Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: A Night to Remem...Wait, What?

• Start Topic

Frank arrives at Lou’s to pick up his six figure insurance settlement and is shocked to learn that he’s already collected it. Meanwhile, Fiona and Gus continue to hit if off, so much so that Gus admits he’s falling in love with her.

Meanwhile, Lip visits Amanda and her family at her luxurious house in Miami. Carl starts a new job as a drug dealer but quickly realizes he’s in over his head. Ian goes overboard when he starts stealing suitcases from the airport baggage claim.

Promo:

Clips:

Whoa.  I don't know what to say about Fiona.   The thing is I like this guy for her, based on what we know about him to this point but this can only end badly with her moving so fast.   It's Shameless so it will all go bad somehow but they were really cute AND hot together this episode.

Vee had me CRACKING UP when she orgasmed on the dance floor and her reaction afterwards.   But now I'm really starting to worry about her and Kev.   I don't know many parents but is Vee's behavior normal and is Kev's?

How old is the kid that plays Debbie's new "friend."

Ian and Mickey, in typical Shameless fashion went from hysterically funny (Ian chasing Mickey around with a giant dildo), to lump in my throat sad (seeing how Ian is spiraling by overdoing the whole airport luggage thing).

And this episode just displays why I can't stand Amanda, she's just a spoiled little princess who looks for drama and discord.   I probably wouldn't dislike her if she weren't a character in a sea of characters with REAL problems.

• Love 1

Hmm... So Debbie knows about birth control but not about consent. She has never been dumb.

Of course the black guys played drug dealers. Much like Mandy's black bf is abusive. 

Fiona being a mess and getting married to a guy she has known for like a week. Sounds smart.

Ian and Mickey were amusing. But are they allowed to touch at all? They never get the same treatment as hetro couples on this show.

Mickey giving Ian pills to mix with alcohol was so freaking dumb. 

Edited by backhometome
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed the scenes with lip and Amanda's father though the pot smoking seemed out of character. Aren't her parents supposed to be super uptight?

I think the show has failed in not giving us enough mickey and ian after how amazing they were last season. They're wasting noel fishers talent.

Frank is much more enjoyable with Carl than with Sheila of Sammy. Glad those two were not on tonight.

Fiona's new guy came out of nowhere. He's hot and seems nice. Wonder where they are going with it. Also confused what the point was in showing us stimmy at the end of last season,

Vee had me CRACKING UP when she orgasmed on the dance floor and her reaction afterwards.   But now I'm really starting to worry about her and Kev.   I don't know many parents but is Vee's behavior normal and is Kev's?

How old is the kid that plays Debbie's new "friend."

I think that in Kev and Vee's case, its alot of miscommunication. Remember, Vee was never big on the becoming a mom, it was always Kev who was big on having children in their lives. He's the one who pursued fostering with Ethel and was broken up when she left. He also let his "ex" wife back in because he though she had his son.

I think Vee is like alot of married women; because being a mother is such an expectation, she never thought twice about if it was really for her or not. Combine that with the doctor telling her she'd never have kids, she did everything she could to have 1. In turn she got three (nearly 4). Vee is realizing too late that she makes a great aunt, and not so great a mom.

Kev, on the flipside is taking to parenting like a duck to water, he is heavily invested in his children, them being the only biological family he knows adds a whole new dimension of love and wonder. He's frustrated with Vee for not being in love with a traditional mother role; I think he has a very finite idea of what constitutes a family: very maternal and warm mom, proud papa, and loving kids.

They need to come up with a parenting plan that works for both of them, neither will be 100% fulfilled but they'll be happier if they can come up with a solid parenting plan that contains a mixture of both of their styles. If they can't come to a middle ground, Kev and Vee as we know them aren't going to last.

The kid playing Debbies friend Derek is played by Lucas Oriel according to google. No clear answer on his age, but an article about a short film he did last year said he was 14.

• Love 1

Objectively, Fiona's made an incredibly stupid decision. In light of the many, many stupid decisions that she's made previous to this, however, probably not the worst thing she could have done. That being said, he's a sweet guy and Fiona is totally going to break him.

Growing up in foster care, Kev, like a lot of people who grow up in dysfunctional situations, probably had an idea of the "perfect" family that he was going to create for himself. I think it's very common for new parents to become so wrapped in up parenting that they neglect their relationship, or to feel resentful of how much their life has changed.

Amanda's parents no doubt are uptight, but before this we were also only getting Amanda's view of them. I actually like Amanda in that I think she's been really good for Lip in a lot of ways. I don't think she even remotely understands the challenges that he faces, but she's shown more than once that she's willing to pitch in to help him out and keep him on track. It will be interesting to see if him bonding with her dad makes her more or less interested in him.

• Love 1

I don't know if I have a bad feeling, but I don't really have a good feeling either. She really knows nothing about him--at least he's met her family but she hasn't met his. On the surface he seems like a retread of the nice Paper Company guy from last season--and we know how that worked out--or he could have a dark past or secrets like Stimmy.

And speaking of Stimmy--where's his diner girl who comes in every day with her $100 tip. Presumably he's gonna show up sooner or later, or what's the point?

Re Lip, I liked the bonding with Amanda's dad but also had the thought that she'll lose interest in him if he's suddenly acceptable to her dad.

• Love 1

Sometimes marriages work out under weird circumstances. Fiona HAS been written making some really stupid decisions in the past couple of seasons, and this seems to be the most centered she's been in a while. He seems to be a decent influence (missed shift notwithstanding). It probably won't last, but it is a nice change for the character. Debbie seems aiming more age appropriate, and maybe the boxing thing will be good for her. Saw Lip bonding with the Dad as soon as he mentioned his major! Hope that works out for him. He deserves a success he can earn. (And pot smoking IS what uptight people do for recreation; they still think it's "edgy".)

• Love 1

Amanda started dating Lip to annoy her parents so now that her dad likes him (and she sees how similar they are), I predict she will dump Lip. It doesn't help that Lip was ignoring her in order to look at stuff in her dad's lab. 30 year old Amanda might really enjoy seeing her boyfriend bond with her dad but 20 year old Amanda is not interested in that. Lip's most appealing feature to her was how much her parents disliked him.

I just hope that her dad follows through on that internship next summer even if Lip is no longer dating Amanda in a year. To be honest, when he showed Lip his hiding spot I thought he was trying to trick Lip into getting his fingerprints on the mushroom foam so that he could call the cops on him or something later.

Ian's manic state definitely set off Mickey's alarms, thank goodness. I just hope he has the sense to tell Lip and Fiona. It was sad to see the realization come over him because the first scene with Ian in a suit, Svetlana in her fake fur, and Mickey being chased around by someone else's dildo was a cute moment in their family.

While I am all for Debbie having an age appropriate crush, this guy is doing nothing for me. He seems really boring and unintersested in her. Then again, girls get crushes on guys for the lamest reasons so at least he was nice enough to help her. How did the other girls find out that Debbie was a rapist? Matt is too old to be talking to more girls her age so maybe Carl told someone what he overheard?

Frank on his Memory-esque quest mostly made me realize that it's been a long time since I last watched that movie and I need to dig out my DVD. Am I supposed to think that Frank is capable of compassion because he gave all the money to a good cause while he was high? Because I don't. Where is he going to live now that Sheila's house has burned down? I did like that Frank knows he usually only blacks out when he smokes crack.

Oh, Fiona. Just because Pfender's parents got married two days after they met and it worked out doesn't mean you should try it too! They really know nothing about each other. Is he willing to help her take care of her family? Liam is still very young so that's committing to over a decade of raising his wife's brother. Deb and Carl are still pretty young too so that's a minimum of 4-6 years of taking care of them which means having three kids in the house (and that's assuming that the kids will all leave when they're 18 which is not a guarantee). 

And is she willing to be the wife of a guy in a band? Is she going to attend all of his shows? Is she going to be okay with him going on the road while she stays home with the kids without worrying about groupies or being jealous?

The one good thing about this quickie marriage is that Sean didn't act like a jealous jerk when he found out.

Ian and Mickey were amusing. But are they allowed to touch at all? They never get the same treatment as hetro couples on this show.

what occurred to me after last night was I just feel insulted by how they have Ian and Mickey being portrayed. they dont act like a couple. they act like friends. good friends. the only episode so far this season in which anyone could see they were a couple was episode 1.

the show was recently nominated for a GLAAD award too. not sure why. 

• Love 2

Amanda started dating Lip to annoy her parents so now that her dad likes him (and she sees how similar they are), I predict she will dump Lip. It doesn't help that Lip was ignoring her in order to look at stuff in her dad's lab.

I don't know, Amanda grinning as she walked away seemed to indicate she was actually happy with them bonding. Combined with the vagina sex she might be more into Lip then I previously thought.

• Love 6

Am I supposed to think that Frank is capable of compassion because he gave all the money to a good cause while he was high? Because I don't. 

He did ask for the money back and tried to steal a little girl's prosthetic leg by dragging her across the floor (still laughing at that one!), so I don't think so.  When Lou said they'd opened a bank account, I thought Frank was getting a little bit responsible.  Yeah right!

what occurred to me after last night was I just feel insulted by how they have Ian and Mickey being portrayed. they dont act like a couple. they act like friends. good friends. the only episode so far this season in which anyone could see they were a couple was episode 1

What makes it worse is they cut a sex scene between them in episode 5x03. Thats BS. We have to see the hetero couples having sex every episode but Ian/Mickey sex scene gets cut from the episode completely. 

• Love 1

backhometome, do not get me started on the cut scene from 5X03. LMAO

I think we need to just face the fact that Ian and Mickey went to a doctor and got fixed. i mean, i dont know how else to explain how they behave around each other. 

i do know that if Mickey calls Ian 'man' one more time, I may just break my TV

i do know that if Mickey calls Ian 'man' one more time, I may just break my TV

Lol. This doesnt bother me as much tbh.

Its not even about wanting sex scenes between Ian/Mickey its wanting to see them get the same treatment as every other couple on the show. Bonnie/Carl, who were what 12, kissed more in S4 than Ian/Mickey in 5 seasons. 

I wouldnt even know they were dating if the word boyfriend wasnt used once in the last 2 eps. 

I wouldnt even know they were dating if the word boyfriend wasnt used once in the last 2 eps. 

exactly this. I've seen speculations that the show does not want them being "too gay" because the gay community is not their target audience

...and that is okay. the problem is that the show knows they are a popular couple. they have even done promos with their couple name...given out t-shirts, etc with ian/mickey on it......yet, dont treat them like every other couple on the show

in a way, it is also about sex. we constantly see other characters having sex in a normal sense that couples do. last time we saw Mickey and Ian get it on, Mickey was badly beaten by his dad. ugh

if the show doesn't want to show affection between the two, then just break them up. otherwise, they are queer baiting

I have a question about Amanda. Was she adopted? Because she looks as if she's Asian yet both her parents and her younger sisters look white. Also, I can't figure out why her parents are so rich if her dad's an engineer? My husband is an engineer and I work part time in bookkeeping but we're solid middle class. I'd like to know what type of job my husband needs to get to afford a house like that. LOL.

The Fiona -Gus marriage is not going to work out. A shame, really, it would be nice for the rest of the family to have him around. I know they all seemed to really like Steve back in the day. And Ian-Mickey, seems to be focusing more on their problems than on the two of them as a couple, but we'll have to see where this goes. I still like Svetlana.

Kev and Veronica, hope they can work out their differences. Unfortunately, Veronica doesn't appear to have too much interest in her kids. No kisses good bye when she's going off to work, just a smilel at them as she heads out the door. 

It was mentioned that Amanda's dad held the patent on at least one engineering device he developed. If it's something that's used widely, that can be extremely lucrative. I have a friend who's an engineer, and he makes far more every year from his patent holdings than his actual day to day job. He just happens to love what he does.

Edited by AlliMo

I actually really like the way Ian/Mickey are written, I would say they are probably the best written couple on the show.   I think the lack of couple-like displays is very them, and I don't get the impression Mickey is physically affectionate outside of the bedroom and I think that fits him.  

I think the early part of their relationship was very much physical, which is why we saw them going at it under bleachers, in the freezer as Kash's place and etc but now the emphasis has shifted.   I don't think they are Queer Baiting.   Though I'll be sad if they break up because I like them and because this is the Gallagher Family's story so I have know doubt Mickey's role on the show would be concluded.

I wonder how it will go over if/when Ian follow's the Original!UK version.

• Love 3

a confirmed script was online that clearly described them having sex and then climaxing together. 

I actually really like the way Ian/Mickey are written, I would say they are probably the best written couple on the show.   I think the lack of couple-like displays is very them, and I don't get the impression Mickey is physically affectionate outside of the bedroom and I think that fits him.

in 5x01, ian kissed mickey on the cheek in front of his brothers.....but since then? nada....

I can see where they may not be affectionate in public, but that still doesnt explain why we see everyone having sexual relations (god even underage debbie and carl are having near sex scenes) except mickey and ian. 

it's just glaringly obvious they are treated differently than everyone else on the show. 

• Love 1

Oh no, you guys. I didn't catch this until I started reading this thread, but now I totally think Fiona just got married so that the writers can set up a love triangle when Jimmy Steve shows up. I hate Jimmy Steve. Why couldn't he just be dead?

I like Stimmy but I really don't see why they keep bringing him back. I thought we were all led to believe that his last yacht ride was his end. Fiona is perfectly capable of continuing to fuck her life up (at least from last season and beyond) without him returning.

Debs punching that blonde bitch in the face was priceless, but that other kid was right, her fighting skills suck against 4 other girls. And her not thinking that she raped both Matty and herself was pretty odd. I always thought the show portrayed her as smarter than that, but apparently they're just dumbing her down for this particular angle? I don't get it. She always seemed pretty in the loop as far as how sex goes.

Ian's mania with the unclaimed luggage was pretty funny. But I feel bad cos I see a hard crash coming again. I wish there'd be more "lovey" times between Mickey and Ian though.

Vee and Kevin, they're just kind of meh this season. Their adjustment to parenthood story just isn't that interesting to me. i thought their foster child was more interesting than their own babies. Though I do like that Svetlana has become friends with Kevin. Maybe they'll join a Mommy and Me class, haha.

I have a bad feeling about Gus Pfender.  I don't know if it's a correct feeling or just that bad shit always goes down on Shameless in the end.

I think I agree with you although HE seemed to go down pretty well; I haven't been too impressed with the sex scenes on the show in the past few seasons, probably not since one between Stimmy and his "wife" but Fiona's tits were fantastic as she lay there on her back and him goin down on her was completely HAWT!!!

The whole Frank blows his insurance settlement in one night story was a waste, imo.

It looks like Carl may learn more in the summer while selling drugs than he learns all year at school but good to see him motivated to do ANYTHING. This plus his oral talents could be his ticket to something.

I like Amanda and like the development between Lip and her father. I was a little surprised that we didn't get a full blown sex scene with her parents finding them in their bed. I wish that her father had hooked Lip up with a job for the remainder of the summer but that might have kept him out of the shenanigans in the promo and other neighborhood rebellion against gentrification.

I'm really loving Kev as father and really getting annoyed with Vee.

we constantly see other characters having sex in a normal sense that couples do. last time we saw Mickey and Ian get it on, Mickey was badly beaten by his dad. Ugh

I don't need a full-on sex scene, because frankly I've never enjoyed this show's sex scenes (Fiona and anyone, Lip and anyone, and ESPECIALLY Frank and anyone).  I actually prefer the type of scene Mickey and ian got in 5x01 where they're being all cute in bed and we know they already had sex and are going to have some more (cutely).  What does bother me is that in the last 3 episodes they've had no physical affection.  None.  Not even a cheek kiss.  What the hell is that?  These are two men who are massively in love, and you guys are right, they act more like friends than a couple.  It's weird.  Meanwhile, Fiona just meets Gus and we're treated to more physical affection in one episode than I think Mickey and Ian have ever gotten.

Where can we see the cut sex scene?

Hopefully on the DVDs, but right now the filmed scene is not online--only the script page has been leaked.

I'm really loving Kev as father and really getting annoyed with Vee.

Women get so much shit for not being maternal--and I feel like this show is setting Veronica up to be the fall guy here.  It's so lame because she wanted kids FOR YEARS and I don't really know what's going on with her character.  Right now, I'm still in her camp just because I feel like the writers aren't being true to her character.

Actually, my entire problem with this season so far is that nothing is delved into enough.  Veronica has conflicting emotions about being a new mom?  Fine--let's get into it!  Instead we just get her complaining about sex.  Fiona goes from impulsively doing destructive things to impulsively trying to do sane things (while still being kinda crazy)?  Great!  That's interesting--let's explore that.  Or maybe delve into her guilt about what happened last season.  But nothing's explored.  Nothing is making sense to me.  We get only the barest outlines for character's behavior before a bunch of shit happens. Oh, plus a huge amount of Frank making gross beer.  Can't cut that!  That's all gold!  Why don't these writers just make a show about Frank running a microbrewery and all his problems with the hops or whatever the hell?  I really need more exploration of the beer making process.

• Love 1

I don't need a full-on sex scene, because frankly I've never enjoyed this show's sex scenes (Fiona and anyone, Lip and anyone, and ESPECIALLY Frank and anyone).  I actually prefer the type of scene Mickey and ian got in 5x01 where they're being all cute in bed and we know they already had sex and are going to have some more (cutely).  What does bother me is that in the last 3 episodes they've had no physical affection.  None.  Not even a cheek kiss.  What the hell is that?  These are two men who are massively in love, and you guys are right, they act more like friends than a couple.  It's weird.  Meanwhile, Fiona just meets Gus and we're treated to more physical affection in one episode than I think Mickey and Ian have ever gotten.

Hopefully on the DVDs, but right now the filmed scene is not online--only the script page has been leaked.

Women get so much shit for not being maternal--and I feel like this show is setting Veronica up to be the fall guy here.  It's so lame because she wanted kids FOR YEARS and I don't really know what's going on with her character.  Right now, I'm still in her camp just because I feel like the writers aren't being true to her character.

Actually, my entire problem with this season so far is that nothing is delved into enough.  Veronica has conflicting emotions about being a new mom?  Fine--let's get into it!  Instead we just get her complaining about sex.  Fiona goes from impulsively doing destructive things to impulsively trying to do sane things (while still being kinda crazy)?  Great!  That's interesting--let's explore that.  Or maybe delve into her guilt about what happened last season.  But nothing's explored.  Nothing is making sense to me.  We get only the barest outlines for character's behavior before a bunch of shit happens. Oh, plus a huge amount of Frank making gross beer.  Can't cut that!  That's all gold!  Why don't these writers just make a show about Frank running a microbrewery and all his problems with the hops or whatever the hell?  I really need more exploration of the beer making process.

I agree with all of this. It seems like they hired a whole different crew of writers and none of them have ever seen the series before. We used to get a lot more in depth in previous seasons about the how/why's that the characters act the way they do. But this season it's all story but little to no setup. Like, I feel like this Gus Pfender dude came totally out of nowhere, and now he's Fiona's husband? What? And Frank and the beer....that could have been totally condensed as a storyline. I dunno. And knowing Stimmy will be back....I sorta feel like the show is falling apart, and they're trying to put it back together by throwing a bunch of shit at the wall to see what sticks. I have loved all the past seasons and this one just isn't really doing it for me. At least Walking Dead comes back next week. I can always watch this later on the DVR.

Oh, plus a huge amount of Frank making gross beer.  Can't cut that!  That's all gold!  Why don't these writers just make a show about Frank running a microbrewery and all his problems with the hops or whatever the hell?  I really need more exploration of the beer making process.

too much frank doing pointless things is another problem i have with this show. he doesn't add anything to this show. I finally thought he would die last season, but no...the show couldn't do that! even reviews are now saying "we dont want so much damn frank..." 

I don't feel like the Kev and V stuff is that out of character. V has always had more apprehension about being a parent than Kev, I just hope they are going somewhere interesting with it. Maybe it will be like when they had Ethel way back when, and it took V a little while to warm up to her, while Kev jumped into parenting immediately?

I think I kinda get why Fiona got married. She meets a good guy who keeps her interest, and seems stable and honest, who she has an immediate connection with. Its a weird mix of impulsiveness and a need for stability. I like Gus so far, but I honestly dont see him lasting the season. Does he even know what he is getting into? Does he know that shes the legal guardian for her multitude of siblings, who are going through all manner of problems? I mean, he`s met Liam, Debbie, and Carl in passing, has he even seen Ian or Lip? Has he met Kev and V and the babies? Does he know about Frank and Monica? Because he`s not just marrying a hot waitress, he is marrying into the whole big, extended clan, and that might be a little too much for the average guy.

Normally I have a little more patience for Franks shenanigans than most people do, but his story, while at times funny, seemed like a waste of time. Frank is at his best when he is dealing with his family, and they have hardly interacted at all this season. Now that Sheila is gone, I have no idea what he is going to be doing all season.

I have to agree with others about Ian and Mickey this season. I thought they were great the first two episodes, but have seemed kind of off the last two. I have no idea why they are getting such a shaft on screen time lately, when they are arguably one of the most popular aspects of the show. Even when it was earlier in the show and they were just having sex, they seemed more coupley than they have been lately. I don't need constant sex or anything, but some cuddling, kissing, like in the first episode, would be nice. 

ON THE OTHER HAND...most of their really interesting stuff didn't happen until later last season, so maybe they are just holding out, and they are going to get a lot more screen time/relationship stuff later on, and they are just building up to something? From what I heard, they have a lot of stuff coming up that sounds pretty intense, so I am holding out hope that the writers have some kind of plan. It usually takes the show a few episodes to really build into its big story, so I am holding out hope that the show will get to the good stuff in the new few weeks.

I enjoyed the first two episodes this season, but the last two episodes have been...ok. Full of stuff I enjoyed, but also a lot of stuff that I either didn't care about, or that just seemed off. After loving so much about last season, I really REALLY hope things pick up soon. I love these characters, please don't screw them up, writers! Please! 

• Love 1

Of course the black guys played drug dealers. Much like Mandy's black bf is abusive. 

Sorry, but I'm enjoying the irony in your comment about how black people are being portrayed on Shameless.

I think particulary in this series it doesn't matter considering how everybody else acts.

• Love 1

The difference, though, is that there are far more white characters on this show so the range of behaviors and characterization is far greater. Besides Vee and Gail, Fiona's probation officer, almost all the depictions of black characters (while admittedly brief) have been negative--and especially negative of black men. If there were a wider range of depictions (i.e. more black characters on the show) it would matter less.

(Edited to change the name of Regina King's character which I thought was Angela for some reason, but it was Gail.)

Edited by Blue Castle
  • Love 1

I don't know if this is where the story is heading but Vee's lack of interest in her kids and parenting in general is looking very much like postpartum depression.

That is probably where it's going but I think I'd rather it be more about their personalities. Vee isn't naturally maternal and any potential she has in that area is overshadowed by it coming as easily to Kev as breathing. Leaving Vee feeling inadequate and resentful.

With Fiona it's like she got a bad parent award when she signed on to be the kids guardian and now she has to proves herself worthy of it.  She married a guy she's barely knows and through all it she never thought about how it would affect the people who actually matter to her? IDK what's going on with her I really don't. 

Sorry, but I'm enjoying the irony in your comment about how black people are being portrayed on Shameless.

I think particulary in this series it doesn't matter considering how everybody else acts.

IA.   As a minority myself, the day Shameless starts being PC about anything is the day I stop watching.   Every single character on this show is a complete nightmare.  Even the closest to a heroine (Fiona) is a complete trainwreck in just about every aspect.   It's what I like about this show (with the odd pathos sprinkled here and there).

• Love 4

I wish this episode had spent less time on Frank's Hangover-esque story and Fiona's 'no-drama'-but-actually-ludicrous-levels-of-drama "relationship," and way more time on Lip and Kev and Mickey! Oh, and wayyyyy less time on Debbie. She has always kind of irritated me, but in last season and this season she REALLY irritates me. 

I didn't really get why Amanda's parents were fine with Lip coming to visit even though they had tried to bribe him to stay away from her? Did they give up and decide to just go with it? Regardless, I also really hope her dad goes thru with getting Lip an internship, even if he's not with Amanda anymore!

• Love 1

Oh Fiona, you just know this is going to end up badly...

Don't like what's happening with Kevin & Vee but I guess it's not out of the ordinary.  Just hope they can fix it and meet in the middle somewhere.

The previews don't bode well for Lip.  I wish he could stay in Miami.  Nothing good will come out of his being home for the Summer.  Unless he plays a role in getting Ian some needed help.  Wish Mickey would reach out to the family.  I felt so bad for him watching Ian come unglued with all the stolen suitcases,  

So over Frank, don't care how he lost the money, wish he would've either a) left with Sheila, or b) been in the basement.  

• Love 1