Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Holy Escamoly!

susannot
  • Start Topic

I dunno.  To me, it's problematic when you assign yourself a role as a representation or a model or an example.  Just do your thing and let others decide if they want you to represent them.  Some things should come from external sources.  YMMV, of course.  It seems the world (or maybe just the internet) is full of people taking on aggrandized roles for themselves. 

Anyway, Mei is probbably just responding to the producers' relentless questions about winning as a woman.

Representing =/= a model =/= example.  Those are all different concepts, and by ruling them all out, it's like saying that no one can ever seem themselves in a larger context beyond their own experience, which I don't really think is either possible or realistic, especially for someone who is both a woman and a member of a minority ethnicity.  I doubt that Mei sees herself as a role model, but I do think she sees herself as someone who can represent the great work that a lot of other women do in restaurants across the country.  I don't really see why it is so much more superior for an external force to designate you as representing a larger group of people rather than taking the mantle on it for yourself.

This is, of course, the challenge that women (and that individuals from other minority groups) face - anytime they talk about their achievements or their experience in the broader context of social challenges, they are always told they shouldn't do that because it makes someone else uncomfortable.  So that's why you end up with Stephanie Izzard, who I very much like, downplaying the fact that it was significant that she was the first woman to win Top Chef.  Because IMO it makes people uncomfortable to confront inequality of all kind.  Personally, I am glad that Mei isn't ignoring the elephant in the room regarding gender diversity on TC, and to some extent, I am surprised that TC has aired her comments, since I feel as if they have often downplayed or ignored it.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 7

I have no issue with Gregory sticking with Thai food as his flavor profile.  I do have an issue with lackluster performances that put him in either the middle or near the bottom in the back half of the season.  I mean, I think he is a talented chef and all, but the idea that he is so much more talented than Mei isn't at all borne out by the results of the season overall.  I feel as if Mei has been the more consistent chef over the entirety of the season - she never had a bad stretch, like Gregory did, even if she did have a lower rated dish or two - than Gregory.

That's certainly a valid point of view to think the more consistent contestant is the "more deserving" winner.  But that's not the judging criteria for the Top Chef finale. It has always been about who cooks the best last meal.  

For me, on paper, Gregory should probably be considered the favorite to win. He has the momentum. Based on editing (or my interpretation of the editing), his "highs" have been very high where the regular judging panel and guest judges appear to be quite blown away by his dishes.  His "lows" don't seem to be that bad.  More like he's cooking only good dishes when the others are cooking excellent dishes.  He also has the better resume with executive chef experience which might give him an advantage in the final challenge.

But that's all on paper. It comes down to who cooks the better meal in the final challenge. We'll see what happens. I don't have a favorite. I think this season's cast has been underwhelming overall.

• Love 1

I don't blame Mei for this, because as others point out, she is probably responding to producers' questions designed to create conflict and drama. But I'm tired of hearing commentary on shows that sounds like X minority group hasn't won random reality show = some type of oppression. Yes, there is a lack of gender equality in the culinary world, and I know of at least one woman personally who had to find a different career because she couldn't personally reconcile it. The self importance of reality show commentary really brings me down though. A woman winning a reality show that has been on the air for 9 years isn't exactly striking down a major obstacle for women's rights.

That being said, go Mei! Whatever inspires/motivates you, hang onto it.

• Love 4

I don't really see why it is so much more superior for an external force to designate you as representing a larger group of people rather than taking the mantle on it for yourself.

This is, of course, the challenge that women (and that individuals from other minority groups) face - anytime they talk about their achievements or their experience in the broader context of social challenges, they are always told they shouldn't do that because it makes someone else uncomfortable.  

This brings up an interesting (to me) philosophical question.  Is humility as a valued virtue the privilege of the majority?  Or, maybe the question is, what role can personal humility have in marginalized or oppressed groups?  It seems that what is usually seen as a virtue in one group (say, Doug's self-effacing manner) can be interpreted as self-subjugation in the disenfranchised.

Oh how I wish we lived in a meritocracy, but alas we do not.  And most certainly not on reality TV!

• Love 4

That's certainly a valid point of view to think the more consistent contestant is the "more deserving" winner.  But that's not the judging criteria for the Top Chef finale. It has always been about who cooks the best last meal.  

For me, on paper, Gregory should probably be considered the favorite to win. He has the momentum. Based on editing (or my interpretation of the editing), his "highs" have been very high where the regular judging panel and guest judges appear to be quite blown away by his dishes.  His "lows" don't seem to be that bad.  More like he's cooking only good dishes when the others are cooking excellent dishes.  He also has the better resume with executive chef experience which might give him an advantage in the final challenge.

But that's all on paper. It comes down to who cooks the better meal in the final challenge. We'll see what happens. I don't have a favorite. I think this season's cast has been underwhelming overall.

I'm uninterested in the debate of who is "more deserving" - IMO, no one "deserves" to be in a televised cooking competition, let alone to win it.  Regardless of what TC's judging is, as a viewer, I can make my own assessments as to who I think is the better chef.  Personally, I think that Mei is the most consistent chef, and while Gregory may have "momentum," Doug's loss - after winning three times in a row - should show that momentum in TC is basic meaningless.  My only arguments are that a). I think a lot of people were dazzled by Gregory at the beginning of the season, and therefore are underplaying Mei's chances and b). the idea that Mei is there because of political correctness, because they dare chose her over Doug, isn't really supported by the evidence.

I don't blame Mei for this, because as others point out, she is probably responding to producers' questions designed to create conflict and drama. But I'm tired of hearing commentary on shows that sounds like X minority group hasn't won random reality show = some type of oppression. Yes, there is a lack of gender equality in the culinary world, and I know of at least one woman personally who had to find a different career because she couldn't personally reconcile it. The self importance of reality show commentary really brings me down though. A woman winning a reality show that has been on the air for 9 years isn't exactly striking down a major obstacle for women's rights.

That being said, go Mei! Whatever inspires/motivates you, hang onto it.

I certainly don't think not winning a reality show is a type of oppression. I do, however, believe that not winning a reality show is indicative of the kinds of biases that still exist in our society.  It doesn't make much sense to me to believe that industries that have issues with sexism, racism, homophobia or what have you in real life wouldn't have those biases reflected in a reality show.  So as far as I understand the restaurant industry, it is a pretty sexist industry - therefore, it doesn't surprise me at all that TC has displayed that bias over its history.  And yes, in my view, a woman acknowledging that reality on a show that reflects her industry is a good thing (as is there being another female winner). Is it the most important thing or a huge blow for gender equity? Probably not.  But the older I get, the more I think that the small blows should be acknowledged - they are the ones that likely actually lead to permanent change.

• Love 4

I think it's basically absurd to think that there is a "politically correct" choice between an Asian-American woman and a gay black man, given how overwhelmingly male AND white the ranks of "elite" chefs are. 

• Love 5

I wont even be watching the finale.  Doug was the most creative and passionate chef on the show.  

I don't know if I agree with the idea that he was materially more creative or passionate than any of the others.  There was a lot of creativity and even more passion for food in this batch.

What I do know is that Doug was very, very likable.  If he is up for it, I think he could carve out a little bit of a side career for himself in TV.

• Love 2

I'm uninterested in the debate of who is "more deserving" - IMO, no one "deserves" to be in a televised cooking competition, let alone to win it.  Regardless of what TC's judging is, as a viewer, I can make my own assessments as to who I think is the better chef.  Personally, I think that Mei is the most consistent chef, and while Gregory may have "momentum," Doug's loss - after winning three times in a row - should show that momentum in TC is basic meaningless.  My only arguments are that a). I think a lot of people were dazzled by Gregory at the beginning of the season, and therefore are underplaying Mei's chances and b). the idea that Mei is there because of political correctness, because they dare chose her over Doug, isn't really supported by the evidence.

I don't think anyone is really making those arguments.  And not everything has to be about sexism.  There are a whole host of reasons why some might prefer Gregory, some might prefer Mei, and some might prefer Doug.  Some are rooting for Mei partly because she is a woman. That's fine.  Or should I call bullshit because it's a gender-based reason and that particular reason has nothing to do with whether she is a good cook.  No, because we viewers can all have our reasons.  It's an edited show where no one except the judges can taste the food.  The one thing that matters the most is the thing that viewers can't directly judge themselves.  Instead we are influenced by personalities, the contestants' paths on the show, the way the dishes are described and plated, the cuisines, the way the judges' comments are edited.  Not that likes/dislikes even need to be this rational.  We just like what we like. 

Reminds me of the whole Nick/Nina controversy last season.  Which basically boiled down to people not liking Nick's personality and thinking he was not deserving because of his inconsistency. And oh, the judges' decision must be because of a gender bias. Not that he might have cooked the better meal in the one challenge that matters. 

• Love 4

I don't think anyone is really making those arguments.  And not everything has to be about sexism.  There are a whole host of reasons why some might prefer Gregory, some might prefer Mei, and some might prefer Doug.  Some are rooting for Mei partly because she is a woman. That's fine.  Or should I call bullshit because it's a gender-based reason and that particular reason has nothing to do with whether she is a good cook.  No, because we viewers can all have our reasons.  It's an edited show where no one except the judges can taste the food.  The one thing that matters the most is the thing that viewers can't directly judge themselves.  Instead we are influenced by personalities, the contestants' paths on the show, the way the dishes are described and plated, the cuisines, the way the judges' comments are edited.  Not that likes/dislikes even need to be this rational.  We just like what we like. 

Reminds me of the whole Nick/Nina controversy last season.  Which basically boiled down to people not liking Nick's personality and thinking he was not deserving because of his inconsistency. And oh, the judges' decision must be because of a gender bias. Not that he might have cooked the better meal in the one challenge that matters. 

Yes, you've already said "not everything is about sexism" before.  But some things are about sexism and despite your assurances they are not, I am going to trust my lived experience over your insistence that gender-based reasons don't exist for why women sometimes don't succeed.  And yes, some people have made the argument that Mei is there because of "political correctness." Not sure how you missed those posts, but they most certainly are there.

• Love 3

There's been maybe a mention or two, but mostly people who have said that they are tired of the "Mei wants to win because she's a women" theme that replayed itself over the course of this episode.  Different things.  But let's make everything about sexism.

And if Gregory happens to win next week, surely sexism will play a role, right?  The problem with people making these arguments over and over again with no real basis is that when a woman does win, people will start thinking that it can't simply be merit-based.  It must be a response to all these sexism complaints.  I think a lot of these sexism accusations actually end up being counter-productive.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 5

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions earlier, first off. As to the Mei/Gregory thing, I'm not sure what to think. I think Mei SHOULD win, but I also think Greg WILL win. Just the way of things. If it is one thing I've noticed over the years, it is that the TC judging is often inconsistent. But at the end of the day no matter how prestigious the title, it is still a (heavily edited) reality show. I still cringe when I think back to the finale of Seattle. All (most?) the previous winners were there and Tom, I believe, asked Stephanie if she would mind since she had to share her tiara. If you want to make a pitch for sexism, that would do it.

• Love 2

Hey, folks, regarding the sexism/representation/etc., conversation, I'm pretty sure we have a dead horse on our hands now.

Also, people are starting to repeat themselves.

So let's move the conversation along.

Thanks! 

• Love 10

I have to say, I don't usually notice the decor of places they are serving in, but I loved that tiled indoor courtyard or whatever it was and the rustic wood table with the muted table runner down the middle.  Except I realized in my own house the cracks in the rustic wood would get filled with crumbs and darned if I'm going to vacuum my table--I have enough trouble getting around to vacuuming my floors!  

• Love 5

I think "difficulty" is in the eyes of the beholder and depends on one's experiences and preferences. Mexican cheese may not be a difficult ingredient but clearly it and the escamole were less desirable ingredients for this group of contestants.

I think the difficulty with the Mexican cheese is in making a refined dish with it. I think it can be harder to elevate a more common ingredient like cheese. I love cheese, but I don't really see it used much in a lot of Top Chef recipes since it's so common.

• Love 1

Yay Gregory! I'm so happy for him! The judges were positively raving about his dishes.
I thought Mei deserved to go based on this challenge alone, even though she was great in the previous ones. Dougie got the toughest ingredients and was a good sport about it. Oh well, I wouldn't want someone from LCK winning so maybe it was for the best.

Greg for the win!

• Love 1

I knew Doug was screwed when he got stuck with cheese and escamole. I'm fine with Gregory and Mei as the final two - but IMO, it's not as hard to elevate/showcase poblano pepper when you've likely eaten it dozens of times. At least Doug got props for his queso plate.

Nice to see, too, that despite the initial rivalry between Gregory and George, they became friends.

I think that to varying degrees, all of the chefs got one "easy" and one "hard" ingredient. Mei arguably got one of the easiest ingredients with the avocado, and made with it one of the unpopular dishes of the challenge. In TC history, it is often the socalled easier ingredients that get a chef sent home, because they don't always inspire the same creativity. There is so much footage we don't see, but it is possible Doug volunteered to take escamol because he felt confident having Katsuji on his side.

As a woman, I'm thrilled Mei made it to the finale. But the way she was going on and on about a woman winning, I thought for sure she was doomed. She may be yet, I think Greg is coming on strong by spending his downtime working on Mexican cuisine. I'd love for either of them to win.

Padma blew me away with her interpretation skills, I had no idea she was so fluent in Spanish. Blais sticking his face in his food reminded me of my nephew....who's a kid. Sniff it when it's on your fork, dude, you look like an idiot. I was hoping Gail would have been there, wearing something really pretty. She is by far the best-dressed of any of the women judges who appear on this show, in my opinion. Which has nothing to do with food, I know, but I always look forward to seeing what she wears.

I'd watch the Doug & Katsuji show too! They are so cute together. Katsuji has a bromance with a guy who is shorter than he is. :)

Don't forget that Mei staged at a Mexican restaurant.

There is so much footage we don't see, but it is possible Doug volunteered to take escamol because he felt confident having Katsuji on his side.

He definitely did not volunteer to take either of his items. He was a deer in the headlights and froze, which is basically what they admitted when standing in front of the Judges table at elimination after Mei's ridiculous comment.

• Love 1

Even before the ingredients selection occurred, Doug seemed "off" somehow. He was grumpy heading to the quickfire even before they knew what they were supposed to do, for example. And he hadn't previously been a complainer. He just seemed unfocused and out of sorts from the first minute.

• Love 5

I'd feel bad for Doug if the other two had run in there, looked at the ingredients, and immediately staked their claim.  Instead they stood around tasting and talking, and then spoke up, while Doug didn't.  Then he grumbled more than outright saying he wanted them to go back and do things differently.  It would have been more sporting to pick one ingredient at a time rather than claiming both at the same time.  But with no rules on how to decide who got what, it was all rather congenial. 

• Love 3

That drove me bonkers. I hate lack of continuity/choppy editing.

There was also a brief cut of Mei at the dining table with her coat's "Top Chef" logo reversed, so obviously they had flipped the image for some reason.

If they're looking for changes to freshen up the product, how about going to blind taste-testing in future seasons?  It would change how some of the challenges would need to be structured, but it would alleviate some of the more obvious biases.  You can talk all you want about how each challenge stands on its own, but you can't un-remember your opinions of the chef's previous work.

That, and get rid of Blais.  Why has Gail always been a part-time judge?  Has anyone, anyone, ever said, "We're seeing too much of Gail Simmons?"

• Love 2

I wanted a Doug/Mei finale because I thought that Gregory had been off his game and playing it safe way too long.  He lost his mojo on the Thanksgiving challenge when he took a big risk by cooking the goose and it didn't pay off.  That was episode 6 and he had been performing poorly (middle or bottom) and playing it safe until last week's episode, which was episode 13.  That's half the season, so, I wasn't convinced (and I'm still not convinced) that he is at the same level as other contestants.  For me, consistency is an important factor when I decide for whom to root.  A restaurant can not survive if the menu has two great dishes and 10 average ones.

That said, it seems he cooked the best dishes of the night, and the rules are that the chef with the best dishes gets to move forward in the competition, so, I can't begrudge him that. 

All the same, I was gutted watching my two favorites waiting for the PYAG message (sniff!).  I hope this experience really helps Doug in his career and I wish him all kinds of success in the future.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mei will be amazing in the finale and take the prize.  Go, Mei!!!

In other news, as good as Padma's Spanish was, she made a fatal translating mistake when she said that the Mexican chef said he was emotional.  The word he used was "emocionado", which most properly translates as "excited", not "emotional".  Big difference.

The food that makes me wonder that is cassava/yuca. Ask yourself how hungry you have to be to try soaking this root a little longer and letting it ferment when all the people who tried to eat it so far have died of cyanide poisoning. Same question with fugu, I guess.

You are confusing cassava with gari.  Cassava is a tuberous root, like the sweet potato.  You probably have already eaten it since Cassava, when dried to a powdery (or pearly) extract, is called tapioca.

In many countries in Latin America and the Caribbean it is eaten as a side dish (like regular potatoes).  It's starchy and filling, but it also has lots of fiber, no cholesterol, no fat, and, surprisingly, a moderate carb content.  In Venezuela (where I was born) it's common to eat boiled yuca with "mojo", which is pronounced "mo-hoh" (a vinaigrette made with oil, garlic, parsley and vinegar) as in this recipe .  Sometimes we eat it with guacamole too.  It's also common to make yuca fries using cold boiled yuca cut into sticks and then frying it, as in this recipe. Another great way to eat yuca is in a bread called Casabe, see this recipe for more info; it's a great vehicle for any dip and very easy to make.

Gari, OTOH, is the fermented, flaky version of cassava.  Not all cassava is the same! ;-) 

I think the difficulty with the Mexican cheese is in making a refined dish with it. I think it can be harder to elevate a more common ingredient like cheese. I love cheese, but I don't really see it used much in a lot of Top Chef recipes since it's so common.

I agree.  I thought Greg got the easiest ingredients with Poblano chiles and guava, but he did take a big risk with a cold guava soup.  That was creative.

I thought Doug and Mei were in the same situation with regards to the difficulty of their ingredients.  Avocado and cheese are very common and a bit hard to elevate.  I guess Mei could have done an avocado ice cream, but that's nothing new in the culinary world.  Fungus and ant eggs  are equally hard, I think.  I should have seen that the call would be down to Doug vs. Mei based on that alone.

If they're looking for changes to freshen up the product, how about going to blind taste-testing in future seasons?  It would change how some of the challenges would need to be structured, but it would alleviate some of the more obvious biases.  You can talk all you want about how each challenge stands on its own, but you can't un-remember your opinions of the chef's previous work.

I don't see how.  Even in a blind taste, they'd know who the winning chef was and that would color their opinions of the chefs going forward.  I also happen to agree with Tom C. that by the third or fourth challenge they would know based on flavor profiles, CV, and plating choices who cooked each dish.

Why has Gail always been a part-time judge?  Has anyone, anyone, ever said, "We're seeing too much of Gail Simmons?"

I don't think anyone has ever said that :D.  But isn't Gail a food editor?  She probably has other commitments for the job she has when she's not on TC, which is most of her year.

That, and get rid of Blais. 

I guess I'll be the representative of the unpopular opinion, but I like Richard.  And while I'm at it, I was rooting for Nick over Nina (and now I'll duck to avoid all the objects being thrown in my direction).

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2

You are confusing cassava with gari. Cassava is a tuberous root, like the sweet potato. You probably have already eaten it since Cassava, when dried to a powdery (or pearly) extract, is called tapioca.

Nope, don't think I am :)

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Nope, don't think I am :)

But that's only when it's not properly soaked and dried. There's no danger to Americans (or South Americans, for that matter).  It's as harmful as the almonds you buy in the supermarket.  You made it sound as something a bit more insane in your OP :D 

Edited by WearyTraveler

I still cringe when I think back to the finale of Seattle. All (most?) the previous winners were there and Tom, I believe, asked Stephanie if she would mind since she had to share her tiara. 

It was Gail who said that.

I wanted a Doug/Mei finale because I thought that Gregory had been off his game and playing it safe way too long.  He lost his mojo on the Thanksgiving challenge when he took a big risk by cooking the goose and it didn't pay off.  That was episode 6 and he had been performing poorly (middle or bottom) and playing it safe until last week's episode, which was episode 13.  That's half the season, so, I wasn't convinced (and I'm still not convinced) that he is at the same level as other contestants.  For me, consistency is an important factor when I decide for whom to root.  A restaurant can not survive if the menu has two great dishes and 10 average ones.

Yes, I understand the consistency factor. Though for me, Gregory looked like he was performing a step above everyone else for the 1st half of the season, then merely came down to Earth in the 2nd half. A couple of his bottom appearances were more about not following the challenge parameters that well, but he was still cooking very good food on par with the others.

That was my impression at least. I think Gregory's average may be higher than the other contestants' average.  

• Love 5

I guess I'll be the representative of the unpopular opinion, but I like Richard.  

For me, it's not just about Blais himself, but I'm not sure that anyone who's a former cheftestant should be a judge.  But Blais just seems so much like the dorky little kid who's finally been allowed to sit at the big kids' table that I can't forget his previous lives on TC.  FWIW, I also think that Hughnibrow was very fortunate that after he was cut in the first or second round (I can't remember), another TCM competitor dropped out and allowed Hugh to continue, or nobody would have been clamoring for his judge services, either.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 1

I'd really be happy with a win by any of the top three. They're all remarkably talented chefs and pretty darn likable. And as a lifelong Portlander, I'm so excited to see my city represented so well!

I really love Doug...he seems like my kind of people. I loved his "Nice talk, Mei" when she basically ignored him during a challenge last week, and also his crankysnarky "YOU'RE a great cheese chef" response to Gregory's encouraging and somewhat condescending comment. I'm bummed that he had a low point at this crucial place in the competition, but it happens to the best of us. Dougie, when you're back in Portland, I'll buy you a beer, let's hang!

Also, seriously, shut up Blais.

Edited by Iseut
  • Love 2

FWIW, I also think that Hughnibrow was very fortunate that after he was cut in the first or second round (I can't remember), another TCM competitor dropped out and allowed Hugh to continue, or nobody would have been clamoring for his judge services, either.

I'm never clamoring for his judging services. I didn't watch his season but have seen him enough on the show on the episodes I've watched that he just annoys me to no end.

• Love 1

RE: Noreaster....Thanks for clearing that up though Gail saying it makes it almost worse, that comment still made me cringe. What would they have said to a guy, "hey, you ready to share your TC undershorts?". I just thought it was a bit much, is all.

I've been watching the Blais hate this season as he's judging, and for me, I don't hate him, but he's gone from a Tintin adorable dork to sort of a smarmy know it all (reminds me of Ilan). I don't know if it is because he was pushed so hard to happen or he really is that way now but...it is a bit disconcerting and not at all as he seemed to be in his first seasons. Kind of disappointing, really. I've seen Nyesha a lot and I hope they aren't trying to push her, too, though she is really good. I wish she hadn't been eliminated when she was. She could have gone very far.

Re Doug's performance: I have a different take that I haven't seen here yet.  Doug looked so "down" to me from the start of the show.  Then, did you notice how he squinted his eyes and closed one eye almost completely?  At first, I thought the sun was in his eyes, but he continued to do that throughout the episode, even in the dark times.  Then, after the threesome had chosen their foods, they turned and walked down some steps.  It was then that Doug said to no one in particular (I'm paraphrasing), "Don't let me have more than TWO beers tonight!  Only TWO!!!"  Voila!  Then, 

it hit me -- Dougie had a hangover!  The night before this show, Doug had won again and was so excited.  I had a feeling he went out with the gang and celebrated just a little too much on that Mexican beer -- or whatever he drank.  On several occasions throughout the show, Doug has talked about college and beer-drinking, almost as a thing of pride but certainly as something to laugh about.  I wouldn't say it's probable, but I'd say it's possible that Doug lost his fine cooking edge -- and maybe even the win -- from too much beer.  Whatever it was, he was so not himself that he couldn't hide it.   

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3
I pretty much go into every season hoping for a woman to win because I think Colicchio inherently judges the women chefs more harshly than he does the men. So, when Mei is going on about wanting a woman to win, she's preaching to the choir with me. I looked back at some of my responses to last season and had forgotten how often Nick was dinged for not seasoning his food correctly, but still beat Nina in the finals. I don't believe at all that Tom will refuse to vote for a woman to win Top Chef, but I do think he has an inherent gender bias that prevents him from excusing any mistakes made by a woman that he would by a man. It drives me absolutely insane. Despite the fact that I absolutely love watching all the challenges, I don't know that I'll watch another season if Gregory wins.

With that being said, if I really thought the male competitor was the stronger of the two, then I would have no problem with him winning. I just don't feel like Gregory is a better, more well-rounded chef than Mei is. If it had come down to Doug and Melissa in the final two, then I would have been pulling for Doug because I felt like Melissa really went further than her talents justified. I don't know where I would have been with a Doug/Mei match-up. I think they're equally talented, so in that case, I probably would have pulled for Mei to represent the women, but been fine with Doug taking it as well.

I totally agree with you, especially about Tom C. being biased against women.  I have felt that way since season 1.  Being part Italian and knowing how Italian American men can be about women, I have specific personal baggage with this.  I am not a Greg fan either.  For me it's not really as much about his food, but more about him.  He rubs me the wrong way - I guess that's my personal quirk.   I get it that he has risen above drugs and alcohol but he brings it up ALL THE TIME, like  that makes him more deserving of the win.  I am tired of hearing about it.  I find him to be too full of himself.  I think Doug is a better chef and should have been in the finale.  I'm sorry to hear that he might have caused his own demise with a hangover.  I guess being polite and being less full of yourself won't get you the win in the end.  Too bad.  It's looking to me like Greg is the "golden boy" of this season and is on a roll.  Everyone else was his underdog even when he messed up, and I tend to root for underdogs anyway.  I don't have  a problem with Mei saying she wants to win because only 2 women have won in the past.  The culinary world is heavily and at times openly biased towards men so bringing that up is always relevant and not pulling any kind of "card", IMHO.

ETA:  Mei for the win!

Edited by Snarklepuss

I thought Doug was telling Katsuji not to have more than two beers that night.

Regarding Gregory and his past addiction issues, I also have tired of hearing it. As with anything else on this show, I don't know if he's bringing it up many times or the editors are replaying the same talking head.  It does seem to be very important to him though based on this Portland article.

• Love 3

The editing on this show is awful. I don't know if I've been watching reality tv too long or what, but I can always tell when they have either chopped off an answer or cobbled two together, especially when it is done a voiceover. With all the technology, this is the best they can do? Maybe they think we won't notice. I, too, get tired of being beaten over the head with certain things, and this goes for every season. I'm already having nightmares about how Nashville is going to be worked over.

• Love 1

One thought regarding Mei's guac dish. She said it would be visually appealing and tasted traditional (or something to that effect).  Perhaps she was trying to make up for how visually lacking her dish was in the artist challenge.

Here is an exit interview with Doug in Portland Monthly Mag. A lot of interesting info including his show preparation, feelings about the judges, and relationships with some of the other contestants. His game strategy was apparently to play it safe early on:

Early on in the show, my plan was just “season well, don’t go big, don’t take a lot of risks—let the wheat separate from the chaff.” I was never on the bottom, and I was never on the top, intentionally. Greg was the complete opposite. His plan was to go out swinging. It paid off for him until the Thanksgiving episode where I shifted gears, and where he started faltering a little bit.

• Love 2

Here is an exit interview with Doug in Portland Monthly Mag. A lot of interesting info including his show preparation, feelings about the judges, and relationships with some of the other contestants. His game strategy was apparently to play it safe early on:

From the tag next to the picture in the article:

...to compete in the finale, alongside currrent front-runners Gregory Gourdet and Mei Lin (formerly of Ink Restaurant in LA).

Formerly? Mmmmh! That makes me wonder!

• Love 1

I really started to dread Richard Blais. The question I got from him at the Judges’ Table over and over again was: “do you think this is fine dining enough for Top Chef?” Right after Mexico, Pok Pok NY got its Michelin star, and I tweeted to Richard: “Michelin star to Pok Pok, is that fine dining enough?”

You go, Dougie! Also, *bwah*

I'd love to hear what our little friend Richard the franchised pub comfort food guy had to say in response to that, but I can't find that he did.

• Love 2

From the tag next to the picture in the article:

Formerly? Mmmmh! That makes me wonder!

If one looks at Mei Lin's Facebook page(s)

one can see that she has been traveling all over the place since at least Thanksgiving (Copenhagen, Hawaii, NYC, and just last week in Portland) either eating food in many restaurants or hanging out with and cooking with various chefs usually with cheftestapants (Max Silvestri's term) from this season on Top Chef.  In other words, she hasn't posted any pics or entries relating to working AT Ink. Restaurant...  :-) 

(maybe)

Count me as another one who dislikes Gregory.  He rubs me the wrong way and his actions often seemed either a little...self-serving or self-aggrandizing.

I wish it was Doug in the finale rather than Gregory.  However, his bromance with Katsuji I still find weird, if not a little disturbing.  Just my view.  I remember his saying in a Talking Head in a past episode that he and Katsuji would be best friends forever...then immediately say that *that* was frightening, and a little sad... In the Portland article cited above he also made these comments:

I tried to ignore what everyone else was doing during the competition. Thank god I never had to work with Aaron [Grisom]. I love Katsuji, but I wanted to kill him every single day. He loves to poke you in the worst spots, like an evil genius. He would get James [Rigato] and Aaron to the point where they were ready to get physical. That’s just how he is. I think a lot of it was strategy. He’s a social media genius. He was just trying to get his name out there. And he did. For some reason I brought him back, twice. When I chose him, Padma was like…“Why?” He actually just asked me to be his daughter’s godfather.

Interesting, and confirmation of what he also said "on air" earlier about Katsuji always "poking, poking you" and purposely provoking responses from others - especially from Aaron.

I really started to dread Richard Blais. The question I got from him at the Judges’ Table over and over again was: “do you think this is fine dining enough for Top Chef?” Right after Mexico, Pok Pok NY got its Michelin star, and I tweeted to Richard: “Michelin star to Pok Pok, is that fine dining enough?”

You go, Dougie! Also, *bwah*

I'd love to hear what our little friend Richard the franchised pub comfort food guy had to say in response to that, but I can't find that he did.

I actually found Doug's comment kind of odd. It sounds like Blais has a certain point of view of which dishes and styles are Top Chef-worthy and Doug disagrees with that which is fine. But Pok Pok NY getting a Michelin star doesn't really prove Doug's point. The Michelin NY guide has, over the years, given stars to a bunch of casual and ethnic spots that would probably never get stars in the European Michelin guides. The European starred places usually have a certain minimum level of service/ambiance. It's different in NY (and maybe in other US cities).

It makes me think that Doug doesn't really know much outside the Portland food scene. (Doug previously worked at the original Pok Pok in Portland which is probably why he latched onto that restaurant in particular.)

For Blais, doesn't he have a bunch of different restaurants ranging from the burger places to higher-end spots? I think he was mostly cooking the higher-end stuff on Top Chef.