like a dog (how many Pekingese have won?), but it's . . . meh. I think it's cute that a dog named "King" would have a crown on its face.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Linderhill said:

What's his face, the Fox guy was obviously lost with his color commentating. 

Chris Meyers.  He usually does NASCAR on Fox.  He knows a little more about that than he does dogs, but he's still pretty bland most of the time.

My husband and I watch the show every year, but this was the first year since we had to put down our Chocolate Lab last September.  Not gonna lie- I teared up a few times.  😞

The terrier...meh, whatever.  I thought the daschund was going to take it.  I don't care for them, but that was a NICE looking dog.  And the Siberian Husky was totally robbed in the Working Group.  

• Love 2

I wanted pretty much any dog BUT the terrier to win.  No offense to the dog, of course. It's just so boring and predictable. I was especially rooting for the Sussex or the Daschund. 

Edited by Frost
spelling
  • Love 5

Well, despite my love of the terriers, I also was rooting for anyone but the terrier. The dachshund really tugged at my heart as did the Havenese. Speaking of the Havenese, would somebody be kind enough to explain to me just what a reserve best in show is?i know its been around for a while but I.never paid attention to it. TIA

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing the outcome wasn't ideal. My mother was pulling for the fuzzy weiner. I thought Bean would get it. The winner seems nice, and he looks like a dog (how many Pekingese have won?), but it's . . . meh. I think it's cute that a dog named "King" would have a crown on its face.

A crown?  Do you have a photo or link where it shows? 

11 hours ago, 88Keys said:

Chris Meyers.  He usually does NASCAR on Fox.  He knows a little more about that than he does dogs, but he's still pretty bland most of the time.

My husband and I watch the show every year, but this was the first year since we had to put down our Chocolate Lab last September.  Not gonna lie- I teared up a few times.  😞

The terrier...meh, whatever.  I thought the daschund was going to take it.  I don't care for them, but that was a NICE looking dog.  And the Siberian Husky was totally robbed in the Working Group.  

That Husky was a beautiful dog. Coloring and his gait were perfect. Definitely robbed. Sorry about your Lab.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

Well, despite my love of the terriers, I also was rooting for anyone but the terrier. The dachshund really tugged at my heart as did the Havenese. Speaking of the Havenese, would somebody be kind enough to explain to me just what a reserve best in show is?i know its been around for a while but I.never paid attention to it. TIA

Reserve winner is 2nd place. Agree with you about the terrier. My least favourites were the boxer and terrier, so of course....

• Love 1

I’m just happy the Yorkshire Terrier made the winner’s/potential winner’s cut in the Toy Group this year—& actually took third place—instead of getting totally ignored during the final group cuts like the breed usually does. My family had a number of Yorkies over the years. We still love them & always watch the dog show to cheer for the breed.

And I join the many here who are suffering from Wire Fox Terrier (or just Fox Terrier) burnout/fatigue in the Best in Show ring/as the winner (with apologies to the fans here of that breed). Didn’t they keep saying the breed’s won something like 14 times over the years (maybe now 15 with this year’s win)?

That’s like Tony Bennett winning a Grammy basically every time he’s nominated for 1 (but he didn’t this year—Willie Nelson won the category). Yes Bennett’s a good/great singer, though he’s not my style. But does he REALLY deserve a Grammy nomination/win for EVERY eligible CD (or a single track from it) he releases? I’d say no. Same goes for the Fox Terrier/Wirehaired Fox Terrier/Other Fox Terrier variations deserving the BIS at WKC every time they make the BIS competition.

I get they can’t keep that breed/related breeds from entering or even winning, but I wish they’d find a BIS Judge who’s not so Fox Terrier-obsessed some time. I think a Yorkshire Terrier-obsessed Toy Group/BIS Judge would be nice at least 1 year.

Not to mention they should try to vet the Judges a bit better so they don’t have to DQ anymore dogs, especially not after they’ve already won BOB or Group, because the dog’s humans are too closely connected, somehow, to the Judge they’ve chosen for a round of competition. That would be so disappointing (if it were me handling, at least), to win the Group & then be told you can’t compete for BIS after all. I hope they let the Schipperke keep the BOB & Group wins it got though. I’m not sure how I feel about it being allowed to be in the beginning of the BIS competition. It was kinda nice they at least let the dog get a quick look see & spin around that ring before removing it, but it also felt like they were just throwing it, & its humans, a bone (pun sort of intended) to appease them.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Love 1

The mom cat of four felines is bumping up the topic for this year - we have the show coming on February 10th and 11th - once again on Fox Sports, day time streaming includes the breed judging, with Herding and Hound on Sunday.  Go Xoloitzcuintles!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Heads up: Fox Sports 1 will start coverage at 7 p.m., with the competition commencing at 7:30.

Sadly, I found out two Pugs that I follow didn’t make the trip because their entries weren’t received. It’s a shame, especially since I’ve seen pictures of Natty racking up win after win.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I can't get over how much more I enjoy the FS1 coverage.  Not only do I get to see all the dogs, not the pre-selected ones who are going to do well, but the commentary doesn't make me grind my teeth.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

So tired of the Standard Poodle winning Non-Sporting seemingly every bloody year. #BulldogJustice 😊

I agree, but that poodle won my heart when he bowed before doing his walk.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So tired of the Standard Poodle winning Non-Sporting seemingly every bloody year. #BulldogJustice 😊

Eighty Group wins. I mean, I don’t want to be breedist, but the established standard look is . . . ugh. I’m sure Shiba is a nice dog . . . but ugh.

2 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

I agree, but that poodle won my heart when he bowed before doing his walk.

Yeah, but what about the nice view of Poodle butthole? 🤢🤢🤢

• LOL 2

Don't you all play at home?  I picked the Scottish Deer Hound for the Hound group and she came in second, which is what my picks usually do, but I did score first place with the Havanese.  I want one of those! 

I don't even try with the Non-Sporting group although the Poodle at Westminster is always safe money.  Tonight will be the Sporting Group and although it's my favorite group, I find it hard to choose because I want one of each and swoon over every setter.  I grew up with an Irish Setter and feel sad every time I look at one, same with the Bearded Collie in the Herding/working group.

• Love 2

I am fully prepared for my usual disappointment when Westminster totally blows off the most popular dog breed in the AKC registry for the past 30 years, and gives Best in Group to some fucking Spaniel. 

Come on, where's the love for the Labrador?! It's bad enough that it always has to be a YELLOW ONE (I've had four. Two Black and two Chocolate), but throw us a bone once in awhile!

I was pulling for Tony the GSD HARD last night. I grew up with GSD's from Wisconsin. I almost peed with excitement the year that Rumor Has It won. But I have to admit that that Sheltie was WORKING IT. 

16 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

It's bad enough that it always has to be a YELLOW ONE (I've had four. Two Black and two Chocolate), but throw us a bone once in awhile!

Ohhh those chocolate labs are really beautiful, I agree.

I've been watching a bit of the breed judging.  The owners/handlers are something to be watched as well, how some are sooooooo serious and others are just happy to be there.  

Betting on the Sheltie at this point, he's so full of fun and is really a gorgeous animal.  

• Love 3

I like the coverage that Fox is giving us.  The descriptions in the lower left hand corners and the commentary is very good.  I am so glad they moved on from USA Network.  Also glad I have FS too.  That wasn't always the case.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, rcc said:

I like the coverage that Fox is giving us.  The descriptions in the lower left hand corners and the commentary is very good.  I am so glad they moved on from USA Network.  Also glad I have FS too.  That wasn't always the case.

I'm enjoying the expert commentary from the doctor (I assume he's a vet). He really seems to know the dog breeds and what the judges are looking for.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The show wraps up tonight. I think they know @bosawks’ anguish about Chessies getting denied, so they’ll be doing Sporting Group first. 😜😜😜

I took a pause from working at home just to watch the annual thievery committed against America’s breed!

I give you the most noble Chessie....

13011FDC-BBD8-40BB-9D3E-838C9B85E1BB.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

For the 144th year in a row the Chessie was robbed!

Alli and I consoled ourselves with a spirited discussion over why an inside toy can become an outside toy but an outside toy can never become an inside toy.

At least retrievers are representing!

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I highly recommend seeing a Welsh Springer Spaniel in person.

TV never seems to do them justice, they are adorable.

I'm a softie for the English Springer Spaniel. 

First the Standard Poodle, now the Golden. *sigh*

• Love 1

I didn't watch last night because I thought there was no way the Sheltie would make the t.v. broadcast.  Every year we watch the National Dog Show on Thanksgiving hoping the Sheltie gets some air time.  Every year the Sheltie is shown during the commercial break to give more air time to the German shepherd and Doberman.  (No, I'm not bitter).  Thanks to ABC News for giving an update; I'm tuning in tonight to see if Conrad can pull off a miracle.  

• Love 1
On 2/10/2020 at 7:53 PM, Frost said:

I can't get over how much more I enjoy the FS1 coverage.  Not only do I get to see all the dogs, not the pre-selected ones who are going to do well, but the commentary doesn't make me grind my teeth.

Ack, you're killing me.  My Directv package includes FS2, but not FS1, for some STUPID reason.  I was able to watch breed judging all day, which was interesting, but weirdly sporadic, skipping around from breed to breed, but now I'm forced to haunt the WKC thread to learn what's happening.  Hi.

I'm a sad and bitter kitten, but I agree that the commentary I heard was excellent.  (Goldens have a complicated "front end assembly," heh.)  Very refreshing after a million years of the stale canned 411 they've dished out on the USA Network.

[P.S.  Here's something funny:   I started reading this thread at the top of the last page and didn't realize the discussion was about WKC 2019.  I couldn't BELIEVE the fox terrier won two years in a row!]

• Love 1