Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Wife Swap of 2014: The Dark Wife Rises

• Start Topic

Has any one come across when the TLC contract up?  I did a #sisterwives search on Twiiter and found a link to this article. http://allaboutthetea.com/2015/02/02/sisterwives-exclusive-kody-meri-browns-divorce/

Over the years I have always wondered why NO ONE from the subdivision has wrote something about the Browns after the camera's go home.

Interesting article although they have the date of the actual divorce filings wrong by a month.  And I love the picture they used of Robin. lol  

• Love 1

It is puzzling.

I think it's for Robyn's kids but even still, wouldn't judge see through the little plan? They do have a reality show that showcases their special brand of crazy!

For money? Financial aide for Mariah? There must be a look back period.

It is really puzzling unless Kody just plain old decided he wanted Robyn to be his earthly legal wife!

Edit:

Ok, I read the Reality Tea article. Hey, could be true. There was a blow out and he decided to marry his true love, which I believe really is Robyn and toss Merri aside. Merri is no fool and will hang in there due to her money from TLC. I think Kate and John Gosslin did that for a while...denying rumors of a split just so they could keep filming for a little $$$. Kendra. Tori and Dean. They are put aside "marital problems" when the camera rolls just for some money. Considering how Merri has a huge house (with a wetbar) and a huge mortgage, she better smile pretty for the camera.

Edited by Marigold

The Reality Tea article linked above posits that the blow-out that lead to the divorce was Robyn being upset about the joory business and Kodi supporting Meri's return to school over Robyn's needs.  They claim Robyn gave Kodi an ultimatum of her or Meri and he chose Robyn.  Also, it says that Janelle basically doesn't care but Christine sided with Meri (if I'm remembering correctly) which left her with no one to help her with the kids.  And that's why her mom moved in.

It all seems very plausible. 

• Love 5

I'm late to learn about the divorce and I'm shocked! To bypass Wife #2 and #3, who have been in the game for 20 years, for skinny Wife #4 is such an insult to what they've been through dealing with Kody's shit for years. I hope M, J and C run off and leave Kody with all the debt.

• Love 10

The Reality Tea article linked above posits that the blow-out that lead to the divorce was Robyn being upset about the joory business and Kodi supporting Meri's return to school over Robyn's needs.  They claim Robyn gave Kodi an ultimatum of her or Meri and he chose Robyn.  Also, it says that Janelle basically doesn't care but Christine sided with Meri (if I'm remembering correctly) which left her with no one to help her with the kids.  And that's why her mom moved in.

It all seems very plausible. 

It does seem very plausible.  If true, I hope that Meri -- and even Christine -- sue the holy hell out of the celestial couple, citing brainwashing, or emotional abuse, or whatever it takes to make sure that they won't be able to afford to even FART in Disneyland.  I hope they do DNA tests on the kids and get massive amounts of child support, or alimony.  I know that this is not exactly a workable legal plan, but if I were Meri's attorney, I would go after Kody like a Rottweiler chasing a balding plyg with a pork chop tied to his ass. 

Also, the point above that mentions spending eternity watching Kody rule a planet with The Chin by his side... because really, there's no guarantee that that POS will "call" anyone else to his "planet"... what would happen then, would the other wives float off into outer space forever, orbiting Venus for eternity?  Please let someone point that out to Meri, so that she can hire a lawyer and gtfo. 

Edited by AndreaF
  • Love 8

Has any one come across when the TLC contract up?  I did a #sisterwives search on Twiiter and found a link to this article. http://allaboutthetea.com/2015/02/02/sisterwives-exclusive-kody-meri-browns-divorce/

Wow.  Just wow.

Obviously this article is speculation and we may never know the truth behind everything, but as far as I'm concerned this is proving the old saying that water seeks its own level.  Kody and Robyn are lower than the Dead Sea.

• Love 5

It does sound horribly plausible from Kouche and Smuggin's POV, horribly being the operative word. MSWC is not going to make good money period. Mariah positing a semi assy tweet last year was the closest they ever got to trending. If anything in that story is true its only that Kody wanted to marry Robyn and used this as excuse. It's not like they haven't been through everyone's bankruptcy and financial failure before, this business failing is small potatoes. If this is vaguely how it went doiwn then Kody wanted 10 years younger legal wifey and nothing else. Maybe she'll be the only one still around in 5 years. And that's not a compliment Kody. 

From the moment Robyn was introduced to us, you could tell she wanted Kody ALL to herself. Over the years we have watched her bat her eyelashes at Kody in some sort of plea to get him to listen or pay attention to her only. We can't count how many times Robyn has made one of the women cry over her actions & words.

Well, she figured out something and finally got heself to that top position.

• Love 4
I wonder how Mariah feels about all of this.

Good question. Bet it's a big glass of ice water in the face to find out that First Wife means squat.  And the princess just got replaced in the hierarchy by the non-blood siblings to boot.  How's polygamy looking to you now, Mariah?

• Love 10
I did a #sisterwives search on Twiiter and found a link to this article. http://allaboutthete...browns-divorce/

Wow!   No way to know for sure if that's true, yet anyway, but boy oh boy is that a bombshell if so!  

TL; DR version for anyone who wants it, the "source" claims that Kody was forced to choose between Meri and Robyn after Robyn threw a fit and moved out of the house for a while (read: stopped sleeping with him) until he agreed to divorce Meri and marry her. The rift was supposedly over the "joory business" that Meri wanted out of and Kody's agreeing to let her back out and go back to school.  Miss Thing was. not. having. it.  As for the others:  Janelle reportedly was "shocked" but then continued on in her regular detached manner, and Christine is upset about being passed over as wife of choice, which I can't say I blame her for in the least.  She has distanced herself from both Robyn and Meri, which leaves her without help with the house and kids, which is purportedly why her mother moved in to help her. 

Cause adding the mother of your pissed-off wife to the mix seems like a super idea! 

I didn't quite understand, however, the part of the article which described the fallout for Meri.   It initially says that she was "devastated and felt very betrayed" and was initially disgusted with Kody,  but she has since "had a change of heart."  But in the very next phrase it says she has "emotionally broken off from Kody, claiming to be done with him."  (So not really sure about that "change of heart" thing. It seems out of place in that paragraph.)  Anyway, then it goes on to say that Meri has agreed to "hang in there" for the family and to finish out the TLC contract.  So I wasn't clear if that means that once the contract is over and the cameras gone that she is out of there, but I certainly hope so.  

Run, Meri, run!  You're not my favorite person necessarily, but no one deserves to be treated like this and you shouldn't be a doormat that gets walked all over.  Especially not by two people as reprehensible as Kody and Robyn.

So wait... did Kody and Meri really divorce??

Yes, apparently.  There are places online that have published screenshots of the official divorce record from the county.  See here: http://cynicaljinxwelcome.blogspot.com/2015/01/breaking-news-13115.html

Isn't polygamy awesome!?   C'mon guys!  You know you want to try it!  See what "blessings" it brings?

• Love 9

I also wonder how Christine and Janelle feel about this. They were passed over for Robyn to become the legal wife. They've always acted like it doesn't matter. They are all his wives, married in the sight of God, equal etc. But obviously who is the legal wife matters to them if he bothered to legally married to Robyn. 

I agree with this and also - Janelle is probably feeling pretty smug right now.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Somehow I feel that this screws over janelle to. If she is happy about it then I believe it is a cut off your nose to spite your face situation.
  • Love 1

I do find it believable that Meri would be broken and heartsick. I don't like Meri either, but I don't like Robyn even more. Kody is a disgusting human being. I'm very curious as to what on earth would bring this about.

• Love 3

Ok - I'm way late to this party. I just found out tonight about the divorce. I agree that the articles with the 'why' are highly speculative but it sounds like the news of a Meri divorce and legal marriage to Robyn are legit. 

So do we have any idea if this is a real divorce? By that I mean are Meri and Kody still together somehow but Robyn is now the legal wife, meaning this was done for ratings, money, custody or whatever, or have Kody and Meri really ended their relationship? The current shows were filmed before the divorce right? But it does seem to me that if it was a "real" divorce... i.e. Meri and Kody really aren't a couple anymore, it would have taken longer for divorce proceedings due to financial settlements which would not only affect things like the joint ownership of the home, college bills, debt etc but the actual show itself. I would think their divorce agreement would have to have some kind of agreement on how the money would be split (I've always suspected that the TLC money is in one pot that Kody controls) and how Meri would continue in the show since she's not married to Kody anymore. 

• Love 1

I think if both agreed to the divorce and agreed on the "terms" it's pretty simple and can be done quickly. The thing with the house being in both of their names is a catch though, I would think. You can't just take your name off of a home with a mortgage (if they are making payments, or not). I'm sure neither is in the position to buy the other out.

• Love 2

The Register of Actions show that Meri and Kody filed together on 9/12/14 as joint petitioners. On 9/15/14, there was a request for Request for Summary Disposition of Uncontested Division. Several affidavits were also filed on that date supporting that request. The Decree of Divorce was obtained on 9/25/14. Since it happened so quickly,  they had worked out the financials (such as they are in Brownville) before they went to court. An attorney was involved so hopefully Meri didn't get too screwed, although she had to pay out $293 as a financial assessment. Since what we are seeing right now was filmed right before they filed, that means Meri and Kody were probably talking through financials while road tripping and moving Annie to LV.

According to someone at CJ's blog, Kody is still on Meri's house. He will be until they refinance.

It would be interesting to know how the Brown Family Entertainment LLC is structured and how Meri will continue to be paid. But if the show doesn't get picked up for another season it really doesn't matter. There are only a couple episodes let in this season.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3

Very interesting theory in this article. Although it sounds pretty sensational and fascinating, I also have a hard time believing it. Not because Robyn wouldn't try to finagle her way to becoming legal wife, but because the whole Sisterwife's Closet angle seems far-fetched, even for Robyn who thinks her jewelry is the center of the world. Granted, she was upset when Meri decided to focus more on school, but I can't see Kody--as ridiculous as he is--actually thinking that Robyn being upset about that is legitimate enough to warrant divorcing Meri. I think if the divorce and marriage to Robyn was done for personal reasons, it has to be about something else. 

Edited by purpleflowers

After reading all the various hypotheses (extending 15 minutes of fame, tax benefits, alimony scam, insurance, tuition breaks, adopting Robyn's kids, adopting another baby, spite, revenge, ultimatums, horniness, douchiness) I have finally come around to think that Meri pulled the plug and Kody, in a childish fit, married the one wife that would really piss off Meri the most: Robyn.

• Love 8

If they want TLC money, they may have certain appearances to keep.  Maybe they're able to remain friends?  Ugh...

Unless many of you are right and this is all just more of the Brown Scam Machine:  ratings scam, money scam, more website(s) hits scam, fan scam, mortgage scam, bankruptcy scam, refinance scam, welfare scam, weight loss scam, LIV scam, joory scam, new wife scam, pregnancy scam, wife-leaving scam, meeting "new" plyg scam, helping distressed escapees scam...

Did I miss any?

• Love 4

After reading all the various hypotheses (extending 15 minutes of fame, tax benefits, alimony scam, insurance, tuition breaks, adopting Robyn's kids, adopting another baby, spite, revenge, ultimatums, horniness, douchiness) I have finally come around to think that Meri pulled the plug and Kody, in a childish fit, married the one wife that would really piss off Meri the most: Robyn.

I think marrying Janelle would piss Meri off more.Jmo. Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 3

I wonder what happens now with Meri's house,

I think if Robyn doesn't get the "big" house, she'll get the wet bar at the very least!

Kody needs to research Big Love a little more thoroughly - Bill is murdered in the final episode.

I have intentionally stayed off the Big Love forums because I just started Season 2 and didn't want to see any spoilers.  Thanks.

[Apologies for missing that, 4leaf.  I've gone back and put all references to the show in spoiler tags.  Not that it does you any good I realize.--Rhondinella]

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if the biological father was responsible for Dayton's accident. And if Robyn used this as a way to leverage custody of the children and perhaps they were able to "buy" silence if the promised him theirs. Thus, if bio-dad relinquished children, Kody could adopt them legally following a marriage.

That makes the most sense to me. And give that despite his last name there seems to be some issue about him (he was either never assigned another wife or no other woman felt "called" to him, depending on what story you believe) perhaps some pressure was brought to bear by the church as well. The Browns may have been making tithes all this time in hopes of something like this.

THIS is the tweet that is making me think. Especially given the timing--right before Meri and Kody divorced and the same exact day that the divorce document says that Meri and Kody petitioned for the divorce.

I agree.  And Meri definitely was pretty down.  Her twitter profile now says "Independent, strong, and daring to live" which sounds like a message to someone to me.  And she tweeted this 

DSEyGWk.jpg

which also sounds like a pretty strong message. 

• Love 1

THIS is the tweet that is making me think. Especially given the timing--right before Meri and Kody divorced and the same exact day that the divorce document says that Meri and Kody petitioned for the divorce.

Well yeah! Robyn thought it was still going to be all roses when she got Kody to legally marry her. SMH

I really don't think it is about the kids, the houses, taxes, or means of more money. I believe that Robyn, being Robyn, gave Kody an ultimatum and he was scared $hitless to loose her.

Sometimes truth is crazier then anything TLC could make up. And with these two (kody &robyn) I wouldn't put it pass them that is just all about the lust for one another.

Once their contract is up, I would be shocked if two more "wives" didn't leave. With Janelle's business mind...I wouldn't put it past her if she helped some of them stash some $$$ away from Kody's hands. In-law ties to Kody or not.

It can't be that hard to distract him..."oooh Kody, look there's a robin over there." -"Where's Robyn?" :D

Edited by lilacgirl
  • Love 5

Okay, now I'm actually kind of angry.  Kody is just unreal.  If I were Robyn's kids' dad, I would be incensed that this fool was trying to marginalize me as a father.  And what does it say about Meri's self-esteem that she's willing to put up with this nonsense?  I can't imagine that Janelle and Christine are thrilled about not being chosen as the "real wife."  Either Kody is absolutely incredible in bed, to the point that he has a svengali-like power over these poor women (not likely), or they have serious emotional issues.  

The real victims in this situation are the kids.  Just think- we only see a fraction of the crazy that goes on in that family.  

• Love 13

The various tweets being posted definitely make it sound more like an actual divorce than a scam. I suppose the tweets could be a scam posted at the 'right time' to be found when the news broke and lead us to believe it's not a scam, but that kind of multi-step thought and planning seems well beyond this group. So assuming they really are divorced more than just legally, it could explain the extreme paranoia Christine seemed to have in the episode a few weeks ago about Kody not standing up for her with his friend. It seemed stupid at the time but maybe her overreaction was a symptom of knowing her husband was divorcing his first wife and was choosing a later wife to be his legal wife, passing over the other "old" wives. She probably wonders where that leaves her. There has been a lot of speculation on the cause of the divorce, most of it surrounding scams or custody games, but what if Kody dumped her simply because she is no longer useful? She can't have more kids and doesn't want fertility treatments. The kid she does have has moved out. She has mentioned wanting to do things like college - not something that puts Kody at the center of her universe. He's done with her. He completely seems like the type to do that. 

• Love 4

She can't have more kids and doesn't want fertility treatments.

I think the last discussion of that issue was that Meri WAS willing to have fertility treatments, but Kody nixed it.  It seems that he doesn't want to waste sperm, money, and effort on trying to impregnate an older woman via a petri dish when he's got the hot chick wanting another baby (e.g., more REAL sex)? 

• Love 3

THIS is the tweet that is making me think. Especially given the timing--right before Meri and Kody divorced and the same exact day that the divorce document says that Meri and Kody petitioned for the divorce.

God that tweet is so 12-year-old girl...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 11

Has this hit mainstream media yet? I am rather surprised that TLC or some "spokesperson" for the family has not responded yet. Maybe they are busy getting their stories straight behind the scenes or filming a new episode to explain it?

• Love 1

You could tell from the beginning Robyn wanted to run the show and she always got ticked off when there was mention of good times before she was part of the group.  It isn't hard to believe that Kody would go through mid-life crisis and run away with his youngest and currently most fertile bride.  The biggest shocker is that Meri, Janelle, and Christine would not only stick around afterwards, but drink the kool aid that there could actually be a reasonable explanation for this that they are OK with. 

• Love 6

this is the episode description for 2-15-15

First a Verdict, Then a Lawyer
Sun Feb 15 8:00 - 9:00 PM | 250 TLC

The Browns worry that the anthropology students will see them as completely dysfunctional instead of as a healthy family, and to add to that stress, Meri makes a momentous decision that will change the future of the Brown family.

Maybe this is it?

• Love 5

Has this hit mainstream media yet? I am rather surprised that TLC or some "spokesperson" for the family has not responded yet. Maybe they are busy getting their stories straight behind the scenes or filming a new episode to explain it?

It made my local newscast this morning (major metropolitan city).  I was very shocked.

• Love 1

this is the episode description for 2-15-15

First a Verdict, Then a Lawyer

Sun Feb 15 8:00 - 9:00 PM | 250 TLC

The Browns worry that the anthropology students will see them as completely dysfunctional instead of as a healthy family, and to add to that stress, Meri makes a momentous decision that will change the future of the Brown family.

Maybe this is it?

It will turn out to be something like she's going to stop dyeing her hair.

Sorry, I am done falling for the DRAMA bait and switch.

• Love 9

It will turn out to be something like she's going to stop dyeing her hair.

Sorry, I am done falling for the DRAMA bait and switch.

Taking my eyes - and my disposable income - elsewhere on Sunday nights. These people need to lose the TLC gravy train and return to the real world with the rest of us.

Of course, I'll still be obsessing here for the snark. :)

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 7

The Daily Mail has got it. They're going with our/TMZ ideas that its about the kids, which is the most socially acceptable explanation I guess, not that Robyn might have given an ultimatum. Although the fact that Kody has two other wives with 12 kids who've never had the chance to be married to him, and who publicly used food stamps have somehow been leapfrogged forever.

• Love 5

Meh. I predict that the anthropology students will issue a glowing report on polygamy, just like very other professor has. (Remember Rev. Dani, their biggest fan?)

After all, the report will be based on interviews. What do you think the interviews will look like?

Anthropologists: How often are you intimate with your wives?

Christine: That is private. We don't talk about that.

Anthropologists: How do you rotate your schedule?

Robyn: We don't discuss that.

Anthropologists: Do the wives ever get jealous?

Meri: Sometimes. Jealousy is a natural emotion, but we are a family and we work through it.

Anthropologists: Can you give us an example of a time when one of one of your wives were jealous?

Kody: We are not going there.

Anthropologists: Is there anything you CAN tell us?

Meri: (With a death grip on Kody's arm). Polygamy is great. I like my "me" time. (Under her breath) Kody, don't even think about staying at Robyn's again tonight.

Christine: Polygamy enables me to do more because my sister wives can watch my kids. (Turns to the side). Mom, don't forget to watch the kids while I get my hair trimmed tomorrow

Janelle: The bottom line is that we are one big happy family. (Turns to Christine). Don't ever bring Truly over for me to babysit anymore. She kept forgetting my name.

• Love 21

Yep, it's hitting the news. From E! News Online:

"We have chosen to legally restructure our family," the Brown family said in a statement obtained by E! News. "We made this decision together as a family. We are grateful to our family, friends and fans for all their love and support."

Yes, it will be framed as a practical decision made for the unselfish greater good, and I have believed all along that it has something to do with Robyn's kids. Take your Dramamine, friends, 'cause the spin is going to be fierce.

http://www.eonline.com/news/621231/sister-wives-kody-brown-divorces-one-woman-to-marry-another

• Love 4

If Meri's "momentous" decision is about the divorce, they are going to try to sell this as Meri wanting Robyn to be the legal wife to save the kids and bring more spirit babies to their world.  They probably think this will make Meri more likable. 

eta:  Although I do think the divorce is real and wasn't instigated by Meri, the timing of the "leak" on the facebook page regarding the divorce filings is very suspect now.  Just a week before the episode description is released that hints at this?  

IMO they leaked this to generate buzz prior to the episode on the 15th.  

Edited by JenMcSnark
  • Love 3

Yep, it's hitting the news. From E! News Online:

"We have chosen to legally restructure our family," the Brown family said in a statement obtained by E! News. "We made this decision together as a family. We are grateful to our family, friends and fans for all their love and support."

Legally restructure?????? That's right up there with 'conscious uncoupling'. BARF

• Love 21