Type keyword(s) to search

Eve's Marathon Diary: Family Matters

Primetimer

. (I could also talk about how short-sighted Stringer was to assume the cell phone market was saturated and to dump his wireless carrier stock, but who in 2003 expected the iPhone?)

Even if no one suspected the iPhone, it seems kind of dumb not to realize that technology is always changing, and things people buy always need to be replaced. I mean look at things like computers or TVs. Even when people generally had them, they always needed new ones, and many always wanted another, a bigger or a better one. 

Then again this is just further evidence of the fact that Stringer is a dumbass playing at being smart. I mean he seemed to be taking basic community college economics, and yet anytime he would talk to the other guys in the Barksdale organization (guys who probably didn't finish high school) he was acting like he was Warren Buffet or something.  Plus this was also the guy who thought it would be a good idea for Barksdale crew members to get anywhere near Orlando, after they knew he had gotten out of jail. 

I wouldn't say Omar is a sociopath. Omar has feelings, he has relationships and bonds with people that aren't just for selfish gain. He certainly feels fear, something that sociopaths don't, even if he is reckless and is a career criminal. But yes, Omar's courtroom testimony is amazing and hilarious. Especially when he is cross-examined.

• Love 1

I don't think Stringer is dumb--I think both he and Avon have to be smart to get as far as they did, and to run their organization, and we see the wheels turning, the steps they take to keep ahead of the cops and their competition. But he knows he's smart, and he's so sold on his plan of passing as a legitimate businessman that he falls into traps he shouldn't have; like getting suckered into handing Clay Davis wads of money on faith and getting nothing back. Levy flat-out tells him "Why didn't you come to me first? I would have told you it was a scam."

In the end, I think Stringer is so used to being the smartest guy in the room in his own world that he fails to see what he lacks in wisdom and experience in the citizens' world.

• Love 1

In the end, I think Stringer is so used to being the smartest guy in the room in his own world that he fails to see what he lacks in wisdom and experience in the citizens' world.

It is kind of a weird thing. Stringer at least thinks he is the smartest guys in the room, but he is surrounded by people with no education (the stuff like the Roberts Rules of Order and schooling the copy shop guys on elastic and inelastic products just seemed like showing off). You are right he doesn't have the experience in the citizens world to know that Davis was scamming him. At the same time he doesn't seem to have the experience in the drug world that Avon does. I still remember the scene in the bar where Avon looked almost disappointed that he didn't know they needed to stay as far away from Orlando as possible (it seemed like it would have been so obvious to Avon).

I wouldn't say Omar is a sociopath. Omar has feelings, he has relationships and bonds with people that aren't just for selfish gain. He certainly feels fear, something that sociopaths don't, even if he is reckless and is a career criminal. But yes, Omar's courtroom testimony is amazing and hilarious. Especially when he is cross-examined.

I agree. Omar was a criminal, but he only victimized other criminals, never used profanity and took his grandmother to church once a month.

I think the jury believed him because he was so upfront and unfiltered about how he made his living. It was ironic that him buying the red outfit instead of a suit with the SAs voucher made him more, rather than less credible to the jury. It is funny that the only thing he lied about was witnessing the murder.