Type keyword(s) to search

Our Little Family - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay, glad someone started this. I couldn't think of clever titles with reference to little people, since this is like the 18th little person show.

I'm looking forward to it. Kids look cute. I peeped around on her Facebook, I guess they live in Annapolis. I'm wondering what this show would bring that the others haven't. I was kind of hoping to get a show of the family of 7 dwarfs they've shown a few times.

I was kind of hoping to get a show of the family of 7 dwarfs they've shown a few times.

What show is that?

Is it just me, or is there a touch of borderline hysteria in the mother at all times? lol

They seem like a nice family, but what's the point of this show? We already have Jen and Bill - who are lovely - with their gorgeous adopted kids. Will every little family in America get their own show?

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 4

First of all, I just have to ask: What the hell happened to the 7 Little Johnstons?  I was so sure that TLC was grooming them for reality stardom.  As much as I think they deserved this more than these unknown folks, they probably dodged a bullet.  Still, I really liked them.  They seemed very real marriage-wise and the way they interacted with their kids.  I also LOVED the fact that they refused to insist that the world conform to their specific needs.  Self-sufficiency (within reason, of course) is awesome.

So far, these people seem like nice, decent people.  Nothing more, nothing less at this point.  This show really begs the question of whether or not we need another show about a little family.  I thought we had the little family ground covered with "The Little Couple," but I guess not.  I do like and admire Bill and Jen, but this show feels a bit more real.  You can tell that there are no nannies or maids waiting in the wings to jump in when things get rough.  I'm not sure yet if I'll continue watching.  Still, it's kind of cool that a family that lives about 20 minutes from me in Arnold, MD (no creepiness here-- there was a story on the local news) is being featured on a reality show.  I've never seen them in my travels, though.  

Edited by SuzyLee

It seems like the mom speaks out of both sides of her mouth. On one hand she's saying she doesn't want her son to be any different from the kids at school and on the other hand she says they are unique and special. That kind of bugs because he is different and they are showing us how they deal with it.

And yes, I wondered also why the mom was on the verge of tears in her talking heads.

• Love 2

What show is that?

First of all, I just have to ask: What the hell happened to the 7 Little Johnstons?  

That one ^^^. Thank you, SuzyLee, I couldn't remember their names. I just remember there were 7 because they joked about being 7 dwarfs (Snow White). But I like watching them and the last time they were on, they had a real intro to the show, more like they filmed a series instead of a one time special.

I'm just now starting to watch this (DVR'd last night) so I'll be back to talk more about it. But....

They seem like a nice family, but what's the point of this show? We already have Jen and Bill - who are lovely - with their gorgeous adopted kids. Will every little family in America get their own show?

I know, I wonder the same at times. Little People Big World, The Little Couple, the aforementioned Seven Little Johnstons. And over on Lifetime, Little Women L.A. I know there's more, but it's early, I can't think. I guess they're trying to make dwarfism "in" much like they do with housewives and mega families/multiples.

Also, the dads voice makes me laugh a little. It sounds like those mens voices in movies from like the 40's-50's. 

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 3

I guess the point of the show was to show complete normalcy?  But yeah, that doesn't offer up much of a different perspective than what's already been done.

It turned me totally off when the mother said thank God both of the twin girls were dwarfs, as usually one is a dwarf, and the other one "normal" sized. What would she have done if one was not a dwarf, discarded her?

Something about this rubbed me the wrong way too.  I get that she wants her children to be like her, but at the same time, what about the physical issues that most little people face or the potential of teasing/bullying?  Wouldn't part of you want to spare your child from that?  It seemed like she was taking things to the complete opposite end of the spectrum like, who in the world would want to be normal sized when you can be little and we are so superior! 

• Love 3

Also, the dads voice makes me laugh a little. It sounds like those mens voices in movies from like the 40's-50's. 

LOL, I can't believe you noticed that, too. He talks with that machine-gun delivery of old film-noir.

Something about this rubbed me the wrong way too.  I get that she wants her children to be like her, but at the same time, what about the physical issues that most little people face or the potential of teasing/bullying?  Wouldn't part of you want to spare your child from that?  It seemed like she was taking things to the complete opposite end of the spectrum like, who in the world would want to be normal sized when you can be little and we are so superior! 

I didn't take it that way at all! Sounded to me like she was happy the twins would experience life on equal footing with similar challenges, and have an ally for life who 'gets it'. Mom grew up in a family of normal sized people -- maybe she always wished she had a sibling who could understand her perspective. Anyway, I'm pretty sure she would have dealt with it if one of the girls was regular sized (probably in the same semi-neurotic way she mothers the small kids, lol).

• Love 4

I keep trying to place the father's accent.  Is it maybe a mix of two areas?  

The mother is either trying to be dramatic to make the series interesting or she's too high strung for me.  I get the same vibe from this one that I did from the a few years ago little person show that it won't take.  They don't seem to really have a hook other than they are all small.  They've already resorted to staged things like going to school and the pumpkin patch.  

ETA:  I'm not sure I'll keep watching but the ratings from the first week are in.  I think they got a hefty Duggar boost first half hour.

10:01:  2.144 M viewers and a .7 rating.

10:31:  1.700 M viewers and a .5 rating.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

Well, the show is okay. I agree with the others - Mom makes drama out of everyday events. And at first I thought Jack was a lot younger as he seems to cry a lot. And Mom seems to over-react to his crying. When she mentioned Jack's nose was bleeding, he went immediately into hysterical mode. I was like... what the...?  Relax kid....

• Love 2

This "Meet The Hamills!" episode was the first, and the last episode of this show that I'll watch. Do all people with achondroplasia speak so quickly? Jen Arnold speaks really fast and so does this couple. Michelle and Dan speak rapid fire as well and I suspect that a lot of this is due to some nervousness being on TV.  I was a little surprised to see how they let the kids walk behind them in the middle of the street. Maybe there aren't many cars on that street but it sure seems that the kids should be taught that walking in the road can be a dangerous thing to do. Unlike the Arnolds, who are pretty affluent and able to afford a total custom build home with elevator for themselves, the Hamills appear to be more of a moderate income family and have to haul around their stools in the kitchen to reach things.

I get that they're wonderful people with big hearts and love their families. Speaking only for myself, I think I've seen enough of the lives and challenges of little people. People are naturally curious about the lives of families like 19 Kids and Counting, Kate Plus 8, Teen Moms and Sister Wives for a reason. People want to see what the unusual, bizarre and weird things are all about and how they live.  I'll watch anything once out of curiosity no matter how peculiar or unconventional it is because that's exactly why I give it one try. After that one time, that's enough for me. I wouldn't watch regularly because there's just too many other choices to watch.

I don't see this show as being the big hit that TLC thinks it will be. If it was the first show about 'little people' then yes it might be. It's just been done too many times to be new or novel anymore and I don't think people are going to take to it.

• Love 5

I watched two episodes of this show and am officially bored. What's with reality-show families and pumpkin patches anyway? While I think the parents are very nice people, they are awkward in front of the camera--dad's lines sound like bad acting, even for a reality show--and the kids are being (or soon will be) exploited because they are the bread and butter of this show. I do like that they are addressing some of the challenges of being little in a tall world, but reality TV is about drama, not about education. Drama must be created to keep this show on air, and the kids will likely be put at the center of it. 

• Love 4

That teacher had on quite an outfit for school.

My first reaction "What kinda of outfit is that for school!?!"  

First of all, I just have to ask: What the hell happened to the 7 Little Johnstons?  I was so sure that TLC was grooming them for reality stardom.  As much as I think they deserved this more than these unknown folks, they probably dodged a bullet.  Still, I really liked them.  They seemed very real marriage-wise and the way they interacted with their kids.  I also LOVED the fact that they refused to insist that the world conform to their specific needs.  Self-sufficiency (within reason, of course) is awesome.

I like 7 little johnstons better.  Maybe because their kids are older. 

I got a little bored with this one also.  All I can remember is the 6 year old cries A LOT.  And I don't think the parents come off as super comfortable in their TH's.  It seems really scripted. Especially with the dad. 

• Love 2

So boring. The mom and dad were just reading lines. There's nothing unique here. I mean, every mom cries when she sends her kid off to kindergarten.

Oh, and kindergarten teacher? Crazy tight mini skirt. How does she teach in that thing? With little kids you're on the floor, lifting, etc.

• Love 3

Well, the show is okay. I agree with the others - Mom makes drama out of everyday events. And at first I thought Jack was a lot younger as he seems to cry a lot. And Mom seems to over-react to his crying. When she mentioned Jack's nose was bleeding, he went immediately into hysterical mode. I was like... what the...?  Relax kid....

It was driving me crazy. I've seen people who do that when their kids fall, they panic...and it sends a child into a crying panic. As much as I would want to do that, you have to be calm with either a statement of "you're alright, let me kiss your boo boo and keep going" or do a laugh with an "oopsie!" But good God, he was saying the other kid ran him over on the bike and she's screaming and crying. And I understand wanting to make sure your kid isn't having problems reaching stuff at school, but that meeting seemed so forced. Ok, we got a view of the bathroom, stool and light pulley.

Michelle is dramatic to the nth degree. Usually I don't start not liking the main characters until half way through a season. I'm over her.  I can't remember what it was but I found myself out loud cursing her.

• Love 5

These first two episodes were the most boring TV I have ever seen. Featuring a middle class family with a average stay at home mom- there is really no hook here besides the dwarfism. If they were really wealthy (Real Housewives etc) real poor (Honey Boo Boo) but they are not- normal, average house in the cul de sac with middle america driving the mini van, Mom is stay at home mom, dad goes to work. How is this interesting? If they followed my family around when my kids were 8 4 and 2- I mean YAWN! 

The big cliffhangar- how did the husband look in the taco suit? Then they already explored one big dwarf issue- amusement park rides with the height sign. The BIG drama is the kid tripping or having a minor injury (that happens to all kids at least once a day- YAWN)

The only way this could get interesting is if Michelle has an affair with the Mr. Mom of average stature that she met at the playground.

On the other hand, for those of you Little Couple fans, it was good to see normal 3 year olds and see how they act. You KNOW that if these girls had any tantrums it would have been shown. They never had any - TLC believe me as a Toddler and Tiara fan- could film a kid for 12 hours and the one temper tantrum during that tiem would be shown so I'm going to say these twins are quite well behaved and not spoiled rotten.  I like the way the 6 year old did not throw a tantrum when asked to clean up the toy room. I like the way he said "thank you" to his mother when she brought him a stool. All in all these kids are nice and decent. YAWN! Nothing to make fun of at all. The mom is trying to carry the whole show and she is a bore alone with all the boring suburban housewife activities. I just can't.

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 4

I would hope by trying out yet another show about little people and how they live their lives which we are all becoming experts on that they might give us something fresh but it is more of the same with regard to events anyway so I guess an Easter egg hunt and a vow renewal is likely in the works if the show survives.        

What is different from the current popular little people show is the kids have friends!  Jack raced off the school bus to play with his friends and raced past his mother, YAY!  And the kids can talk and Jack even had a couple of TH's.  That kid has spunk and can express it  He was thoughtful and smart in the discussion with his mom about chores.  The kids are polite.  I also noted the kids were not focused on handheld devices to entertain themselves.  Jack was at a desktop computer at one point is all I saw...so far.  It was great to see the stay at home Mom take the kids to get hair cuts and meet a friend for lunch all without meltdowns and handhelds!   

The other thing I noticed is the kids don't seem to notice the cameras so much....yet anyway.   

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 3

I'm waiting for "My Big Fat Fabulous 600 lb Dwarf"

Add hoarder onto that and I will watch.

The show was boring, they did things The Little Couple has already done, right down to the all aboard by Jack.  There is nothing interesting about this family.The one bright spot is no Jen Arnold laugh.        

I did like the Johnston's if I had to pick one of the shows. However, I am not a fan of putting children on reality television.

The father in this show sounded Irish to me. He looked good as a taco.

• Love 1

I watched one episode (potty training). Have to agree this show is boring. I think we got what we needed to learn about little people and their challenges from Little People, Big World and The Little Couple.

The parents act stiff in their TH shots and it sounds like they are reading script. The mom is a drama queen and talks too much with her hands.

The kids are cute and I wish them luck. I don't think this show will be a big hit though.

• Love 1

Just to echo what everyone else has said--don't think this show will last.  The dad is fine but boring and obviously this was the mom's idea--he doesn't look too comfortable on camera.  The little boy is cute but wow is he a whiner!  But I like how it looks like he has a lot of 'regular' friends.  Not trying to be mean, but one of the girls looks like she is completely in her own world.  Are they identical twins?  They don't look exactly alike.

The mom is annoying.  I'm sure she means well but she is way too high strung and neurotic for me.

Observation --- is Jack's hair ever combed?  Every single scene it is just sticking out everwhere.

Edited by Joan van Snark

I've only been catching bits of this show here and there, but generally like the family. The twins in particular are adorable.

One thing that caught my eye last night is something that I've noticed before in TLC's other various shows about little people. They tend to show them doing things like climbing shelves at the grocery store with no intervention from other shoppers. The reason this baffles me is because I use a wheelchair (I'm not an LP, but seated I'm around the same height), & I can't go into a store and so much as extend my arm for something, even something well within my reach, without people trying to swoop in and "rescue" me by doing it for me. Heck, many times I don't have to even be trying to get something and people will randomly ask if I need help. It's incredibly annoying and offensive, but I rarely have a shopping trip where it doesn't happen.

So, I'd think that people would really freak out and to rush to the aid of people actually climbing the shelves, but it's never shown. I suppose it could be that the camera crews are keeping them away ("Hey, we're trying to film how they do this. Back off."). Could also be a regional thing. I don't remember where this family lives, but I'm in the south and there tends to be a lot of pearl clutching that happens over those of us who are physically atypical here (I've noted in my travels to other regions that it's not nearly as bad). I guess there are all sorts of possible reasons, but like I said, I have definitely noted that TLC seems to rarely capture any of their "stars" having encounters with ableists.

• Love 2

I will not be watching anymore either.  The name of the show should be One More Boring Family who Just Happen to be Little.

Potty Training on national television? Thanks a lot mom.    There has been absolutely nothing original about this show at all, everything has been done and done and done already on all the other little people and other reality shows.   One more family who shows little good sense about putting their kids on tv.   Money motivated, just like all the rest.

I will agree it was nice to see the little kids playing normally, not being controlled and hovered over like another show. Its probably much better and healthier to be able to run free, fall and learn where your balance is to lead a healthy and fuller life.

The little boy is a whiner I agree, but I think thanks his due to his mom for that. At least he seems to be happy most of the time with friends.

As for the shopping trip, I was grossed out by the mom climbing the shelves.  I obviously understand why she does it, but as a shopper I do not want peoples dirty shoes on the shelves where I choose food. Its not sanitary and I dont like her disregard for her fellow shoppers.

• Love 4

I enjoy the show. In my opinion, all three children act age appropriate, which is refreshing. They are apparently teaching their children to have nice manners. Jack never fails to thank a person when they do something for him. It's nice to see the father work with other men, the mother go out with her girlfriends, and Jack play with the neighborhood children. I find the mother a little annoying, but overall, I like this family a lot. I hope the show takes off. I don't find it boring at all.

I enjoy this show as well for all the points you mention in your post.  Dan working with other men, Michelle hanging out with her average-height friends, Jack playing with his average-size friends and so forth.  What I find interesting is how they adapt to an average size world.  I think Michelle talks a lot to keep the show moving, not necessarily because she's a motor mouth.  It was refreshing to see her trying to potty train the twins, who are about 3 years old; whereas William on the Little Couple show is five and still in diapers!  Watching her brother (who is probably a bachelor and definitely not a parent) not knowing what to do when the kids had a meltdown was very realistic.  He really is just big kid.  I'm looking forward to watching the kids grow, Jack get his front teeth and the girls learning to talk in full sentences. 

• Love 1

Ratings are in:  10:01   1.492 M viewers and a .4 rating

10:31   1.225 M viewers and a .3 rating.

They have a steady downward trajectory.  Four episodes in and I think they've lost half the premiere audience.  

My next door neighbor who loves most of these shows only lasted five minutes of the first episode.  I don't know when I'll get to these last two episodes.  

They live outside of Annapolis. Michelle grew up in the area & Dan is from British Columbia. I live about 1/2 hour away from them. IIRC in a local newspaper article they did on them, the original idea was to focus on Dan being a woodworker/cabinet maker but then TLC decided to focus on the family. Thought that was funny because they have barely mentioned Dan's trade, mainly in building the swing set.

I agree about Michelle standing on the store shelves & am sure the stores don't appreciate it. I have physical limitations & am usually able to find someone to help me while shopping. Especially when they showed Jack getting the yogurt, there was a delivery man right near him whom I'm sure would have helped.

• Love 2

There is a liability issue for the store if  people climb the shelves and they much prefer people get help.  I sometimes have issues and store managers have sent a stock person with me to make sure I don't have problems.  

Thanks so now I know Dan's accent.  I thought I heard some BC in there.  :)

• Love 2

I agree about stepping onto the store shelves.  Yet Michelle talked about it like she was proud of it and she encouraged the kids to be independent too and not rely on others.  I get the independence but not when it is unsafe (shelves collapsing) or unsanitary.  Outside shoes that walk through animal urine and feces then step onto shelves where bread or canned goods are stored then that gets transferred to your kitchen counter then to your can opener?  And when Jack climbed into the dairy case for the yogurt there was an employee standing nearby who watched him do it and did nothing.    

• Love 3

If the shelf collapses and anyone (the climber or an innocent bystander) is injured, the store is liable...another reason shelf climbing is frowned upon.

people will randomly ask if I need help. It's incredibly annoying and offensive,

I will admit to the apparently "offensive" crime of offering assistance to people.  Not trying to imply they *can't* do something, just trying to be helpful. 

This show is kind of bland.  The kids are cute but that's not enough to make it must see TV for me.  (And Zoe Klein is just so much cuter.)

• Love 6

I agree! I didn't like the shoes on shelves and so close to the yogurt.

I didn't like seeing potty training. Talk about it, ok. I just find it off putting for a few reasons.

I'd like to know where the mother in particular buys her clothes and/or how much she has items altered.

The only interesting thing about this family is they're little, and that's not enough. Michelle is a little shrill and seems to have a bit of a chip on her shoulder. Dan is OK, but I don't even find the kids especially pleasant.

What is TLC's deal? Is the goal to find the "new" Roloffs? Isn't it a bit demeaning to little people to assume they should have their own shows just because they're little? Jen Arnold is extraordinary and the story of Bill and Jen and their kids is compelling; really, the fact that they're little is rather secondary. Dan and Michelle and their family don't interest me in the least.

That little boy has quite the mouth on him when he's playing soccer.... lol   how many times did he call everyone "suckas"??? 

I imagine the store employee maybe knows the family or was told by the film crew to let them film it. Or they're the average person and don't like confrontation or reprimanding a kid.  I don't understand why the mom is so against the grabby things to get stuff down from a high self. I imagine they are MUCH SAFER. yes, let's teach your kids to climb all over flimsy shelves. 

• Love 4

I'm just now watching the show and her total dismissal of using grabbers and teaching the kids to climb on the refrigerators really bothers me.  It's both dirty and dangerous.  When she so nonchalantly discussed breaking the stores shelving, that was a big red flag for me.  She cares more about herself than other people and their property.  She thinks nothing of getting dirt and germs on the shelves or the refrigerators and she apparently thinks nothing of the liability on either side of climbing unstable shelves and breaking them.  She should be responsible for the cost of the shelves and the store would likely have some liability if she injured herself.

• Love 4

Now we have the contrast/other side of the "making adjustments" coin - on one side, the Arnolds have a house that is adapted to their needs. This family rejects adapting, as if it's a sign of weakness, and wants to show that they're just regular folks. 

I come down on the side of adaption. Better to make your living environment as safe and as comfortable as possible, then to live in an environment that's not suited to your needs. I wonder if, in the second or third or fourth season, they will also build a house that's customized? Thanks to the TLC Gravy Train. 

(I'm short, not a little person, but I reached my height of 5 feet tall at age 10, and never grew another inch. Sometimes I have to go around my well-stocked supermarket aisle by aisle, asking someone taller than me to reach an item on a shelf. If an employee isn't around, I'll ask another shopper. No big deal.)

• Love 4

Now we have the contrast/other side of the "making adjustments" coin - on one side, the Arnolds have a house that is adapted to their needs. This family rejects adapting, as if it's a sign of weakness, and wants to show that they're just regular folks.

The house is a different story and can't be compared to "making adjustments" outside of that.  The family has rejected adapting the inside of their home (for now) but no family no matter how much money they have can make adjustments to grocery stores or public places.    

I am glad you appreciate being offered assistance and asking for help.  Offering help isn't offering pity....it is simply trying to make someone's day a little easier.     

• Love 6

I'm still thinking about the fridge thing. I'm 5'4" and NYC grocery stores have higher shelves and narrow aisles to make the most use of space. At least 3 shelves are above my head and two above my reach. I've never tried or witnessed anyone asking for help under the age of 143. After thinking about it, the climbing is gross, but I'm fascinated by the social norms I live with.

I have my story to tell as I'm only a hair over 5' and have lived with a disease that causes arthritis pain for over 35 years so climbing isn't an option for me.  The grocery store where I'd shopped for maybe 20 years remodeled and added an extra shelf or two in height to make more use of it's smaller than average footprint - much like NY.  I told the manager that I would no longer shop there as it was too impractical.  He offered zero apology or assistance.  He was around 6'5".  So I began shopping at a different chain.  They are night and day.  The shelves are lower and the aisles are wider.  I didn't have to ask for assistance.  An asst manager noticed me struggling and got a stock person to push the cart and get what I wanted.  If I go through the store by myself and there are things I can't reach, I give the list to an asst manager and they go get them or have someone go get them.  If the cart gets too heavy, they get someone to push it.  I've had managers finish my shopping because they thought I looked too tired.  They would have fits if they saw someone climbing their shelves.  I did go into the store that made the gigantic shelves again and with their next remodel, they had the shelving closer to what is a normal level here.  

I understand the wish to be independent if possible, but I also understand that people's offers of assistance are meant to be polite and helpful.  A rude person won't offer help in my experience.  As someone who needs help sometimes, I take the offers at face value and accept or reject with a smile and thank you.  

• Love 10

I have no height or medical issues, but where I shop their policy is to help, even if you dont need it.   They ask how you are, the stock people are happy to go to the stockroom for you, they will order something they do not have and so on.

I can never reach the pet food I need at the Pet store so I always ask an employee to help. They have those big stair/ladder things they use.    I am much younger than 143 and never hesitate to ask for assistance, after all that is part of a sales job.

If I see someone trying to reach something and they cant, I would offer my help.   I had no idea that some people think its rude and offensive.   

I always hold or open a door for people.    I see that as being raised with manners, not trying to irritate anyone.  Geesh.

• Love 7

So the preview shows mom freaking out about people taking pictures. If you're walking around with a camera crew, that sort of thing happens, right?

I know!!!  What was up with that??  You are on tv now, there is a film crew following you around and you are screaming at people to not take your picture?!  And are all the husbands in these little couples the same?  My little taco reminds me of Bill, sit back and say nothing and let the wife do all the talking!