Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

caprice . . . did not know/remember that you were a Doctor Who fan. Have you been okay with the start of the Capaldi era?

In non-con news, here are pictures taken by my mother from Toronto.  Considering her lack of expertise on the camera, I'd say she did a good job.

Lantern, yeah, for the most part, I'm fine with Capaldi's Doctor. Of course, I've only seen the first episode, but I've liked him in other things and quit during the Smith era.

Your mom got some great pictures. :)

Your celebratory brownies are cooling, HM.

Bite your tongue! Never say that again, HM, never! I'm sorry it is turning into such a terrible year for your team. I hope whatever is taking Washington away isn't horrible.

Sooooo, go Twins, go 'stros?

Waffles and coffee sound great!

Last week, someone asked Tom Brady when he was going to retire.  He replied that he'd think about that once he sucked, and added that he didn't plan on sucking for a long time to come.  Yesterday made me think he spoke too soon.... :(

Last week, someone asked Tom Brady when he was going to retire.  He replied that he'd think about that once he sucked, and added that he didn't plan on sucking for a long time to come.  Yesterday made me think he spoke too soon.... :(

Meh, too small of a sample size. See how things turn out this year before deciding that he sucks. I heard that he was 6-6 playing in Miami and now 6-7 so it is nothing to worry too much over yet.

I'm sticking to my usual reality shows . . . and this write-up convinces me that Utopia isn't going to last long. As far as genre shows, I'm willing to give Gotham and The Flash a shot . . . though I'm probably going to pass on Hellblaz- . . . Constantine, even with the DC Comics cameos. And I'm not giving up on Doctor Who, even if there seems to be a backlash towards it early in the Capaldi era.

ETA: Here's another essay on Utopia. Wouldn't it be easier for the narrator to wear a t-shirt that says "HIPSTER" instead of resorting to that hat and mustache?

I'm looking forward to Gotham, although I'll have to watch it on On-Demand since it's up against The Voice, DwtS, and I believe at least one instance of the Patriots being on Monday Night Football.  I'm also predisposed to like Selfie since it stars Karen Gillan, and in the previews she seems to do a decent job of acting in an American accent.  Beyond that and the new Doctor Who season (I'm fine with Capaldi... his delivery, etc. actually reminds me of the Fourth Doctor), I've got the two aforementioned reality shows, Elementary (once it returns after NFL Week 8), Hawaii Five-0, TAR and Survivor.  Oh, and I'll have to look at The Flash, even though I've never watched Arrow (too many Wednesday night conflicts).

and this write-up convinces me that Utopia isn't going to last long.

Probably true.

Wouldn't it be easier for the narrator to wear a t-shirt that says "HIPSTER" instead of resorting to that hat and mustache?

Ugh the narrator did annoy me a lot.

There was a show called The Colony that IIRC was on the Discovery channel many years ago that I really enjoyed. The first season anyway, the second season kinda fell apart. I was hoping Utopia would be more like that.

though I'm probably going to pass on Hellblaz- . . . Constantine, even with the DC Comics cameos.

Whaaa??? There is a Constantine TV show??

There IS a Constantine TV show!! (btw I had so much disbelief that the show existed that I included a question mark in my google search without even realizing it was there until I hit enter)

I really liked the movie, I watch it every October. Never read the Comic Books though

• Love 1

I forgot to mention Haven, which actually comes back this week!  Constantine is on my "maybe" list, particularly since there was a late cast shakeup, and I only have so much time for "shows !MrsHB doesn't also watch".

Just saw an ad for IHOP with "bac and cheese" waffles. Is it me, or are those horrifying things to put in a waffle? I can understand blueberry cheesecake-flavored waffles, but bacon and cheese?!? Yuck.

ETA for MarkHB: Did you ever watch NTSF:SD:SUV::? Karen was in the latest season . . . at one point, her character was trying to go undercover as an American heiress, and the accent was horrible. Then again, it was played for laughs, so it was probably intentional.

• Love 1

We have a donut shop here that does a bacon-cheddar donut. It's more of a squarish fried pastry with hot bacon and melted cheese in the middle. They're three bucks a pop but they're damn tasty.

Lantern7, I've never heard of that show.

Oh, and it wasn't "Bac 'n' Cheese," it was "Bac 'n' Cheddar." Why would anybody do that to a waffle?

Why not? Okay, it would depend on the waffle and how much cheese, but that mix of sweet and savory can be done beautifully.

I love NTSF:SD: SUV.!  I think at least half the episodes had a science fictional theme, ( in addition of course that one of the cops is a robot).   I thought Kate Mulgrew was great in it, and dozens of well-known actors did cameos during its 3 year run.  I think you can see the episodes on the Adult Swim website  The last I heard they weren't planning on doing any more episodes, I guess all the people involved have other (better paying) things to do. 

Hey, does anyone know a way to watch Doctor Who if you don't get the channel it's on?  I've looked at the BBC America site and it doesn't actually show any episodes, unless I'm looking in the wrong place, and IPS(Iowa Public) channel  is showing reruns.  I'm so lost as to what to do!

Hey, does anyone know a way to watch Doctor Who if you don't get the channel it's on?  I've looked at the BBC America site and it doesn't actually show any episodes, unless I'm looking in the wrong place, and IPS(Iowa Public) channel  is showing reruns.  I'm so lost as to what to do!

Are you saying you don't get BBC America? That's where I'm watching, Saturday nights at... 8, I think. Other than that, I'd ask Mark or HM, because we all know I'm nearly useless when it comes to online viewing of anything. :)

I've got BBCA as well, so I hadn't had need to go looking online for it.  It appears that the current season is going up on Amazon, but it doesn't fall under a Prime subscription so you have to pay a few bucks/episode.  It's also delayed at least a little; right now they have Season 8 episodes 1-3 up, but not the one from tonight.

Unfortunetely, my folks(yes, I still live with them)didn't get that channel, and I don't think they will while I'm here.  It won't be an issue once I'm in Exeter, but just means I have to find another way of watching it.  Might try Amazon or even see if it might be playing on iTunes, Youtube hasn't really been any help.

I know, I should let it slide. But there's some stuff you can't let go, no matter how much Elsa sings at you. And I just came up with "Bob" off the top of my head, as opposed to using the guy's real name.

Speaking of Survivor, I watched the preview special on TVGN. Rocker aside, it's an interesting cast. Should be interesting to see how it'll let us down. The behind-the-scenes stuff was also pretty choice.

We got a song!  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going out drinking and looking for Faith Hill... ;)

(Actually, it's not our best song; it's definitely not as good as Schooner Fare's "Portland Town," but they're locals, and I'd probably take "No Anchovies Please" by the J. Geils Band before this one as well.)

• Love 1

Good morning. Coffee's on.

Go not Angels.

Yeah, so much for that plan.

Avast, maties!  What be with all this silence???? A crew that isn't talkin' is schemin, ye untrustworthy landlubbers!

Ye needs to make up yer mind, matey! We can be proper pirates, or landlubbers, but not both. Now, pass the rum!

Good morning. Coffee's on.

Yeah, so much for that plan.

Ye needs to make up yer mind, matey! We can be proper pirates, or landlubbers, but not both. Now, pass the rum!

Right now, ye all be sucky pirates with all this silence and 'tis my mind ye'll be walkin' the plank afore long!

And that scurvy Spruce has made off with me rum again!

Hello everyone! Happy err... Hobbit day.

How is everyone doing?

Clearly I can't speak for everyone, but I'm doing laundry and eating my way through the bag of Halloween candy I bought the other day.

*shaking a fist in your general direction* Darn you for putting the idea of Halloween season starting on Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I don't talk like a pirate. I do watch One Piece on Toonami, which is an insanely fun pirate-based anime.

That sounds fun!

Sign That I Need A Life: Watching CBS programming for the express purpose of trying to find commercials for The Amazing Race. So far, so empty . . . I guess five days is too long for promotion. I'm just sweating about how low the ratings were for Friday night's episode, and I reckon the show needs as much fan support as possible.

ETA: I banged out this essay on the matter. Yes, I am that worried. Warning: there are spoilers for the first episode, as well as that of Survivor.

Doing well, wd.  How are you?  When are you heading to England?

Since most of us bonded over a show that initially tried to be a comic book brought to the TV screen, you may be interested in this exhibit of pulp illustrations we have going on here.  I rarely go intown for the First Friday Art Walk (it's a hipster paradise), but between this and public tours of our newly-refurbished organ, I think I'll chance it this time.

Happy October everyone!

Since most of us bonded over a show that initially tried to be a comic book brought to the TV screen, you may be interested in this exhibit of pulp illustrations we have going on here.

Cool.

Pics if possible

Well, it's definitely fall... it's raining and cold here. :( Ironically, I'm waiting on delivery of some patio furniture.

Candy?  I'll have to stop off and get some tomorrow, I've been looking for an Elsa costume and it's a good excuse to go shopping.  How is everyone?

Yeah, I'm going to have to pick up some more Halloween candy before long. We won't tell ttm that I'd bought any ahead of time.

I like the idea of your Elsa costume, wd/dw! My aunt gave me some great shoes not too long ago, so I'm going to incorporate them into a WWotW-style outfit.

Doing well, wd.  How are you?  When are you heading to England?

Since most of us bonded over a show that initially tried to be a comic book brought to the TV screen, you may be interested in this exhibit of pulp illustrations we have going on here.  I rarely go intown for the First Friday Art Walk (it's a hipster paradise), but between this and public tours of our newly-refurbished organ, I think I'll chance it this time.

Neat article, Mark. If you make it in, I know I'm not the only one who'd like a review. :)

Happy October everyone!

Cool.

Pics if possible

Speaking of pics....

Lantern, I haven't seen any promos for TAR either. With the schedule change, you'd think they'd be on top of that.

caprice . . . I think they don't turn up until Monday. That's when I found the promo for the show on YouTube. I also saw commercials last night during Survivor, so I don't think CBS is out to screw TAR. There might be an increase in ratings when Shark Tank moves to 9. I hope that's the case.

I saw plenty of TAR commercials during Big Brother, and there were also some during the Survivor premiere (haven't watched this week's yet, and as usual am still a few eps away from the end of BB).  About the only other thing I'm watching on CBS right now is Patriots football, and they don't typically promote reality shows during the Sunday games (plus the Pats are heading for their second straight Sunday of not being on CBS).

Hoping to see the pulps exhibit tonight, but if time is short, seeing inside the Mighty Kotzschmar Organ (which I have never done, in fact I've only heard it played a few times even though I graduated from high school on that stage) will take precedence.  Pulps are there through the end of the year anyway.

I think that TAR won't get promoted on Sundays because it'll be five days away. The first episode was fun, and I hope you catch up soon.

Out of curiosity, does anybody here have rooting interests for the baseball playoffs? I don't know anybody from the Royals, but I hear their climb to the postseason was fun.

I like the Royals; they've been out of it so long, and I always liked the blue uniforms.  Although it aggravates me no end that they've ruined their ballpark by losing so much of the fountain display.  (I've actually been there, and it's a great place to watch a game).

Hey everyone

It is finally getting comfortable around here, hopefully we won't see mid 90's until next May.

I saw an episode of TAR tonight, I don't think I knew that they eliminated teams after every episode.

Out of curiosity, does anybody here have rooting interests for the baseball playoffs? I don't know anybody from the Royals, but I hear their climb to the postseason was fun.

I am fine with the Royals, Tigers, Orioles, Nationals, or Dodgers winning it. Anyone else is unacceptable.

Hanged Man . . . is this your first TAR experience? I hope you had fun with it. There are a few legs where nobody gets eliminated, but when Phil says a team "may be eliminated," they probably will.