Type keyword(s) to search

Help, I've Fallen (Into A Marathon) and I Can't Get Up

• Start Topic

I dunno, Walnut.  This is no bleary-eyed, wiped-out-at-4a.m, 12-hour run.  This one's hardcore.

Hardcore is every episode from one to this season's opener in one sitting, trying to watch fast enough for my DVR not to overload.  This one's not so bad - I hope to time it so I catch up with the new episode at exactly 6:20 on Sunday evening.  Without wearing astronaut diapers.  :-D

• Love 2
(edited)

"Oh, piffle," she says.  "What's 49 straight hours of Walking Dead?"

I bow to the Queen.

ETA:  Ah!  I see there's an eight-hour chunk they're repeating.

Still bowing.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

Feeling a lot of pressure, but I'm maintaining.  Maybe if I FF all the Andrea scenes, I could take a nap.  (Wow, she found the governor a tasty bit of man meat right off the bat--she was crouched behind the bush, glittering.)

Finding the prison was thrilling.

I've seen it before and I was still certain Herschel was going to chomp idiot Maggie curled up on his chest.

Hi Merle!

• Love 3

I haven't started yet - I am the Queen of ff'ing through commercials, so I'm watching the other shows that recorded during my early evening nap right now ...  I'll catch up to you soon, though.   I'll probably ff through some of the Governor stuff - that really doesn't captivate me as much.  :-)

• Love 2

Most of 4 and 5a just don't compare to the earlier seasons, especially 2. So I'm specifically trying to avoid marathon-ing this weekend, because as it is I'm already sufficiently used to watching Eugene and FPP that I'm sort of vaccinated against bad episodes. Last thing I need is to raise the bar too high, and then discover that Sunday's episode consists entirely of Abraham finally going full dolphin.

• Love 6

Last thing I need is to raise the bar too high, and then discover that Sunday's episode consists entirely of Abraham finally going full dolphin.

I don't even know if full dolphin is a thing and it still gives me massive giggles.

Agree, the time at Hershel's farm was the jewel in the crown.

Andrea swaggering around, glittering at The Gov, and Rick on the damn ghost phone. . .not so much.  Good thing Michonne kept the cylinders firing.

• Love 3

I'm so jealous of you guys who can just marathon like this. I have three kids, and the oldest is 6. Way too young to watch TWD. So unless I just shut myself in my room for the room for the entire weekend (sounds tempting!), I'm SOL. I do own every season, whether on DVD or DVR, and I usually do my own marathon during breaks, but I'll admit I just haven't wanted to this time. Maybe tonight I'll end up watching something? Here's hoping tomorrow night makes up for the disappointment that was the first half of season five!

• Love 3

One of the things the marathons really make me appreciate is how the show has always had peaks and valleys and that for every half season that seemed disappointing, there were still real gems in the bunch that made me remember what I loved about the show.  I wasn't wild about season 3, for example, but for every Arrow on the Doorpost we had to sit through, we also got Clear and This Sorrowful Life.  (This particular stretch is on right now.)  A lot of people love season 2, but along with the rampant sexism and just all around terrible writing for women and the triangle that wouldn't die, we got clunkers like the well walker in Cherokee Rose and the endless handwringing over what to do about Randall in Judge, Jury, and Executioner.  The first half of five limped to an end on the backs of a story and a character I didn't care about, but we also got episodes like No Sanctuary, Four Walls and a Roof, and Consumed.  

It's always been like this and probably always will be.  I don't know if it's the nature of the storytelling they're doing or the story they're trying to tell or what the issue is.

• Love 3

One really good thing this marathon period has done for me is given me a chance to catch up on the comics a little bit. Last year I was able to find a copy of Issue 1 on the library shelf, but since then I'd never ben able to find anything earlier than 5. Today I finally got my hands on copies of 2 and 3, and was very surprised by that. But it actually makes sense. Fans of the series aren't reading the books right now; they're watching TV.

• Love 1
(edited)

True, true, Parker.  There are treasures in every season.*  And marathons are an excellent delivery system--much better than waiting days or weeks for a score.

It's more chilling to see Rick and Carl ignore the desperate hitchhiker--pausing to snag the backpack from his gut goo, uff--when the Randall angst is fresh in your mind.  (Re Randall, now I say "Just shoot him already."  I can't remember whether I Dale'd out the first time around:  "Well, they can't just kill him!")

I consider Herschel's Farm the peak because so many of the characters were in the process of morphing into different personalities.  Those are the richest storylines, for me, and it was a damn smorgasbord.  The showrunners still arrange that, in small individual servings.  Newly minted Badass Carol.  And jeez. . .Beth!  I thought I might get old and die in real time during Beth's struggle for maturity.  Looks like we're about to see Morgan 3.0.

*Note:  nothing could persuade me to re-watch the Brian's Song episodes.  I can't even remember the name of the current valuable team member we ultimately netted from all that.  Likes women, filtered creek water that one time. . .?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

One really good thing this marathon period has done for me is given me a chance to catch up on the comics a little bit. Last year I was able to find a copy of Issue 1 on the library shelf, but since then I'd never ben able to find anything earlier than 5. Today I finally got my hands on copies of 2 and 3, and was very surprised by that. But it actually makes sense. Fans of the series aren't reading the books right now; they're watching TV.

I'm glad you're enjoying them, but I will NEVER read the comics.  Ever.  Or the "companion book series" or fanfic, etc.  Don't want to know anything that goes on in them, either.  ;-)

• Love 4

Where in blue blazes have you been? Missed you!

I started working 7 days a week and I use my spare time to sleep haha. I've been watching tv like crazy, but there's never enough time to post, it seems. I watch too many shows!! But it's nice to know I was missed. :)

To go back on topic, I managed to catch part of the episode where Bob steals the booze and falls out the window. I couldn't stop laughing. I really didn't like him. Tainted meat kind of redeemed him a bit, though.

• Love 6
It's more chilling to see Rick and Carl ignore the desperate hitchhiker

The hitchhiker never bothered me.  Rick and co. aren't responsible for his life or for his death and they're not obligated to pick up every stray along the way.  The HH had his own chance to learn how to survive and figure out a way to avoid getting killed by walkers.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Rick and co. aren't responsible for his life or for his death and they're not obligated to pick up every stray along the way.  

I agree with you but I have to stick with chilling because the scene is such a good illustration of the "new normal," where pragmatism outweighs compassion.  It wasn't feasible for them to interrupt their serious mission and deal with strangers.  But to bypass someone who's desperately begging for your help, without so much as a glance in the rearview mirror, indicates some serious damage in the basic humanity department.  

Big change from all Rick's mental anguish over Randall.  Young "Shoot him, Daddy" Carl was an early adapter.

The theme for the first two seasons seemed to be toughening up, but then reversed to "Can we come back from this?"  I don't know what soul-battles they're fighting now.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

I think that scene bothered me because they picked up other people, let others join their group. Why not one dude? Granted, he was kind of an idiot for screaming and attracting the walkers, but he was desperate. I probably would've been screaming as well. As PP said, the gang wasn't responsible for the hitchhiker, but it really didn't need to happen like that. Then again, I wouldn't be able to watch anyone suffer and would probably die 3 hours into the apocalypse.

• Love 6

The HH bothers me not just because of the coldness, but because I'd like to ask the three in the car : How are you all here?

If I remember. Rick, nobody knew you when you were trapped in a tank in Atlanta. There were a hell of a lot of walkers around you, Rick, and none around Orange Backpack Guy. You don't know if he has a gun? CDB did know you had a gun. They knew you had blown their escape and they could have not risked their lives horribly if they had just left you there. But they didn't; did they RIck?

Why is your son Carl alive?

The Greene's could have protected themselves by shooting at crazed strangers running into their safe place screaming for help...but they saved Carl, saved T-Dog, gave a whole rogue's gallery of weirdos shelter and water and food.

Even after you did nothing for them but bring trouble on to the farm until it was overrun and burned down and they still stayed with you and were loyal and provided much help you would never have had if they had decided that your lives were not their responsibility.

Michonne? How did you end up safe in a car with Rick and Carl?

Were you invited at a meet-and-greet over tea and cookies?

No, you showed up as a bloody stranger about to be attacked by walkers, and your little stunt with the Governor brought 2 wars on the prison. (Yeah, I know the Gov was BSC; that's why you don't provoke revenge from a lunatic, ya know, something bad might result?) The prison group could have decided that your life and death is not their obligation. You got saved from a freakin' herd, got medical treatment, got allies to fight Woodbury, and also got a new home, a group, and close relationships with people who gave you a chance to show your valuable skills--- because they gave you a chance.

That's another reason that I go nuts over the hermit murder. Let's see...group of crazy people break down the barriers of your camp and you only want to defend yourself but you still don't shoot first you give them a chance to leave but you get murdered and piled on by walkers because they felt like you were in the way for their purposes.

Hmmm. Less than 24 hours later, the Governor and his army do what?

There is such a thing as karma.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 10

I completely agree, @kikismom. If others hadn't stepped up, they would have all been dead. Furthermore, they pick and choose who they want!! It's entirely their perogative, of course, and the chances of them staying alive and uninjured are probably higher if they don't rescue random dudes on the side of the street, but come on!!!! It could have made up for the guy Carl shot point blank! I'm still bitter about that, as you can tell.

• Love 4

The first of the two Gov./Phillip/Brian episodes isn't quite as godawful to have to sit through as the second one but I never rewatch them either.  I usually stick around just long enough for the montage at the beginning (because I'm an all-day sucker for a well-done montage) and then go to the store or clean the house or something.  The second episode in that pairing only enrages me as it proves over and over again that the show had waaaay too many people too stupid to have survived that long all camping apparently within a quarter-mile of each other.

The hitchhiker at the time bothered me because of how utterly indifferent they were about him and then "profited" from that indifference by very callously retrieving his orange backpack, which they still have by the way.  I get that it's not a big thing at all in the grand scheme of things and what they were trying to illustrate about where our characters' heads were at.  It still leaves me cold every time I see it because kikismom is right.  Every single one of those three would have long since been dead had someone not taken a chance on them when conventional wisdom might have said no.

Rewatching season three yesterday and four today has also driven home how much more sense Michonne as a character makes over the long term because I remember being really underwhelmed and sort of annoyed by her and her near muteness or inability to answer even basic questions when the episodes first aired.  I still don't think the show has done the job it could have filling in her backstory, but taken as a whole culminating in After and Claimed, I can at least see the story they were trying to tell of someone who had been so traumatized and shut down that she could live among our group for months and still never tell them one detail about who she had been.

• Love 3

I've been watching the marathon on and off. Still dislike Dale, Lori was annoying and I'm kind of pissed at what the writer's did with Andrea. She was okay with me until Woodbury. Then she became the dumbest female on earth and I was happy when she was gone. The attempts to flesh out Beth still bug. The moonshine ep is still beyond stoopid. It makes sense now why Sasha was wearing that heavy sweater in Georgia heat. They were trying to hide the actress's pregnancy.

• Love 4

They were trying to hide the actress's pregnancy.

The sweater at the back-half of 4? She wasn't pregnant yet. She would have been pregnant throughout the entirety of season 5 since she had the baby at the end of filming the season. She was barely showing at 8 months, at least everywhere but her stomach. Since they start filming in April/May she would have only been 3-ish months at the beginning of season 5. I assume we'll see some creative blocking this back half though. 

The only real opinion of mine that changes with the marathons is that I find myself with more sympathy for Lori. She still did stupid things and she drove me crazy in season 2, but I'm not as frustrated with her. Andrea still bugs though and I find myself disliking the Woodbury storyline more each time I see those episodes. I really enjoyed them the first go around (minus how stupid Andrea got) but maybe knowing that it drags out for awhile has tainted it. 

Also, yep, I will forever cry at the Carol-Daryl-Rick and Rick-Judith and Tyrese-Sasha reunion. Every time. And then I will laugh-cry over the look on poor Judith's face at the end. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 2

The hitchhiker at the time bothered me because of how utterly indifferent they were about him and then "profited" from that indifference by very callously retrieving his orange backpack, which they still have by the way.  I get that it's not a big thing at all in the grand scheme of things and what they were trying to illustrate about where our characters' heads were at.  It still leaves me cold every time I see it because kikismom is right.  Every single one of those three would have long since been dead had someone not taken a chance on them when conventional wisdom might have said no.

The HH event bothered me a lot. It pointed to a loss of humanity with our 'heroes'.

I know that in the ZA, hypocrisy is a much lessor sin but Rick banishing Carol for David's and Karen's killings seemed very off after leaving the HH to die. I'm in the 'Carol had a good rationale' camp as far as D and K went.

• Love 1

The HH event bothered me a lot. It pointed to a loss of humanity with our 'heroes'.

I know that in the ZA, hypocrisy is a much lessor sin but Rick banishing Carol for David's and Karen's killings seemed very off after leaving the HH to die. I'm in the 'Carol had a good rationale' camp as far as D and K went.

The HH event did not bother me much. The difference from when Rick was helped out by Glenn, and the current conditions, are stark. When Rick was helped, the walkers were the greater danger. Now, as Morgan later eluded to in the episode, people were the greater danger. In fact all of season three was about the transition to, the living humans, being the greater danger. At the point of the HH incident, your first thought upon meeting someone new, should be, who is going to attempt to kill who first. Second thought, can this person pull his or her weight. Third, do I even have the time to deal with the above crap. In Rick's case at the HH incident, he was on a time constraint mission. Hell the only reason he took Michonne, is because he did not trust her enough to leave her at the prison with the others.

• Love 3

Ahhh, the HH debate. Isn't it interesting how that 30 second scene really resonated with so many people? My husband and I have gone round about that one many times. Honestly, I can see all sides. At first I was of the same mind as kikismom - CDB was saved many times by strangers, can't they pay it forward? But I can also agree that as time goes on, walkers become less of a threat and humans have become more ruthless and scary. What if HH guy had been faking his desperation, got into the car, then went crazy, stabbed them all, and stole that little green thing? Unlikely, but still.....

After many arguments, I've kind of decided we could compromise (if Mr. Ghoulina and I were in the car) - throw the dude a knife and some food, but don't take him in. 

So many hard decisions in the ZA. But, yea, I think seeing them just opportunistically grab the dead dude's backpack was quite chilling.

• Love 4
So many hard decisions in the ZA. But, yea, I think seeing them just opportunistically grab the dead dude's backpack was quite chilling.

Chilling?  Maybe - but definitely pragmatic.  And in the middle of the ZA, I suspect pragmatism may be one of the most valued AND under-appreciated traits a person can have.

• Love 3
Chilling?  Maybe - but definitely pragmatic.  And in the middle of the ZA, I suspect pragmatism may be one of the most valued AND under-appreciated traits a person can have.
]

Oh, I'm sure you completely right. Which is probably why you would fair well in a ZA, and I'd probably be eaten the first week. "I want to save errrrrbody!"

• Love 4

Oh, I'm sure you completely right. Which is probably why you would fair well in a ZA, and I'd probably be eaten the first week. "I want to save errrrrbody!"

I've been married for going on thirty years - so yes, I am one pragmatic m**********r.

Oh, damn - I was hoping I'd miss the "dolphin smooth" this time around.  I'd forgotten how much God hates me.

• Love 4

Once all the pet food ran out, and feeding my critters became a problem, I'd probably turn into a Termite myself (well, maybe not the entrapment/slaughter part so much, but definitely the feeding part!).  We all have our notions of what we would do, and they are all blown out of the water by reality.

• Love 2

I'm still dumbfounded that we as viewers were really expected to believe that all of these hardened survivors fell for Eugene's BS hook. line, and sinker or at the very least accepted "it's classified" as any kind of answer to any of the very times any of them did question it.  I know it's probably supposed to say something about how desperate they were to latch onto some kind of hope in something after the horror show of Terminus, but it doesn't get any easier to swallow on rewatch.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 2

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I am impressed with Eugene's gift of gab and line of BS. The mullet not so much.

Not at all, SoSueMe!  I lived with a pathological liar for too many years to be surprised at ANY BS believed, if it is spoken with conviction.

• Love 2

Hell the only reason he took Michonne, is because he did not trust her enough to leave her at the prison with the others.

He had no problem at all letting her wander through Zombie Town with Coral. That is pretty much the definition of trust. Which means his decision right afterwards to let a sadistic torturer/murderer have her was the exact definition of backstabbing. 

• Love 2

I still don't understand why Eugene thought telling Abe to head to DC was a good idea. I live in the DC Metro area and I can tell you, if it's a nightmare now, just imagine what it'll be like with millions of dead-os.

No different.....

• Love 4

I'm still dumbfounded that we as viewers were really expected to believe that all of these hardened survivors fell for Eugene's BS hook. line, and sinker or at the very least accepted "it's classified" as any kind of answer to any of the very times any of them did question it.  I know it's probably supposed to say something about how desperate they were to latch onto some kind of hope in something after the horror show of Terminus, but it doesn't get any easier to swallow on rewatch.

I don't think they did fall for it - hence the continued questioning until he fessed up.  Rather, I think they decided Abraham and Rosita could be valuable allies - and since Abraham was so thoroughly committed to Eugene, they were willing to put up with Eugene's doubletalk so long as it didn't infringe on anything serious. 

You can't tell me Glenn was taking Eugene seriously on the bus when, after another of Eugene dropped another of his conversational buzzword bombs, Glenn is quiet for a second then asks, "Well - what about the hair?"  :)

• Love 4

He had no problem at all letting her wander through Zombie Town with Coral. That is pretty much the definition of trust. Which means his decision right afterwards to let a sadistic torturer/murderer have her was the exact definition of backstabbing. 

Because I was raised on Star Trek, I truly believe that the ZA is one never ending Kobayashi Maru exam. With the extreme downside of not being able to cheat. If you win, you lose something. If you lose, you lose even more. By the time the Governor made his offer for Michonne. Rick was full into the needs of the many out weighs the needs of the few or the one. Rick will never know the pleasure of smugly eating an apple, as he reflects on his brilliance in the face of certain death.  

• Love 3

Commercial note:

I'm OD'd on Saul.   Bob Odenkirk's been on my screen more than Rick Grimes. 

My husband knows nothing about that show, but he already hates it, because of all the promos, and also that it's pushing back Talking Dead until 11:15 tonight.

• Love 3

The HH bothers me not just because of the coldness, but because I'd like to ask the three in the car : How are you all here?

Michonne? How did you end up safe in a car with Rick and Carl?

Were you invited at a meet-and-greet over tea and cookies?

No, you showed up as a bloody stranger about to be attacked by walkers, and your little stunt with the Governor brought 2 wars on the prison. (Yeah, I know the Gov was BSC; that's why you don't provoke revenge from a lunatic, ya know, something bad might result?) The prison group could have decided that your life and death is not their obligation. You got saved from a freakin' herd, got medical treatment, got allies to fight Woodbury, and also got a new home, a group, and close relationships with people who gave you a chance to show your valuable skills--- because they gave you a chance.

I have to disagree there. Michonne was stuck in that car with Rick and Carl because she was foolish enough to take a risk previously that was akin to picking up the hitchhiker: saving Andrea. We've seen evidence that Michonne had adapted better than almost any other character introduced thus far in the ZA to her environment and surviving admirably well. The dead weight that was Andrea cost Michonne her pack mule zombies, temporarly her sword, and seemingly dulled some of her instincts. The more relatable she has become; the more like the rest of the group...the more she has let her guard down and been susceptible to ambush.

It makes sense now why Sasha was wearing that heavy sweater in Georgia heat. They were trying to hide the actress's pregnancy.

So, is the actor playing Tyreese pregnant?

Speaking of Tyreese, upon re-watch, I once again cringed at Daryl going along with Tyreese's complicated idiotic plan rather than Rick's almost foolproof one. I wouldn't pin Beth's death on him, but will people please stop listening to him when it  comes to dealing with people who want to kill them? His head is not where it needs to be! (See also: Sasha and policeman Bob.)

• Love 3

Anybody else note the exquisite irony of FPP running around outside his church screaming to be let in for safety from the walkers? ;>

I thought it was rather karmic.

I liked re-watching some of these episodes. I picked up on a few minor things I missed first time round. Gareth telling Bob the glass would break soon and then it does when FPP pants gets to the school.

The fact that Noah is lurking behind the cars when Daryl/Carol were first going into the building. We see him again watching them through the glass when they're crossing the bridge.

When FPP runs back to the church begging to be let in he screams about understanding it now and letting him live with it, rather then die like his flock.

See, all I can think during that scene, still, is how much it reminds me of an old Greg Kihn music video called "Jeopardy," in which he breaks off a big piece of wood to battle his way through a churchload of zombies. I couldn't even listen to the dialogue, because I was too busy singing that damned song.

• Love 2

I thought so too until I actually met online a person who actually believed it. 

I'm not sure they accepted it or believed in the worth of Abe and Rosita as allies; I think (IMHO) that they knew the 3 Stooges had saved their lives and it would be a little weird to say, thanks for that, but now I have to say you must be stupid and you should shove your ideas.

They were a little bit obligated to play nice at least for a while.

• Love 1