Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Some Like It Hot

• Start Topic

That article is an uncredited riff on a raft of articles on this topic which came out a few years ago, and it misstates a few things. A more accurate version is here (and it links the other articles).

http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe

On its own, though, there are far too many extrapolations for me to find it compelling (even leaving aside the assertion that an hourglass woman's size is whatever jeans her waist fits, whih any curvy woman on earth would roll her eyes at).

This is what she looked like at 5'5" and 140 lbs.

http://classicfilmsreloaded.com/images/prince-and-the-showgirl1A.jpg

• Love 2

even leaving aside the assertion that an hourglass woman's size is whatever jeans her waist fits, whih any curvy woman on earth would roll her eyes at).

Yeah, it's not my waist that means I can't zip up some jeans I try on.

• Love 3

So.. re: the preview, Helen cries like a baby.

Interesting they'd telegraph in Reality Show language that she gets through to the finale (because they'd never show that if it was her getting tossed out on her ass--it's TOO obvious).

• Love 5

Welcome back, Helen of Cry! It was only a matter of time before you went there again.

I'm pretty sure they're going to let Helen win this whole thing. Not only that, but I think Dmitry is the one to go home this week so they will have an all-female finale, especially since the previous three seasons of PRAS were won by men.

I hope I'm wrong about everything, though.

• Love 5

The dog outfits were a mess, dogs were cute though. Liked Sonja's best, Cha Cha.

Hate Michelle so much...ugh

Omg I hate her more every second

Now she is hitting on Dmitri?? Give it a rest.

Edited by Bebecat
  • Love 7

And Helen has the nerve to say Dmitry's dress looks like a dirty mop?  Delusion, thy name is Helen.

Sonjia & Cha-Cha rocked that runway.  Very cute. And a nice break from the general angst.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 7

Helen's was so blah on runway...and romantical is not a word...

And Michelle, no one wants to look like a "starlet"...gown was a bore.

I liked Sonjee's! I did not think I would. Could see Kate Hudson wearing it.

Liked Dmitri's as well.

• Love 9

Helen's could be worn as a wedding dress, if the bride wanted a dull, grey-ish basic dress.

It's a fancy slip dress - nothing memorable about that....and the color makes it even less memorable.

Isaac - this dress is NOT a "modern idea"....slip dresses have been around for ages....

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 11

Helen's would photograph really blah.

Not sure Michelle's would photograph great either.

Sonjee's the best for pictures, I think.

But I do love Dmitri's...it is an amazing one-day gown. He deserves this one.

• Love 7

ahhhh....there's the Helen we all know and love (to hate).....

What the fuck with Isaac's love affair with Helen???  He thinks every fucking thing she does is "new" or "fresh" or "modern".....what a moron....I really have no words.

And "pancho" - seriously?? 

• Love 7

I thought Sonjas dress was tacky as feck. Horrendous. But I'm glad she made finale.

I can't stand Helen so I was rootin for Michelle to get in. Both special challenge looks were boring and/or stupid.

Issac has a total hard on for Helen and Alyssa, likewise for Dmitry. (The Dmitry I get!!!)

I did like Dmitry's dog best. Lol

• Love 9

Oh give me a break...Michelle again ignored directions? And they all rave over that mess??

This show is so bad.

Dmitri or Sonjee better win...bye Michelle lol, hope to never see your mug again.

Both outfits were really awful so I would have gone by the red carpet gowns. Michelle's was far superior to that drab boring nothing designed by Helen.  Maybe it's just that I can't even stand to look at bloody knife girl.

• Love 4

I'm kind of meh on Helen, although I do like her better now than on her season.  However, I did feel for her at the end.  I myself have thought how bad it is to shred someone else's design, even a losing one.  So I'm going to give Helen some leeway here.  The dress she came up with was cute. 

I actually liked Michelle's gown, but couldn't stand her last minute look.  Talk about cheap, Halloweenish looking.  I am not sorry Michelle is gone. 

Usually I like Dimitry's dresses, but I didn't like his gown, at least the bottom. There was some weird movement around the model's ankels.  Still, I am glad he is through to the finals

• Love 1

I'm so glad she's gone! (I would have said that about either of them. )

I agree, but of the two, I think I would have rather seen Michelle stay.  I was never a fan, and thought a lot of her work was not good, but, at least Michelle's was original and different.

I cannot wait to see what kind of repetitious and redundant crap Helen pulls out of her ass for the final runway....eight looks in four days???  Pencil skirt, pencil skirt, tank top, cap sleeves, cap sleeves,.....repeat.

• Love 13

I thought Sonjia's was a little tacky too. I liked Michelle's. It was way batter than I thought it was gonna be when she was first describing that fabric. Liked Dmitry's. It also looked better than i thought it would when he first made those tea fringes. Helen's was boring and looked like a nightgown. I didn't hate any of the four though.

I found Michelle way less annoying in this episode for some reason.

• Love 4

Well, that ending was curious.

The four main dresses:

Dimitry's: I loved this dress. I thought I was way, way, way over fringe, but damn if it didn't work on this dress. I loved the subtlety of the tea dying and the graceful motion of the fringe as the model walked.

Sonjia's: I also loved this dress. It looked like a red carpet gown that would be worn by a woman wanting to stand out. The bow was gorgeous. I'm tired of that long lace over a mini skirt, but it still looked nice.

Michelle's: The model looked gorgeous, but the dress is something that's been done and done and redone. She relied entirely on the fabric. That said, she should have been safe.

Helen's: Someone glued pearls and rhinestones on a cheap dishwater colored slip. She should have gone home for this. Why didn't the judges send her packing? To pump up some drama?

The hour challenge:

Michelle: Boy, that outfit sucked. She didn't use the required number of outfits and on top of it the pieces she made were sloppy, saggy, unflattering, and just plain weird. The judges gave Helen an extra chance to stay, then Michelle gave her a free pass to the final. Why were the judges praising this steaming pile of caca?

Helen: This chick needs frickin therapy. Why were the judges falling all over themselves praising this dress? It was plain and boring, sort of like something from a reality show based on saucy, rule bending Amish girls. Drab. Depressing. Sack like. Weird neck fangs. She's lucky Michelle crashed and burned.

Dimitry and Sonjia deserved to be in the final. Helen does not. Michelle really doesn't either, but she's better than Helen.

• Love 11

I'm kind of meh on Helen, although I do like her better now than on her season.  However, I did feel for her at the end.  I myself have thought how bad it is to shred someone else's design, even a losing one.  So I'm going to give Helen some leeway here.  The dress she came up with was cute. 

I actually liked Michelle's gown, but couldn't stand her last minute look.  Talk about cheap, Halloweenish looking.  I am not sorry Michelle is gone. 

Usually I like Dimitry's dresses, but I didn't like his gown, at least the bottom. There was some weird movement around the model's ankels.  Still, I am glad he is through to the finals

I agree about Helen feeling badly, because I also kind of agreed with her.  But, then, I thought "What happens to those losing, poorly made pieces, anyway?"  Do they become the property of Project Runway, only to be stashed away in some storage unit until they are thrown away, or are they returned to the designer, who would probably trash them as soon as they are returned to them?

But, Helen's sobbing like she was at someone's funeral is just too much for me to take.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 4

Although he has won before, I really like Dmitry for the win.  His designs always look more sleek, professional, and well-tailored than any of the others.  In high-end clothing, they should be perfectly made.  Sonjia is creative but her gold gown looked a little sloppy to me.  The less said about knife-girl, the better.

• Love 4

The showrunners make me angry. $500 for fabric but a one day challenge for a red carpet dramatic gown look? NO. And then they make the time spent on such a difficult challenge even shorter by interrupting it with a "design an outfit for a dog" mini-challenge? What a waste!

It's so frustrating to me. I wanted to be dazzled and wow'ed by the gowns. I feel like we the viewers get short-changed because the designers have less and less and less time to do these kinds of challenges and then they're supposed to make it spectacular in the time allotted? It's ridiculous. They can't, and they don't, and I'm left wanting more. I said it last week and I'll say it again: I'd like to see Isaac or Georgina or any high-caliber designer try and churn out a brand new, clever, creative, stunning gown in less than 24 hours, with no help from a monster-sized team of underlings.

I liked Dmitry's dress; the construction was lovely. I liked Michelle's dress; I felt it had some decent drama, even if the style has already been done. I thought Helen's dress was pretty but way too simple and plain for the challenge; I understand what Isaac and Alyssa were saying about how stars prefer to keep it simple and avoid worst-dressed lists but it really was way too "safe" for the challenge. And Sonjia's... I really didn't like it. I liked that she thought about old Hollywood glamour and drama, I liked that she went with that really big dramatic top, but I couldn't stand the gold lamé fabric (I have never liked that kind of look) and I thought it completely clashed with the style of the skirt. And I really didn't like the choice of the lace over short skirt; it didn't seem to fit with the style of the top. I still would have voted her into the final three for all the hard work she's put in, but I really did not like her dress.

• Love 5

Michelle's: The model looked gorgeous, but the dress is something that's been done and done and redone. She relied entirely on the fabric. That said, she should have been safe.

I really liked the shape of her dress. I liked it even better when Hilary Swank wore it to the Oscars in 2005.

Any star who wore Helen's dress on the Oscars red carpet would have been on the worst dressed list.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 20

However, I did feel for her at the end.  I myself have thought how bad it is to shred someone else's design, even a losing one.  So I'm going to give Helen some leeway here.

I was initially irritated at Helen for crying until I realized I'd probably do the same. I live too much in my own head and would have no problems imagining that each designer had worked so hard and tried so hard and thought it was great and then I'd be a bawling mess too. But I'm glad that it was between Helen and Michelle because I don't like either of their personality at all and so I don't want either to win. If I had to choose between Sonjia and Dmitry, I'd have to go with Sonjia but only because Dmitry already won (didn't he?)  and I'd like someone who didn't win to have the chance.

• Love 1

One thing I wanted to add about Michelle: I feel like she was a bit of a shit-stirrer this week. I mean, I feel like she does it often, but it was really present this week. The way she immediately started in on Helen's "sparkle" not being "sparkly enough," and Dmitry needing to bring more sparkle, and just the way she kept on all three of the other designers, I felt like she was trying to get into their heads and mess with them to rattle confidence or something.

I agree about Helen feeling badly, because I also kind of agreed with her.  But, then, I thought "What happens to those losing, poorly made pieces, anyway?"  Do they become the property of Project Runway, only to be stashed away in some storage unit until they are thrown away, or are they returned to the designer, who would probably trash them as soon as they are returned to them?
But, Helen's sobbing like she was at someone's funeral is just too much for me to take.

I felt for her a little bit, because 1) I do think it's pretty shitty for them to have to chop up someone else's work, especially if it was something they knew their friend really loved and felt they did a good job on, even if it missed the judges' marks, and 2) I feel like at this point they're all super-tired, running on caffeine and not enough sleep, and when that happens, your emotions over even the seemingly silliest things can cause you to break down. It happened to Sonjia last week; this week it was Helen finally cracking. And given that she did it amidst a one-hour challenge that would be the make-it-or-break-it moment for getting into the finale, I can see why she cracked under pressure and burst into tears. It was a lot to dump on the two of them, they're tired, and they didn't even get help like they usually do on the regular Project Runway one-hour challenges where you get to borrow a fellow competitor to help you get it done. 

Given how often Helen lost it during her regular PR season, I think she did pretty well, emotionally speaking, during this All Stars season. To lose it at this point, I'm not surprised.

I really liked the shape of her dress. I liked it even better when Hilary Swank wore it to the Oscars in 2005.

Yes! That's whose dress it reminded me of! I knew it seemed familiar. Thank you!

• Love 9