Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: The Bed's Too Big Without You

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I saw the connection between Owen and Christina as mostly sexual - nothing else seemed to work well.  The sex was good enough that they mostly ignored everything else.  

As a very dedicated Crowen fan that I used to be this is very true, except Season 5 when it was about love,nurture,support not about sex,otherwise it was all about sexual relationship that covered layers which personality wise and their life attitude they were not able to match. In S5 they had tons of fans who gradually disappeared overtime, and that one ridiculous episode where Jo and Alex immitated the sound Crowen made during sex is an absolute proof of them being only about sex even going back from late S6 - 7 onwards.

Maybe it's because I never liked Owen and Christina together at all, but I don't even get why Owen is still so devastated.  They haven't actually been together for awhile, right?   I know they angsted about each other all the time, but they weren't actually together.

No,they weren´t,they were just "together" in bed. I don´t understand why Owen still longs for her,there is no reason. And with all my respect for Oh and McKidd the 1017 sliding doors episode was awful.

Edited by owenhuntfan

I am so disappointed in this winter season. I enjoyed the previous 18 months of shows but this most recent episode was just stupid and inconsistent. It is obvious the producers are out to prove Meredith is the sun but they are reaching too hard. Last week she is convinced a trauma patient had an obscure pancreatic cancer that caused an auto accident, really? This past week Meredith the sun queen performs a most magical resection of a huge jagged tumor invading heart and lungs, really?

What happened to the nanny from last week? Are we supposed to believe the children of two physicians live in a 24 hour day care center just like the children of Wal Mart third shifters? Really now.

I'm so disappointed in the 15 second April and Jackson scenes, their story is so short changed. She is a marvelous actress and he is pretty darn good. Their story is full of drama but the producers ruin it with the tilt to religious fervor. really?

Why does the female Dr Shepard get so much air time? She is boring and has no appeal to me.

I see there are next to no comments about this show, it is probably time to wind it down.

• Love 1

I don't love Meredith's new sister but I don't think she's crazy or pathetic just because she can't fall asleep with someone in the same bed. If you have slept alone your entire life from childhood on, it can be weird to share that space. Other people just need a lot of space in bed to fall asleep. I have a friend who has sleep issues and she tosses and turns like crazy. She really can't sleep with anyone else in the same bed. And yes, some couples have two beds but it sounded like Maggie was willing to do that and her fiancé was not (luckily my friend's husband is fine with them having separate beds so that she can get some sleep).

In the real life marriage involves compromise... In Shondaland, there is no such thing as compromise, especially if you are the sun!

• Love 1

As a very dedicated Crowen fan that I used to be this is very true, except Season 5 when it was about love,nurture,support not about sex,otherwise it was all about sexual relationship that covered layers which personality wise and their life attitude they were not able to match.

I think S5 is why I still can't bring myself to hate either Owen or the relationship overall. Everything about it was beautiful in S5. Their storyline, the way Oh & McKidd acted it, the way he seemed to be able to get and match her intensity in a way Burke never quite seemed to, the way she wanted to be OK with his PTSD but had to work through it, as did he (although it seemed like it got cured kind of like magic — at a certain point, it just wasn't an issue anymore). They were just... good together. And then it all went downhill when the writers decided to introduce all sorts of reasons why they fundamentally weren't right for each other. For which I have still not forgiven them, frankly, because I really truly loved them together in that season.

Now, to bring it back to this episode, I feel like we're still supposed to think they were soulmates or something, even though the writers made it perfectly clear over several seasons that despite their off-the-charts chemistry, they absolutely were not. That or Shonda just has one supremely effed up conception of what a soulmate relationship should look like.

• Love 3

I think S5 is why I still can't bring myself to hate either Owen or the relationship overall. Everything about it was beautiful in S5. Their storyline, the way Oh & McKidd acted it, the way he seemed to be able to get and match her intensity in a way Burke never quite seemed to, the way she wanted to be OK with his PTSD but had to work through it, as did he (although it seemed like it got cured kind of like magic — at a certain point, it just wasn't an issue anymore). They were just... good together. And then it all went downhill when the writers decided to introduce all sorts of reasons why they fundamentally weren't right for each other. For which I have still not forgiven them, frankly, because I really truly loved them together in that season.

A fellow ex-Crowen fan :), lovely words, truthful, totally agree.

Well, Owen´s journey from now on is following this episode forever stuck in memories, no escape is how I´m reading the vent scene. Plus his words "I can´t imagine belonging to anyone like that again" just engraved it into stone. Forever under Cristina´s spell. Should we feel sorry for the woman he chooses next although hesitantly? We know this show is about hook-ups after all.

Will she, whoever it will be come second forever??? 

Maybe Owen´s hope for the little happiness there is left for him is a child, not loving another woman.

Edited by owenhuntfan

I'm so disappointed in the 15 second April and Jackson scenes, their story is so short changed. She is a marvelous actress and he is pretty darn good. Their story is full of drama but the producers ruin it with the tilt to religious fervor. really?

I agree.  Someone upthread described SD as shrill and shrieking, but I think she's been playing April very restrained.  She did lose it momentarily when Jackson and her mother were arguing, but I can't blame her for that.  This couple does have fans, and I am one of them.

Now, to bring it back to this episode, I feel like we're still supposed to think they were soulmates or something, even though the writers made it perfectly clear over several seasons that despite their off-the-charts chemistry, they absolutely were not. That or Shonda just has one supremely effed up conception of what a soulmate relationship should look like.

I never hated Owen and Cristina, but I missed the season that Owen started on the show, so I wasn't crazy about them.  I recently watched a marathon of Owen's first season and I'm really liking him.  Stapling his own un-numbed wound and traching a man with a pen - pretty cool.  He seemed so much more self-assured than he does now.  That Owen didn't act awkward around women.

And finally, April's mom. Yeesh. I get that April was feeling a little like Jackson was trying to push what he wanted on her (although, to be fair, if you refuse to actually discuss it and he's the only one talking, of course it's going to feel that way), and I have zero problem with her wanting her mom around during this time, but man. That woman tried to completely and deliberately cut Jackson out of the discussion altogether, and I think that's reprehensible. I was 100% on his side in that scenario. Not necessarily about what should be done about the baby, but about the notion that it should be discussed, and that he should be involved in that discussion. Her mom's behaviour there, though? Just no. Glad that April seems ultimately to have not just gone along with the agenda her mom was pushing.

I thought April only wanted to wait until the next day, when they would find out if the baby was type I or II.  April's mother was irritating (partly for the extreme southern accent that we don't have in the Midwest), but I think Jackson's mom would be just as pushy, and would have pressured April to terminate.  I'm hoping the SL will bring Jackson and April closer.  I'm predicting the pressure will be on Amelia to save Geena Davis, so Geena can save baby Avery.

I recently watched a marathon of Owen's first season and I'm really liking him.  Stapling his own un-numbed wound and traching a man with a pen - pretty cool.  He seemed so much more self-assured than he does now.  That Owen didn't act awkward around women.

Right? Things changed radically for Owen.

Shonda "loves" Owen so much so she had him cheat and now she pairs him with Amelia - the most unlikable woman in Greys history.  Go figure this one out.

Edited by owenhuntfan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Catching up on Grey's, but I really liked this one. I was struck by the Maggie conversation about sleeping alone, because it occurred to me that just maybe we'll finally have a doctor who is genuinely not interested in a relationship (Cristina never wanted kids, but she always had love interests). Maggie sounded very happy being alone, and I liked that Meredith was reaching out to her, but maybe Maggie will be the true "heir" (heiress?) to Ellis Grey: talent too big to be tied down by something as "ordinary" as marriage.

I'm also realizing that Maggie growing on me, while Amelia makes next to no impact. In a cast not exactly filled with the biggest acting heavyweights imaginable, that actress is a lightweight, to me.

But it did occur to me that the complex surgery was all women and the emotional issue was all women, while all the men did was misinterpret women (except for the Chief) all episode. Aww, Grey's -- it's what you do best.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1
(edited)

Catching up on Grey's, but I really liked this one. I was struck by the Maggie conversation about sleeping alone, because it occurred to me that just maybe we'll finally have a doctor who is genuinely not interested in a relationship (Cristina never wanted kids, but she always had love interests). Maggie sounded very happy being alone, and I liked that Meredith was reaching out to her, but maybe Maggie will be the true "heir" (heiress?) to Ellis Grey: talent too big to be tied down by something as "ordinary" as marriage.

I'm also realizing that Maggie growing on me, while Amelia makes next to no impact. In a cast not exactly filled with the biggest acting heavyweights imaginable, that actress is a lightweight, to me.

But it did occur to me that the complex surgery was all women and the emotional issue was all women, while all the men did was misinterpret women (except for the Chief) all episode. Aww, Grey's -- it's what you do best.

I couldn´t have said it better. I knew neither of the actresses, but Kelly has natural talent and Scorsone is only trying too hard and it´s not working.

Do you really think Maggie will stay all alone?  I don´t think she would use men just for sex like Cristina or Amelia would, she strikes to me as a very tender,loving person who really likes to be in a relationship (with sb who would be OK sleeping apart). 

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

Not sure (especially since I haven't seen the rest of the episodes), but given that Shonda likes to show women in a variety of relationships, I wouldn't be surprised if Maggie was just interested in sex when she needed to "scratch an itch," so to speak. The show is heavy on the married/committed couples, with or without kids -- it would be nice to see "happily single" represented, as well. And I do think it would make sense for Ellis Grey's daughter, given Ellis Grey's personality.

• Love 1

Not sure (especially since I haven't seen the rest of the episodes), but given that Shonda likes to show women in a variety of relationships, I wouldn't be surprised if Maggie was just interested in sex when she needed to "scratch an itch," so to speak. The show is heavy on the married/committed couples, with or without kids -- it would be nice to see "happily single" represented, as well. And I do think it would make sense for Ellis Grey's daughter, given Ellis Grey's personality.

I still think she is more like Webber, we´ll see, I think she would want to be loved by a man one day again,perhaps the next guy will be just a "scratch an itch," guy like you said, because we all know Rhimes loves to use men as sex friends.