Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Yeah, this does look a lot better (and isn't deliberately trying to draw attention in the midst of the San Diego madness by going TV-MA).  I'm glad they ran the first one, though, because if I had seen this I'd be all over showing the show to my nephew and been surprised with the "F Batman" line.  At least this way we're aware of (some of) the content.

46 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Is that Minka Kelly at far left in the orange?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Why must majority of them look so tragic though!

Aww, I like 4 out of 6 of the outfits! :)

• Love 2

'Titans Renewed for Season 2'

'How Titans plans to separate itself from Marvel and other DC shows, and more from world premiere'

Executive producer Akiva Goldsman echoed Johns' sentiment, explaining how they wanted Titans to keep one foot planted in reality. "We wanted a particular tone that would commensurate with the real world. Our show doesn't take place in an imagined city. It takes place in Detroit. This is our Earth. Slightly alternate, but our Earth — with reality-based life and death."

While Titans is aiming for a particular mix of world-weary grittiness and superpowered antics, its themes of loss, confusion, and trying to understand who you are allows the show to be a little more character-driven.

"It felt, to me, [like] a real honest, emotional story," said showrunner Greg Walker. "It had these multiple genres. Part Jason Bourne thriller, part Carrie-like dark horror movie, and it's got this noir involving Dick Grayson in a self-imposed exile from Bruce Wayne. How those stories come together is really exciting." 

Deadline: ‘Titans’ Creators And Cast On The Long And Winding Road To The Screen

“You couldn’t do Titans without Robin,” Johns said during a panel after the first two episodes screened to strong response at Hammerstein Ballroom. “So there was a lot of behind-the-scenes work that went into that.” Previous outings, including a feature incarnation, were hamstrung by the rights to Batman being locked up — in this telling, the characters mix and mingle freely, as they have begun to do in the DC universe.

Variety: ‘Titans’ Team Talks Taking Criticism with ‘A Grain of Salt’

For Diop, the getting to play “someone that represents so much hope and so much encouragement to so many people” has been a highlight of the experience and her career. She took time to put all naysayers to rest about the series, especially over her casting.

“Starfire is so much about justice and inclusion. So, the fact that someone would respond that way to a character who they claim they love was a bit ironic — and also a bit sad,” she said. “But that was met with so much love. The response to that was so supportive. Sometimes it takes the hate to come out to make the love shine brighter.”

EW: https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/03/dc-universe-titans-renewed-season-2/

“The first season does take our Titans on a journey as they unlock the mystery of Rachel,” Johns told EW recently. “Harkening to the original comics, the first storyline was really about Raven and how she brought these characters together, and we have a similar connection. [Raven] is kind of the sun that everyone revolves around.”

It takes a while for the Titans to team up on the show, so both Thwaites and Croft came to cherish the scenes that featured all four Titans. “All the cast is so lovely that I was very excited whenever we all came together because it meant I could talk to my friends,” Croft told EW.

• Love 1

More positive reviews:

HypableAn intense and exciting show that’s definitely not for kids

PolygonNYCC premiere reveals there’s more to DC’s Titans show than ‘Fuck Batman’

Slight battle of the Reviews here as Polygon seems to be a direct counter to TheMarySue:

TheMarySue:  

I’m not quite sure what [Titan's] about, aside from darkness being dark.

Polygon: 

Despite what you may have heard, Titans isn’t dark just for darkness’ sake. And precisely what it decides to say with its darkness will be the reason to watch it week after week.

@MarkHB Unless I missed something (which is possible because my filters are pretty low), the audio seems PG. And I like this trailer. Everyone looks cool.

Maybe I'm just that contrary fan but the more extreme the reviews are (people seem to either love it or hate it), the more I think I would like this show. :)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Trini said:

'Titans Renewed for Season 2'

"We wanted a particular tone that would commensurate with the real world. Our show doesn't take place in an imagined city. It takes place in Detroit. This is our Earth. Slightly alternate, but our Earth — with reality-based life and death."

I have to side eye this comment. Like....do you not know where and how your characters came to be? Imagined Cities wouldn't lesson the reality one bit. Gotham City not gonna be good enough to step foot in?

Kind of neutral, spoiler-free review from Den of Geek: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/titans/276753/titans-review-dc-universe-tv-show-aims-for-the-fans

But one should never judge a TV show by its trailer, and Titans is a perfect example of why. While certainly a darker, violent take on the formation of the classic DC team, Titans is far more balanced than that teaser made it appear, with an excellent, charismatic set of leads who embody the characters well, some of the best live action superhero costumes in the business, and yes, even the occasional flash of humor...

• Love 1

Titans follows young heroes from across the DC Universe as they come of age and find belonging in a gritty take on the classic Teen Titans franchise. Dick Grayson and Rachel Roth, a special young girl possessed by a strange darkness, get embroiled in a conspiracy that could bring Hell on Earth. Joining them along the way are the hot-headed Starfire and loveable Beast Boy. Together they become a surrogate family and team of heroes.

Episode 1: Titans

In the series premiere, Rachel Roth, a teen haunted by dark visions and powers, falls under the wing of Detective Dick Grayson. We also meet Kory Anders and Beast Boy Gar Logan.

It's up now :) .  Enjoy!

It's actually pretty good, but I don't get Starfire's story at ALL. The other two's stories are pretty clear because they echo the comics somewhat, but Starfire's story seems completely new. Yes, she's been cleverly tied to Raven's storyline, but that's actually pretty different from the comics, where she's no part of Raven's origin (neither is Robin, but he's easier to shoehorn into that).  Why would an alien princess even have any awareness of Trigon? Unless the character is no longer an alien princess in this version and is supernatural or something.

So are they all going to be casual murderers, or will Beast Boy be different?  We didn't get enough of him to really tell. Even Robin seems okay with crippling people for life, even if he doesn't kill.  I guess Starfire killing easily actually isn't all that inconsistent though. It makes sense from the comics.

I'm just waiting for the thing with her kissing everyone. I'm damn sure that's coming.

I will admit, "Fuck Batman" bothered me a lot less than I thought it would. They didn't overplay it. It having already become a meme making this show seem lame means they probably should have cut it out of the final product though.

• Love 1

The reason "Fuck Batman" and his accompanying 'tude  kind of worked for me is that again, if this is about echoing the comics, this echoes the early Nightwing stuff pretty well, albeit in a more over the top manner.  That has to be rejiggered for Titans in a totally new way, since he's not a kid, but it's kind of making sense, at least so far.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed it.. I mean in a real(er)  world setting a powerful alien princess who can shoot huge fire out of her hands would indeed burn ppl to a crisp.. And batman and robin etc.. When they fight as they don't usually shoot or kill can be pretty brutal... Still wish this wasn't a week to week I was ready to spend my free day.. Or at least a double episode premiere so we could really get a feel for everyone.. That said.. I'll be back next week 

• Love 1

I was surprised/disappointed when the credits rolled so it definitely engaged me from start to finish. Starfire looked better than the pictures (and the Internet) would have one believe and I found her story very engaging, since we were, essentially, discovering it along with her. Her line of "I definitely think that would be a hard no" is meme-worthy. I definitely see what all the reviews were on about when they said there's violence, but it's more than pointless violence. Looking forward to the next episode. I think DCU should have released a 2-parter.

• Love 3

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to next week.  I do really like the actress playing Raven, and I'll admit to getting a chuckle out of the soundtrack choice for Cori's intro (as well as wondering wtf her story is).  Nice to get the DC Films intro and the 4-hero DC/WB logo at the end (albeit covered by the damn "PLAY THE NEXT SHOW THAT ISN'T EVEN HERE!" box).

• Love 1

I liked it. It was quite dark but I have hope they can find the right balance between the more serious and humoristic moments. There wasn't a character that grated and all the actors gave pretty solid performances.

I can't wait for Starfire and Beast Boy ( that tiger was pretty cute, lol ) to meet the others. I especially want the connection between Starfire and Rachel to be explored. It's interesting that the character itself is discovering things about her forgotten past alongside the audience.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ursula said:

I definitely see what all the reviews were on about when they said there's violence, but it's more than pointless violence.

Exactly. I usually hate gratuitous anything (violence, sex) but here it was obviously a way to show us their powers and abilities without exposition. In fact the whole episode had really very little dialogue, no exposition at all (a usual problem with pilots) and still managed to be very clear.

In case anyone was wondering, it hasn't shown up on Netflix in Canada yet, but if you search "Titans" on the app, they have the international trailer, along with a checkbox so you can add it to your list. My guess is that they'll be uploading the entire season in one shot after it airs on the DCU app.

• Love 1

This shit was fucking garbage. Bland story, bland acting, bland characters.

It's like a mismatch of cw shows with marvel Netflix shows but in the most unappealing ways.  I can't relate to any enjoyment gained from this. Nightwing's fight scene was pretty good I will admit.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

In case anyone was wondering, it hasn't shown up on Netflix in Canada yet, but if you search "Titans" on the app, they have the international trailer, along with a checkbox so you can add it to your list. My guess is that they'll be uploading the entire season in one shot after it airs on the DCU app.

Thanks!
I saw the preview on Netflix and the checkbox.  Now I'm just waiting for it to be released up here.  I never understood why shows are delayed in other countries especially how spoilers are easy to find.  

Episode 2: Hawk and Dove (10.19.2018):

Hank Hall aka Hawk and Dawn Granger aka Dove are a pair of vigilantes, hoping to get out of the Super Hero business after shutting down one final criminal operation. When Dick arrives with Rachel, looking for a safe haven for the hunted child, his reappearance after many years causes strife between all three of them. Still traumatized over the death of her mother, Rachel struggles to trust Dick. But all their differences must be put aside when a lethal Nuclear Family, sent by The Organization, is activated with the sole purpose of capturing Rachel.

Damn if this show doesn't continue to do (and do well) DC storytelling I didn't think would translate over.  The first episode was already good. The second was even better.  To get Hawk & Dove to work live action?  And to have Dick Grayson be so badass he intimates THEM?  Damn.

• Love 2

Dramatically they will have a problem though if they don't get our main characters together soon though. I give them four episodes in total before it will seem annoying if they haven't at least all met.

• Love 2

This episode was certainly better then the first episode. I am surprised I liked Hawk & Dove as much as I did even though they did a bad job of introducing them (who are these people, what are their code names, do they have powers) thank god I know about the characters from the comics.

Hawk and Dove seem to be ****ty at Superheroing though lol, Hawk gets his ass kicked 3 times within the episode! But Alan Ritchson is so hot as Hawk, way hotter then he ever was as Aquaman (though he looks way older then 33). But them sucking was kind of a relief as most heroes (Arrowverse) get away unscathed when they are up against a group of bad guys and its like 1 vs. 10.

They seem to have stripped Hawk & Dove of being avatars of Lord & Chaos and thus they are just regular joe schmoes which is disappointing as they could've used their semi-supernatural connection to tie in with Rachel.

It did make me laugh that all 4 characters are named after birds. Should've been titled "Birds of a feather"

• Love 1

I liked that they used Dove to highlight that Dick has changed, he has become far more brutal.  The tagline of the show is, "Alone they're damaged, together they're Titans," and in the end I think Raven and Dick will wind up helping each other.

Hopefully Amy Rohrbach survives, although the Nuclear Family seems to delight in unnecessary murder and pain, so I'm not sure how hopeful I am.  She did have a great apartment, though.

That CGI raven was atrocious at the end.

19 hours ago, Kromm said:

Dramatically they will have a problem though if they don't get our main characters together soon though. I give them four episodes in total before it will seem annoying if they haven't at least all met.

Spoiler from an upcoming episode description:

Spoiler

They finally meet up next week.

• Love 1

A bit wonky but I will tune back in, so... they did things right?
I expect it will become better and it will feel more organic in time.
Though my initial reaction to Dove was "Elsa?". :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2