Type keyword(s) to search

Conan - General Discussion

opus
  • Start Topic

I just saw the interview from the other day with Flula Borg.   This guy is both hilarious and brilliant.  I'm not sure why he doesn't have his own TV show.   

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Conan and crew are in Isreal and they are posting a bunch of InstaStories.

The comment section on the YouTube video for the Israel promo was really scary. Tons of "Zionists are the Devil and Conan is now going to Hell" type comments. 

7 hours ago, Kromm said:

The comment section on the YouTube video for the Israel promo was really scary. Tons of "Zionists are the Devil and Conan is now going to Hell" type comments. 

This is why I never read comments.

I'm guessing it's at least somewhat deliberate, but Conan has a knack for choosing locations where a tall, pale, lanky redhead looks very out of place.  It makes his travel shows so much funnier.  

I got a huge kick out of the laid back man who called Conan beautiful.  <3

As always with his travel eps I think Conan did a wonderful job with the Haiti special especially on such a tight timeline. I also really liked how he understood why people would be angry with another American film crew and let them vent and then spoke to them in Creole french to show he was sincere.

The little girl who was fascinated with his freckles and also talking about US Haitian relations was amazing.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Hello, I'm new on the boards. 

I'm looking for all the episodes of Teri Hatcher on Conan O'Brien.
I've already looked on YouTube. I only found one...
Does anybody here can help me, please?

If you can, email me at samforce85@gmail.com

Thanks, regards.

Edited by terihfan
(edited)

From Vulture.com:

In Conversation: Conan O’Brien

Excerpt:

But you had a very specific relationship to late-night hosts. I meet people in their 40s who say, “You got me through high school.” I hug those people — sometimes a little too long. But I hug those people because I remembered making the show in the ’90s and feeling that I was writing messages in a bottle from my little raft on late night and throwing them into the ocean to see if they’d reach anyone. That kind of connection is not really there anymore.

Count me as one of those fans watching when I was in high school. I still get nostalgic watching clips on YouTube from the 90s.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I knew of course that Conan was switching to the 1/2 hour format in January, I had no idea that this was their last hour show seems really early even though I guess there will need to be a transition and holidays are way too fast approaching.

I was so bummed by Conan's heartfelt announcement that the band would not be on in the 30-minute format. The band is so amazing and I wish them all the best. It's always enjoyable when they're included in skits, too. I remember when Conan celebrated the 10-year anniversary of Dirty Dancing by demanding that it return to theaters or he would fire LaBamba. 

• Love 1

Watching the edited version, I was surprised to feel a little sympathy for Jordan at Conan's glee. I saw video of the full meal back in September and I totally wanted to strangle Jordan. With all his talk about being quiet and enjoying the moment, Jordan pontificated so much...gesturing with chopsticks in hand, no less. I feel like I'm starting to appreciate why Conan is equally fascinated and irritated by his associate producer.

My favorite segment was probably the rental family one. The manager made me laugh - though I'm not sure why he said the prospective 'wife' was 48 when the profile note clearly said 51. She posted some behind-the-scenes photos on Instagram.

It's too bad the live karaoke segment didn't make it to air. I thought that looked like a fun thing to try. Apparently there's also a film with video game producer Hideo Kojima that's being kept under wraps before the project is released.

9 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Today on the radio, the morning program hit me with the clip, "Walker told me I have AIDS". I was instantly reminded of the Walker Texas Ranger Lever. God I loved that bit.

Conan's reaction to the audience's reaction was great. 

Walker, Texas Ranger was such a ridiculous show. The lever highlighted it. 

I often wonder how other talk shows would fare with the half hour format. It feels like the hour long talk shows are just bits and pieces for YouTube clips 4 hours before the show airs. 

• Love 2

Conan's put up a podcast episode to entertain fans during the coronavirus shutdowns.  I haven't been able to listen to much yet, just throwing out the news.

I did like his podcasts with Stephen Colbert and Bob Newhart, going back a ways I know.  I should catch up on some of the others.   

Edited by roseha

Conan has started filming shows from Largo a small venue in LA. Bare bones crew who are socially distancing and no audience and guests still Zooming in.

In addition to a change of scenery they are paying the theater rent because it’s struggling financially due to the lockdown.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, BetterButter said:

It's probably about time. His format change of the show gave it a little more life, but the huge successes of both his hugely funny podcast and the Conan Without Borders specials really indicated that his best work product was when he changed things up. I have zero doubt the variety show format can work. Even if some of that winds up still being Talk (who says it won't?) a weekly Talk format works fine for let's say... Graham Norton. Or as annoying as he is, Bill Mahrer. Nightly is kind of a silly least common denominator format IMO, especially in a streaming world. 

• Love 1

Conan’s tribute to Larry King was everything I had hoped (showing the time he didn’t die his hair) and everything in the start to the end with him trying a standup set! Also his interview with Nicole Byer made me (as part of a childless couple) finally watch the delightful Paddington 2! Great times!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I've been listening to "Conan O'Brien Needs a Fan" in which Conan wings it with random fans around the country and it's really a fun listen.  One of the guests, a man with a dairy farming background from Ohio, suggested he have a show called "Conan Within Borders" and visit the country.  Sounds like a fun idea.

• Love 1

Aaaaaaand another era of late night television has come to an end.  I have to say, Conan's show ending during a Pandemic, filmed in a studio they had to borrow, with a final guest (Jack Black) who injured himself during rehearsal so that they had to cut the bit he was rehearsing and just do an interview with Jack wearing an orthopedic boot . . . well that's just pretty much par for the course with Conan, isn't it?  Don't get me wrong -- I've always enjoyed him and his show occasionally rose to the level of comedy gold.  But it also occasionally teetered on the brink of disaster.

Ah well -- farewell Conan.  May the road rise to meet you, the wind be always at your back, the sun shine warm upon your face, the winds blow soft upon your fields and -- until we meet again -- may the god of comedy hold you in the palm of his hand.

• Love 4

I don't think we'll ever see another Conan O'Brien story.  He mentioned it himself - handing a show to a writer most people had never heard of and giving him time to work out the kinks just wouldn't happen today.  Audiences don't have the patience nowadays.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I don't think we'll ever see another Conan O'Brien story.  He mentioned it himself - handing a show to a writer most people had never heard of and giving him time to work out the kinks just wouldn't happen today.  Audiences don't have the patience nowadays.

I also think it would be a hugely criticized move (not that it wasn't back then), but today in terms of getting labeled the ultimate in white male privilege. I mean, honestly, would ANY woman or non-white person ever be given that kind of insane chance that Lorne Michaels got the network to take on Conan? And then given years to make it work, ironing out the kinks, etc? 

I'm not trying to insult them, but I do think it's a rather obvious observation, especially now.

• Love 2
On 6/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, ruby24 said:

I also think it would be a hugely criticized move (not that it wasn't back then), but today in terms of getting labeled the ultimate in white male privilege. I mean, honestly, would ANY woman or non-white person ever be given that kind of insane chance that Lorne Michaels got the network to take on Conan? And then given years to make it work, ironing out the kinks, etc? 

I'm not trying to insult them, but I do think it's a rather obvious observation, especially now.

I haven’t watched the show although I did see her as a guest on The Price is Right, but Lily Singh was someone I never heard of that got Carson Daly’s old late night spot. And she’s been there a while. I guess 1:30 am is a time for experimentation.