Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Day I Tried To Live

Someone brought up in another thread the fact that Kai being able to siphon magic will be the way they turn Elena human again.  While I thought that might've been plausible at the time, has it been decided that he can still siphon magic now that he's integrated with Luke?  I thought that meant he absorbed Luke's magic and now he doesn't have to or can't siphon magic anymore since he has Luke's?  It seemed odd to me that the spell he was doing last night was so detrimental to him.  If he could still siphon magic why wouldn't he have just siphoned (I have no idea how to spell this word apparently) some from someone to make himself stronger so he could handle the spell he was doing last night?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Stefan and Caroline stuff was the highlight of the episode for me. It was hilarious that he refused to dig and then proceeded to get drunk because he knew it would piss her off

Was this supposed to be some sort of parallel to Damon and Bonnie's digging scene where Damon gets drunk? Of course I liked the Bamon more, I skipped right through the Steroline and Enzo/Matt stuff because I only care about Bonnie, Bamon and the Gemini coven plot. The Ghost and Bodyguard references were great and I like that Jeremy was able to push the button to save her. Finally someone lending a hand in saving Bonnie. Damon once again proved he was the guy to have around in a pinch whilst Vampire Elena proves much dumber than Human Elena, Human Elena was crafty, this new bitch sucks. We lost Katherine for this? FML! Just please tell me that Bon Bon is back next ep because this is the only ep I've watched in full since she was left crying outside the house with that gorgeous Kris Allen song playing in the background. Just to reiterate:

Tyler: don't care

Caroline: don't care

Stefan: don't care

Alaric: don't know, don't care

Liv: care but cared about Luke more plus Liv just has the worst timing ever to develop a backbone

Enzo: why are you still here?

Matt: pudding pop, you're an idiot. just tell stefan or elena what's what and they'll gladly kill enzo for you

Enzo: seriously why? i'm waiting....

Sarah Salvatore: ruuuuuun! these "people" are terrible

Damon: with every mention of Bonnie's name and interaction with Kai you become more and more the hero of this show

Elena: fthakljg;alkgjrldg;hkaghkjdjklgjklsdgkljskhfdkafljlkasj gah!

LuKai: I loved Luke, I love Kai. this will be interesting

Luke: still miss you

Jeremy: the only Gilbert with a working soul, keep using it and yes...ruuuuuuun

Bonnie: BAMF you.are.everything.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

Every time they try to get rid of Jeremy, I'm torn between, "Nope, I'm not falling for it this time, you liars" and "No! You can't leave, Jer! I love you!" 

I want Bonnie and Damon reunited. I just want to see what they act like together now, in this world.

• Love 2

Every time they try to get rid of Jeremy, I'm torn between, "Nope, I'm not falling for it this time, you liars" and "No! You can't leave, Jer! I love you!" 

I find myself torn between "Yeah right, like you'd have the guts to do it" and "Eh, it's not like he actually does anything anyway,"

Seriously, this episode is the most of actual relevance Jeremy has done for pretty much the entire season and most of the last season too if not more and even with this episode the same thing could have been done by literally anybody else in the cast. Mostly he just stands around whining about Bonnie and how much his life generally sucks for one reason or another and that's when he even appears in the first place. Matt does more than Jeremy does even if it's just being dragged around by a psycho vampire.

It's the same problem I had with Elena when she was still human really. All the bog standard humans that are mains on both of these shows don't really do much of anything except get threatened or taken hostage over and over so the rest of the characters can go out of their way to save them but otherwise just fade away into the background. The writers do a pretty terrible job of, among other things, making human characters of any importance whatsoever while still staying human on top of simply giving any good reason why any of them wouldn't jump to be turned into a vampire the first chance they got.

I don't blame Liv for wanting revenge and not caring if she dies in the process, but is this the first time we have been told that if the leader of a coven dies then all the other witches in the coven die? I don't seem to recall that bit of information before.

Way back when everyone was trying to find the cure, and had to have those three massacres, I think this same thing about a coven being linked came up? When that coven was going to kill Bonnie, and Caroline killed the leader of the coven to stop her, the whole coven dropped dead (and became the third massacre). I think the thing is that the coven has to be linked by a spell in order for the death of the leader to kill all of them, but apparently the Gemini coven is always linked by this weird twin-merge spell.

but apparently the Gemini coven is always linked by this weird twin-merge spell.

That must have been the dumbest people alive who came up with that spell to begin with: "Hey, lets link ourselves together indefinitely and seal that with a human sacrifice every generation, what could go wrong?"  Gee, let me think. What do you do when your fearless leader dies in a car accident or plane crash? Oh I know, you`ll do nothing because you, too, will have dropped dead immediately. Great plan.

• Love 2

Well yeah they're dumb. When it turned out that the twin merge thing (how did that even start?!) wasn't going to work out in 1994, because Kai was a sociopath, instead of trying to UNDO THE SPELL that required the twin merge, the Parkers just had a bunch more kids in the hopes that they'd have another set of twins. Problem solving is not their strong suit, apparently.

• Love 1

That must have been the dumbest people alive who came up with that spell to begin with: "Hey, lets link ourselves together indefinitely and seal that with a human sacrifice every generation, what could go wrong?"  

And not just any human sacrifice.  I know that people have practiced different types of human sacrifice throughout the ages, but this plot is just . . . extra creepy and nonsensical.

It's a  strangely specific sacrifice that requires you to melt into/kill your sibling, then have children until you get twins, raise the twins to (hopefully) be loving and sane and just, and then have one of the twins kill/melt into the other twin, and then make that newly traumatized and magically "new" person be the leader, knowing they will have to create children that they order to kill each other.  I'm sure that their leaders are making truly fantastic decisions while they're grieving and figuring out who they are now that they've melted into a person they're never going to see again but were raised to love.

This whole thing is weird and crazy, and boring at the same time.

Well yeah they're dumb. . . Problem solving is not their strong suit, apparently.

Well, how many of them could marry outside the coven, knowing they'd have to justify and explain their children melting together once they're supposed to take over leadership?  Can we rule out some inbreeding?  Because I'm not so sure we can. 

That alone could be responsible for a few low IQ scores in the group.

After all, it was Papa Gemini that was the merge twin.  He had two sets of fraternal twins.  The mother of fraternal twins is responsible for the twinning, not the father.  IF she wasn't specifically chosen for him out of the coven because of her family history of twinning, they either did fertility treatments or spells to get twins.

If you weren't already a part of that coven, would you marry someone planning to have child after child until you got the fabulous twin pair that you're going to raise for the specific purpose of having one of them kill the other?

Edited by Mari
  • Love 1

I'm willing to bet there are no other members of the coven; just this one family. It's like a magical version of the family from Texas Chainsaw. No wonder Kai turned out to be a sociopath, the odds were not in his favor.

• Love 4

I think it's safe to speculate that they're also uncannily likely to have twins. I don't think there's an indication that they have gazillions of kids in the hopes of eventually having twins. Do Luke/Liv/Jo/Kai have any single siblings?

But yeah, outsiders would need to be brought in to replenish their "resources." Maybe we should discuss this in the World thread?

Edited by DigitalCount

I think it's safe to speculate that they're also uncannily likely to have twins. I don't think there's an indication that they have gazillions of kids in the hopes of eventually having twins. Do Luke/Liv/Jo/Kai have any single siblings?

I think there were four single-birth kids between Jo/Kai and Liv/Luke but then Kai killed them all.

I think there were four single-birth kids between Jo/Kai and Liv/Luke but then Kai killed them all.

This, but I'd like to put in that twins can be very common in certain families, no magic necessary. My mother's cousin had a pair of twins (preemies in the USSR, poor things didn't make it), then a single girl, then twin boys. The girl has grown up, married a boy who is a twin himself, and they just had their own set of twins.