Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Week 5

• Start Topic

From strictly a logic standpoint, if they featured a gay bachelor as lead, why would his presumably gay contestants wait around for dates & attention from him when they could just hook up with each other?   The same goes for a lesbian or Bi lead.

You took the words right out of my mouth. You LITERALLY reached into my larynx with both hands and stole those words!

JellyFishQueen, Juan Pablo was asked about that and did not answer as clearly and logically as leighdear did.

• Love 2

Well, if hooking up with a fellow contestant means not getting a rose, that's a pretty big incentive not to hook up, from a fame-whore perspective.  Plus, not getting a rose means you might miss out on going to exotic countries like New Mexico, Sante Fe (how's it spelled anyway?), so I imagine a lot of fame-whores would keep a lid on it.

Plus, not all gay people randomly hook up with each other anyway, and even if a few contestants did hook up, I'm sure that would be awesome reality TV drama.  That kind of crazy drama is one of the only reasons I watch BOPO/Bpad.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 1

I just don't see Carly having the personality to carry the show.

And since when has that stopped TPTB from casting its lead? *coughseanjakebencougheveryotherbandbettecough*

The bottom line is, the next b-ette has to be AMERICA'S SWEETHEART! You know, like Des, Emily, Ashley and every other lead ever chosen for this show.

Apologies to Bugs. I read his Carly-as-next-b-ette post in several different ways except in the way Bugs intended. Duh! ("Candyman, Candyman, Candyman")

• Love 1

Well, if hooking up with a fellow contestant means not getting a rose, that's a pretty big incentive not to hook up, from a fame-whore perspective.  Plus, not getting a rose means you might miss out on going to exotic countries like New Mexico, Sante Fe (how's it spelled anyway?), so I imagine a lot of fame-whores would keep a lid on it.

Plus, not all gay people randomly hook up with each other anyway, and even if a few contestants did hook up, I'm sure that would be awesome reality TV drama.  That kind of crazy drama is one of the only reasons I watch BOPO/Bpad.

The Bachelor  show is based on the (ridiculous)  premise that all the contestants are competing for the attentions of one person.  An LGBT version would have a tough time with that storyline.  

Somehow, this show manages to convince a bunch of women that the one bachelor is some version of Prince Charming, and he is choosing his Cinderella to go live in his castle  (or on his farm)  to live happily ever after.   While the women are locked up together,  they see no other options, and are swept up in the group delusion that the current Bachelor is the best guy in the world.  On a gay version, the group delusion wouldn't apply.

• Love 3

The group delusion doesn't apply universally on the current show, though.  There's always someone who's there to plug their album or get drunk or has a boyfriend/girlfriend back home or is there to help windows find their paradoxical value or something, and then they get found out and drama ensues and they go home.   I don't see why it should be any different for an LGBT version.  Some people will be there to find twu wuv, and some people will be their for other reasons or make other things a priority, just as it happens every season.

Chris Harrison (One of the producers) made it crystal clear a year ago that ABC will not change the format for this show, as it works brilliantly for them.  ABC is a business.  They will not deviate from their established show until it proves to NOT make them money.  A direct quote from him: "Is our job to break barriers, or is it a business?”

• Love 2

Except they've already changed the format once, when they introduced the Bachelorette.  I think at this point, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I don't see any reason an LGBT Bachelor/Bachelorette couldn't work.  Maybe it's not necessarily something to do in the main season, but as a summer show or perhaps spun off onto Logo or We.  But I don't find these arguments against it convincing.

"Diversity" to these producers is naming Juan Pablo The Bachelor. I think a non-hetero version would be very interesting to watch partly because contestants could possibly fall  harder for each other than The Bachelor, especially if The Bachelor is dud. Fleiss and Co., however, probably don't see it that way. They like to end every season with a proposal, so if it happens on the gay version, you're dealing with a gay marriage, which is legal in most states now but still controversial and again, these producers would be leery. TPTB shown no hint in 13 years of doing anything really brave or socially aware.

New Mexico being a beach in another country, Kelsey and her amazing story: where do they find these women?

Sante Fe. Oops! But Santa Fe's tourism officials say the 50K investment with The Bachelor was money well spent, generating $2 million worth of publicity.

• Love 1

Chris Harrison (One of the producers) made it crystal clear a year ago that ABC will not change the format for this show, as it works brilliantly for them.  ABC is a business.  They will not deviate from their established show until it proves to NOT make them money.  A direct quote from him: "Is our job to break barriers, or is it a business?”

He's right, and they have nothing to apologize for. If one day they decide a gay version is a good business decision, then they might do it. In the meantime, the show has no obligation to stray from what's working for them.

• Love 3

I never want the show to stray. I want to guard and protect, have the fairy tale, and be here fir all the right reasons. Then at 10 pm I want to bitch about how much it sucks. This crap is genius.

• Love 7

They'll have an ethnic bachelor LONG before they would consider doing an LGBT show and I think we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.  And I'm sorry but JP didn't count for me.  He was just a white boy with an accent. We really NEED an African American, Native American, Hispanic or Asian bachelor.  There are certainly plenty of handsome, charming, well to do men out there who aren't white. The racism on this show is just so blatantly obvious I'm surprised there hasn't been a riot of outrage over it.  

On a side note:  Disney is actually a very gay friendly company to work for.  They even offer same sex partner benefits.  I don't think it's as much about their wholesome image as it is the perception that the concept wouldn't fly with a pretty fair portion of their audience.  We've made some progress in tolerance over the past few decades but I think they are too worried about the controversy and possible ratings fallout from taking that big a leap right now.  I could however, see a knock off version doing quite well on an alternative cable network like someone else mentioned.  I mean, Ru Paul's Drag Race is hugely popular so why not?  The only issue I could see there is that while most people now at least claim to be tolerant of LGBT persons publicly, the sexual connotations of the show would make quite a few people uncomfortable.  Hell, I'm uncomfortable watching the straight couples sometimes!  There is also the very real danger of perpetuating the myth that LGBT people are promiscuous.  A gay dude snogging on 15 different guys in one episode would certainly do nothing to dispel that myth.