Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Fearsome Doctor Crane

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Fish Mooney reveals a secret of Oswald Cobblepot's, prompting Maroni to take him on a trip to test his loyalty. Meanwhile, Gordon and Bullock hunt down a killer who targets victims with severe phobias and Bruce Wayne confronts Gordon for failing to make progress on his parents' murder case.

Promo:

• Love 1

Oh wow, Ozzie, you really are at your best when you’re about to croak.  Winner for best emergency cell phone call intimidation.

Good casting for the villain, but didn’t anticipate that it would be Crane Sr.  The pigs felt like a Hannibal flashback more than a Gotham moment.

Harvey is the opposite of smooth, but he’s as likable as ever when he’s being sincere.  I liked that Scotty pre-emptively told him not to ‘be an ass’ by mocking people with phobias, because she read him right.

I’m glad Ed finally got called on some of his antics.  Jim had a good point about the medical examiner’s credibility, though.  Ed’s revenge was something else.  Was it a riddle in some way too?  Not a bad way to get Dr. Thompkins more involved.

I’m starting to think Kristin is as off as Ed.  Was she in mourning?

• Love 1

Theory: Oswald is more of a cat than Selina. The dude always lands on his feet. Anybody else would be screaming into the cell phone, yet he remained as cool as a cucumber, explaining himself to the dude crushing the car. And he winds up going back to Gotham with a gospel-singing group. Only Penguin, y'know?

Ed is still a freak of nature. That's all I have to say about that. I will say the staredown with Oswald looked pretty darn epic in the teaser.

Speaking of teasing. ..  .why do I have the feeling that she and the pirate know each other, and the "running into each other" setup will wind up being bullcrap?

Fear of pigs is a thing? Even itty-bitty piglets? I guess there are all types . ..   like the one chick from The Challenge who has a fear of ketchup. I'm guessing this is Jonathan Crane's father, and the young guy is the future Scarecrow himself. Apparently, being freaky can be passed down . . . though I could've guessed that from Oswald and his mother.

Way to rebound, Jim. My compliments on the upgrade.

ETA: Did anybody else figure we'd see Professor Pyg based on the pig mask? That had to be a shout out to Grant Morrison.

• Love 4

My guess..Fish and the Pirate are running into each other's arms..they are brother and sister, perhaps? Maybe his name is Fowl.

Jim and the new Doc..1,000x more chemistry than with Borebra. 

Talk about calm under (literal) pressure..Penguin does it again. He's like a Weeble..he wobbles but never falls down. Terrific character.

• Love 1

Waaaait. What was that last scene? Fish and the other guy turn into panthers and fight to death? He is her ex-husband or something like that and that is their way to say 'I missed you'? Are they brothers??

Lee: "I put on lipstick and you want forensic advice". Then she makes Jim kiss her in front of the entire precint. You go, girl. And as Lantern7 said, way to rebound Jim, because these two have a hell of a chemistry.

I'm not really a fan of Selina or Bruce alone, but I actually enjoy a great deal their scenes with the adults. Point in case, Selina and Jim.

Harvey: "I'm a cop, the only thing I fear is decaf coffee". Love you, you big bunch of grumpy bear.

I was trully enjoying Scotty until she became the damsel in distress to Harvey's knight armor. That was some trope wrapped in a couple of cliches, but I will give her a chance.

Oswald and Maroni made this episode for me. These two were awesome and Oswald last scene was amazing.

No Barbara for the second episode in a row. They say third is the charm, so pleaaase, go away, Babs, no one likes you.

I actually know someone whos is afraid of chickens and worked with a girl who was scared of people wearing black clothes, so the pigs phobia seemed quite normal for me. That was Crane Sr... and the kid will grow up to be "our" Crane?

Ed is a creep, but I'm pretty sure we are about to find out that Kristin is far from "normal".

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 2

Hi Julian Sands, haven't seen you since Banshee.

Could Ben Cross be dropping by Gotham in the near future?

Alonzo Duralde over at  What the Flick, who reviews this show weekly, has said repeatedly that this show's casting department deserves a lot of credit for finding the best guest stars on television. I agree. Two weeks ago it was Peter Scalari as the Commissioner. I wouldn't be surprised to find Tom Hanks show up one day, especially if this show gains the kind of cult following that the Adam West show did.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 2

I love Maroni to bits. Hopefully he isn't one of the prequel characters that bite the dust (I don't any comic details, at least regarding his character). His and Penguin's scenes together rocked. The tension just kept on escalating and escalating.

Loving Jim and Leslie together! And no Babs!

Are Jim and Oswald going to break up next week by the looks of the promo? Kidding, I'm kidding.

Bruce and Alfred seemed a little bitter. Poor Jim; he can't do anything right.

I think it was a weaker episode than last week, but it was still pretty good.

I miss Butch.

I really enjoyed this episode more than the previous two that I thought were kind of subpar for this show.  I wish there had been more Selina, Bruce and Alfred.  I'm sure I'm the miniority but I am just completely fascinated in everything to do with Bruce and Selina and I just adore every thing with Alfred.

"Shall I show you the door?"  Such a polite way of saying get the hell out.  And David just impresses me over and over again with every episode he's in.  I loved Selina leaping from the balcony.  I'm a sucker for anyone leaping from balcony's only to be okay.

The one thing that still grates is that the adults seem to get out of their sticky situations a bit too fast for my liking, much like Jim getting straight out of Arkham,Oswald is quickly out of harms way.  Fish is simply able to flee Gotham, I'm betting the pirate is her husband or brother...hopefuly husband, this show already has enough incestous vibes for me liking.

I loved seeing Maria Thayer on my screen and especially love her character.  I've been missing this girl on my screen since she left Cougar Town a few seasons ago.  I wonder if Robin Lorde Taylor got her an audition..they were in Accepted together back in the day.

Ed is just going to be full blown Riddler by the season finale i think.  I can't be surprised sense Penguin and Catwoman are almost fully formed and it seems Bruce will be before too long as well.  I buy his progression to Riddler, I laughed out loud when the  Medical Examiner opened his locker.  I honestly cannot wait until next week,

What exactly happened to the Major Crimes Unit though?  Renee and Crispen just dropped off the radar.

• Love 2

Last thing I saw Julian Sands in was that horrible Crossbones series (the show where John Malkovich of all people was Blackbeard), so that was certainly a step up for him.  Not surprised that he isn't the future Scarecrow, but is his father.  I'm assuming next week will show how the son ends up becoming worse then the father.

Oh, Jim.  I really thought you blew it there for a second, but count your lucky stars that Leslie is a patient woman.  Jim/Leslie is way, way better, that it is not even funny.  Only fear I have is that the writers would be stupid enough to actually try and make it a triangle with Barbara.  Frankly, Barbara never needs to show up again. Curious if they will go forward with Leslie becoming the new medical examiner or not.  That could be fun: not just with Jim, but it will give her time to interact with other characters like Bullock, Essen, and even Nygma.

Bullock trying to get his "game" on with Scottie was somehow pathetic and hilarious at the same time.  I blame Donal Logue for actually making that work. And, it helped that Scottie seemed to see through most of it.  He really is an easy book to read.

Unlike Miss Kringle.  I still can't figure her out.  One moment, she rightfully seems creeped out by Ed; the next, she is smiling over him.  Come on, woman.  He is clearly bad news.  Although, props to going all out to save his job.  I don't even want to know where he found all those parts...

Damn, Oswald!  You just won't die!  Maroni finally figures out the score, has him sentenced to death by car compactor, and the dude still finds a way to escape! Oswald is awesome!

Glad to see Jim interact with both Selina and Bruce again.  I always like it when he plays of the younger characters.  Too bad he's not on good terms.  Selina tells him she was lying and bails, and Bruce clearly is over him.  Poor Jim.  Even Alfred told you the fuck off in the most polite way possible.

I'm sure there will be a twist going on with that final Fish scene.

Have I mentioned that Morena Baccarin is gorgeous and should stay in Gotham, forever?

• Love 2

Did Ed give the medical examiner "a hand" out the door? Sorry, that was lame. I hope it was a riddle, I really like Ed's character. I hope he's not the Riddler by seasons end, I love his quirks. In a total insane way I think Ed gives Gotham PD some flavor.

Count me on Kringle being a bit off. I hope they're building up another villan, and part of me really hopes they're going to gender-bend her with a male villan and switch things up.

Loved Harvey this episode, it gave me flashbacks to Harvey's episode earlier this season. I love that he gave Jim grief about the warehouse being a "thin lead."

• Love 2

Oh, I wanted to add that I love the young actor that they hired to portray Scarecrow, he really looked the part.  Reminded me a lot of a young Cillian Murphy in the same way that Cameron reminds me of a young Michelle Phieffer.

• Love 1

Oswald and Maroni made this episode for me. These two were awesome and Oswald last scene was amazing.

Maroni is less elegant than Falcone, but he's direct and intimidating when he wants to be.  When he took them out to the cabin I expected a wood chipper or a chainsaw to make an appearance, but he was in complete control of the situation without them.  I loved Maroni's utter disbelief that Penguin was calling him from inside the car.  Just perfect.

• Love 3

So what is the Oswald Concussion Count up to?  9 or 10?

Really good episode.  I liked Oswald's scenes with Maroni a lot, particularly that excellent truth scene and I hope Maroni will stay around longer.  The guy is too good.  Speaking of funny, I find Oswald's limp walking increasingly so.

Harvey was fun here trying to be the competent cop and his interaction with the woman.  Jim and Leslie are good  together.

Do I want to know where Nygma got all those body parts from?  I do like that Jim trusts his judgment.  Probably a mistake I think.

I didn't know the title of this episode so I didn't expect Young Scarecrow to show up.  Nice surprise.

That last scene with Fish and the pirate was embarrassing.  Seriously, not a career highlight for Jada Pinkett.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

I have to admit, even though i kind of like Barbara i didn't miss her at all.. Which means if she won't come back I am totally fine with it. Dear Arrow please pay attention this is what you do it with an unlinked character you don't turn her into a superhero you shove her as far away to the side.

The only issue I have is that I have this gut feeling that she will be back heavily pregnant with Barbara junior.

Also as much as I love tween bat and cat i am fine with them on limited screen time, we get enough of their lives in past movies and tv shows, this is the Gordon prequel not the Batman and Catwoman show.

Nygma.. You freak me out and than at the same time make me feel sorry for you, you little psycho- the same goes for Penguin.

This was a decent episode. I liked the girl Harvey was crushing on, can we have her back for more episodes? She saw thorough his BS and cut him no slack. Also

• Love 2

Are we sure Maria Thayer isn't Alicia Witt? *g* They look very similar.  I did love Scottie's intro and her seeing through Harvey's bs. Speaking of Det. Bullock, Jim better remember the look in Harv's eyes. Harvey looked to rip off a limb when he wasn't concerned for Scottie. This will be interesting.

As much as I am enjoying Jim/Leslie, maybe leveling that most of the corrupt cops hate your guts and PDAs just put Leslie in danger? Not saying don't vacuum each other's tonsils, just not in front of everyone who's looking to pay Gordon back? I know, I belong in Arkham for that kind of thinkin'. 

Oswald? I can't help but to care for you, as evil and duplicitous as you can be. Your eyes are still too big for your stomach, so your rise is going to be painful. Painful yet entertaining. We only thought the Zookeeper took you out of the zoo. He took you to a wildlife park to see how you'd act. Now he knows. Good phone usage.  While Sal fast for his size, you're talent is your voice, the way you can persuade folks to your way.

Ed? Naughty, not cool, and gross. Yet you are actually competent at the job you have and wish for, more than the man who you framed. I can't get too worked up over his situation.  I also can't tell if your smile and silence at the end meant you learned from last week. You let Ms. Kringle say her nice comment, smiled and left. That's good, I think. Ms. Kringle, otoh, I am beginning to wonder about.

Fish? Not sure about your jumpsuit, but you are usually so fabulous, I understand not having time to be fab on the run yet. Butch is stashed safely because of Harvey, right? Snuck him out of Zsasz's hidey spot? We need to know, Show.

As for Gordon having the tweens and Alfred not impressed with his work, get over it. They make valid points.  You have active cases that need attention, so work them. When Leslie gives you time to breathe, you can work the Wayne case then, okay? Just keep tabs on 'em, Detective, if you are worried.

Still nibbling on all the good in this episode. The previews look interesting, especially the Nygma/Cobblepot  stare contest, unless it is a "game recognizes game" kind of moment. Plus, Ed would remember the man who exonerated Gordon from murder charges by showing up alive.

Best episode in awhile.  Except the so creepy it was ewwww ending with Fish losing ALL her dignity.  Ugh.

Gordon is less bull in a cop shop this episode. I suspect the Dr. knows exactly what she's doing and who's not on Jim's side.  I think she may even have an angle other than true love.

I think the heart of the show is the kids - they don't have to be onscreen every episode but at some point, Batman will be the most influential figure in Jim Gordon's life, so it is perfect they use them in a limited way. And we see Bruce being the majestic overlord dismissing everyone because his little feelings got hurt. Alfred, imo, is out of line to basically shove Jim out the door when the kid could use a mentor.  Both Jim and Selina.  He's an ass, actually but he is fun to watch. 

Jim thinking he can rifle through the mail and Selina hold still was highly amusing to me.  I lol'd.

Harvey....was he sincere with his "fear?"  He sure played it straight but it was still a total set up line for the redhead so I say the verdict's out on that.  He makes a great rescuer though. He even wants to rescue Jim most of the time.

I like Nygma...bunches.  Sigh. But then I adore Penguin too. The phone thing was EPIC!  if hard to believe.  Basically they've managed to make all their bad guys somewhat likeable and sympathetic. Well except maybe Victor.  But I do enjoy him and his back up dancers too. 

I'll continue to be glad it's a cartoon so I can root for the bad guys in a way while enjoying the battles.  Can't wait to see Falcone and Penguin reunited...and what happens there.

• Love 1

I don't think Alfred acted out of line. Bruce is both his charge, bodyguard and butler. If as a father figure he should have given Jim a chance in every other situation he acted as he should have. And Bruce wasn't wrong, Jim let his parents murder fall by the wayside, understandable but you can't fault the Wayne family to want to keep him out of it now.

• Love 4
Unlike Miss Kringle.  I still can't figure her out.  One moment, she rightfully seems creeped out by Ed; the next, she is smiling over him.  Come on, woman.  He is clearly bad news.  Although, props to going all out to save his job.  I don't even want to know where he found all those parts...

I've seen this sort of character before, a girl that's initially creeped out by a guy but eventually is amused and finds him endearing at the same time. I get that sort of vibe when it comes to Miss Kringle.

Very good episode, but Oswald, you're supposed to be smart so I expect better out of you. If Maroni wanted to kill you he could have done it in Gotham probably with a wave of his hand, he didn't need to bring you to his secluded cabin in the woods to do it and he certainly wouldn't have left you alone with a loaded gun. How could you be so stupid as to not to be able to recognize a test of loyalty when you see one, especially one that was so obvious?

• Love 4

Regarding Alfred, keeping Bruce alone and isolated with no peers or heaven forbid mangey friendships will develop the warped vigilante he becomes. Sending Jim away, imo, only reinforces this behavior and ignores and invalidats the fact that Jim at least wants to close the case. A rarity in Gotham, I'm sure. Plus, one really cannot dismiss an officer from a homicide so it was all character development plot points to me

. Ymmv

• Love 2

Great comments above that give me insight or at least theories for some of the characters' motivations.

So:

Nygma wants to be the new ME while Jim is inviting Dr. Thompkins to go for the position while Dr. Thompkins gets Jim to do a hot makeout session in front of everyone at the station. Somebody explain this riddle to me!

And with a name like Kris Kringle, the apple of Nygma's eye has got to be...what? The leader of a pack of reindeer?

• Love 2

Loved this episode. I didn't know if going down the Crane Sr route would work but it really did in this one and Julian Sands is brilliant and terrifying as Gerald Crane, isn't he?

Glad we got to see Jonathan, even if it was briefly in the episode.

Bullock got a love interest who nearly got killed in this episode. Loved most of his one liners here too.

Jim and Leslie not only have better chemistry than him and Barbara but they seem genuinely relaxed around each other and seem to like each other's company. I hope it doesn't peter out too soon though.

Nygma's method for avoiding suspension was pretty devious but that ME was a right jerk. Not sure where they're going with him and Kringle though.

The Oswald and Maroni scenes were brilliant - greatly played but jeez, Oswald, how many tight spots are you narrowly going to get out of? Getting a lift back to Gotham from a gospel choir was inspired too.

Not a lot of Bruce and Selina scenes but they had some good moments though, 8/10

• Love 1

Whoever did the casting for this show, deserves all the money they got and more.  Cory Michael Smith is owning his role as Nygma, as are obviously Robin Lord Taylor as Penguin, Donal Logue as Harvey, and Ben McKenzie as Jim.  But let's think about this, in all of Batman's history this show might be able to say they've got the definitive versions of Riddler and Penguin when all is said and done.

Nygma carried this episode, and that's not a knock on anything else, but this was Nygma's episode.  And that face to face next week is going to be amazing.

• Love 4
How could you be so stupid as to not to be able to recognize a test of loyalty when you see one, especially one that was so obvious?

This. I was positive for a moment after he drew the gun that he was going to hand it over to Maroni as a way of proving to the latter that he was loyal to him. Because as soon as Penguin got the gun out of the bag, I thought, "so he knows there are no bullets in that gun or they are blanks right? Because what self-respecting gangster would just leave someone alone in a room with his gun in a bag?" That was really, really dumb on Penguin's part.

That said, the thing about shows like these, where you know someone is a main character, is that I never for a second thought he was in any real danger of being offed and so I was just waiting to see how he got out of this latest jam. I am glad that it wasn't by selling some more bullshit to Maroni that he was dumb enough to believe. Because frankly I do think it's ridiculous that it took Fish's call to Maroni to get him to ask all these questions - especially, after Penguin's slip when he was electrocuted, about having to go see Falcone. I have to say though, while I found the way Penguin got out of the situation a little ridiculous, the little fat guy abandoning the machine and running off while Maroni chased after him was hilarious. 

While I understand Bruce's disappointment about how his parents' case is going so far and Alfred's natural anger about assassins coming to their home because Selena was placed there by Jim, I still thought their attitudes towards Jim was a bit much. At least he cares enough to want to try and solve the murder. The idea of 12 year old pampered/sheltered Bruce being able to handle things on his own and Alfred thinking he alone can protect him is ridiculous. Also, there was this really odd formal way Bruce and Jim were speaking to each other that bugged me. I get that Bruce is like a man-child and has a formal way of interacting with people all the time, but McKenzie played Jim as suddenly becoming super formal himself in his tone, body language, etc. The whole thing felt very weird and a little ridiculous when you remember that Jim is essentially speaking to a 12 year old child. 

Harvey having a crush was sort of endearing, except the actor seemed a lot older than the woman. I don't know if it's the facial hair but he just seemed so much older and it made it hard for me to feel the chemistry between them. It just felt a bit awkward to me. Jim and Leslie are really sweet and goes without saying, miles better than him and the boring, whiny nutter that is Barbara. But I'm sure we're all waiting for the other shoe to fall with regards to them. 

Nygma wants to be the new ME while Jim is inviting Dr. Thompkins to go for the position while Dr. Thompkins gets Jim to do a hot makeout session in front of everyone at the station. Somebody explain this riddle to me!

This very thing occurred to me when Jim mentioned the ME position to Leslie. I thought "wait, the ME position Nygma clearly wants to badly...I don't know if that will work out well for Leslie if he thinks she's taken the position from him." But maybe they'll get along better because she'll be willing to make him help out versus the other guy who just hated Nygma and wanted him nowhere near the corpses. And yeah, Nygma's revenge was beyond disturbing. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

While I understand Bruce's disappointment about how his parents' case is going so far and Alfred's natural anger about assassins coming to their home because Selena was placed there by Jim, I still thought their attitudes towards Jim was a bit much. At least he cares enough to want to try and solve the murder. The idea of 12 year old pampered/sheltered Bruce being able to handle things on his own and Alfred thinking he alone can protect him is ridiculous.

I felt bad for Jim too. Wasn't it pretty much Harvey Dent's fault for the assassin stuff? Wasn't he the one pretty much responsible for letting Selena's location get leaked? Why can't they take their bitterness out on him? Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3

From the episode recap:

Aha! He's still got his cell phone in his pocket! Good thing this show can't really decide what time period it's set in, so '70s muscle cars and rotary payphones happily coexist with T-Mobile.

What really hammered this home for me was when Cat-Tween was eating Frute Brute in the apartment.  Which, except for a brief period in 2013, hasn't been made in 30 years.

Morena Baccarin was stunning in this episode.  Just ..... wow !!

• Love 3

Great comments above that give me insight or at least theories for some of the characters' motivations.

So:

And with a name like Kris Kringle, the apple of Nygma's eye has got to be...what? The leader of a pack of reindeer?

I don't think Ed wanted to be the new ME.  I just believe he has some serious ocd issues that cause him to ignore professional (and personal) boundaries. 

I felt bad for Jim too. Wasn't it pretty much Harvey Dent's fault for the assassin stuff? Wasn't he the one pretty much responsible for letting Selena's location get leaked? Why can't they take their bitterness out on him?

Yeah but it was Jim's call to share info with Harvey and he did bring Selina to stay with them.  Ultimately, the responsibility does lie with Jim.  Besides they don't even know Harvey.

Any episode without Barbara is a good episode, imo. The writers have done such a piss poor job with that character that I hope Erin Richard's career won't suffer because of their bad writing.

I'm boarding the Jim and Leslie ship and the Bullock and Scotty ship. But something tells me, both are doomed. I don't mind that Leslie is in Jim's world more than she is in Bruce's, as the comics would have. It opens up the possibility of Ma Chilton coming to live with Alfred and Bruce. Speaking of which....

I'm not sure what Alfred's deal is. Don't get me wrong. I love Alfred. But he seemed happy when Bruce told Jim to get lost.

Harvey: "I'm a cop, the only thing I fear is decaf coffee". Love you, you big bunch of grumpy bear.

THIS made me laugh. I love Harvey to death, and yes, he's totally a grumpy bear, but he has a heart and is loyal to Jim. Love him!

Jim and Leslie are awesome together. I love their banter, flirting, etc. They have fantastic chemistry and Morena Baccarain is awesome.

My only beef was Penguin. How is this guy not dead yet? He is sooo weak and should've been iced six episodes ago based on his inability to defend himself. The whole car compacter thing made me roll my eyes a little, because Penguin didn't even try to escape. Then the car is being crushed, and the driver side door pops open, allowing Penguin to actually get out of the car. Instead, he's still begging for his life on the phone. There was no reason for the owner of the lot to believe him. I don't know, I just thought it was a stupid scene. I love Maroni messing with Penguin, that was good, but it just seems that Penguin begs too much all of the time. I'm not saying that Penguin needs to be muscle. I'm just saying that he gets into too many situations where he should rightfully been shot by now. He needs to learn to save himself, not be constantly begging for his life.

On top of that, Fish, Falcone and Maroni know they've been played by Penguin. So he's got no one to protect him anymore. Overall, good episode. Just, they need to "strengthen" up Penguin a bit. Have him be able to save his own butt, without begging.

• Love 2

Actually, Penguin is still in with Falcone because everything he has said to Falcone has been correct and he has helped him expose Fish and her plans to take Falcone down. So he still has that ace in his hand to wiggle around and survive. As for the begging and being weak - I disagree that because he does, he can't save himself. I actually like that Penguin isn't muscle and/or going around just wielding a gun. In my opinion, his strength is brain and his cunning and he has proven now multiple times that he very well can save himself. His brain is what got him out of being murdered when Fish first ordered his hit by knowing what he could tell Falcone to get him to at least listen and grant him his wish of having Jim murder him. And of course he made that request knowing exactly the person Jim was and that he wouldn't do it.

Also, Penguin has been shown to be violent - when he got picked up by the two college guys and he slashed one's throat with a bottle for mocking him and kidnapped the other. And when he stabbed and murdered the dishwasher guy at Maroni's restaurant to get his shoes. I think he also killed the fisherman guy when he washed up on shore after Jim saved him. So he's been plenty violent and showed some muscle but again that's not his strength - his real strength is his cunning and his smarts and while on one hand, I can certainly see his always surviving and wining becoming annoying, I do find it interesting and fascinating to watch this seeming physically weak guy take down all these dangerous gangsters. 

• Love 1

The whole car compacter thing made me roll my eyes a little, because Penguin didn't even try to escape. Then the car is being crushed, and the driver side door pops open, allowing Penguin to actually get out of the car. Instead, he's still begging for his life on the phone. There was no reason for the owner of the lot to believe him. I don't know, I just thought it was a stupid scene. 

That scene was SO annoying!  The show completely lost me when it showed Cobblepot struggling frantically to get out... of a car that he certainly could have unlocked and opened from the inside.  Did they explain why he couldn't?  Did they explain why Maroni didn't duct-tape Cobblepot's hands and mouth just to be sure?   Annoying writing because he didn't escape by his own wits, he escaped because his enemies failed Whacking A Guy 101.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 1

The not being able to get out of car from the inside was stupid. When I've seen other shows do that they usually had a pole or something pushing against the door, which would then make it impossible to get out. 

Gotham just likes to go with the stupid instead of the logical. 

Bullock trying to get his "game" on with Scottie was somehow pathetic and hilarious at the same time.  I blame Donal Logue for actually making that work. And, it helped that Scottie seemed to see through most of it.  He really is an easy book to read.

Best pickup line-"I want to die at home in a cozy bed, in the arms of a beautiful woman", followed by a sly glance. Try it.

That really WAS hilarious. Not exactly practicing the Tao of Steve, there, are you Harvey?  Is there any woman who WOULDN'T have seen through hamhanded lines like "are you Irish? I get the feeling you might be Irish", etc.  And he was so eager to sweep her off her feet at the meeting with more of the same horseshit that he ignored any suggestion that there might be more than one killer.  Good thing Jim didn't let his burgeoning romance with Dr. Thompkins cloud his thinking or Harvey would never have been able to heroically save Scottie's life. 

It's amazing how much more human Jim seems as a character when interacting with Leslie.  He isn't just grim and gruff and determined and wooden.  I love it!  I knew Morena Bacarin was going to seriously improve this show.

I've seen this sort of character before, a girl that's initially creeped out by a guy but eventually is amused and finds him endearing at the same time. I get that sort of vibe when it comes to Miss Kringle.

Yes, I agree that the show has been gradually suggesting this and I actually like how slowly they've been developing this relationship, since I feel Gotham has a problem with rushing through storylines too quickly, partially because they have a shitload of characters.  I'm curious now to see how things really develop between them - maybe they're going to become super-villains together.

• Love 1

Honestly I don't get why Maroni didn't off him with a bullet vs the whole convoluted car thing. Only on TV does the killer take the hard route to murder.

Yep and Leslie definitely have tons of chemistry. The kiss was sexy. Leslie is quite beautiful as well.

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 1

Alfred was never that enthused about having Jim around; he certainly didn't like it when Jim revealed that, though officially closed, the murder isn't solved.  Alfred invited him back because Bruce was responsive to Jim and not Alfred, the servant, and because Jim genuinely wanted to help.  However, Jim's investigation hasn't turned up anything concrete, and has through a series of perturbations resulted in assassins at Stately Wayne Manor and a disappointed/heartbroken Bruce.  Bruce is now willing to speak to Alfred, and to learn from him, so an outside mentor isn't necessary from Alfred's point of view.  I would feel more comfortable if Bruce would consent to go back to school, though.  Dr. Thompkins could do a lot to improve this situation, if they become acquainted.

Speaking of Dr. Thompkins, I think she has a good idea of Jim's position in the force.  She completmented him at Arkham for not giving in to the pressure to quit, and sticking by his principles.  They've run from crazed inmates together, and she doesn't seem phased.  She's willing to put on lipstick for him, so she's serious about moving forward.  She's on the quicky side, and probably will be able to stomach Ed.  I imagine Ed may be in awe of her, though his one true love remains Kristin.

I think Ed would appreciate some of Oswald's problem solving abilities.

Maroni stood there and watched the car compacter until the accomplice ran off, so it's a few notches above Dr. Evil.  Maybe crushed to death is one of his signature moves to discourage disloyalty.  I'll tell myself that the inside door handles had been removed, and Penguin had to wait for the door to pop open.  He does get himself in most of the trouble that he has to get out of, but as they say, experience is what you get right after you need it.  He needs to stop being so proud and cavalier.

What really hammered this home for me was when Cat-Tween was eating Frute Brute in the apartment.  Which, except for a brief period in 2013, hasn't been made in 30 years.

Maybe Barbara stocked up during the limited run.  We'll have to see if the next box is Yummy Mummy or Boo-Berry.

Oh wow, Ozzie, you really are at your best when you’re about to croak.  Winner for best emergency cell phone call intimidation.

His brilliance and cornered-rat viciousness really need that adrenal bump. Dr. Gerald Crane is missing out. Although I'm not sure how terrorizing to death + adrenal harvest = good of mankind, exactly.

I especially loved Penguin coming to covered in leaves, because there's a very famous old ballad called Babes in the Wood:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babes_in_the_Wood (also a ballad known as Children in the Wood) where two children are lost and covered with leaves by robins. Since the actor's name is Robin, I'm hoping that was an in-joke.

I am starting to wonder about both Leslie and Kris. Leslie because she's so impossibly, minutely perfect for Jim "Rebound" Gordon, to the point where I'm wondering if she's a plant or a robot, and Kris because she's either going to be a hugely insulting cliche' of "falling for your freak stalker" or she's planning something and Nygma is her perfect dupe. PLEASE let it be the latter.

And while Barbara rubs my fur up as much as anybody, I do feel for her. All that money and the security on her apartment is worse then any random flophouse in Gotham.

Edited by Snookums

The whole car compacter thing made me roll my eyes a little, because Penguin didn't even try to escape. Then the car is being crushed, and the driver side door pops open, allowing Penguin to actually get out of the car. Instead, he's still begging for his life on the phone.

That made perfect sense. Maroni was standing right there, if Oswald had tried to leave the car right then Maroni would probably have just dropped the theatrics and shot him. So first Oswald makes a last attempt to barter with Maroni, and when that fails he threatens the lot owner instead, which provided him the distraction he needed to get out of there. Quite frankly, what Oswald did there was the ONLY possible shot he had at getting out of there alive.

I think it makes sense not to want to leave the car for that reason, but we do clearly see Penguin's first instinct is to try to get out.  And at a certain point with the compactor coming down on him, you'd figure he would sooner risk maybe being shot than certainly being crushed to death.  But escaping wouldn't even have been an option if Maroni had a) bound Penguin's hands and feet, b) TAKEN AWAY HIS FLIPPIN CELL PHONE.  I'm usually willing to suspend disbelief, especially when the show's set in a comic book world, but I thought Maroni's fail was beyond silly.

Penguin is like a really fast thinking cockroach, he will never.freaking.die. He`s a bad guy, but I still kind of keep rooting for him to survive to see the next double cross. 

I love that Dr. Thomson didn't get upset when Jim started pulling out case stuff on their date. She actually ended up getting into helping Jim out! She seems like a she is going to be an interesting character, plus she seems like a great match for Jim. Please stay on the show, Morena!  

I have also started enjoying the captain a whole lot more lately. I like her a lot more as a sort of pragmatic ally to Jim than a possibly corrupt obstructive bureaucrat. I like their give and take. She reminds him that there are consequences to his one man mission to clean up Gotham, and he reminds her of how good it feels to actually do good.

Harvey and Jim banter is forever my favorite.  

Edited by tennisgurl
I have also started enjoying the captain a whole lot more lately. I like her a lot more as a sort of pragmatic ally to Jim than a possibly corrupt obstructive bureaucrat.

I laughed out loud, though at her line about the doctor taking Bobbi in front of a cop and that means he's pretty bold. I was all "Gotham PD has been established as the worst, most useless and corrupt force in the history of all humankind. Like, if you looked up "literally THE WORST" in Urban Dictionary there'd be a picture of the Gotham police force. I'm only surprised Strange didn't do a little tap dance on his way to the van."

• Love 1