Type keyword(s) to search

X Company - General Discussion

• Start Topic

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about anyone else but I was spellbound. The horrors of the Holocaust always upset me. The show does a phenomenal job of choosing the perfect scenes to illustrate these terrible times.

Aurora was put into several difficult situations and EB did a magnificent, realistic portrayal of disgust and fear followed by steely resolve. The actors are all bringing more than their A game and so I hope they receive the accolades they certainly deserve. 

• Love 4

Heidi is a bitter bitch I loved the expression on her face when Aurora got the invite over her. I do wonder what made her that way.

Its funny during last weeks Alfora drama I was thinking if those two had more chemistry it would have felt less like a whiny pissing match. (I know its not the most popular opinion but I've always felt like those two are an example of how you can't force chemistry)  Now they've gone and had whatever the hell that was with Faber who I think she might actually have negative chemistry with. Although I kind of hate the whole idea of Faber and Aurora in general. It feels like Kira hooking up with Dukat. There is something seriously creepy about the power differential those two have. I also feel like Franz's love for Sabine has been one of his most redeeming qualities and this undermines his character a lot.

• Love 2

This episode was difficult to watch -- wait, I feel like I say that every week about this show!

Heidi is a magnificently evil character and played so well by the actor. Aurora is so focussed on endgame (Voight) that she's not paying attention to how she is alienating her asset (Heidi). I am sure Aurora is aware that Heidi is fickle, but it seems like she's misjudged her own place with Heidi. At least, that's how I see the actors playing things.

That final scene with Faber was fantastic. Heidi heard some things she can use, certainly, but Faber and Aurora didn't say anything about working for the Allies or anything specific. They did reveal they both felt terribly about the things they had to do, though, which is almost as bad to a party person like Heidi. The only thing I felt would have helped the kiss scene a bit (because I read the post-ep review on tv-eh) would have been to make it more obvious that Faber was D-RUNK. The brief moment they show of him before Aurora arrives didn't seem to convey how drunk the writers seemed to have intended him to be. In spite of that, though, I wanted someone on tumblr to have gif'd that scene. The fandom has let me down! I'd watch Torben in anything, I think.

I love the tension between Faber and Aurora. While they were talking I was saying to my husband, "They're standing too close together!!" which of course foreshadowed the inevitable. I don't doubt that Faber loves and cherishes Sabine, but I also don't doubt that he's attracted to Aurora. She's beautiful, she's tough, and she's a peer - something he rarely encounters, I'd wager. I thought that scene was fantastic.

I actually think the scenes with Aurora and Alfred are getting better, as he becomes more of an independent person. I didn't really see the attraction before, other than "it's wartime, so kiss".

Only three episodes left :(

• Love 2
On 2017-02-25 at 7:40 AM, mledawn said:

I love the tension between Faber and Aurora. While they were talking I was saying to my husband, "They're standing too close together!!" which of course foreshadowed the inevitable. I don't doubt that Faber loves and cherishes Sabine, but I also don't doubt that he's attracted to Aurora. She's beautiful, she's tough, and she's a peer - something he rarely encounters, I'd wager. I thought that scene was fantastic.

I actually think the scenes with Aurora and Alfred are getting better, as he becomes more of an independent person. I didn't really see the attraction before, other than "it's wartime, so kiss".

Only three episodes left :(

I don't mind the tension so much I just wish if they were going to go with a drunken comfort hook up I almost wish they'd gone with Neil. It would be extremely weird but would have felt less like bad Nazi fanfic. At least Neil respects Aurora, I'm not sure I could say the same of Faber. The whole power dynamic is so messed up between her and Faber anything romantic between them would feel unsettling to me. It also goes back to what I was saying a few episodes ago about Faber taking over to much of the show. Faber is a great antagonist but it feels like to much to make him someone our hero would actually be attracted to. Even if we overlook that he has spent the last year stalking and trying to kill her.  The idea that Aurora could kiss anyone in that uniform feels like a betrayal of the character.

I just feel like Alfred and Aurora are an example of why you should always do chemistry testing before you settle on your main romance arc. Frankly Aurora had better chemistry with Tom or even Neil in an angry way than she is supposed to have with Alfred.  Its always felt to me that Alfred liked Aurora a lot and that she was mildly interested in him. 

• Love 1

See ya Heidi, you Nazi asshole (redundant?)! I'm sorry to say that the sight of Heidi and Aurora running down that country lane in pencil skirts and heels made me giggle. I loved Aurora's final line to Heidi - I can't even imagine the toll this whole thing is taking on her more than anyone else. I mean, Neil has lost his family, but Aurora is Jewish. This whole Final Solution isn't about just her family (obviously).

I found Sabine's acceptance of Neil's request and her concern for Aurora to be slightly out of character. It didn't seem that long ago she was unhappy with the Allied crew. I know she saw the bulletholes and the valuables sewn into seams, but it still appears to be a bit of a 180. I do like that she has finally seen her father for who he is and perhaps understood what Franz meant when he said they couldn't deny her father the "gift" of Anya.

FABER!!! Argh, I still don't know what to think. I didn't believe he'd completely flipped to the Allies, but I also don't believe he's loyal to the Nazi's. However, that's some damn quick thinking on his part and I am impressed. He didn't reveal everything to Schmidt so he's not telling the whole truth to either side. And Edsel, you little bastard - Faber handled him really well, too. Very annoying how human this Nazi is, in many ways (clearly, Stephanie and Mark's calling card - see also: Flashpoint).

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't believe Faber was telling the truth to Schmidt. For one, when Sabine was so against Franz helping the allies, he easily could have told her that he was only pretending to work for the allies - this would have protected her as well as motivated her to 'play nice'. Also, Faber specifically told Schmidt that he selected the wrong factory for the resistance to attack in order to keep them unaware of Voigt. However, he volunteered information about Voigt to Alfred - nobody made him do that. I think Faber is careful with his actions in order to be able to maintain the ruse to his superiors that he is only pretending to be a double agent - specifically for the situation where he is 'found out' - but I don't believe he really is. Having said that, I don't think he will hesitate to use Sinclair's son the same way Sinclair used Sabine to coerce Faber into doing things he didn't want to do.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 3

Yeah I'm pretty much on the side of Faber is out for Faber more than any particular side. He's not stupid he knows the Allies will shoot him without a second thought so he is trying to play both sides for as long as he can. I don't think he has any loyalty to the Reich I just don't think he trusts the allies  either. He's spent so long hearing propaganda and fighting England and Canada he can't quite trust them. He's not completely wrong either defectors were all arrested and held for the duration of the war without any exceptions that I know of. Most of them were handed over to the Nuremburg tribunal's as well. I noticed when I looked it up that the leaders who perpetrated the massacre in Terre-du-Fils in real life were ultimately executed by the French government. Faber will have to do a lot of maneuvering to avoid that fate.

That poor Anya is just heartbreaking there is just no way she comes out of this not fucked up. Sabine on the other and annoyed me last night. There is a fucking war on and people are dying you know this. Why do you insist on whining about what you want?  I did like though that once she realized how culpable her father is she was happy to help Aurora. I hope they remember to tell her what's going on next week she might be useful if only as a distraction.

Also I loved the moment between Aurora and Neil. It so rare that male and female friendships are shown to have this kind of depth. Or that the man is allowed to be the caregiver of the two.

• Love 3

I think Faber is so conflicted, he doesn't really know what he is going to do.

It is clear he does not trust the allies, he is playing along, but also trying to get some leverage - which he did with Sinclair's son.

He also hates his father in law because of Ulli. 

Watching Aurora yesterday I was just thinking how can they keep it together. They have been in Europe for what, a year, less than that, and so much has happened, so many losses, so many close calls. 

I see many deaths in the last two episodes of this show. Many.

• Love 2

Yeah I actually got to see Hugh Dillion die twice last night. First in X Company then again in the previouslys on The Expanse.

Last night was good although it felt like a lot of set up and only a little payoff. I was also annoyed at the whole Nazi's recap the series moment. I think it was meant to be a tribute but it felt more like filler given the context. It would have been better if it had been Mayhew defending the team to his superiors or something like that. As is it felt like more of the Faber show which I am really ready to be done with.

I did love Anya and Sabine though it was really cute. I just hope it has some payoff. Otherwise its just filler. Personally I hope Sabine ends dealing out a little patricide in the finale.

I also hope the anvils their dropping about Aurora are false and she pulls through. If we have to lose another member of the team I hope its Alfred. He's my least favourite of the surviving three and I actually think it would be a truly unexpected move.

Sinclair dying with a gunshot to the head - a very Joe Dick moment from Hugh! Hugh's scenes with the dude who played William were also great.

Sinclair was a man dedicated to the war effort. He understood the bigger picture, and I was not at all surprised at his endgame. As he said, the Nazi's torturing William in front of him would break him and he couldn't have that. I love how the Nazi's underestimated him, assumed he'd be some desk jockey and weren't prepared for him to overwhelm the guard and grab a gun. He sacrificed those green recruits, and he sacrificed himself. What a fantastic character.

I really enjoyed Neil and Sinclair together this episode. I think having Neil hear Sinclair explain and justify his decisions will help Neil deal with what has happened this season. For however much longer Neil will be alive, that is... Someone speculated everyone dies except Alfred, which would bring it full circle and it does make sense if we consider how the series began with him.

Faber seems to be trying to support the Allies in his roundabout way, while protecting himself. He seemed genuinely agitated that they were taking Sinclair out of his hands, and while he did have the William bait and switch, I think he felt he'd find a way to sort it. I have only watched the episode once, and I think I'll pay a bit more attention to that storyline when I watch it again. I don't think it was simply being undermined by his higher-ups that had Faber frustrated, is what I'm trying to say. I think he was still trying to get the spies out safely. He also seems to have a genuine yet begrudging respect for Aurora - their scene in the theatre was...nice? As nice as it gets when a Jewish woman believes she is extorting a Nazi.

The only thing that rang false to me were the scenes with Alfred and Aurora. It suddenly occurred to me that Jack Laskey was underutilised much of the show, as he is allowed a bit more range in those scenes, however; Confrontational Alfred isn't someone we have seen at all to this point, so it seemed a bit false. And also, if you're two spies with a year(?) of UST under your belts, rushing to plant an explosive and a heart-attack-inducing needle into painting frames, Y'ALL DON'T HAVE TIME TO HAVE SEX ON THE GROUND, AMONGST DROPCLOTHS AND SUCH. That was ridiculous. You're hot and heavy up against some artwork or the shelving.

Last episode next week! SIGH.

• Love 3

I am still not sold on Faber being with the allies. I think he had a real connection with Sinclair because if Ulli, the two were much alike as fathers. They could not see other murdering their sons. But I don't think this will ever be clear. Faber is too conflicted, and Sabine is more conscious of her father's ideology, and that this is the Nazis' ideology. I think it will end like it probably ended for many real lives: they just keep doing what they feel they need to do, because this is human nature. 

Aurora and Alfred was a shout out to the Alfora's fans, I think. The tension of the moment would not allow for sex. At least not fulfilling sex.

Now, Kristina, is in total charge. Walks is, does her thing, walks out. Badass.

• Love 2

I thought there would be postings here already!

I had tickets to go to the screening in Toronto but wasn't able to at the last minute. It looks like there was great interaction with the fans before the screening, and then some solid BTS chatter in the Q&A afterwards. Torben showed up with a moustache, black turtleneck, and grey suit jacket - the stereotypical 80s German man. Awesome.

As for the show itself, I liked it. I liked that Neil survived, and used his brains to work his way out of a situation. I didn't even realise William was still alive at that point in the whole thing, so that was nice.

I had a whole big thing typed up that just disappeared so I am deflated and unmotivated to write it all down again, however; Aurora and Faber scenes were my favourite. Faber's ending was perfect. Sabine's ending was great.

Ultimately the show wrapped up nicely and more than Alfred survived, so: WIN.

• Love 3

The finale was very, very well done. I like the direction, even the slow motion (not a fan) because it was so fitting. 

Love everything Aurora did. Evelyne Brochu was perfect. Her interaction with Torben was so organic, it gave me chills. I think Torben ended up being the big revelation of the show. I don't think the producers expected that. Such great acting! 

Neil also grew so much over the series. I thought they were going to kill him. I was a little disappointed with the easiness of the escape. On the other hand, it makes me think of what happened to all the characters we didn't get a clear conclusion to.

And Sabine. I just wished we had had time to see more of her development. I wish we had seen her just changing from the privileged, cuddled and spoiled not-quite-grown-up to a woman taking matters, and her future, in her own hands. 

Very nice touch to finish with Alfred's synesthesia. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This episode was intense! I didn't actually think Aurora would be killed, but I was still worried!

RIP Harry. I didn't see that coming.

Aurora working with the Nazis? Whew. That's quite a coup. But dang. She's really going to be deep in it and totally alone. 

I'm glad they aren't shying away from the brutality of WW2. This is what the Nazis were and worse. It does a disservice to the history, the people who lived through it, and this story to gloss over that.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 2/28/2017 at 10:34 PM, Emily Thrace said:

Its always felt to me that Alfred liked Aurora a lot and that she was mildly interested in him. 

Amen to this! Evelyn Brochu is radiant and has so much chemistry with so many actors. But Alfred feels like such a dud. I mean...when she told him she wasn't into him and didn't feel for him what she did with Rene, even though it was on Sinclair's order, it seemed like the most honest thing she'd told him in awhile.

I didn't like the Faber/Aurora kiss. I get that they're both close to breaking and hate themselves, but I don't buy that he'd kiss he, even drunk. 

This episode was really hard to watch. Heidi is awful. I hope Aurora gets to kill her.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Good lord, I can't stand Alfred. The mansplaining is strong with that one. STFU, Alfred. Aurora's a way better spy than you are. Tougher too. 

Sex in the art room was ridiculous, and I wish the show hadn't forced the Alfred/Aurora relationship. 

I liked the addition of Kristina to the field team and wish that had come sooner.

I have no idea what side Faber is on, other than his own.

• Love 1
On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2015 at 5:43 AM, Emily Thrace said:

God I love this show. Its dark but its still makes room for humor. Aurora is so fucking awesome(seriously this show is like a study in how women can succeed in a command position). Neil made me cry, and so did the Nazi. Its definitely one oft he best things on television anywhere not just the CBC. After the disappointment of Strange Empire I am so glad this show lived up and personally surpassed the hype.

The IRA element could be problematic as I don't believe they were ever even loosely aligned with the Nazis. For one the Nazi's thought of the Irish as lower lifeforms not full on vermin but not Aryan much like they thought of Poland or the Soviets. I'm going to assume this girl is a gunrunner who got stuck in France after the invasion who is trying to survive. It was a nice touch on  the shows part though, to have say her husband was shot for his resistance but not have her say which resistance he was a part of. 

Nope, the IRA hand in glove supported the Nazis, an extremist nationalist movement which wished to exterminate  a political, religious and ethnic minority to have a totalitarian state where everyone is the same. They had a lot in common. The rest of the Irish Free State wasn't far behind, their neutrality almost lost us the war. 

On 3/12/2015 at 8:30 PM, Emily Thrace said:

she is definitely based on someone real.

Jazz singer Josephine Baker emigrated to France in the 30's, gave up her US citizenship for French citizenship, and entertained throughout WWII in the South of France (after Paris was captured) and other places throughout the world.  I mention this because she was active in the French Resistance the entire time.

I was expecting the British airman to be a plant by the Germans, for some odd reason.

Just a reminder that this thread is for discussion of events that happened within the episode. Any discussion of actual events from the war that are tangentially related to the events of the show, especially when they detract from the actual show discussion, should probably go here

I thought they were lucky to get out of that camp alive anyway.  You would think that the German patrol that Martin sent back would have contacted their commanders and received approval for the raid first, and certainly when nothing came of it a larger group of soldiers would have been sent out for recon.

Considering that all this is happening the day after the massacre of the civilians, I think it would be stupid to organize a raid on that factory, even if they were intending to keep the French out of the factory ahead of the bombing.  The Germans would drop to the sequence of events, and bring the manager in for interrogation straight away, and he didn't strike me as a tough individual. 

Note to the forum:  Obviously, all episodes up to this point have been aired in the US.

On 3/17/2016 at 10:42 PM, Emily Thrace said:

I am surprised the show hasn't been picked up out side of Canada.

It's obviously been awhile, but it is showing in the US now.  Despite the "Unaired" warnings by the topics.

22 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It's obviously been awhile, but it is showing in the US now.  Despite the "Unaired" warnings by the topics.

Sorry, with the problems we've been having with episode threads lately, I didn't think I could remove the tags without messing up the formatting.

Finally watching this season way late. The last episode of Season 2 with losing Tom was hard, and had to work up the nerve to watch this show, which always makes me cry.

Good episode, loved Alfred stopping Faber from leaving and Sinclair shooting. 

Well, I was a bit disappointed in a few scenes.  Specifically, that crew needs to find some deserted woods and practice their weapons.  They should have dispatched that squad in no time at all.  And then, don't stand around looking at the tank roll up on you.  Some farmer sure got his field chewed up.

The Royal Army guys missed out on killing the top echelon of the Gestapo upstairs.  Too bad Alfred didn't direct them up that way. 

I'm a bit confused by Mia's situation.  Although it was a Luger pointed at her, there wasn't a definite sign that she was captured by a German soldier.  How would he get into and through the church without encountering Alfred +4?  Did he come through the tunnel immediately after they left?  Why choose that route instead of the gunfight outside?

Something was just off in the schoolroom scene.  Harry blasts Aurora for being late, and she looks like she's about to burst into tears.  That little shit needs to lead a charge, instead of coming up with disastrous plans.

Question:  All through the series it is shown that the team is talking directly with Camp X in Canada all the way from France.  Did the portable shortwave radios of the time have enough power to do that?

Well, I didn't find this episode all that engrossing, even bordering on cringeworthy at times.  I get that it is not a documentary or anything approaching that, and the emphasis is more on the relationships between the spies, but there were scenes that just didn't ring true.  The whole group arguing about what to do with the radar station; the tearful hugs and handshakes in the middle of an invasion gunfight; Harry petrified at the loss of his comrade ( I would have grabbed the radio case and said 'see ya'), and then grabbing and punching the guard on the beach, for instance.  It's just not how I would expect real characters to behave.

When they cut the phone lines, I was thinking that the Germans would send out a bigger patrol to find them, and that was what they were hoping for, so the radar station could be taken more easily. 

Aurora and Alfred are lucky Faber didn't just gun them down as soon as he walked in the door.  That's what any high ranking Gestapo agent would have done, just on principle.  Or, for that matter, any high ranking officer of any army.

Is there any evidence of Gestapo officers turning against Germany that early in the war?  I wouldn't think so, being that they were still winning the western front, but who knows?

On 16/07/2018 at 11:14 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Well, I didn't find this episode all that engrossing, even bordering on cringeworthy at times.  I get that it is not a documentary or anything approaching that, and the emphasis is more on the relationships between the spies, but there were scenes that just didn't ring true.  The whole group arguing about what to do with the radar station; the tearful hugs and handshakes in the middle of an invasion gunfight; Harry petrified at the loss of his comrade ( I would have grabbed the radio case and said 'see ya'), and then grabbing and punching the guard on the beach, for instance.  It's just not how I would expect real characters to behave.

When they cut the phone lines, I was thinking that the Germans would send out a bigger patrol to find them, and that was what they were hoping for, so the radar station could be taken more easily. 

Aurora and Alfred are lucky Faber didn't just gun them down as soon as he walked in the door.  That's what any high ranking Gestapo agent would have done, just on principle.  Or, for that matter, any high ranking officer of any army.

Is there any evidence of Gestapo officers turning against Germany that early in the war?  I wouldn't think so, being that they were still winning the western front, but who knows?

The radar station was miles from where the attacks were happening and the station was focused on the beach,. The team had a fair amount of time to plan a strike. In fact rushing in without a plan would have been suicidal in that case. It would have helped if they had been able to show how well defended the station was but I'm guessing that was a budget issue more than anything else. You can review the actual mission carried out by the SOE for the most part on Wikipedia though. The Canadian documents regarding the mission have all been declassified.  The team really didn't have a prayer of taking the station without explosives or back up. In fact in real life none of the agents involved made it off the beach. Having read about the mission the show was actually fairly accurate with the exception of the team being able to escape. 

Gestapo agents and German officers changed sides throughout the war for a number of reasons. Some for political reason others for more personal ones.  There were even some who were just plain bribed. There were 77000 Germans executed by the Gestapo for various acts of resistance throughout the war and thousands more sent to prison camps. Most were not targeted by the SOE and were part of the German resistance movements or committed their own acts of defiance. Its hard to say if a team flipped a Gestapo agent at this point of the war specifically, since the British SOE files are still classified. It has been said though that the Casablanca Conference was partly a cover for German resistance to meet with the Allies and that was only about six months later. So its likely there was some contact between the SOE and Nazi officers sympathetic to the Allies at that time.  

Just got through season one on Hulu-- I am in love with this show and its characters. So upset that the second season is not on Hulu (or anywhere else I can find) yet. 

Neil and Tom writing the poem together was probably my favorite moment... a nice little interlude between all the action. Alfred and Aurora broke my heart.

Yay, my season 2 dvds arrived! I was somewhat spoiled on this episode due to watching lots of promos and fanvids and basically whatever I could find on Youtube, but wow, the scenes between Alfred and Faber...!!!

And Alfred reciting the typewriter serial codes was darkly hilarious.

Also, having watched the season one finale so recently, it was very noticeable that Tom's bullet wound shifted position. It was dead center in his belly last season, and here it had migrated up his left side a bit to a less lethal location. Which seemed odd... surely they knew in the finale that they weren't going to kill him off, they could have positioned it better then. Regardless, Neil looking out for him was beyond adorable (including pocketing the morphine before he ran out with the flares so Tom couldn't do anything), as was Tom trying to comfort Neil even though he's the one who was dying.

I love how intense this show is, and how it also offers its little moments of humor. Pretend-drunk French Neil is made of win.

I also love Alfred's empathy, which was shown very early on in the series. I remember being so impressed in the third episode of season one-- it was only his second mission, and he had killed the soldier who tried to apprehend him when he was switching the photo of Aurora and was terrified, and yet he was comforting the scared physicist they rescued and having Harry rub the grass on his hands to calm him down. Throughout season one he was always trying to make people feel better, and it was so evident again in this episode with Rene. Loved how he repeated Faber's story word for word, and was constantly figuring out what to do next.

That poor driver whose car Harry hijacked is going to have some serious 'splainin to do when he goes to reclaim his car.  "What were you doing out by the traitor's camp?" "A man stole my car. I have no idea where he took it."  "Mmm hmm...."

Well, Oberstinkinfuehuer Sabine's father, I hope that you die painfully and get to meet that other supercilious pig in the afterlife who got Ulli killed.  I wonder if Sabine is going to stick a knife in him at some point.

Neil and Harry, at least don't do something really stupid.  I know you'll do something stupid, but keep it down some, okay?

Guess whose bar is offering free drink specials until further notice?

I agree that the synesthesia got a little forgotten. Alfred did cover his ears for a minute but how much of this is what would actually happen? Can someone simply not have the reactions after a while?

I suspect some of Alfred's issues with gunshots and loud noises was because his father's suicide. Severe emotional trauma plus his synethesia overwhelming him. I think he has learned to channel it not unlike he learned to channel his pain when he was being interrogated.  Not to mention its truly amazing how quickly people can learn to do something when their life depends on. it. I also think from a motivation stand point Alfred felt he was defective and had not real value before the war so he didn't have a reason to overcome his synesthesia.

I actually thought this was the most like "old Alfred" we'd seen him in awhile. He was cringing and looked quite freaked out (understandably) and was trying to cover his ears while shooting. I agree that he has gotten to a point where he just kind of forces himself to do stuff. The growth of his character this season has been really interesting to watch. Still might have been nice of Sinclair to include earplugs in his package.

And speaking of what Sinclair sent... did he include the sledgehammer? Because that would have been fairly heavy to lug around and Alfred's suitcase didn't look that big. But otherwise we're supposed to believe it was just conveniently there?

Loved Alfred's, "Don't shoot, I'm Canadian!" as well as his rather deadpan, "They figured out we're spies," as he introduced the four soldiers to the team. Plus him pointing out that the soldiers couldn't be passed off as his prisoners since they were still carrying their guns.

The Royal Army guys missed out on killing the top echelon of the Gestapo upstairs.  Too bad Alfred didn't direct them up that way.

I think he figured that was a suicide mission, and their services might be better utilized with the team.

I'm a bit confused by Mia's situation.  Although it was a Luger pointed at her, there wasn't a definite sign that she was captured by a German soldier.  How would he get into and through the church without encountering Alfred +4?  Did he come through the tunnel immediately after they left?  Why choose that route instead of the gunfight outside?

Because the church and the hotel were two different places? The tunnel wasn't in the church; we see Miri leave the building Alfred entered and lead the soldier she kills into the church. And when Alfred looks behind him after Miri picks off the Germans for him, it appears to be a decent distance away.

Does anyone else really want to know what happened to Neil's Chinese girlfriend? This is the second time Tom has brought her up as kind of a joke, but given the fact that Neil's backstory is littered with corpses... Even if she didn't die and it was more of a couldn't-be-together-for-cultural-reasons thing, Tom might appreciate the fact that it clearly didn't end well and stop bringing her up!

And speaking of Tom... clearly the team doesn't know about his relationship with Krystina, and yet it wasn't particularly a secret at Camp X. (The women kept giving Krystina pointed updates on Tom's condition and whereabouts when he was on his way home, and whatever beans were left to spill were spilled when they had that big public kiss.) Interesting that he chose not to tell Neil.

• Love 1

Harry petrified at the loss of his comrade ( I would have grabbed the radio case and said 'see ya'), and then grabbing and punching the guard on the beach, for instance.  It's just not how I would expect real characters to behave.

I thought Harry's reaction fit perfectly with what we've seen from him this season. It wasn't a "smart" reaction, but he was overdue for a breakdown, and it rang true.

I have to admit I did think that the guard he beat up not shooting him while he was hugging Neil was a bit unbelievable, though. Also unbelievable-- it's August, but everyone was very heavily dressed. I swear I saw Tom's breath at one point in the beginning when he was talking to Aurora. I'm assuming this was filmed in a colder month and they didn't want to have the actors freeze to death by taking off their sweaters and jackets, but maybe don't title the episode with such a blatant reminder that it's summer? Or are French summers just really cold?

On a more serious note, Warren Brown was the MVP of this episode. I was thoroughly spoiled about Tom's death, but seeing Neil cry at the end with Aurora made me tear up.

I like that Franz gets to be a smart character. We've seen him noticing things the other Nazis don't notice in previous seasons, and now he points out all the flaws in Sinclair's team right off the bat. "Your vaudvillian's in love with Aurora." Ha! Sinclair's really not good at picking up on the romantic relationships, is he? I couldn't believe he wasn't aware of Tom/ Krystina and that was going on right under his nose.

I'm still annoyed with Harry for last season, even if his attitude seems to have improved now. I was glad he went with Neil, though. And I loved Neil's comment about couldn't he have stolen a better car. As long as Neil's still snarking, I won't be too worried about him.

• Love 1

Grrr... Miri's death was awful to begin with, and then they kill off the character she died "saving" in the next episode? I mean, I get that Rigaud did set some important things in motion before he died, and that, as Harry pointed out in the previous episode, Rigaud turning himself in would probably not have saved the prisoners anyway, but still. And Rigaud's whole my-death-doesn't-matter/ I'm-not-afraid-to-die spiel to Neil and Faber didn't really jive with what we saw from him in the previous episode. Maybe he should've told the prisoners who he was when he was giving them the bread and let them decide whether they wanted to die for him.

And I realize this show has been all over the place in terms of subtitles and accents, but Rigaud's speech appeared to be written in English and Neil was reading it in his own voice... is English really the best choice for a rallying speech for the French resistance??

That said, I did love Neil insisting that the speech be given, and ad libbing the second half of it. Between this and his contribution to the Marianne poem in season one, he has quite the way with words. 

As for Alfora... does Aurora not recall that Alfred can taste when she's lying? And that it's far easier to lie to Sinclair? And that telling him she doesn't love him does little to change how he feels for her, which was Sinclair's problem in the first place?

*sigh* I love this show, but I'm getting worried about how everything is going to end.

• Love 1

Maybe I just checked out a little after Miri but I'm starting to feel numb to some of this shows tricks. The second that kid spoke I new he would die. It was just a matter of whether or not it would actually happen during the episode or if we just see him walking towards the camp. That's the other problem with being so kill happy eventually it isn't effective it just feels predictable.

It may be predictable, but I think it kind of works? In terms of realism, lots of people were dying. It's not fun to watch, but I think it serves its purpose. Watching Neil and Alfred look so numb at the end mirrored how I felt. And in terms of the passage of time on this show... has it been a week since Tom died? Maybe ten days, tops? Yikes.

I loved Alfred rubbing his hands in the dried grass afterwards, a callback to early season one when he makes Harry rub his hands in the grass to get rid of the smell of gunpowder and Harry says it reminds him of Christie Pitts. It's subtle little things like that that really make the show for me.

• Love 1

This was by far my favorite episode of season three so far. It seemed like the team never gets a victory any more, and maybe killing Heidi wasn't a victory, per se, but damn was it satisfying!

Also I loved the moment between Aurora and Neil. It so rare that male and female friendships are shown to have this kind of depth. Or that the man is allowed to be the caregiver of the two.

I love those two as friends. Also interesting to read that the kiss wasn't scripted, but ad libbed by Warren Brown. (https://www.thetvjunkies.com/x-company-mark-ellis-stephanie-morgenstern-talk-naqam/ )

They have been in Europe for what, a year, less than that,

A lot less. In the beginning of season two, Sinclair mentions he's known Alfred thirteen weeks. So season one lasted thirteen weeks. Season two lasted only four. I don't think they've mentioned a month in the last couple episodes, but the first few episodes of season 3 were still in August (and season two ended Aug. 19). It's conceivable that the whole series might span under six months, which is crazy! Aurora, Neil, and Alfred need more hugs.

• Love 1