Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Westminster Dog Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'll go against the grain regarding of the two most popular dogs - one win-wise, the other being the odds-on favorite to win  tonight -- I don't want Matisse, the Portugese Water Dog or Flame, the Standard Poodle.  I don't find either one, especially the way they're dolled up, to be "attractive" in the least.  Matisse looks like the the groomer took off halfway through working with the clippers, and I've always thought poodles of any type are ridiculous-looking.

My preferences would be Miss. P, the Beagle Hound, or the Springer Spaniel (name escaping me).

Still bummed the neither the Australian Cattle Dog nor the Border Collie won their group.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 1

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I am absolutely shocked.  Thrilled to pieces, but shocked nonetheless.  

When he announced the winner was Miss P., I screamed so loudly that my cat, who up to that point had been asleep in my lap, shot up and out of the room like she'd been fired from a cannon.  I now have several deep, blood-tinged punctures on my thighs around which bruises are beginning to develop.

I figured the winner would be (in descending order):  the Portuguese Water Dog, the Standard Poodle, the Old English Sheepdog, the Shih-Tzu, the Springer Spaniel, the Skye Terrier, and finally the Beagle Hound.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 2

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I am absolutely shocked. Thrilled to pieces, but shocked nonetheless.

When he announced the winner was Miss P., I screamed so loudly that my cat, who up to that point had was asleep in my lap, shot up and out of the room like she'd been fired from a cannon. I now have several deep, blood-tinged punctures on my thighs that are now starting to develop some bruising around them.

I figured the winner would be (in descending order): the Portuguese Water Dog, the Standard Poodle, the Old English Sheepdog, the Shih-Tzu, the Springer Spaniel, the Skye Terrier, and finally the Beagle Hound.

What a great ending! I was so convinced BIS was going to be the Portuguese, and he/she (?) didn't even come in second! I adored Uno when he won several years ago, and now his great-nephew takes it all. Loved it! Edited by Mrs. P.
  • Love 3

The Portuguese Water Dog, Matisse, is male and has the most wins of any male American show dog in history.  The only reason I know this is because the dude providing all the info for each entry brought it up several times during yesterday's and today's broadcast.  I found it a little weird, but it's part of the reason I thought he was going to win.

But yeah, major upset that he didn't even get Reserve BIS.  I'm thrilled that the Skye Terrier got it.  This is evil of me to say, but I couldn't help smirking with satisfaction when Matisse and Flame, the Standard Poodle, were both shut out.

I have a sneaking suspicion there are some very happy bookies in Vegas.  This is only the second time a Beagle won BIS, with the first win occurring in 2008. 

Is anyone else feeing inspired to (re)watch "Best In Show" now?

• Love 2

The Old English Sheepdog got robbed, I tell ya. I'm just thrilled it wasn't the Shih Tzu. I'm not a big fan of Beagles, but I guess it breaks up the Terrier and Toy bias (though not the smaller dog bias) so there's that. 

• Love 1

I was pulling for Liz, the Springer.  She was lovely.  I will say I cringed each time they showed the commercial with Banana Joe because that is one seriously ugly dog.  I was glad that of the terriers that it was "different" breed in that the Skye is not one of the all to common brown and black breeds.  The ones that I always have trouble telling apart. 

I liked Matisse in that he was a "different" breed than what is recognizable for a winning dog.  Say what you will about the required show cut, it was superbly done and made him stand out.  I was fascinated watching his little fluffy tail floating along.

There was a statistic that I may have misread on opening night stating the herding group has only one Best in Show win in the history of Westminster.  I'm a big fan of the Shetland sheepdogs, which rarely place in the dog shows I've watched.  I was hoping for a Swagger win last night just to get the herders in the spotlight.  

Edited by Phebemarie

I would have enjoyed a Swagger win as well.  I guess just because there are a bazillion beagles around here and I find a few of them every year that have become separated from their packs.

I thought Banana Joe was ADORABLE in his commercial!  Looking at that wise little Yoda face, I had no trouble believing the man that Joe didn't trust easily but then committed fully.

: )

The first time they said Pro Plan was the breakfast of champions, I snorted.  As though any of those rockstar dogs are eating Purina anything.  But at this point, I'm just about convinced.  They couldn't have bought off that many Westminster high poobahs, could they?

Here's the thing about Purina: if you ever visit an animal rescue facility at a disaster site (like Hurricane Katrina), they donate truckloads of food. Truckloads and truckloads and more truckloads. So I give them credit for that. I feed my pets small-brand canned food, but Purina won't kill them in a crisis.

I really do wish a herding dog would win some day. The problem is that there are so many great dogs, and the numbers are going to favor the popular breeds, which statistically are more likely to produce dogs meeting the "standard."

• Love 1

I just finished watching, since I watch the following day on USA. I predicted the Beagle would win the Hound Group but I thought the Poodle would win BoS, just because Westminster loves Poodles so much. They're high style and flashy, breeders like their expensive dogs and of course groomers love those high maintenance breeds.

The Springer Spaniel was so beautiful to me. For sheer dog beauty, the classic silhouette of Setters and Spaniels make my eyes water. My own Dachshund can get some rest now, for two days she's thought I was talking to her every time I used my high-pitched, baby-talk dog voice at the screen.

• Love 2

I own a Beagle and she is my heart.  She's such a little show dog on her own, I have always said she could've made me millions if I'd have put her in commercials.  Never owned a more personable, friendly, full of personality dog in my life.  She's queen and she knows it.  She's also houdini, the things I've seen her get herself out of are mind blowing.

What I'm trying to say is...I'm glad Miss P won.  LOL

• Love 6

Still bummed the neither the Australian Cattle Dog nor the Border Collie won their group

I had a border collie.  She was an amazing dog.  Super smart.  I would love to see one win BIS.  On the other hand, that's probably not a good thing because it would make the breed more popular and more of them would end up being bred by puppy mills or end up in shelters.  I feel the same way about Golden Retrievers.  Beautiful, sweet-tempered dogs but definitely over bred.  Over breeding has resulted in serious health problems for the Goldens.  It's a very sad situation.

I am delighted a beagle won.  It's nice to see a "regular" dog win.

Edited by monakane
  • Love 2
I adored Uno when he won several years ago, and now his great-nephew takes it all. Loved it!

Me too! I love an upset, and when it's Miss P blazing by the favorites, even better.

Is anyone else feeling inspired to (re)watch "Best In Show" now?

Love that movie!

"Rhapsody has two mommies!"

"Who's that in the burgundy jacket? Mr Hip!"

"You've got your Busy Bee! Do you want your Busy Bee?!"

"Thanks a lot, you stupid hotel manager!"

"She looks like a cocktail waitress on an oil rig."

I feel the same way about Golden Retrievers.  Beautiful, sweet-tempered dogs but definitely over bred.  Over breeding has resulted in serious health problems for the Goldens.  It's a very sad situation.

True of goldens (#3 in AKC registrations),  but even more so for Labs, #1 in AKC registrations for 20 years. In fact, any of the breeds in the Top 10 for AKC registrations become overbred with associated health problems due to puppy millers and backyard breeders producing dogs for quantity, not quality. Very sad indeed.

• Love 4

No slam on Purina!  I just bought 400 pounds of it.  (Costco's Kirkland is my first choice for wet or dry--very high quality, equivalent to much more expensive brands--but too many snowy miles to Costco.)

• Love 1

My colleague whose wife bred Swagger, the Old English Sheepdog, is back in town.  His take is that the OES, Poodle and Portuguese Water Dog were ranked numbers 1, 2 and 3 in the country.  The judge did not want to choose between them so he chose a great dog who was not in that group, and gave reserve to another such dog.  Of course, this could be sour grapes.  

I did learn from him that it takes approximately three hours to get the OES all fluffed up for the show - there is a lot of back-combing.  Then they have to "degroom" him for another 3 hours after the show, brushing his hair out straight so it doesn't get matted overnight. The next day, it's back to creating the fluffball we saw strutting his stuff.  I'm sure the owners with the high-maintenance dogs were a little miffed that a low maintenance beagle won.  There's no three hours of back combing needed for a beagle! 

I just found this thread, so sorry for the late comment ... I've been to one dog show in my life - I took a visitor from England who was interested as she raises Keeshonds and was interested in seeing a US dog show. And I've never had a dog as a pet. But I do like watching the dog shows when they're on TV.

Anyway, I started looking up information about cropping ears and tails, and it seems like it's becoming less common in the US. Were any of the "bests" for breeds that are traditionally cropped, uncropped (or undocked) ? My friend from England was surprised to see the docked tails; she said they were illegal in the UK now.

And it's that time of year again!!!!

Yes, still pulling for the bulldogs, though I would love a breed to win this year that hasn't prior.  I so enjoy the Westminster website for their streaming the individual breed judging, I'm noticing lots of younger handlers. Here are some of the new breeds this year at Westminster, the mini American Shepherd is gorgeous.   

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 1

I just loved the agility championship on Sunday! Not only do the dogs work their tails off, but the trainers get a darn good workout too! The slo-mo of the dogs running through the weave poles was a thing of beauty, ears flying and jowls jiggling. And I especially loved the dogs who barked during their run. Such enjoyable TV viewing! Thanks, Westminster!

I had the chance to go to the benching and "meet and greet" today. It was awesome. If you are local it's easy to get tickets. CHERRY, I got the chance to pet one of the mini American Shepards and speak to an owner, what gorgeous dogs.

• Love 1

Shocker . . . the (English) Bulldog won Best In Group. That never happens! While I regard the breed as a big pile of recessive traits stuffed into a dog, they're so much fun to watch. Go, Annabelle!

ETA: Have the agility competitions already been aired? I looked online, and I found that it was on Saturday night, when I was busy watching Dogs 101 on Animal Planet.

• Love 1

Is agility over?!  Arrrrrgh.  That's my favorite.

I wanted to reach through the screen and grab that little long-haired chi; the Siberian Husky coloring was adorable on such a tiny.

I don't think the grandson inherited Malachy's Pekingese sparkle.

I loved the first-year breed who guards the flock. . . disguised as a sheep.

Oh, God, please don't let there be a whole new wave of English Bulldog lovers.  They're so expensive, the puppymills pump them out as fast as possible, so the genetic issues get worse and worse.

For Miss P. fans, I have a new young beagle boy off the highway who's completely changed my mind about hounds--he is a LOVE.  (PM me if you happen to know a great home.  Am I allowed to say that?)

Just watched BOB judging for goldens. A big entry, lots of quality. The judge was consistent in the type she preferred -- my type too! My pick didn't win but got an award of merit. A golden has never won Westminster, but as much as I'd like to see that happen tonight, I think it could be the GSD. Watched the herding group judging and the GSD was a standout. On to BIS!

It is so sad that I live amost right across the river from NYC, and I love the dog show having watched it since the '80s, and it always falls either on my birthday or right near it (today is my birthday) and not once in all this time have I ever attended the show in person. i should ask for tickets next year as my present. Every yeari root for the pug and/or the Komandor and every yer I'm disappointed. This year, so far, I am rooting for the bulldog or the GS. Hope I am not giving them the bad luck since my picks never win..lol. Good luck to all 7 who will be in that ring tonight. 

Chesapeake! Chesapeake! Chesapeake!

Ah hell, who am I kidding....

Anyways, let's go Sporting (CHESSIE!) Breed!

ETA: Sigh, well, there's always next year. Admittedly the Pointer was gorgeous.

Edited by bosawks

Loved Best in Show and agree with the results. I also loved the German Shepherd (well, I loved them all....so beautiful and lovable), but the top two were my favorite two. This is among the best TV viewing of the year. So great to escape the madness of the daily news with these beautiful creatures. Kisses to all the doggies!

• Love 2

What a great show this was, a nice variety to the BIS and even if Annabelle didn't win to please my bulldog lovin' heart, I am so happy for the pointer.   How gorgeous is that spotted creature?  And what a great reaction from the handler, she was truly taken by surprise it seems.  Well done Westminster!

What a beautiful line-up for BIS! He couldn't have gone wrong with any of them, but I'm glad he chose the GSP, a gorgeous dog. I loved the chow-hound Leonberger who was nipping at his handler's pocket the whole time he was being shown. What a clown!

• Love 1

The German Shorthaired Pointer was a lovely dog and one of the fast rising stars.  He and a dog I own have been battling it out for BIS out on the west coast so CJ winning is great for us because he won't be showing anymore.

The Borzoi was also fabulous.

I love Rumor the GSD and her people but it is rare the #1 dog wins BIS - she had a great career and I know will enjoy her mommyhood - she is a lovely SOUND girl.

I do wish a Herding dog would win again - maybe next year!

• Love 2

I didn't watch much this year, unfortunately, but I was shocked at the number of lame dogs in the working group (Boerboel, Saint Bernard, Neopolitan Mastiff).   If they were lame in the breed competition, shame on those judges.  It's not kosher, but I give the group judge discretion to not humiliate people on national television by excusing them.   

Edited by kassa

It is so sad that I live amost right across the river from NYC, and I love the dog show having watched it since the '80s, and it always falls either on my birthday or right near it (today is my birthday) and not once in all this time have I ever attended the show in person. i should ask for tickets next year as my present. Every yeari root for the pug and/or the Komandor and every yer I'm disappointed. This year, so far, I am rooting for the bulldog or the GS. Hope I am not giving them the bad luck since my picks never win..lol. Good luck to all 7 who will be in that ring tonight. 

Happy Birthday!  And yes, you have to go next year--I moved away from DC and still kick myself for not ever going up to the show.  My friends there used to go over during the day and wander around even without show tickets and said it was lots of fun and very interesting--booths full of cool dog stuff and some of the dogs hanging out.  (But that was years ago, so maybe not possible now.)

I know hardly anything about showing so I just watch as a dog fan--which means I loved seeing the little Tzu having a shake and getting comfy, although it probably made her handler nuts.  The best Westminster moment for me is still the little papillon in the loving cup.

Were they saying that very Skye, Charlie, had won BIS Reserve just last year?

I've owned two Samoyeds and was thrilled that one got close for the win this year.

I've never been a Sammy fan (particularly), but I picked him going around.  Fine moving animal!  

I think a lot of solid color coated breeds suffer in BIS competition because they all start to blend together after a while (they shouldn't to a judge, of course, but you know what I mean).  

Finally got done watching this over the weekend. I've been spacing it out. CJ is a lovely dog and I'm very happy for the win. I've always been a fan of the Bichon, so I was happy to see it do well in the group round. I'd love to see one win one of these years, but that non-sporting group is tough with so many different types of dogs. The variety there is huge and its probably my favourite group as a result.

I didn't watch much this year, unfortunately, but I was shocked at the number of lame dogs in the working group (Boerboel, Saint Bernard, Neopolitan Mastiff).   If they were lame in the breed competition, shame on those judges.  It's not kosher, but I give the group judge discretion to not humiliate people on national television by excusing them.   

(Even though I think Rumor is a great dog, I'm glad she didn't win because I hate how the US has basically bred the GSD down to a dog that's deformed.)

Please explain. I don't really know much about dogs other than I think most of them (sorry Sharpei) are adorable. What do either of these quotes mean?

Please explain. I don't really know much about dogs other than I think most of them (sorry Sharpei) are adorable. What do either of these quotes mean?

ttp://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2015/04/02/dog-breeds-1915-vs-2015.aspx

Please explain.

Don't worry - Shar pei moms love their babies ;)

Dog shows are technically a vehicle for choosing breeding stock.  The champion designation should be for dogs that have demonstrated a worthiness to carry the breed forward (being bred) because they've defeated other dogs of the same breed in competition. So you take your dog to a series of shows, and it competes against other dogs of its age/gender in classes.  Then the winners of the classes compete against each other for points (the number of points is determined by how many dogs are entered that day -- if you are considered the best male and there are 25 males entered, that counts for more than just being the best male out of 4).  You need 15 points to become a champion, and two of those wins have to be in shows in which you've defeated a larger number of dogs (so you can't just beat the same two dogs 15 times and become a champion -- this ensures some level of actual competition). Above that level is a competition of the new winners (not yet champions) vs dogs that are already champions in order to see which dog is best of breed.  That dog then moves to group competition, representing the breed.

The Westminster broadcast only shows the groups, which are the winners of each of the breeds in the Sporting group, working group, toy group, etc. competing against each other for the right to go to Best in Show. And then, of course, they show best in show.

The judges are evaluating the dogs based on how they're put together -- each breed has a standard, which describes the ideal animal.  As in humans, a lot of what constitutes beauty is actually good form - strength, symmetry, proportion, etc.   

There are superficial elements like markings (which matter in some breeds and not in others, but even in the ones where they don't technically matter, some are going to please more than others).  But the descriptions of proportions of leg to body and muzzle to skull and how many teeth in what formation are pretty cut and dried.  We're often talking fractions of an inch here and there, so what may be undesirable to a breeder is invisible to someone who doesn't know the breed standard.  But if you're off by a quarter inch every generation, in a few generations you might no longer have a dog that looks like the breed.  So the standard lets breeders select for the most important traits.  

A dog that is put together well is going to move well.  That's why the judges make them run around -- to judge how their physical structures translate into efficient movement.  In this, too, different breeds have different standards.  Some breeds are supposed to look like they're floating.  Some are supposed to have powerful strides.  What might be hidden under a coat or by the way the handler sets up the dog for the judge's examination can often be seen in the dog's gait.  

If the dog is limping (lame), the judge is supposed to excuse it.  Dogs can be lame for any number of reasons, from minor and temporary (a cut on the foot, having slept wrong), to major -- actually being poorly built, or having healed badly from an injury.  In each case, the judge is supposed to excuse them.  The dog leaves the ring, a notation is made that the dog is lame, and the competition continues without them.  Handlers know when their dogs are lame (and if they don't notice, other people will tell them). Most of the time they will pull the dog themselves so as not to run the risk of being excused.  So if a dog is limping, and some of them were in this competition, they either never should have won their breed, or if they came up lame after breed competition, they should have not been brought into the group.  

Westminster is a benched show, and the dogs are basically trapped in very small areas for a couple of very long days (so that the public can come and meet them).  It's entirely possible that the dogs who were lame were lame because they simply hadn't gotten enough exercise and were cramped up.  I hope next year they make more provisions to get them space to move, if that's what it was. 

As for the German Shepherd dog that Bindsthetuna mentioned, there are breeds that have changed radically over the years, and the German Shepherd is one of them.  They have been bred in recent decades for more and more sloping backs, a trait that results in their hind ends being so close to the ground that they can't cover ground the same way that dogs more balanced in front and rear can.  But try telling that to the GSD people (hint: don't).  

It's the result of that same giving in of centimeters and quarter inches here and there over time.  A slight slope looks elegant, so people start doing more of it, until the hind end is low to the ground.  In other breeds you have dogs that can no longer reproduce naturally.  All reflect bad husbandry by breeders selecting for less important traits over more important traits.