Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Iron Ceiling

I kept expecting him to say "N'est pas?"

When our heroes were in the Leviathan facility all the beds had handcuffs on the headrails.  I'm guessing all the 'students' were forced to sleep cuffed to their beds and Dottie continues to do so into adulthood.  (If this answers a question you weren't asking, sorry.)

Yes, we also see this in the flashback for Dottie.  The woman in charge is unlocking all the girls from their handcuffs to the bed in the morning.

I love when characters challenge my opinion of them. I was actually all set for Thompson to turn on Peggy when they arrived back in the States by returning to form BECAUSE she knew him for who he really was...but he seems to have matured into an actual human being respecting a colleague....

Peggy's a smart cookie to play the empathy card with him so he doesn't resent her.

ETA: For me, this knocks him off the potential Mr. Agent Carter list.

I'm guessing the woke with a start is the reason she put on the handcuffs the following night...

She did seem to put on the handcuff in the same manner as someone would pull out an old teddy bear for comfort--but I'm wondering if the handcuffs also serve to prevent the assassin-indoctrinated girls from killing random people in the night.

The last time I saw Eddie Shin was also in a 1940s setting (the wonderful non-superhero series, Manhattan) in which his death was a major focus, so I was totally expecting him to buy the farm here, and he quickly did. Should he be worried about being type cast as a red shirt?

ETA: So I've been accepting all along that with just 8 episodes they can't fit in 1940s race relations if the focus is feminism, but come on, writers, you throw in a black guy on the team and can't work in a single line about the situation?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Thanks for the information about Soviet-US relations. I don't know, I just had this idea that anti-Commie fervour wasn't as big a thing in the popular mind until the mid-Fifties. But I take quarks' point that the show isn't really going for historical verisimilitude.

Someone remind me: Did Sousa dig up Peggy's file and compare her shoulder to that of the Mysterious Blonde after Thompson threw them together in the locker room? I remember the order of the scenes differently.

Thanks for the information about Soviet-US relations. I don't know, I just had this idea that anti-Commie fervour wasn't as big a thing in the popular mind until the mid-Fifties. But I take quarks' point that the show isn't really going for historical verisimilitude.

Someone remind me: Did Sousa dig up Peggy's file and compare her shoulder to that of the Mysterious Blonde after Thompson threw them together in the locker room? I remember the order of the scenes differently.

The US did fight against the Soviets in 1920 and all knew that they were frenemies during WWII. Isolationist would have been fine with sending all war efforts to the Pacific and letting Hitler and Stalin fight it out if war was not declared on the US giving President Roosevelt a freer hand in his Germany first strategy. Yes Sousa pulled the file after seeing her scars  and having his memory triggered from the photo.

• Love 1

I'm still not feeling Thompson, however, and I thought CMM had a few pretty weak scenes. I'm still a big NO to any kind of romance between him and Peggy.

I was more impressed with CMM in the "reveal" scenes than I expected to be (i.e., at all) but I want to put on the record another big NO to any romance between them. I think Dooley's reference to Thompson's "crush" was a sign of the boss's being peeved, not evidence of anything real. I won't mind if Thompson and Carter become more like colleagues, but that's as far as I'm willing to go. (Don't mess me about, show!)
Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4

Yes, he saw the wounds on Peggy's shoulder in the locker room, then looked at her file I think then looked at her picture in blond.

I thought Peggy was smart to be empathetic to Thompson too although I don't think it was calculated - but I thought she was also horrified at his story.

• Love 2

ETA: So I've been accepting all along that with just 8 episodes they can't fit in 1940s race relations if the focus is feminism, but come on, writers, you throw in a black guy on the team and work in a single line about the situation?

Since the beginning with The First Avenger the only mention of anyone's race has been Dum Dum Dugan being surprised by Jim Morita until Director Fury was talking about his grandfather. And that can be considered a social class discussion and not racial . If it wasn't for Samuel L Jackson's twist about cops looking at Fury in an SUV before an assassination attempt you could conclude that there is no race in the MCU.

The US may have been wary of the Soviet Union but they totally underestimated them especially when they gave them the lands from the conquered countries. At the end of the war as the Germans were retreating, people in countries such as Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia were praying that them Americans would be the ones to liberate them not the Russians, because they were longtime democracies and didn't want to live under Soviet rule.

Actually, the parceling up of Eastern and Central Europe came from an agreement between Churchill and Stalin that was written up in what Churchill called the Naughty Document because he knew it would piss off the US. It basically said that the USSR would have a majority control in various countries while the UK had a similar majority in other countries like Greece, but Stalin knew that a "majority control" would mean that the winner took all. The US wanted to take Berlin and establish control over all of Germany, but Churchill got us to back off and let the Soviets have it.

Watch Captain America - The First Avenger (this one takes place before Agent Carter)

Captain America - Winter Solider (has a brief scene that takes place in current time featuring a old Peggy, and several scenes where people talk about things Peggy did for the government)

Agent Carter One Shot that was on the first Captain America DVD (I think it takes place not long after this show end date- this one you can watch online). http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1viter_marvel-one-shot-agent-carter-2013_shortfilms

I would add to this list and include the second Ironman movie because that's where the Black Widow program first shows up.

• Love 1

Even with the two interruptions with "breaking news" about a train crash that had happened hours ago, this was still a great episode. If the interruptions had been any longer, I would have had to watch it online, but I didn't want to have to wait. At least now I can look forward to seeing something new when I buy this series on Blu-ray. (I wasn't even tempted to buy AoS, but this is a day-one purchase for me!)

The "Black Widow" school was super creepy, as was Dottie's search of Peggy's apartment (I honestly expected her to find the blood hidden behind the painting, and was glad they kept a little something for later) and the way she had to wear her handcuffs to go to bed at night. Very much looking forward to the inevitable Peggy/Dottie showdown!

Watching Peggy show up the codebreaker guy by translating the message was the typical "Peggy proves her worth but none of the men care" but I loved that it led to her insisting she go along on the mission in the field. Because as soon as the Howling Commandos showed up, Peggy was able to become the Agent Carter we know and love. They put her in charge, and she slid into that leadership role without a second thought. I guess I missed the parachute scene because of one of the interruptions, but watching Peggy save Thompson's ass when he froze up under fire was quite satisfying.

I'm just hoping that this changes things for her in the office from now on. I know at the end they invited her for drinks, but I hope that at least Thompson treats Peggy differently from this point. Since it's such a limited series, I assume that they won't try to backpedal just to keep the status quo. And I also hope that Sousa has the presence of mind to confront Peggy with his evidence so she can explain instead of going through proper channels and getting her busted with the boss. I'd much rather Peggy explain and she and Sousa can join forces. (Because if they simply MUST explore a relationship angle on this show -- and I really don't think it's necessary, they've gotten along just fine without it -- I'd much rather see her with Sousa instead of Thompson.)

I'm really going to miss Peggy when she's gone. And I'm afraid the ratings aren't going to be impressive enough for ABC to give this another stint during AoS's next hiatus. :(

• Love 2

Thompson's predicament is even more affecting when you remember that IJA troops in World War II had a long and storied habit of faking surrender or injury before they launched suicide attacks on American troops.

• Love 10

Well, Agent Carter wouldn't be a spy show if didn't have its own episode about Russia filled to the brim with klyukva ("klyukva", literally "cranberry", is a Russian term used to describe false or exaggerated stereotypes about the country commonly uused in Western media). I'm used to that, after years of watching Western shows, but damn me if it's not funny every single time. Still, this one wasn't anywhere as bad as Arrow's Diggle-centric with gulags last year, or Agents of SHIELD in Azerbaijan (or was it Uzbekistan?) around the same time. And Russian that was spoken was correct, for a change (even not very accented! I mean, I could easily understand it!)

Still, it was weird that a secret super soldier facility just happened to be on the very border of a huge country. It would make so much more sense to situate it in a different place. Both captives conveniently spoke English (even now, not that many people in Russia do), and of course, we couldn't have an episode about Russia without a vodka joke (you won't believe how tired this is). Er, whatever, it was fun, and Peggy was so very badass, so I don't even care.

Peggy/Thompson banter in the beginning was great. I loved it. He's still an ass, but they have a fun dynamic. I'd prefer if he were played by a different actor, though. Nothing really against CMM, but he doesn't wow me.
Peggy/Dum Dum were great as well. Peggy has really awesome platonic relationships with guys - Jarvis, Howard, Dum Dum... It's so refreshing!

I totally called Thompson's story about his medal being fake. Still, it seems, he's out of running as Peggy's future husband, even despite all the ship tease in the episode - if he was fighting the Japanese, Steve couldn't have saved him. Anyway, I like that this episode humanized him somewhat. I'd love to know more.

It's nice that SSR are shown as not stupid. The boss starts to have doubts about Stark, and Sousa's onto Peggy.

I really like Bridget Reagan as Dottie. She has this manic quality about her that's quite fun. Too bad she hasn't found Steve's blood, I was expecting her to (maybe later? We'll see). That scene with her going to sleep sent shivers down my spine, too.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

The US may have been wary of the Soviet Union but they totally underestimated them especially when they gave them the lands from the conquered countries. At the end of the war as the Germans were retreating, people in countries such as Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia were praying that them Americans would be the ones to liberate them not the Russians, because they were longtime democracies and didn't want to live under Soviet rule.

Actually, the parceling up of Eastern and Central Europe came from an agreement between Churchill and Stalin that was written up in what Churchill called the Naughty Document because he knew it would piss off the US. It basically said that the USSR would have a majority control in various countries while the UK had a similar majority in other countries like Greece, but Stalin knew that a "majority control" would mean that the winner took all. The US wanted to take Berlin and establish control over all of Germany, but Churchill got us to back off and let the Soviets have it.

The idea that anybody gave the USSR Eastern Europe is laughable. .

The USSR  was paying in blood to take Eastern Europe and no one was going to tell them to give it up.  It was immpossible to prevent them from taking EE and  removing them would have required another war which the West was not willing to fight.

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 4

It was great seeing Dum Dum again, and I enjoyed seeing how much he and his buddies respect the hell out of Peggy. And who wouldn't? She's just every different kind of awesome, and as well equipped for a verbal fight as she is for a physical one. I enjoyed her bickering with Thompson, and I think he enjoyed it too. Dooley has a point when he suspects Thompson of tugging on Peggy's pigtails, I think.

Thompson's story? I find fault in it, because Japanese soldiers did not surrender. In the battle of Iwo Jima, there were 22,000 Japanese soldiers. You know how many were taken prisoner? A shade over 200. On Okinawa, there were 80,000 and maybe 7000 prisoners. And most of them were probably too injured to put up resistance. That's not to say none surrendered, but it seems so unlikely that it was a bit of writing that felt jarring to me, and I think they'd have been better off figuring out a different dirty secret for Thompson. Peggy may have been horrified at what Thompson revealed, but as a veteran of the war, she'll be only too aware that things like that happened. Much worse things than that happened. I think her main reaction was one of sympathy.

The Red Room was disturbing as hell, and I love that they've decided to just go for it with this piece of Marvel mythology. Indoctrination and brutal training, from an early age, producing lethal assassins. This is absolutely where Natasha Romanoff has come from, and I hope Scarlett Johannson is watching this show. She'll love it. I also hope they reveal the whole tapestry of anti-aging, mind-wiping as well, to tie all this in with the Winter Soldier. I'm geeking out, just a little.

Bridget Regan does really good crazy eyes, and seemed almost curious and yearning about being able to be a girl sitting in front of her mirror, with a picture of her guy. That's the really sad thing about the whole Red Room story. These were just normal children once, before normality was trained and tortured out of them.

Oh, and now that Dooley seems to be getting a bit too much information and coming to the conclusion that Stark might not be a bad guy after all, suddenly I'm worried that he's going to get killed.

• Love 3

Reading the recap my oh come on with history moment was not the Japanese, surrendering, fan wave that as Korean or other laborers in Japanese service trying to get out but the code breaker coming in to say he used the Turing method and then Agent Carter saying it is Russian and breaking a code. When the typewriter first appeared I said Enigma with the razor being used as an antenna.

But then I just saw The Imitation Game

They were careful to say the 107th Regiment and not Howling Commandos though. I will fan wave that some of Captain Rogers' special ops team had rotated home like Agent Carter in the post war mop up period. It does seem as if the 107th was Army, perhaps National Guard as they all seemed to come from Brooklyn which was assigned to the SSR as their stick. My guess is that the Strategic Scientific Reserve was set up like the American Office of Strategic Services and the British Special Operations Executive. While they used soldiers like Commander James Bond it was possible to initially serve in the spy branch without military experience and rank like Agent Carter. given the time frame about the only rank Peggy Carter would have had pre war was from the nursing corps. When women were recruited for non combatant roles after the war started she may have had a rank but going in as an Agent was probably more powerful then a rear area commission.

In the US Army, Air Force and Marine Corps the correct rank is First Lieutenant, not Lieutenant First Class. "First Class" would be part of the ranks of enlisted USAF Airman First Class. US Army and USMC Sergeants First Class and the Navy's Petty Officer First Class

Yeah, I realized that at some point when I woke up in the middle of the night. That's what I get for posting while tired.

I still feel that Peggy must have had some sort of equivalency rank to warrant the "You can't give me orders." "The hell I can't, I'm a captain!" exchange. She appeared to outrank all the enlisted men.

I'm not sure if they ever said where most of the men from the 107th were from. We know Bucky was from Brooklyn and Morita from Fresno. I'm also sure Marvel bent reality a bit to serve their own storytelling purposes.

Edited by Leia1979

I'm not sure if they ever said where most of the men from the 107th were from. We know Bucky was from Brooklyn and Morita from Fresno. I'm also sure Marvel bent the rules to serve their own storytelling purposes.

Sgt Bucky Barnes seemed to enlist to the 107th in The First Avenger so I made the National Guard assumption. Also because of Dum Dum Dugan being surprised at being confronted with Morita I am theorizing that the real "Go For Broke" 442 Regimental Combat Team was where he was serving when captured before joining the Howling Commandos instead of going home after being a POW.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Holy crap, that guy was Lionel Luthor?!  I KNEW he looked familiar!

Anyway, I loved the banter with Peggy and the Howling Commandos.  Thompson's backstory made me dislike him a little less, but I still don't want him to end up as Mr. Carter.  Actually, I don't want Souza to be Mr. Carter either.  Geez, betrayed by a beauty mark.  I wonder how she's going to get out of this one.

Dottie's flashback to Black Widow/Hunger Games boarding school was disturbing, as was her snooping around in Peggy's apartment.  When she picked up Steve's picture...I felt a little nauseous.  Don't you dare touch Steve's picture you creepy bitch!

• Love 1
Thompson's backstory made me dislike him a little less, but I still don't want him to end up as Mr. Carter.  Actually, I don't want Souza to be Mr. Carter either

Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. None of them quite hit the spot. Peggy's guy has to be as awesome and interesting as she is, and they aren't there. They may get there with time, though, but right now, Howard's the only guy on her level, and we all know he's not the one.

Also, I've forgotten to write that in my first post, but given the current context, it's quite hilarious to hear the name "Leviathan" as pertaining to the Soviet secret organization. "Leviathan" is a Golden Globe-winning and Oscar-nominated Russian movie widely disliked by our authorities for its realistic portrayal of the level corruption in the country.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 7

Anyway, I loved the banter with Peggy and the Howling Commandos.  Thompson's backstory made me dislike him a little less, but I still don't want him to end up as Mr. Carter.  Actually, I don't want Souza to be Mr. Carter either.  Geez, betrayed by a beauty mark.  I wonder how she's going to get out of this one.

I thought the "beauty marks" were scars from combat wounds. We are only about a year since Steve's death. I doubt if anyone we see will be  Mr Carter unless an actor breaks out in the public consciousness.

• Love 1
I thought the "beauty marks" were scars from combat wounds. We are only about a year since Steve's death. I doubt if anyone we see will be  Mr Carter unless an actor breaks out in the public consciousness.

In the file on Carter, Margaret that Souza was reviewing, those two marks on Peggy's shoulder were identified as gunshot wounds.

• Love 2

I thought the "beauty marks" were scars from combat wounds.

We are only about a year since Steve's death. I doubt if anyone we see will be Mr Carter unless an actor breaks out in the public consciousness.

I though they were bullet wounds or something too.

I think mr carter is an open question, depending on if we get more shows or a movie out of this...but I still like Sousa for the role. He's cute and a war hero and obviously a smart investigator and basically decent guy. I don't see the problem.

• Love 2

Yes, they were definitely trying to take advantage of the popularity of "The Imitation Game" by mentioning Turing.

Watch Captain America - The First Avenger (this one takes place before Agent Carter)
Captain America - Winter Solider (has a brief scene that takes place in current time featuring a old Peggy, and several scenes where people talk about things Peggy did for the government)
Agent Carter One Shot that was on the first Captain America DVD (I think it takes place not long after this show end date- this one you can watch online). http://www.dailymoti...2013_shortfilms
I would add to this list and include the second Ironman movie because that's where the Black Widow program first shows up.

FYI, there is a Marvel Cinematic Universe-canon two-issue "Ant-Man Prelude" comic which will feature an older Peggy at the height the Cold War.  A preview of the first issue (including a scene with Peggy) is at http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=25811

• Love 2
Thompson's predicament is even more affecting when you remember that IJA troops in World War II had a long and storied habit of faking surrender or injury before they launched suicide attacks on American troops.

I did not know that, but I thought the soldiers were being pretty stupid walking into a sleeping camp of enemy soldiers in the middle of the night if they intended on surrendering. Usually, you make your intent to surrender quite clear as your approach the camp or you risk being killed (waving your white flag high and yelling that your surrender). I was also a little surprised to hear soldiers on Okinawa  planning on surrendering because surrending was famously rare for Japanese soldiers in that battle.

So, if they do have a habit of faking surrender, the story makes a lot more sense. The fact that one of them was leaning over the CO probably indicates that Thompson did in fact save the platoon. He should not have fallen asleep,  but those Japanese soldiers were either idiots or dangerous.

• Love 1

Yes, they were definitely trying to take advantage of the popularity of "The Imitation Game" by mentioning Turing.

Turing is a pretty famous figure, especially in the world of codebreaking. There's a statue to him and a major road named after him in Manchester, where he lived (okay, technically he lived in Wilmslow, now the abode of many premier league footballers). And I don't think you can really talk about Bletchley Park without mentioning Turing, because he was a key figure in the work done there.

I didn't even think of that. You're right, that was one of the biggest dangers of taking prisoners, on those Pacific islands. They would hide grenades on their person, and wait until they were within range of US soldiers or medics, before pulling the pins. So while I can buy the reasoning a few posts back, about the soldiers in Thompson's story perhaps being Korean or Okinawan citizens pressed into service, I just don't think a seasoned American soldier in that theatre of war would lose a whole lot of sleep over it. Clumsy writing.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

I think mr carter is an open question, depending on if we get more shows or a movie out of this...but I still like Sousa for the role. He's cute and a war hero and obviously a smart investigator and basically decent guy. I don't see the problem.

This. I like Sousa, and I like his chemistry with Peggy. I would be good with Thompson maybe sacrificing his life for Peggy somewhere down the line as a way to absolve himself of his guilt, and Peggy having a little misty sadness over it. But no more than that. :)

• Love 3

Turing is a pretty famous figure, especially in the world of codebreaking. There's a statue to him and a major road named after him in Manchester, where he lived (okay, technically he lived in Wilmslow, now the abode of many premier league footballers). And I don't think you can really talk about Bletchley Park without mentioning Turing, because he was a key figure in the work done there.

I didn't even think of that. You're right, that was one of the biggest dangers of taking prisoners, on those Pacific islands. They would hide grenades on their person, and wait until they were within range of US soldiers or medics, before pulling the pins. So while I can buy the reasoning a few posts back, about the soldiers in Thompson's story perhaps being Korean or Okinawan citizens pressed into service, I just don't think a seasoned American soldier in that theatre of war would lose a whole lot of sleep over it. Clumsy writing.

What I got from the movie was that a user like a SSR chief in 1946 would not have been in on the Ultra secret. It was held for decades. While they may have   washed the truth about the computer actually doing the decoding. Just having a NSA Agent of Agent Carter throw out the word one time pad and immediate decoding or translating job by Peggy Carter seemed more odd then Thompson's  story..

I remember The Big Red One movie where the sergeant killed a German after 11/11 armistice of WWI and almost did it again after the WWII surrender. I am sure that during the war, whenever the bomb got dropped he didn't care about it but after the guilt of falling asleep and immediately going into cover up mode . And now we have a year for PTSD to kick in over the incident.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Did Dottie recognize Peggy's knockout lipstick for what it was? I kept thinking she was going to use it on herself and save us all a lot of grief.

The way she sniffed at it and then smiled had me thinking that she knew exactly what it was.

• Love 6

How much did I love this? So, so much. It was great to see Peggy in the field, and learn more about Thompson, although I agree with this review: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/marvels-agent-carter-iron-ceiling-214761 That CMM is playing a time period archetype rather than a specific character. If I'm going to actually care how he feels about Peggy he needs to become someone specific. But what I really liked about this one is well it fits the historical context. For a comic book show, it fits really well into the actual historical period (apart from the MCU's decision to totally ignore segregation, of course).

Based on the past episode, it's October 1946 and the Cold War is just beginning. I've seen people wonder whether the show will feature a supervillain behind the theft, but it seems more and more like the enemy here is the real life supervillain known as Josef Stalin. It IS strange that the show never uses the words "Soviet Union" or "Stalin" since things were getting very tense in Eastern Europe about this time. The time period also fits for the theft of superweapons. In the real world, the Soviets were stripping East Germany bare, dismantling whole factories and shipping them back to Russia to help rebuild their war-devastated industrial capacity. This is the era when the US had a legitimate superweapon (the Bomb) and the Soviets didn't. It makes sense for the Russians to go to great lengths for a deterrent. I doubt Leviathan wants an attack on US soil - but whoever Leet Brannis was selling them to definitely did. Why?

The Red Room fits, because post-revolutionary Russia was awash with homeless children with no families. This was a huge social problem at the time, caused by civil war, famine, political repression and forced migrations that left literally millions of children with no families or homes. They were called "Besprizornye." Beginning in 1937, the children of political opponents who had been shot were put in special orphanages because the Stalinists believed in "socially inherited criminality." I'm pretty certain that our young assassins are all "children of enemies of the people," and the decision has been made to use their supposed inherent criminality to the benefit of the state by making them into assassins. It follows that they are handcuffed to the bed at night to prevent them from all killing each other when supervision is not present, since it is assumed they are inherently bad people. That's also why they are completely expendable, their trainers consider them to be inherently morally inferior. Although in the show Leviathan looks like it might be a separate organization in the mold of Hydra, the Red Room has Stalin's (and Beria's) fingerprints all over it. In addition, training female agents makes total sense because the USSR lost so many men during the war(s) that in 1946 the population is something close to 2/3 women. Unlike in the US, where woman are being displaced by returning men, in the Soviet Union, the men didn't return. Millions died, and the troops sent to Eastern Europe are still there as occupiers in 1946. Women are doing all kinds of jobs in Russia in 1946.

For context, Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech was on March 5, 1946. a little more than 7 months before "The Blitzkrieg Button."

Nitpick: Since it's 1946, Dooley's either lying or grossly misinformed when he says he's been talking to the Vice President of the United States.

Nice catch. The office was vacant until Truman's second term. This is, however, a fictional universe with a fictional president in the modern day. So - maybe in the MCU someone was appointed to fill the spot?

• Love 9

At first, I felt bad for flashback Dottie, having to kill her new found friend. And then I thought, what if she intentionally gave the girl bread to weaken her mentally, if she knew they were fighting that day? Dottie scares the crap out of me. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Peggy has a second, less obvious, method of checking if her room's been compromised. Dottie seemed very pleased with herself, finding all of Peggy's tricks like an A+ superspy student. I'd love it if Peggy had somehow rigged up the camera pen to start shooting once someone enters.

Ditto with finding Thompson's angst unbelievable. Vets of the pacific theatre saw just about every guerrilla tactic in the book, his COs would have written it off as a potential suicide run and still would have given him the medal. Wasn't there some story of a Japanese vet still camping in the woods because he didn't believe the war was over, and some hiker stumbled over him? And had to literally go find the man's old CO to hobble out there and tell him the war was over and to go home? They were committed. And I'd think anyone truly surrendering would make a racket on approach, precisely because they might get mowed down before they could wave the flag. 

Loved all the subtle check-ins with Carter from the Howling Commandos. "Are these chuckle-heads legit? Are we really doing this?" You could see Peggy loved every minute of it, too. It disappoints me that the show is 'white feminism only', this was an excellent opportunity to address racial inequalities as well. Peggy came back to a lack of respect, black vets came back and got lynched. Oh well, at least there are more black people running their own shows, so this doesn't sting as much. 

• Love 6

Ditto with finding Thompson's angst unbelievable. Vets of the pacific theatre saw just about every guerrilla tactic in the book, his COs would have written it off as a potential suicide run and still would have given him the medal. Wasn't there some story of a Japanese vet still camping in the woods because he didn't believe the war was over, and some hiker stumbled over him? And had to literally go find the man's old CO to hobble out there and tell him the war was over and to go home? They were committed. And I'd think anyone truly surrendering would make a racket on approach, precisely because they might get mowed down before they could wave the flag. 

Unless someone else showed up it was Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda who died last year was still fighting Filipino police in 1974 after losing his last two men in combat in 1972. The last known holdout was Private Teruo Nakamura who was also captured in 1974 but he was not actively still fighting just hiding in Indonesia.

I should add he was ordered not to make a suicide run but to remain a guerrilla fighter

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

I am surprised at how much I love this show.  AoS is one of my fallback shows - I like it a lot but if it waits a week or two on the dvr, nbd.  I would sacrifice it without a second thought if I could get Agent Carter in its place.

Here is where it gets embarrassing.  I have never seen a Marvel super-hero movie or read a Marvel comic book. I'm so frustrated, because I know I'm missing some of the good stuff.  I knew it in AoS, of course but didn't care. Now I care.  Can anyone tell me what movies to watch before the finale? 

For just Agent Carter alone I think everything you need has been in the show. If you are a fan of the MCU in general then you may have to see them all. However Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy

with their alien focus are only now coming into must see category as we are watching how Marvel is using aliens to deal with having no X-Men or mutants to fill out their super powered stable.

• Love 1

Loved the ep! Thompson's sob-story still doesn't make me like him. I like that it fleshes him out, but he spent one too many episodes being a jerk to Peggy and even Sousa. I'll probably punch a wall if he's the one Peggy ends up with in the future. Friendly co-workers are about all I think I can

handle with those two.

Sousa continues to be adorable. Fingers crossed that he's not evil. He looked so betrayed when he made the connection. And what happens next week :( :(

I'm liking the Chief more and more.

Good for Jarvis; learning to not tug his ear.

Dottie's crazy.

I'm a little confused though, I'm blanking out.

Was the general that Howard took a whack at the one involved with the Jarvis/Anna thing, or is this a different one?

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

FYI, there is a Marvel Cinematic Universe-canon two-issue "Ant-Man Prelude" comic which will feature an older Peggy at the height the Cold War.  A preview of the first issue (including a scene with Peggy) is at http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=25811

Isn't Peggy's part of Ant-Man supposed to be in the '60s? Even if it was 1969, she'd be 50. Peggy in that comic looks at least 65.

Based on the past episode, it's October 1946 and the Cold War is just beginning. 

Where did you get October from? I've been wondering exactly when in 1946 we are, and given how glitchy my DVR was last night, I very well may have missed something.

For just Agent Carter alone I think everything you need has been in the show. If you are a fan of the MCU in general then you may have to see them all. However Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy

For AoS, I've at least seen movie trailers that highlight some of the characters/themes.  And I knew there was a Captain America movie, but nothing about the characters or that Agent Carter was part of it.  AoS did not inspire me to look closer into the MCU but AC might.      

I would definitely recommend watching the first Capt. America film, if nothing else. I had only seen most of the first Iron Man movie on tv and have never read any of the comics, so when I went to see CA in the theaters, it was because I've always appreciated a good WWII film, not because of the superhero aspect. I looooved it so much, and when my friend (a lifelong Marvel fan) heard me say during the Avengers trailer that followed the movie, "Hey, is Tony Stark related to Howard?" she was shocked I knew so little and spent our dinner conversation getting me up to speed on the Marvel-verse.

Cap is still my favorite of the Avengers because he is so honest and noble and Chris Evans does a great job of portraying that. (I have a weakness for that type--see Helo in Battlestar Galactica, who is my favorite there!).

• Love 2

I think the first Cap movie is a must watch for fans of this show. Because it sets up Peggy's state of mind so well, with the relationship between her and Steve, and it gives Peggy a lot more context as to why she is in the SSR and why it's frustrating for her to not be taken seriously. Sure, we can see why she should be, because she's great, but when you've also seen how much she did during the war, you see just how ridiculous it is for her to be sidelined by her colleagues.

And if you've not seen Steve Rogers, then I think it's hard to appreciate just what Peggy lost, and why she's not likely to be getting over it any time soon. The guy is pretty awesome himself. Plus, there's more Howard, more Dum Dum, and those Howling Commandoes who didn't appear in this episode. And Bucky Barnes, who is one of my favourite Marvel characters.

• Love 7

I don't - at all, even a little - like Thompson, but keep in mind that this show takes place not too much after George Patton was sidelined for a year for slapping soldiers with PTSD because he thought they were cowards and weaklings. If Thompson wanted a career, or even to do that protecting democracy thing Peggy talks about, he had to make very sure that no-one realized that he was affected by what happened.

Although I agree with the folks above who said that the army didn't think of Japanese soldiers as human, and would have been fine with him killing them just because.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Sousa continues to be adorable. Fingers crossed that he's not evil. He looked so betrayed when he made the connection. And what happens next week :( :(

Good for Jarvis; learning to not tug his ear.

I love Jarvis (well, I love the whole show) but that thing about Jarvis tugging on his ear when he's lying is one of the most contrived plot devices I've ever seen.

I really like Sousa, too.

Although I agree with the folks above who said that the army didn't think of Japanese soldiers as human, and would have been fine with him killing them just because.

It is also believable if that the army (or Navy in this case) was fine with him killing them, doesn't mean that he doesn't still feel some guilt and it eats at him that people see him as a hero when he does not. Even people who kill in self-defense can still be left feeling bad about it.

And this all makes Thompson's character more believable. If he feels that he didn't deserve the accolades, I can see how he might try very hard to prove himself. If he feels that his lack of vigilence (by falling asleep) caused those deaths, he might not be able to let up for even one minute.  Look at his speech to Peggy about always being seen as a woman and you can see in a way that it is actually about himself. No matter what he does, to himself, he is still the guy who killed those men who were trying to surrender (it is interesting that this discussion occured after his successful interview with the dock drunk).  Bullies are often just simple jerks, but a lot of them are trying to cover for some serious internal conflicts. Sousa actually is a hero, but Thompson doesn't see himself that way... Doesn't make him a pleasent character, but it does provide a window into his motivations.

• Love 7

I enjoyed this episode. Good to see the Howling Commandos again. Liked seeing Peggy in a group where she is more respected then she normally is. Interesting to see the background of the Black Widow. Wish we had more Peggy and Jarvis. Also hope Sousa doesn't turn on her...

Something stupid was bugging me in Dottie's training flashback. It says 1937. Being a bit of a Disney nerd, that seemed too early for them to have Snow White on a film reel. I googled it, and sure enough, the film had it's premiere on December 21st. 1937. Since they do not look dressed for winter, this means they are watching the film before it is even released... I know it isn't important, just a nitpick as the MCU is usually better at continuity. Also; between this and the Age of Ultron trailer, they are getting a lot of use from their partnership with Disney...

He tricks Daniel into accidentally walking into Peggy changing, and Daniel sees a mark on her shoulder, that he recognizes from the pictures.  Uh oh!  Just don't act to hasty, Daniel!

My one complaint about an otherwise spectacular episode was the contrivance of Sousa seeing the scars on Peggy's shoulder, digging through her war records, and only THEN breaking out the magnifying glass to find the same scars on the mystery blonde. If they'd just briefly shown him poring over the photos and noticing that detail as an identifying mark at the start of the episode it would have made a lot more sense for him to zero in on that feature when he got the two second glimpse of Peggy and get suspicious afterwards. As it was, "Hmmm, my co-worker who spent two years in Europe fighting the Nazis has gunshot scars--she must be the woman I've been investigating!" just doesn't make much sense.

I don't want Skye to time travel back.

Maybe if she overshoots and lands in the mid-14th century?

• Love 2

I think he did notice the scars on the blonde in the photo before he saw Peggy in the locker room, because he zoomed in on them while he was looking at her. He knew he had seen them before and just verified his suspicions when he looked at the close up of the ohoto afterwards.

• Love 5

When our heroes were in the Leviathan facility all the beds had handcuffs on the headrails.  I'm guessing all the 'students' were forced to sleep cuffed to their beds and Dottie continues to do so into adulthood.  (If this answers a question you weren't asking, sorry.)

They showed the little girls being handcuffed to their beds in the opening flashback scene.

That was a lot of fun. Loved seeing Awesomely Competent Carter being allowed to show her Awesomely Competent Self to her colleagues rather than having to hide herself. And it wasn't just the sob story that made me warm to Thompson. I liked how despite his initial resistance to having Carter on the mission, he deferred to her in Russia. I also thought he'd be a douche once they got back to the US, but he proved me wrong again. So I guess I won't be TOO upset if he's the future Mr. Carter. Sigh. Even if he's still Chad Michael Murray.

I think Souza is Evil. Pure speculation on my part. He's just too blandly nice to be anything else.