Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Wife Swap of 2014: The Dark Wife Rises

• Start Topic

Now this really is following

Big Love, except Bill married the 2nd wife.

I wonder if Meri did this to get free schooling. Christine and Janelle must be gnashing their teeth. If I were one of them, this would be the final straw and I would leave.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 7
(edited)

I thought the same thing Jellywager.  

Big Love Playbook

totally.  And cheaper than having another kid or bringing in Wife #5...right?  

There is absolutely NO doubt, this is true news.  It's on the Clark County website. CJ will be posting it on her blog very soon.

They've said numerous times that they consider all the "marriages" equal - legal and spiritual - so theoretically this should not change their relationships at all.  However, I highly doubt that's the way it's going down with them.  That explains a lot - many of the tweets from the three parties...Christine bringing her mom in...the trip to Hawaii in December.  Janelle is a true believer IMO, but Christine must be freaking out all over again.  Meri - I bet she's regretting "introducing" Robyn and Kody (if that's actually how it went down...I myself have my doubts as to the veracity of that story...they're ALL liars).

Anything to keep the TV Money coming in right?

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 1

It must be for financial reasons. Now Meri as a "single mom" with a dependent in college, Meri and Mariah stand to gain or at the very least qualify for more financial help. Robyn stays winning! She's come a long way from a trailer with no heat and a mess of kids to McMansions, vacations and live-in help. 

• Love 2

I am gobsmacked.

Woah...that makes two of us, mbutterfly! CJ has the docs up. Oh my, the spin machine must be sweating bullets now.

So all the adults in the family have been legally married (to SOMEONE) at some point, except Christine.

Meri should have her fucking head examined. If there was any question about her staying because she's in the legal cat-bird seat, well, that's a done deal.

We've said it before: ROBYN IS STEALTH.

• Love 7

Since I'm liking Meri again this season - good for her.  And hey, maybe this is the kick in the butt Mariah needs to realize polygamy isn't all that.  I'm sure this was agreed upon by all the wives, but I would like to think that Meri made Kody sign over his half of her house.  I'm dying to know how they spin this. 

The Big Love plot had a compelling reason

for the divorce.  Wife number two (Nicki) had a secret child from a previous marriage.  After her daughter's father died, Nicki wanted Bill to adopt her.  They needed to be legally married, so first wife agreed to it, for the greater good of the family.  The only way the plot would be similar is if Robyn is having custody issues with her ex.

Very interesting.

• Love 3

Wow. So much for religious calling and all that other crap. So are Kody and Meri supposedly still spiritually sealed for eternity or whatever that bullshit was...or has she dumped his sorry ass?

With Meri having only one child who is no longer a minor, it doesn't make much sense in terms of "bleeding the beast, " so what is the real motive here?

Janelle and Christine must be PISSED.

• Love 1

A bunch of sorry, slimeball, con artists who are making up this crap as they go.

They deserve each other - and whatever trouble they're getting themselves into next. Unfortunately, all those kids are being dragged along for the ride.

Oh, yeah. Soooo morally superior. My aunt Fanny.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 5
With Meri having only one child who is no longer a minor, it doesn't make much sense in terms of "bleeding the beast, " so what is the real motive here?

I'm liking the guess someone above made that it was done to make Meri a "single" mother so Mariah would qualify for more financial aid for college.  Whatever the reason it's almost certainly financial.

• Love 4

It will be interesting to see if this is discussed on the show, and if so what explanation they give.

The all-Robyn show next week may very well be a set-up to prime viewers for this bombshell.

Another idea floated is that Robyn's ex is going to terminate parental rights, and if Kody was legally married to Robyn he'd have the (easier) ability to adopt her children.

• Love 3

The all-Robyn show next week may very well be a set-up to prime viewers for this bombshell.

Another idea floated is that Robyn's ex is going to terminate parental rights, and if Kody was legally married to Robyn he'd have the (easier) ability to adopt her children.

It could be possible, as well, that Robyn's ex is trying to get custody of his kids and using her unorthodox living arrangements as grounds, so Kody legally married her.  If Meri agreed to a divorce for the sake of Robyn's kids, that probably makes her the world's most unselfish sisterwife. 

Just when you think the Browns can't surprise you anymore!

• Love 7

They already refer to Robyn's kids as Browns anyway, this seems to me like a lot to go through to make them legal Browns. Maybe someone more familiar with the religion can answer this for me... Would this recent development have any impact on Kody's planet? Like if he adopts them does that make them his kids in the afterlife? Or maybe since they are out of storyline a they figured they'd give this a go.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yup it IS financial.  it's because they don't want to lose their "work" that they're always going on and on about.  The "work" of course, being the filming.  And it's cheaper to divorce Meri and legally marry Robyn than it is to bring in a new #5 wife that is going to get a piece of the TLC Brown Family Entertainment pie.

and I think we can see a prime motivator for why Maddie didn't hesitate to pull up stakes and get the hell out of Dodge.  And her attitude towards Kody.  

Oh and IMO, this was all driven by Kody to begin with.  I wonder if Meri still calls Kody "lover"??  

They already refer to Robyn's kids as Browns anyway, this seems to me like a lot to go through to make them legal Browns. Maybe someone more familiar with the religion can answer this for me... Would this recent development have any impact on Kody's planet? Like if he adopts them does that make them his kids in the afterlife? Or maybe since they are out of storyline a they figured they'd give this a go.

they still have a dad, he would have to give up his rights.  Kody IMO could care less about the afterlife at this point.  He's more concerned with the Now, and keeping that TLC check coming in.  

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 2

anyways, yup it IS financial.  it's because they don't want to lose their "work" that they're always going on and on about.  The "work" of course, being the filming.  And it's cheaper to divorce Meri and legally marry Robyn than it is to bring in a new #5 wife that is going to get a piece of the TLC Brown Family Entertainment pie.  

But why would divorcing Meri and marrying Robyn insure that the show continues?  It's just not that interesting and doesn't really change the family.  Of course, Meri has given up her legal advantage in terms of social security, inheritance, and medical decision-making.  It's not much of a new storyline if that's its purpose.

• Love 2

Meri loses nothing in social security as they were married over 10 years.  If there is anything left to inherit, which is a huge if, Kody's will if he has one would handle that.  Medical decision making she might or might not lose as he could have a living will and medical power of attorney.  I have my father's medical decision making even though my mother is still alive.  I want to know the real reason they did this.  I'm not sure they'll tell us the truth.  They may have hoped no one would notice.

• Love 4

But why would divorcing Meri and marrying Robyn insure that the show continues?  It's just not that interesting and doesn't really change the family.  Of course, Meri has given up her legal advantage in terms of social security, inheritance, and medical decision-making.  It's not much of a new storyline if that's its purpose.

Go to CJ's page and see the impact.  This is a freaking bombshell, even though I realize that in reality it doesn't change the family, but it's just controversial enough and again, right out of the Big Love Playbook.  People are freakin'.

The Gosselin divorce announcement brought in the highest ratings TLC had ever had to that point.  The Browns could be hoping to repeat that magic trick.  The high numbers won't hold but it could earn them a nice bonus.  

• Love 3

WOW!! This is one of the more dramatic and curious Brown developments in quite a while! I agree with others that this could definitely have been done for ratings. As someone mentioned in the comments of CJ's blog, the timing of when the news and documents got leaked coincides with the weekend without a Sister Wives episode.  If they seriously did this to keep viewers tuned in, they must not have much self-respect. However, I do tend to think there is merit to the thought it could be a custody thing with Robyn's kids.  Or, I don't know if Meri becoming legally single would have an impact on her financial aid for school for herself?

• Love 3

As someone who spent over 5 hours today filling out college aid forms (7 schools with 4 separate forms) these colleges ask for detail that I never imagined. I can't see how they wouldn't discover some kind of scam.

Each schools application included a statement that any falsehood in the application/financials forms could lead to severe reprecushions, up to and including revocation of degrees earned.

While I can see the adults being cocky enough to try and scam them, the kids seem to be more rational.

Just my $.02

Edited by CryingOnTV
  • Love 3

Wow, IIRC someone called this Big Love storyline for them on here a while ago. This is absolutely crazy, never in a million years did I think Meri would give up being legal wife. I thought they'd go that "Ana storyline" route. There's obviously some financial or legal angle whether its gravy train show related or Robyn's kids related.

Even if Meri is "fine" with it, it's going to be an emotional bomb to watch. That status seemed very important to her, and its going to have massive consequences. The woman Meri supposedly brought in as an "ally" has now taken her former place, Janelle and Christine have been leapfrogged and the younger "hot" one now has all the legal protections. And even if this was for a specific reason funny how Kody has married the newest play thing, Hmmm.

In BL Bill married the one he liked the least but if he had been "forced" to marry Margene it wouldn't have escaped his notice (or anyone elses)that he has co incidentally married the one he has the most sex with.

• Love 3

Okay, so we're basically snowed in so I have too much time on my hands...

My current theory is that Robyn has not worked long enough ever to qualify for social security and she wasn't married to the ex long enough to qualify for his?

This way she can bleed Kody's at some point and Meri still can.

But then I realize this theory is predicated on Kody actually thinking ahead...and it falls apart.

• Love 8
But then I realize this theory is predicated on Kody actually thinking ahead...and it falls apart.

Plus the theory that Doofus has any right to social security.  You have to actually work and put money in to get money out.  And it has to be over a certain number of years. I don't think the TLC gig would amount to much.

Perhaps this was already under discussion and the whole PMS BS was really Christine's reaction to the hidden truth.  She couldn't say anything so she reacted to other situations.

Murder is looking more and more likely.

• Love 11

Okay, I looked it up, thus proving I currently have no life. Kody would have had to earn roughly $4800 a year for ten years total (and actually contributed to SS while doing do) to qualify for social security.

The guy is what, forty-something? Even he should have accomplished that much. Although I guess it would depend on him first, actually reporting that income, and second, paying self-employment taxes when he was "working" for himself.

ETA: I don't care how much they all like to pretend that legal marriage doesn't matter to them, this has to sting the original three and hard, particularly Meri. Her status as First Wife was clearly important to her and since they were all clawing for Kody crumbs as it was...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 7

Are most of his own kids legal Browns? Or are they "father unknown" on their birth certificates so their moms could qualify for food stamps, etc.

You know. The stuff that has kept their "superior" "lifestyle" afloat all these years (since the doofus has been unable to support his own damn family).

One of so many questions as I woke up this morning - yet another reason I really need to stop watching these creeps and liars...

• Love 3

The Gosselin divorce announcement brought in the highest ratings TLC had ever had to that point. The Browns could be hoping to repeat that magic trick. The high numbers won't hold but it could earn them a nice bonus.

You know, the fact I (and probably everyone here) can see that as a major factor merely proves that the only commitment motivating all of them is the almighty buck. Making major life decisions for the superficial reward of the moment (ratings, adoption ease, greater financial aid - whatever "logic" driving this) only adds fuel to the fire of proving there's nothing morally higher than them and their "lifestyle." Quite to the contrary.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 5

If this does has something to do with Robyn's kids, then it might come back to what was mentioned further upstream, Robyn and Kody trying to get full custody of the kids as a married couple rather than as a plyg couple. Maybe the situation is a temporary marriage until Robyn can get full custody, then they go through the whole divorce/Meri remarriage thing again. I can see them doing something like that since marriage on Earth means so little to them. But the problem is the family as a whole is still a polygamous family, regardless of the Robyn/Kody situation and David Jessop still has a good reason to keep his kids out of the situation full-time. Robyn would have to prove he is a bad father and from people on the old Sister Wives' blog have said, he's a decent guy who got out of the plyg community and away from a whacko wife (Robyn).

• Love 2

I think that legally Meri is entitled to a financial settlement after so many years of marriage even if she stays in the compound. I hope she didn't agree to this plan, whatever its reason, without some security for her future. Ok. "security" is relative in this circus, but still.

• Love 2

Anyone want to wager that this is NEVER mentioned this season?  That ensures viewers will continue to tune in to wait for some sort of discussion that will never happen and ensure another season so viewers can tune in for the fall out.  Thank heavens for the forums because I can't stomach these idiots in person.

• Love 5

Yeah, they might pull another annoying stunt similar to the most recent mid-season finale when Robyn had to "take a phone call" and it turned out to be nothing at all after several months of waiting for the next episode. 

Does anyone know when the currently airing episodes were filmed? It appears Kody and Robyn got "married" in December. This whole thing might explain Christine's bitterness towards Robyn in that TH segment that was supposedly about her not letting Christine look after her kids. 

Even though in this sort of "family" all the wives are supposed to be equal - ie, legal vs "committed" - there does seem to be a cachet with being the "first" and legal wife. I would love to be a fly on the wall and see the "real" results within the family of juggling the definitions of the first and the legal wife. Even if Meri agreed for the good of the family (whatever that "good" is) - I imagine it causes real anguish for her to know her position as legal wife has been usurped.

• Love 1

The more I think about this, the more I think they have screwed up royally (shocking, I know). It's one thing to have additional "spiritual" marriages...it's another thing entirely to demonstrate to the world that legal marriage has so little value to you that you can pass it around like a hat just for ratings or some other gain.

It's one thing to say other marriages count, too...versus saying legal marriages don't count at all.

I think they're going to lose fans over this, to the extent they exist other than rubberneckers at the trainwreck.

• Love 10

I probably should feel guilty for the giggles I'm getting reading the responses on their show FB page (on the heels of the genius "ask a bunch of questions that Kody has no intention of answering even though we're suggesting he will" idea).

But I don't.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

Wow! I have noticed that, as of late, Christine has had daggers for Robyn.  Could this be why?  Meri is always trying to placate Kody and pretend as though she's the more reasonable of the wives.  I guess she is happy with Kody going to her house for peace and quiet.  I really don't think the marriage certificate is going to change that aspect of Kody's life that much.  I think he may have done it for Robyn's kids, as well as for financial reasons.  I see Janelle remaining as aloof as always.  She's pretty practical where the other women are concerned.  It' s Christine that seems to be struggling the most, IMHO.

• Love 1

Well, karma's a bitch. I think that Meri brought Robyn into the marriage to hurt Janelle and Christine. It blew up in her face. She lost her role as legal wife.

I agree with this and also - Janelle is probably feeling pretty smug right now.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Love 7