Type keyword(s) to search

Southern At Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just to clarify, ya'll.  This thread is for discussion of past episodes or things that happened before season 2 episode 6.  From that point on every ep should have it's own thread to discuss the recipes and goings-on of that show.  Discussion of things that aren't specifically tied to one episode, like Damaris herself, should go in the appropriate topic-specific thread.  Thanks.

I watched the show today and I've had enough of that ditz Damaris. I see she's gone back to the format of teaching hapless men how to cook.  So far, she hasn't made a single recipe that I've been enticed to try. I also want to gag at how she uses coconut oil in everything. I hate coconut and I don't want my food to taste or smell like it. This is getting to the point where it isn't even worth watching for snark value.

Yeah, they say refined coconut oil is flavorless, but to me it does have a distinct flavor.  Not overwhelmingly coconut like unrefined, but I can still taste the coconut.  Plus, I bet refining it takes away a lot of the health benefit.

• Love 2

Isn't part of the reason it's everywhere these days related to the whole "oil pulling" practice that's suddenly all the fad but probably doesn't do a bit of good for you?  I think it must partly be, because I saw it on sale in the pharmacy section of my Walmart a couple weeks ago. 

If you haven't heard about this strange thing (which keeps filling up my FB feed), it's apparently an old Ayurvedic practice where you swish coconut (or other types) of oil around your mouth (think mouthwash) for a specific period of time and then spit it out.  It supposedly cures everything from tooth decay to diabetes. Or something.  Here's the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pulling

That whole oil pooling thing has me figuratively rolling my eyes out of their sockets. What a load of crap! I heard Carla Hall on The Chew say she does 20 minutes of olive oil every day. Pleassse.

I went back to Weight Watchers in December (and losing weight very nicely, thank you WW), and I went to their web site to see about coconut oil. They don't recommend it. They do recommend olive oil, vegetable oil, such as canola and sunflower. So while I'm intrigued, not enough to keep on doing what I'm doing.

• Love 1

Since the season is usually only six or eight episodes long, let's keep it to one thread for discussion.

In the meantime until it airs in October, here is a look at everything about the show and the host, Damaris Phillips.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/southern-at-heart.html

Previous episodes are online, and if you're catching up, you can post about them in the Past Seasons Talk. Also, a lot of her more popular recipes are listed on the site.

New season starts next weekend on Sunday, Oct. 26!

Damaris is hosting a late night feast, inspired by a lively zombie walk she saw in Louisville. A stunning Red Wine Spaghetti With Meatballs is followed by the perfect sweet treat, her decadent Banana Pudding. There's also Mulled Wine for her costumed party guests to sip on.

Today's new episode, airing at noon:

Friday night means football in Kentucky, and Chef Damaris loves to tailgate. She whips up some perfect comfort food for the game: Pulled Pork Nachos with Avocado Sour Cream, plus even dessert has a tailgate twist, with her divinely chewy Barbecue Brownies.

Chef Damaris shows off her unique take on traditional Southern picnic fare with her Bourbon-Brined Fried Chicken, Braised Red Cabbage and a decadent wine-infused White Mac and Cheese. It's all packed up and taken to the track, where it's time to eat, party and watch the horse races.

I'm not from Kentucky, but fried chicken does not say braised red cabbage to me.  Roasted pork loin or bratwurst say braised red cabbage to me.  Sauerbraten says braised red cabbage to me.  Is it a Kentucky/southern thing to have braised red cabbage with fried chicken?

And bread crumbs are not bacon.  Ever.

The macaroni and cheese did not appeal to me at all, except for the cream cheese which I fully support.  Although it did look nice and glossy.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 1

As a southerner, we never ate braised red cabbage growing up. Sauerkraut from plain old green cabbage, yes. But with fried chicken, Granny would have mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, beans, etc. I think she was trying to "fancy up" a tailgate party.

I think her boyfriend is cute, but what is it with young men today that they all have to have tattoos and be more effeminate than their women?  I could have blown that guy over with a feather.  I guess I'm just showing my age.  I love the swing dancing idea, though.  Damaris has a lot of joie de vivre.  I don't always love her food but I do enjoy watching her.  I would make that acorn squash dish but use real sausage, thankyouverymuch.

• Love 1

I have tried and just cannot, cannot take her voice and super cutesiness. She seems nice but there is a phoniness that seems underlying. I'll be skipping her future shows. I could be way off, but for me, Dameris just grates.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've never watched a full episode of this show. Does Damaris use coconut oil in all her frying? It certainly seems like she's fond of it.

Her "enchalasagna" looked interesting, if by interesting, you mean nauseating. I didn't know a crumb topping on a casserole was a uniquely Southern thing.

Edited by pandora spocks

Because of Damaris, I've started using coconut oil when I cook. It's better for you, and it also doubles as a great skin moisturizer. 

Every recipe of hers that I have tried has been delicious.

This woman is seriously annoying, and I only watched it because I was in bed, sick as a dog. She calls her ingredients "little guys", "cuties", or even worse "bad boys" a la Guy Fietttti. Is her role model an 11 year old boy? She squirms and shakes her arms and hips which, I guess she thinks of as "dancing". Her voice is gratin and annoying. IMHO, she is unwatchable (unless you are sick in bed)!

• Love 1

Awww, I really enjoy Damaris and her show. I can't be alone or she wouldn't be into Season 4. I like that she's a culinary instructor so she has credibility. I've gotten some good ideas watching her shows. She's welcome on my TV any time.

• Love 1

I like her too, but that is not a menu I would pick for kids. The slices of meatloaf were ginormously thick. It looked like one of the girls was eating bread with no filling at all in the end. And you're taking them to a show about healthy eating, but feeding them fried meatloaf?

I am interested to know what the green tomato jam tastes like. Similar to a ketchup?

I live in Louisville and I always thought I'd be the first person to have a cooking show from Louisville, even though she lives on the opposite end of the county. I do like some of the things she makes, even though some of them don't ring "Kentucky" for me. I have a great legacy of cooking dating back to the 1800's and mine doesn't jive with mine. No worried, everyone is different. But the constant "little babies, guys, oooey-gooey...." It grates. And that's a shame because as an instructor, I think she definitely serves a purpose. 

• Love 2

I noticed at the beginning of today's episode (a brunch of mostly sweet stuff for her mother & grandpa) she now calls herself a "chef", instead of a "culinary instructor", in her voice over at the opening of the show.

Congrats to Damaris - she just started her 5th season, where she introduced her husband of 60 days.  I watch her show more for entertainment than for inspiration for new recipes; most of her food just doesn't appeal to me.  I hate to be shady, but I spent most of the episode wondering if her husband was on the downlow.

• Love 2

Congrats to Damaris - she just started her 5th season, where she introduced her husband of 60 days.  I watch her show more for entertainment than for inspiration for new recipes; most of her food just doesn't appeal to me.  I hate to be shady, but I spent most of the episode wondering if her husband was on the downlow.

I've thought this since he first appeared on the show.  She called him her "gentleman" then.

• Love 1

He's also apparently a vegetarian, which I hope is a separation she keeps between home and work because I'm really not that interested in stuff like Sloppy Joes made with soy crumbles.  I'm sure they're fine and all but I'd rather she show more fish dishes if she wants to cut back on the meats.  Louisville has the biggest (or one of the biggest) FedEx air hubs and supposedly the fish available there is pretty much as good as on the coasts.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

Saw her new show yesterday...looks like she is hiding a baby bump.

I was thinking the same thing--I know that she has said that she really was looking forward to having children so I wouldn't be surprised. I think that Demaris is one of the best FNS picks--she is pleasant, her food looks tasty, and she is a trained chef all good things IMO.

• Love 1

According to her Facebook, tomorrow's episode of Southern at Heart is the last one and Damaris Phillips is leaving Food Network. 

Wow. I thought she had staying power. Hope it was her decision.

Edited by chessiegal

May be just as well.  She is a culinary instructor, and wanted to do a cooking/recipe based show.  With the new regime coming in and more emphasis on competition shows, has-been stars, travel and eat shows and such she may well have been asked to go the way of Bal Arneson and do a show with more dumb stories and less cooking, at which point I wouldn't blame her if she told them to go scratch.

• Love 1