Type keyword(s) to search

The Ruins (2009)

• Start Topic

Was The Ruins the season where Katie was walking around the bedroom, drunkenly ranting while swinging a toilet plunger around, and then kicked Sarah out of the room for laughing at her? And then everyone sat there silently and only defended Sarah after Katie had left?

That episode was notable to me only because I remember I sided with Katie at the time because I couldn't stand Sarah, and now I can't remember why I hated Sarah. It was not because she had a crush on Kenny. I mean, that was annoying, but that's not why I didn't like her. Yet, looking back, Katie was totally out of line to treat Sarah like that, whose only crime was to smile at a drunk swinging a toilet plunger around, and I didn't even like Katie. Sarah must have done something really annoying and I'm totally blanking on what, and I've liked her ever since the second Battle of the Seasons, when she volunteered to go into an elimination game with Chet just to prove to her team it was nothing to be scared of, and going in didn't mean going home. I thought that was cool.

Yes. To Katie's credit though in interviews she said she was 100 percent wrong to go after Sarah, she said she was annoyed because Sarah was always in the Champions room laughing at JEK jokes all the time. Katie hosted an online show on RTV zone  during Rivals and said her and Sarah were supposed to be partners, but Katie said no. I always assumed Katie must have told Trishelle something that's why Trishelle didn't like Sarah during BOTS2.

To add on to the above post, Katie was pissed and swinging the plunger around because JEK put it on her bed....twice!!  It was absolutely disgusting and they all just sat there and laughed, including Sarah, who at the time was trying so damn hard to fit in.  And she didn't care about the stupid stuff they did to other people, until Kenny started treating her like shit too.  Sarah just rubbed me the wrong way sometimes during this entire challenge. 

• Love 1

Katie was pissed and swinging the plunger around because JEK put it on her bed....twice!!

Yeah, that is disgusting. I think after The Ruins, like 3-4 regular female cast members said they would never come back. I may have to pony up the cash to buy The Ruins (can't get it on Youtube) and re-watch but if I recall, there were no winners from that season (as far as likeability, not actual winners of the game).

Was that also The Ruins (or maybe it was The Island) where they pranked Derrick who just wanted to lay around in his bunk looking at pictures of his wife and kid, and Derrick got mad and yelled at them and said to pick on someone else? That really made me dislike Derrick (who had previously been a favorite of mine) because he was the only member of the "in crowd" to realize how obnoxious they were, and instead of standing up for the other victims, he was basically saying, do whatever as long as it doesn't affect me.

ETA:

and they all just sat there and laughed, including Sarah, who at the time was trying so damn hard to fit in.  And she didn't care about the stupid stuff they did to other people, until Kenny started treating her like shit too.

Thanks for the reminder. That may have been why I didn't like Sarah at the time, and why I didn't feel sorry for her when Katie threw her out. Actually, it was pretty smart of Katie. She couldn't retaliate against JEK, (anything she did would have led to a complete escalation and she was outnumbered) but she was probably smart enough to know that JEK wouldn't bother to stand up for Sarah if she picked on her- which they didn't- so Katie gets the satisfaction of revenge against at least one person who just sat and laughed while proving to Sarah that JEK didn't give a shit about her. Seriously, how hard would it have been for anyone else in that room to be like, hey Katie, Sarah didn't do anything, leave her alone? Not very hard, but I guess it was more effort than Kenny felt like expending.

Edited by Tatum

Yup.  That was this season.  There were no likeable people at all on this season.  I mean, I always like Wes, and even he was working my nerves, albeit in response to the complete utter doucheyness of the rest of his team.

(edited)

Yup.  That was this season.  There were no likeable people at all on this season.  I mean, I always like Wes, and even he was working my nerves, albeit in response to the complete utter doucheyness of the rest of his team

Edited by luckyroll3

Yeah, I understood why Katie yelled at Sarah. That was the season where Sarah followed around JEK crew because she wanted to be part of the crew so much. I can't really fault being mad that three guys pulled a prank and everyone laughed. JEK sucked.  This whole season was terrible. The only thing I find sort of enjoyable is when Veronica was supposed to go in and then because the vote was deadlocked or whatever, they had to bring in other team members to vote someone in and the vote totally changed Ibisis. That was kind of funny.

It was only because Ibis should have gone in during the Gauntlet 2 and was saved because Kina was the captain and they were BFFs from their season. I did feel a little bad that Derrick stabbed her in the back because I remember they were tight from the Gauntlet 2 and Xtreme season.

I still think it's most likely that she was in the room most of the night, and is just extending the benefit of the doubt to her friends versus Tonya, given her feelings towards her. 

I agree with this.  She also continued to be paid by Viacom for appearances after the lawsuit, which could subconsciously influence someone's opinion.  No one wants the people that have employed them for years to be responsible for allowing someone to be sexually assaulted.  I don't see a reason for Susie and Johnny to be seen as more reliable sources of information than Katelynn or presumably Katie.  She couldn't have been in the room and awake the entire night.

• Love 1