Type keyword(s) to search

X Company - General Discussion

• Start Topic

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great episode, I was nervous the entire time not knowing if Alfred would break or Tom would die. The nurse dying was unexpected but I'm glad she wasn't betraying the team a second time. Can't believe I feel bad for a Nazi but I do.

Great episode, I was nervous the entire time not knowing if Alfred would break or Tom would die. The nurse dying was unexpected but I'm glad she wasn't betraying the team a second time. Can't believe I feel bad for a Nazi but I do.

I think this show is actually really good at making you empathize with (some) Nazis. For example, there was the closeted gay Nazi, the guy that they captured and then Neil killed, and also Faber. I feel like they've been working towards Faber seeing Alfred as a kind of surrogate for Ulli, and it became quite clear in this episode. I'm not sure if that will be enough for him to actually do anything to help Alfred, though.

As soon as Siobhan looked back at Harry after talking to the newspaper woman, I knew she was going to try to kill herself, but poor Harry!

Yay for Sinclair finally coming into the field. I'm excited to see how that works, because if he is there, Aurora is no longer the commanding officer in the field. It throws the whole team dynamics off.

And we can't forget, Rene is still out there! I suspect that Alfred will be taken to wherever Rene is, since they're both "high value" prisoners. Rene definitely wasn't in Berlin, though. He had to have been in Paris, since he saw the flyers with the poem dropping from the sky.

• Love 2

I totally forgot about the others secnarf, but you're right. 

But the other one that works with Faber(I forget his name, the one that made "arrangements for Ulli to be taken), I want to straight up punch.

• Love 3

Siobhan stepping in front of a truck was shocking even though I really didn't expect her to last much longer. Although I was taken aback for moment earlier when the desk clerk said her name what are the odds a Nazi desk jockey would actually know who to pronounce Siobhan in 1943?

Sinclair is in the field yeah I can wait to see that.

I liked the moment between Neal and Siobhan. I didn't like it for Neal (who is probably my favorite character actually) but I liked that the show pointed it out. To Siobhan, Neal (or at least the government Neal represents) isn't all that different from the Nazis and I like that the show isn't trying to shy away from that.

Alfred's synesthesia helping him block out the torture was in interesting twist.  Its also something that's fairly accurate for his condition. Although I'm worried they seem to be leaning on that a lot. I would hate for Alfred to become a character who is defined by his difference instead of a well rounded character that just happens to have a difference.

Also still loving Faber and I'm still amazed at how much TPTB have made me care about a fucking SS man.

Although I'm worried they seem to be leaning on that a lot. I would hate for Alfred to become a character who is defined by his difference instead of a well rounded character that just happens to have a difference.

I read something yesterday that gives another view of this, one that I like better: shed a lot of light in the neurodivergence. Make it acceptable to be who he is and still be part of the whole drama. And the recurring theme of T-4 is also great. Most people don't even know that this kind of thing still exists. Disabled people are being "legally eliminated" and for some of the same reasons the Nazi's used as reasoning. 

I knew Sinclair was going to end up in France. As soon as Hugh Dillon posted a photo of the plane during a night shoot, and a photo of him practicing shooting, he gave it away. 

Speculation 1: Faber is taking Alfred to see Rene and will threat to kill him, since Alfred is not afraid of dying.

Speculation 2: We will meet Sinclair's lost son

Speculation 3: Sinclair will die

This first episode was far superior than anything on season 1 and I am excited for the next ones

The Nazi we all want to punch is Forst

Edited by alexvillage
  • Love 1

I look forward to this show every week. The acting is excellent and it's interesting to watch as each character develops and interacts with the other group members. I'm not sure how accurate it is historically but it is at least plausible.

I have the feeling that Faber is going to help free Alfred because of his" being different" , much like Ulli was different.

• Love 2

The show is very well researched. I am sure there are some stretches - as I believe it should, to appeal t a larger audience. It is not a documentary, after all.

Stephanie said that the broken glass scene is very real. I know that the disability issue, T-4 is totally accurate. They are going to Dieppe and that really happened. What they do is to introduce the spy plot into the historical events, still not interfering with the outcomes

• Love 1

Yeah ,what I said upthread about Faber? Not so much. Not surprised about Forst. I hope to see more of Ernst and Sinclair. 

The scene with the glass and then the gas soaked rag was so intense!

IA with the smooth introduction of the spy plot into actual events. As I said, it's all very plausible which only adds to the enjoyment of the program. No eye rolling from this viewer! 

• Love 1

I definitely need to watch this episode at least once more to get a full handle on it, but a few things after the first viewing:

-The look on Aurora's face when she sees Rene for the first time, and the look on Alfred's right before when he realizes she is there

-It took me a few seconds to realize what was going on with the rag. When I caught on, I'm sure my face mirrored Alfred's. I actually thought they might have Rene die before seeing Aurora again, and that made the scene even more powerful, because it wasn't like with Alfred, I'm sure they're not going to kill him off. They could easily kill Rene off.

-Also in that scene, how Alfred started repeating the story Faber had told him earlier - I thought that was such an Alfred thing to do, and I wonder what the impact would have been in Forst hadn't come in at that moment. Would Alfred have gotten through to Faber? I think probably not, but it was still a really good last-ditch effort.

-The bit about Faber's wife sleeping on the couch was sad - I wonder if she "fell asleep" on the couch or if she just hasn't been able to sleep in the same bed with him, knowing that he was complicit in the murders of "defective" children. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of her.

Such an intense episode. And the promo looks like the next episode will be intense as well! I can't wait.

• Love 3

I've been travelling for work and not had a chance to comment yet this season, but what an episode: fantastic and tense! The acting was very good with so many of the players doing so much with expressions and not words (to your first point, secnarf - agreed). The hour flew by, and in this age of binge watching, I was so frustrated and pleased at being forced to wait a week for more.

The costumes are very good, and that suit Hugh Dillon wore to meet his Nazi friend - I'd be asking for Wardrobe for that to take home. I loved the German's comment about his lack of hair, too. Heh. Nice callback to Hugh's Flashpoint days with the sniper shots during the ambush as well.

PatsyandEddie, I also was confused about the look on Faber's wife's face - I didn't know how we should be reading that.

Like I said - can't wait for the next episode!

• Love 2

My heart was beating so fast during the ambush scenes. Didn't think they would kill Forst so early in the season considering he is one of the main characters from the Nazi side. He did bring it on himself and what Faber said to him before was spot on; he would have seen the ambush coming if he wasn't so determined to undermine Faber. 

• Love 1

Something I noticed right away Sinclair wasn't aiming for a rescue. The original intent of the ambush was actually to kill Alfred. It was sheer dumb luck it all went to hell and they had to improvise.(And you know the show isn't going to kill one of its leads). Its a nice level of realism for the show. It was war hard choices were made and the show doesn't shy away from that.

Also Fabers story has taken a turn I wasn't expecting. At first I thought the point of his character was to have someone turn and come over to our teams side in a time of need. Now I suspect they're actually trying show the story of someone who became a monster of the course of the war. Its actually the harder story to tell and the more interesting one . He starts a reasonable authority figure but slides into a full blown psychopath Its a side of the war rarely shown or dealt with. How a nation of normal decent people became the Nazis. Its also a lot more truthful than people would like to believe.

• Love 2

Okay CBC I could have come up with a much better episode description then that half asleep and drunk. You need to up your game. the government is not going to bail you out forever.

Now on to the episode itself. Harry asserting himself was adorable but it felt for where the characters are now. I just hope it sticks.

I didn't like the implication that Renee was somehow weak for breaking in prison He was held for weeks Alfred was held for hours there really is no comparing the experiences.

Also was their any indication of Tom's great love at all last season? I mean they've been dropping hints on her side for the past couple episodes but I don't remember anything from before that. Its possible I missed it but the whole thing feels a little sudden.

• Love 1

I don't think they implied that Rene was weak. I think it was quite the contrary. The closest to this assumption was Sinclair wanting to make sure he didn't break, which is his job and consistent with the character.

That's another reason why I love this show. The war was ugly, the lines blurry. How devastating to think that what Aurora did was 100% something the writers know actually happened. They already stated that the stories are based on real events.

There are so many stories happening at the same time, I'm always looking forward to the next episode. Very interested in Faber and his wife, and the story behind the necklace (and Ulli's picture!)

• Love 2

Felt so bad for Aurora. She didn't have anytime to take in that Renee was back before he's gone for good this time. That was really sad.

I'm assuming the guy at the end was the new plan Faber told his superior about?

• Love 1

I think this episode was missing team interaction, and suffered a bit as a result, but I'm hoping that it was just a one-off.

Though, it looks as though Tom is leaving for good?

It felt like kind of a filler episode, but hopefully the payoff will be worth it.

secnarf, no Tom isn't leaving for good - he's still working with the Allied resistance forces. Krystina squeezed it out of him at the end of their conversation that he was going back in the field.

I loved this episode, I was emotionally invested. I am interested to see what Alfred means about getting closer to Faber. I loved that he called Aurora on her feelings, and I love how she told him to follow orders. She just doesn't know his orders aren't from her.

For those watching the online version on CBC.ca, the final 30 seconds or so are cut from the broadcast, so the final scene in the church is cut off. I don't know how/why that happened but Temple Street (the production company) did send out a tweet with a small video capturing the importance of that scene. It was a fantastic cliffhanger setting up the next episode and it's a shame people are missing it.

Edited to change the name of the production company - Trigger Street is Kevin Spacey's thing, I think. Oops.

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 1

Yes, I watch it online and was confused about what happened. The scene just froze. 

The team is going after Mrs. Faber, I am pretty sure of it. And I like that Miri is now part of the team, or will be for a while. 

I liked the episode. it was different but it was also a set up for a lot to happen. Can't wait to see what they do with Sinclair's son. I think we will see William pop up at some point.

In a 100% speculative thought, I think the writers will have Sinclair killed before or at the end of the season. 

I don't think they would kill off Sinclair, maybe reassign him to another command to keep the door open fr a return. Hugh Dillon is the popular actor who brings in viewers. He's the only reason I initially tuned in. They are setting up more story to take place a Camp X with young Frommer and Faber's operative so Sinclair should have more to do this season. Hopefully he'll go on another field mission with the team. Sinclair didn't do much last season besides stand around looking good in a uniform.

Frau Faber is most definitely going to play a huge role coming up. Her anguish over losing their child and having to deal with it secretly will lead her down an interesting path once the team becomes involved.

I like Alfred taking a leadership role!

I can't see Sinclair getting killed off but I'm rarely right so........

The thing is, Mar and Stephanie are not afraid of going where we think they would not go. I don't want them to kill him off, but I wouldn't bet they won't.

Hugh Dillon is the big name in the show but the viewers seem to be much more interested in the young spies personal stories and the bigger picture in a general sense. I don't have statistics, I just see what's on twitter, and the majority viewers there would be shocked, but not devastated, with a show without Sinclair. 

This is, again, pure speculation

As for the spoiler mledawn 

Hugh Dillon tweeted a few weeks back that he was auditioning. The show has not been renewed yet. I think that he would not audition unless he knew for sure that he will not be needed in Hungary for an extended time. But I might be wrong, maybe he does that all the time and then just decides one way or another

I have a feeling Miri is short for Miriam and she actually one of the Jewish refugees the nuns were protecting than an actual nun. I liked her chemistry with Neal though. 

Alfred's antics really stretched my suspension of disbelief. The idea that the Nazis didn't notice they brought back a completely different person seems kinda ridiculous.

I hope if Tom is coming back to France he's back with the team. I'm not sure If I want to see a fourth location in this show. Although with all the mentions of London it might be interesting to see it at some point.

secnarf, no Tom isn't leaving for good - he's still working with the Allied resistance forces. Krystina squeezed it out of him at the end of their conversation that he was going back in the field.

Thank you! I totally missed that line when I watched it the first time.

I have a feeling Miri is short for Miriam and she actually one of the Jewish refugees the nuns were protecting than an actual nun. I liked her chemistry with Neal though. 

Alfred's antics really stretched my suspension of disbelief. The idea that the Nazis didn't notice they brought back a completely different person seems kinda ridiculous.

I hope if Tom is coming back to France he's back with the team. I'm not sure If I want to see a fourth location in this show. Although with all the mentions of London it might be interesting to see it at some point.

I think the promo for next week showed Tom with the team.

The X Company twitter page had #Miri #Roma in one of their tweets, so it would seem she is Roma, not Jewish. Though she did state in the episode that she's not a real nun and they are only disguising her as one to protect her, they didn't specify what exactly it was that made her a target of the Nazis.

• Love 1

Weren't Roma also sent to the camps? I don't think they were safe as a people, either.

Yes, they were a targeted group as well. I assume that is why Miri is being hidden at the Abbey.

I like that this show acknowledges that the Holocaust didn't only involve Jewish people being systematically killed.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 3

I'm very interested in seeing the dynamic between Aurora and Frau Faber. The team is so talented at role playing.

I wonder if Ulli will come into their conversations somehow. I feel badly that this poor woman doesn't even know where Franz took his body.

• Love 1

I wonder if Ulli will come into their conversations somehow. I feel badly that this poor woman doesn't even know where Franz took his body.

I like Sabine, and I felt so bad when she was watching the children. 

I had a feeling that the doctor was a bad dude from the beginning but wasn't expecting him to be a murderer. Poor Harry. 

The episodes are up on the CBC site before TV

Edited by dkb
  • Love 1

I like Sabine, and I felt so bad when she was watching the children.

I wanted to reach up and hug her in that opening shot.

Neal and Miri are moving fast its in character but its also making me think its even more likely to end tragically.

Something about the doctors story rang true. I have a feeling some of this is based in fact. The part about the laundry room in France with a stairway to Switzerland I think I've heard a somewhere else. I also think there was a doctor actually smuggling people out although i don't think it was actually in France for some reason. Sadly the story of a man promising freedom for dollars and killing the people he was supposed to save is also true Although I've never heard a story of someone doing it as many times as this particular doctor did. Of course anything is possible its not any of this doctors victims could be tracked.

Harry is getting dark I hope it doesn't get too extreme.  Harry needs to remember he's not the only one who has lost someone. Almost all of them have at this point. 

• Love 2

The showrunners commented last night that the duplex-style house straddling the border was true. The doctor story is also true.

Denis McGrath ‏@DMcWriterboy

This was one way Jews got out of France. And the town on the Swiss border where houses bisect the border was real

Denis McGrath ‏@DMcWriterboy
This is based on truth. A Doctor who claimed to rescue Jews, but really sold them out to the Germans. That happened.

Harry's trip to the basement and the reveal of what the doctor had been doing was well done. The actor said that stabbing scene took it out of him

Connor Price ‏@ConnorPrice_ 

Fun fact: While filming this scene the knife snapped in my hand, slicing my palm. Three stitches

They were in Paris this week - perhaps they'll show a bit of Ontario next week?

I do find it distracting to follow along Twitter while the show is happening, but the showrunners and actors provide so much BTS info that I can't NOT do it.

Edited to add: I don't know if it's because the nature of the show or what but Neil/Miri was...worth it. :)

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 3

The showrunners commented last night that the duplex-style house straddling the border was true. The doctor story is also true.

Yeah I think Carol Matas included that detail in 'Greater than Angels' I think that's where I've heard it any way. Also the resistance in Denmark used ambulances to get some of the Jews out of the city and to the coast.

Something the review pointed that strikes me odd know is they're awful coy with the sex on this show. Its not the censors its on at 9pm and CBC is the governing body for stuff like this so they could get away with a lot more  Plus the violence is going to push the rating up anyway. I'm not complaining I don't really care for nudity I just think its an interesting choice on the part of TPTB.

Something I wondered if part of the reason the officers were complaining was they didn't like taking orders from Neil. The officers all seem to have very posh accents and Neil is very much working class  It might chafe for some of the officers to be taking orders from someone who in England's class system would be beneath them.

• Love 1

I hope seeing the consequences of making the decision they did stops Harry from defying Aurora again. 

That church scene was horrible.

The Sabine and Aurora thing is not going to end well.

I have finally composed myself - I literally burst into sobs when Faber started shooting those men. That was awful. I mean, I know that happened in real life, and these are stories that need to be told...it was just really awful.

I wanted to smack Harry, and full props to Neil for not striding over to him and punching him in the face. What a little shit.

I did laugh at Harry in the tux going to the opera - he looks about 12 years old, who would buy him as an adult drinking brandy at the opera? Apparently some dumbass Nazis, I guess!

• Love 2
(edited)

Another excellent, intense episode!

Faber will probably end up in trouble for not taking out the whole village as he was ordered to do.

No wonder so many vets ( both sides ) from that war ended up with some form of PTSD.  

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 1

Harry was as awful as I thought he would be. I kept expecting Neil to pummel him (I suppose it shows growth on Neils part that he didn't). After the stunt Harry pulled with the nails I wouldn't have blamed Neil one bit either. Harry really needs to be careful if he keeps stabbing his friends in the back there's going to be nobody to watch his. Trust is essential in this situation.

One of the best aspects of the show is the team dynamic its interesting to see that tested. Other than some personality conflicts they've always been an effective team. I just hope its temporary and the massacre is the kick in ass Harry needed.

Also the actor who plays Faber deserves all the awards. That scene was chilling and heartbreaking. its so much more interesting to see the Nazi's as people instead of the sociopaths that are usually shown. Even the younger officer was flinching as he fired. Which is probably truer than we would like to think.

I got a laugh at Tom's "buttons" aside to Neil. I wonder if Aurora actually isn't aware of what's going on with Neil and Miri or is just ignoring it. Her reaction could be interesting. I can see it cutting  both  ways on her part. One side being that she was involved with Renee and has no room to lecture but considering how that ended and what happened with Siobhan I can see her being concerned  or even pissed off.  Especially considering Neil is emotional at the best of times, him getting involved with Miri could easily lead to him being compromised. Hell I wouldn't blame Aurora for blowing her stack at Neil for this just because the rest of the team has been giving her an ulcer (Tom getting shot, Alfred getting captured and running into prison camps, Harry being an ass) and she needs him to be the reliable one.

• Love 1