Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

What a wonderful day! I'm lucky to have friends who remember my birthday.

So, lovely cake here, a bit of a chat with a special someone, a call from my mother and a ridiculous sushi dinner. I'm thinking I would like a little drinky, then a good night's sleep.

Too much to do tomorrow....

• Love 1

Hey there, wd/dw! I'm glad you've found us again. BTW, have we made you aware that we also have... that game going on? Check out the Fun and Games section in the main Forums list. :)

I'm with you on nervous about the holidays. Being back in the US will be interesting. I really did get used to celebrating Thanksgiving in October. Hopefully ttm and I will be able to find a good Indian restaurant so we can continue that tradition, even if we switch which Thanksgiving gets the Indian food.

In other news, settling into the new house continues. The blinds are FINALLY going up today!!

... Are you planning on having Indian food on American Thanksgiving, or on Canadian Thanksgiving?  Because now that you're back on our side of the border, if it's the latter there's a certain irony in making it a point to have Indian food on Columbus Day. ;)

Also, you should rush to find a job, just so it will hit you that much harder in 3 weeks when you have to go to work on the first Monday in August.

• Love 1

... Are you planning on having Indian food on American Thanksgiving, or on Canadian Thanksgiving?  Because now that you're back on our side of the border, if it's the latter there's a certain irony in making it a point to have Indian food on Columbus Day. ;)

Also, you should rush to find a job, just so it will hit you that much harder in 3 weeks when you have to go to work on the first Monday in August.

Oh, Mark... you're funny. I might have Indian food on BOTH! All I have to do first is find a place to serve a good chicken saag, lamb korma and beef vindaloo.

Yeah, I should rush to find a job so that I can ask for time off right away. I'm not going to be in the country for the first Monday in August. ;)

We went to this Friday night; it was the first time I had ever gone to it and it's been a major event my entire life.  We didn't do much; !MrsHB wanted to hear one particular band, and I availed myself of the opportunity to gorge on fried clams for what may be the only time this summer  (unfortunately, my late grandmother never taught me her recipe, which frustrates me no end).

• Love 1
(edited)

Had a long day going into Queens for a magazine interview. Tomorrow, I'll have to go into the borough again for  a job thing. One other kicker: I have to get there by 6:30 a.m. In the damn morning. Even with driving, it'll be a hike. Here's hoping it won't be an ordeal.

ETA: Sign That I Might Suck . . . I tuned in to the Mets game just in time to see Bartolo Colon lose a perfect game after 6 2/3 innings. Then again, given what happened to Johan Santana after he pitched the first no-hitter in Mets history, a perfect game might have been hazardous to Colon's health.

Edited by Lantern7

Hey everyone, how are things?

Have fun on your trip Caprice

Things are good here. I hop you are also well, HM.

Thanks for the well wishes. So far, so good. I'm hoping the heat will break soon.

Well, I got out in one piece. Had to hang around for six hours, which really tested my patience. Up next: getting all the forms I thought I had gotten through two years ago!

Sign that I'm a geek: I keep thinking in terms of Pacific Coast time in order to synch with news from Comic-Con. I just saw it referred to as "Nerdi Gras." That fits, actually.

And it looks like the Mets are shipping Bartolo Colon. Reminds me of the '62 squad that traded Don Zimmer after he just broke an 0-for-thirtysomething slump, and everybody joked that they wanted something for him while he was hot.

Well, the boyfriend and I have decided that instead of trying to get time off during the incredibly busy holiday season, he's going to come to Iowa to visit for the week of Valentine's Day! :)  Will be totally awesome to actually celebrate that holiday with someone, and hopefully I'll be able to either go back to Exeter with him or follow him soon afterwards, there's just so much to plan out!

• Love 1

Awesome news, wd!  I'd suggest, other than getting a passport, not to plan too too heavily... you don't want his visit to turn into the sort of thing you see at Disney World where people have a timetable that says they have to be at Dumbo at 10:30 sharp.

Okay, I'll bite . . . how did you wind up at a Katy Perry concert?

Multiple-choice answer:

• !MrsHB wanted to go and I get to do her Boston driving.
  • We got my sister tickets as a present.
  • Lust.
  • All of the above.

I'm starting to debate whether I should watch the Mets anymore. Once again, I saw a no-hit bid broken up in the seventh inning, this time from pheenom Jacob deGrom. The kinky part was that the Giants pitcher had a perfect friggin' game going into the seventh before things imploded for him. The only time a Mets pitcher threw a no-no was when I was too busy napping to notice. It's the suckiest feeling to miss out on history like that. At least deGrom is still healthy . . . that's a huge concern anytime you see a young Mets pitcher dominate.

I'm starting to debate whether I should watch the Mets anymore.

I have a nasty feeling that the only alternative you'll have down there until November is all-Jeter, all-the-time.

I always say I'm a lapsed Mets fan, in the sense that I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be, but I can't imagine rooting for anyone else . . . let alone the Yankees. Bad enough Chipper Jones hit, like, .400 at Shea Stadium, but he also suggested that Mets fans put on Yankees gear when their team gets eliminated from contention. In my experience, that isn't true. I figure Mets fans would respect guys like Jeter, and thumb their noses at the rest. 

The Crazed Spruce . . . I'll be going to Toronto later this month, so that might come in handy. Personally, my prior experiences in Canadian cuisine usually stop at ketchup-flavored chips.

Hey everyone.

My buddy and I were discussing today how much July/August sucks sports-wise when your baseball team sucks. We had been spoiled the last 4 years, but things are so bad this year it is almost not worth looking up the scores on the day after the game.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy today and I thought it was ok. There were enough good parts to balance out the bad parts, so I rank it somewhere between 4-6 depending on which scenes I am thinking of.

The weird thing is my friends loved it. LOVED it. loved it. I don't get it. They seemed like fairly logical guys.

I just want to mention that in the Meetups forum, there's discussion of a possible Boston-area meetup later this month.  I'm trying to see if there's interest from people who actually watch the same shows I do, as I have no overwhelming desire to go to meet a bunch of forum-strangers.

My buddy and I were discussing today how much July/August sucks sports-wise when your baseball team sucks. We had been spoiled the last 4 years, but things are so bad this year it is almost not worth looking up the scores on the day after the game.

Oh, yeah.  Although, perhaps it's not as bad as the recent Houston-Oakland game that got a 0.0 rating!  And the A's have the best record in baseball (and just got Jon Lester :( )!

Hanged Man . . . I saw GotG as well, and I reckon I liked it more than you. I'm just amazed by the amount of balls Marvel has in putting out a movie with B-list characters or worse, where the most infamous character featured (as opposed to cameoed . . . heh heh) was playable in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. And like most Marvel/Disney movies, GotG worked out without much flaws across the board.

You're lucky.  If GotG opens here at all (the local theatre still hasn't announced if they're getting it), it won't be for at least a month or so.  And even then, it's only here for a weekend, 'cause the theatre's only open three nights a week.  And if I miss it then, I'm pretty much screwed, 'cause our only video store closed down about a year and a half ago.

But hey, I'm in the Disney Movie Club (joined mostly 'cause that was pretty much the only way I could get a DVD copy of The Avengers without spending an arm, a leg, and a couple of spare toes), and it'll no doubt be a featured selection, so I'll probably wind up getting an overpriced (but still a good ten bucks cheaper than any store around here) BluRay of it about a month after it's released to video.

So, we went upcountry to visit !MrsHB's family yesterday, came down the ramp from I-295 onto the Turnpike, and promptly got stuck in this.  We were stuck in immobile traffic (with the eerie experience of absolutely nothing coming the other way on the Interstate) for close to an hour; the story we were hearing at the time was that it had turned into a 6-car accident.  By the time we got through, the burned-out car had been removed (and there was plenty of gas-absorbing kitty litter on the ground), but that box truck in the photo was still there.  The thing that bugs me is that, if we had known, there's an easy workaround to that stretch, but there was no way to get to it once we were on the highway.

I hate it when that happens, when you're stuck in traffic and have no way to get out.  Once I tried checking the GPS and it "sensed" that we weren't moving, and gave us various alternative exits to take, but of course we couldn't get to those exits.   

I didn't think a GPS could "sense" such things.

Ever get irritated when you go offline for a long while, and damn near everything is the same where you left it? I know it shouldn't bug me, but it does.

I didn't think a GPS could "sense" such things

Our GPS (Magellan) knows how fast we're going, so when we slow down from 60 mph to 5 mph, it knows there's traffic congestion and suggests alternative routes.  Unfortunately, it can't notify us before the traffic builds up.  I've heard that there are some GPS/traffic apps that get "real time" traffic info, so you can find out about accidents and such that would cause traffic jams, but we don't have anything like that. 

Good morning, everyone. Waffles in the steam tray!

Hey, this video was posted on my tablet's browser's home page. Thought you guys might like it. :)

Nanaimo bars!! Poutine!! MAPLE SUGAR CANDY!!! I miss Canada....

Hey everyone.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy today and I thought it was ok. There were enough good parts to balance out the bad parts, so I rank it somewhere between 4-6 depending on which scenes I am thinking of.

The weird thing is my friends loved it. LOVED it. loved it. I don't get it. They seemed like fairly logical guys.

We are all entitled to the occasional lapse in logic. ;)

I just want to mention that in the Meetups forum, there's discussion of a possible Boston-area meetup later this month.  I'm trying to see if there's interest from people who actually watch the same shows I do, as I have no overwhelming desire to go to meet a bunch of forum-strangers.

You know me, Mark... I'm always up for meeting forum friends. Too bad we're all still so scattered.

Our GPS (Magellan) knows how fast we're going, so when we slow down from 60 mph to 5 mph, it knows there's traffic congestion and suggests alternative routes.  Unfortunately, it can't notify us before the traffic builds up.  I've heard that there are some GPS/traffic apps that get "real time" traffic info, so you can find out about accidents and such that would cause traffic jams, but we don't have anything like that. 

My GPS likes to suggest I make a turn well ahead of an actual street. I feel like I'm in a perpetual episode of Doctor Who.

• Love 1

Caprice . . . were you in Toronto when the Blue Jays were good? I'm just wondering whether to get tickets now or wait until the day of the game when I go in about two weeks.

I got really bored, and I wound up recovering this article I wrote back in 2002. I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

ETA . . . and apparently Robin Williams died today. I'm alternating between "flabbergasted" and "bummed" right now. How about the rest of you?

Edited by Lantern7

*standing on my desk* "Oh, Captain, my Captain!"

Lantern, yes and no. For a long time, the Jays were seen as "the best of the rest," when the Yanks and BoSox were always on top of the AL East. Then the Rays came up and now the Os are too. The Jays are having a good season, though, and usually put on a good show. Do you know who they'll be playing?

ETA . . . and apparently Robin Williams died today. I'm alternating between "flabbergasted" and "bummed" right now. How about the rest of you?

Yeah... he was so immensely talented.  There are already tons of posts about him in the Deaths thread.

Hey everyone how are things?

I was pretty surprised to learn that he had died and that suicide was suspected. Suicide seems like a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

So, we went upcountry to visit !MrsHB's family yesterday, came down the ramp from I-295 onto the Turnpike, and promptly got stuck in this.

There was a Mythbusters episode where they put bullets in an oven. Without something like a barrel to direct the bullet's energy, they are pretty harmless.