Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

I think it's less the article and more the twitter explosion. Really, how far do you suppose that one person had to search to find that picture of the snow-buried homes? You haven't had anything to say in a LONG time about the snow, so I knew that one was wrong.

Trust me, Mark, I already know better than to even offer HM any Guinness. One of these days, I might send him some chocolate Guinness cupcakes. The horrible taste of the pseudo-motor oil gets baked out, so all you're left with is a beautifully rich, dense and delicious cake.

*sigh* I'm being kicked off the waffle train. On that note, there are egg white omelets with bbq chicken in the steam tray. We also have feta, brie or blue cheese to melt over the omelets.

Since nobody else is asking  . .. is BBQ chicken for breakfast a "thing" in Minnesota? If so, I might want to visit, if not outright move.

Not that I'm aware of. It's just what I had in the fridge yesterday.

• Love 2

Flipping between Cubs/Mets and USA/Germany. I'm amused that the latter is being played at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. I went there ages ago for an Expos game. All that was missing was a circus. Did they ditch the "retractable dome" once the Expos moved to Washington?

The only time I was at that stadium (went to an Expos game to see it before it closed and it happened to be Gary Carter Day... the place was mobbed), the "retractable roof" had been replaced with what may have been the world's largest blue tarp.  I believe that's what's there now, going by what I can find online.  It doesn't retract, though.

I wonder if the stadium concessions still include Monsieur's Smoked Meats... those sandwiches were amazing.

I wonder if the stadium concessions still include Monsieur's Smoked Meats... those sandwiches were amazing.

Montreal is quite proud of their smoked meats. I can't imagine they wouldn't still be available.

I miss the gourmet poutine at my favorite downtown TO bistro.

Comic-Con started today. Actually, today had "Preview Night," but I'm counting it as the start. I kinda/sorta wish I could have made the trip, but tickets sold out in about an hour . . . and getting access is child's play compared to getting there and staying there. At least I have NYCC in October  .. . and I can watch Conan all week from San Diego.

Happy belated birthday, caprice!  Sorry I haven't been around, been too caught up in other things, including trying to get a visitors visa for England.  Got an email from the processing place yesterday saying the visa's been denied, no idea why and I have to wait until I get my stuff back before I find out. I can appeal, so I'm hoping it's something that can be easily fixed.  In the meantime, I got hired at two places but have been getting very few hours, so I applied at and got a position at a Walgreens(drugstore) near my house.  Submitted my notice at the place that's downtown, simply because I still don't have a car and it's the most inconvienent of the two jobs to get to, plus there's the fact that I have yet to get my first paycheck from them.  Just waiting for life to calm down for a bit, not sure when that will happen.

• Love 1

Thanks, wd!

Whatever went wrong with your visa application, I hope it turns out to be something easy, like a signature was forgotten, and not fall-out from your attempted trip earlier this year. If that's the case, I hate to have to suggest it, but you two might need to consult an immigration lawyer over there.

Good luck with all the work hours! I hope things even out soon. *hugs*

Well, that was a frigging long drive. I'm in Kansas to spend a weekend with my niece. When I get home, I'm going to have to get my eyes checked because I'm finding I can't spend all day in my sunglasses. *regretting not bringing any contacts*

So I had a great time visiting my niece. It was hot and humid and we tried to find ways to stay cool while entertaining two active dogs. I'd forgotten how much history is down there.

That said, I can't say that I'm a fan of HUGE sections of I-35 going through Iowa, Missouri, or Kansas.

I waved as I drove by, wd! I wasn't sure if you are still there.

You've been getting out to a lot of games lately. I've only been to one Twins game since getting here, but at least it was a good one. I'm sorry you had to sit through a game in which ARod did anything of note.

Ooh, did y'all see that triple play my Ms pulled off?

(edited)
Ooh, did y'all see that triple play my Ms pulled off?

I did though it was helped by the guy that just fell off the plate.

On the up side, I met Weird Al Sunday night!

Cool. Upwards of 20+ years ago I had a friend who won free Weird Al concert tickets on the radio which we went to and our seats were right along the aisle that he ran up and down for costume changes, so every time he ran by we high-fived him.

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 2

I did though it was help by the guy that just fell off the plate.

Cool. Upwards of 20+ years ago I had a friend that won free Weird Al concert tickets on the radio which we went to and our seats were right along the aisle that he ran up and down for costume changes, so every time he ran by we high-fived him.

Well, yeah, but it was still cool.

You two have the neatest stories.

My sister and nephew are flying in this evening, my niece (and her dogs) is driving up now. I'm going to have a FULL house this weekend. :D

I did though it was help by the guy that just fell off the plate.

Sigh I am beginning to despise autocorrect, I have a hobbit of not reviewing what I type and autocorrect never seems to guess the word I was going for.

• Love 2

Waffles in the steam tray.

One week after I was visiting my niece, she came up here to see her mother and brother who flew in on Thursday. She went home yesterday, but my sister and nephew are still here. I'm looking forward to this week. :)

Take them to the mall and to see the cherry on a spoon and the Mary Tyler Moore statue :) (I don't think the latter existed yet when I had my one visit to the Twin Cities, but we did the other two and also went up the Foshay Tower.)

• Love 1

We saw the cherry on Saturday and walked past the Foshay Tower. We'd like to take my sister to Prohibition, but will have to drop the nephew on a neighbor or sitter. We may yet go see the MTM statue.

• Love 1

Actually, the "Dark Matters" I was talking about is the Heroes prequel, which AFAIK is only available (at least officially) via the Heroes app on iOS and Android.  I don't have a tablet, so I hooked the phone up to the hd/surround sound rig in the living room and it was like being home again!  :)  (Even though I was, in fact, home.)

Hey there. Waffles and bacon in steam trays, orange and apple juice in pretty pitchers and a huge carafe of coffee on the table. I hope it smells like sleep because I'm forgetting what that is like.

Mark, HM, you two have the best conversations to walk in on.

Hey guys, so I'm still here in Iowa.  Basically it was kind of fall out from before, because the two jobs I'd held hardly gave me any hours and also because I'd mentioned having a college loan I'm still paying off, they still believe that I don't have enough money to support myself and for some reason don't think that my boyfriend can support me.  I still don't one hundred percent understand why, but we're going with plan B, which is for Keith to get a better paying job, save up and come back over here to visit next year, then for the two of us to work on getting a partner visa.

In the meantime, the Walgreens job is going well, it's actually full time and they've got me in the cosmetics area, which is turning out to be a lot of work but really fun too!

• Love 1

It's good to hear from you, wd!  I had been wondering if you had stayed in Iowa, since didn't you say the rest of the family had decamped to Florida?  Or was that temporary and I misunderstood badly?

Hey guys, so I'm still here in Iowa.  Basically it was kind of fall out from before, because the two jobs I'd held hardly gave me any hours and also because I'd mentioned having a college loan I'm still paying off, they still believe that I don't have enough money to support myself and for some reason don't think that my boyfriend can support me.  I still don't one hundred percent understand why, but we're going with plan B, which is for Keith to get a better paying job, save up and come back over here to visit next year, then for the two of us to work on getting a partner visa.

In the meantime, the Walgreens job is going well, it's actually full time and they've got me in the cosmetics area, which is turning out to be a lot of work but really fun too!

Okay, it's getting clearer.

What I'd suggest, and it looks like you're already working in this direction, is that you do what you can to have only one really good job and work down those loans. It doesn't matter what kind of job Keith has, you're dragging debt with you, and that never looks good to Immigration. I'd have been in the same situation while I was paying off my undergrad loans.

Now, you just have that extra year in which you two can build a stronger paper trail to prove your relationship! :D WRITE LETTERS!! Physical evidence is the best.

What is it about being in France that causes one to eat and drink far too much?