Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
photo fox

Super Bowl XLIX: The Live Chat Topic

I'm not going to get all het up about the fight like I've seen on Twitter because the Seahawks had to have been SICK about the turn of events and their raw emotions just ran over.

The touchdown "celebration", on the other hand, was not only completely classless, but also totally moronic because it gave the gross disgusting Pats a free 15 yards, which is beyond stupid. Just give the ref the ball, ass. You know what is inside and outside of the rules.

Man, I'm no football expert, but even I know that throwing when you are that close to the end of the game/endzone, is just the riskiest, stupidest thing you could do.  I usually hate to play the blame game, but Pete Carroll will deserve everything thrown at him for that call. Nice one, dude.  Instead of the Seahawks potentially winning twice in a row, you just handed Tom Brady and Bill Bellicheck their fourth rings.

Good game though.  Very competitive.  I just can't fully be happy, since it really does seem like the Patriots are some of the biggest cheaters in the NFL.  And, it's not like they need to be: they are good in their own right.  They had a lot of great plays tonight.  But, it's like they can't help themselves.  And, this means that sadly their win is always going to be followed by Deflategate.  Granted, I doubt they give a damn, but it's just frustrating.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 3

I want a GIF of Sherman's face watching that interception. And then I want to somehow make it my screensaver. It was glorious, and I don't even like the Patriots. I just really hate the Seahawks.

How come the rookie who caught the interception wasn't the MVP? Is there a better example of one player winning the game for his team?

• Like 10

I want a GIF of Sherman's face watching that interception. And then I want to somehow make it my screensaver.

I'm sure it will be circling around soon.  His face pretty much had to describe what all the Seahawks were thinking after they snatched defeat out of a potential victory.

On the other hand, if it went the other way, I imagine the big reaction shot of the night would have gone to Tom Brady after that impossible catch earlier.  He really had the "Not again!  Not again! Not again!" thing going for him, during that moment.  I'm pretty sure he was flashing back to that Giants' game.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 2

I'm not watching NFL coverage until the draft; no way I'm listening to Brady and Belichick get slobbered over.

• Like 1

I could watch that interception all day long. I just wish that there were a team I actually liked on the receiving end of it. Hate the Patriots, but I hate the Seahawks much much more. They showed what a classless bunch they are at the end of this game. I feel bad for Russell Wilson, but he's young and will have time to win other championships and hopefully with a better class of teammates surrounding him. 

• Like 1

What really bothers me about the Pat's win is that LaGarrette Blount quit on his former team and managed to get a Super Bowl ring out of it.

Missy Elliot killed it!

• Like 1

But Pete Carroll is a big liar and cheater as well. Has USC even recovered from the fines and penalties incurred during his tenure there? I was hoping beyond hope that the refs would figure out a way for both teams to lose.

• Like 2

The second-stupidest play call ever, and the most harmful, given the situation.

(#1 is still the infamous "Miracle at the Meadowlands" from 1978.  Where the Giants, needing only for quarterback Joe Pisarcik to take a  knee to run out the clock and beat the Eagles, somehow called for a running play instead, Pisarcik and Larry Csonka messed up the exchange, and Philadelphia CB Herman Edwards [later the coach with the famous "you play to win the game!" press conference] picked up the ball and ran in for the winning touchdown.  Instead of the Giants reaching 6-6 on the season and being in contention for their first playoff berth in 15 years, they were 5-7, the offensive coordinator was fired the next day and the coach at the end of the year.  [The Eagles didn't waste the gift, either; they caught fire and reached the playoffs for the first time since their 1960 championship season].  But the good news was by losing all their remaining games, the Giants ended up in position to draft Phil Simms with the #5 overall pick the next year, so it worked out in the end.)

You have one yard to go, all the momentum on your side, and leading touchdown scorer in the league in your backfield.  You give him the ball.  No fancy "hesitate in the hole and cross-step" runs, either;  just have Max Unger and J.R. Sweezy fire ahead and hit that A-gap.  98% chance you win the Super Bowl right there.

If you don't make it, then on third down you bust out the old "Y-fall-stall" play, the one where you put three tight ends in the game, fake Lynch into the line again, and have the QB bootleg out to the right while one of the tight ends on that side has faked a block, fallen to the ground, and then gotten up once his man has jumped on Lynch and is now hopefully wide open in the corner.  (This is a reserve TE's favorite play; guys who play less than 10 snaps a game get touchdowns on this.  Sometimes the "3rd tight end" is actually a lineman or defensive player;  J.J. Watt caught a touchdown pass for the Texans this year, for example.)  Either the TE is wide open for the win, or Wilson runs the ball in himself, or he throws it away and you try something else on 4th down.

The benefit of "Y-fall-stall" is that it's designed to have the receiver be wide open; there's no way Wilson should ever risk a turnover before 4th down, since you want to have the chance to fire all of your bullets.  If you're going to throw a pass, the last sort of pass you should throw is one like they called, since with a "bunch" formation you're drawing multiple DBs to the area and just hoping that one of them gets rubbed off in the confusion.  Instead, Butler read the play correctly, got a great jump on the ball, and game over.

NFL players have been vocal in their criticism, but perhaps the most interesting tweet came from Cardinals LB Larry Foote, who wrote "stop trying to make your Golden Boy the Hero".  I was wondering about this; Lynch is unpopular with the media and probably on his way out of Seattle (well, DEFINITELY after this fiasco, I'd bet)…was offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell (like Wilson, a former Wisconsin quarterback) trying to make the story all about Wilson at Lynch's expense?  Stupid if true; the miracle catch by Kearse would have been the story, regardless of who scored the actual touchdown.  (Quick, when the Giants beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, who scored the winning touchdown?  Not David Tyree; his miracle catch got them downfield, but not into the end zone.  And yet, Tyree is who is always remembered and referenced when talking about that winning drive to beat the unbeaten Patriots.)   I hope Bevell gets fired tomorrow; I would have fired him before the game was over.

ruby24, I agree.  I was nearly choking when Cris Collinsworth was all "I asked Tom Brady to look me in the eye and tell me he had no idea about the deflated balls and he did, so I trust him" or whatever…excuse me, didn't Brady and Belichick lie about the Spy-Gate videotaping back in '07?  They're proven liars; I wouldn't take Tom's word on what Giselle had for dinner last night.  Falsus in unum, falsus in omnes, as the lawyers say.

And lassiecat, this is my gif, er, gift to you.  Enjoy.  

The Patriot fans were chanting "Greatest Ever" at Brady during the post-game.  Oh, please.  (You know, if the NFL had just repealed that stupid "tuck rule" before 2001 [it's gone now], none of this might ever have happened.)  Sigh.

ETA:  Chris Matthews winning the MVP would have been an awesome story, wouldn't it?  And again I go with "Sigh".

Edited by DAngelus
  • Like 2

On the other hand, if it went the other way, I imagine the big reaction shot of the night would have gone to Tom Brady after that impossible catch earlier.  He really had the "Not again!  Not again! Not again!" thing going for him, during that moment.  I'm pretty sure he was flashing back to that Giants' game.

From Belichick's postgame press conference (this is true, not a gag):

Q: Have you ever seen a catch like the one Kearse made?

BB: Yeah, I've seen two of them.

How come the rookie who caught the interception wasn't the MVP? Is there a better example of one player winning the game for his team?

That was a great interception, no doubt about it.  But it came after Brady set the record for most pass completions in a Super Bowl and led his team in the largest 4th quarter comeback in SB history.  I actually thought the second one of his MVP's from a decade ago was sketchier than this one.

I prefer the Seahawks swagger to the boring, unbelievably disingenuous bullshit you hear all the time from athletes coached to be politically correct- when you know they're all just as bad off the field anyway. I mean, come on- did any of the Patriots, coaches or players, say anything other than "we played our game" or "they do what they do," after winning this game? Unbearable.

I mean seriously, this is a violent, brain damaging sport they're playing- you know the real attitude of the players is anything but classy. At least the Seahawks show off the real personalities (other than Russell Wilson, who's so super Christian that it's kind of uncomfortable).

Edited by ruby24
  • Like 1

But Pete Carroll is a big liar and cheater as well. Has USC even recovered from the fines and penalties incurred during his tenure there? I was hoping beyond hope that the refs would figure out a way for both teams to lose.

This upcoming year is the first year for USC without any sanctions and full scholarships. My husband is an alumni and is a big Carroll backer and fan, and I can't understand why.

His smugness definitely rubbed off on his team (and that final play call?), and that TD celebration and lack of class at the end just made me happy they didn't win another one. Too bad the equally classless Pats won, but maybe this will let Brady retire so I don't have to see his dumbass on my screen (bitter Bills fan).

I could watch that interception all day long. I just wish that there were a team I actually liked on the receiving end of it. Hate the Patriots, but I hate the Seahawks much much more. They showed what a classless bunch they are at the end of this game. I feel bad for Russell Wilson, but he's young and will have time to win other championships and hopefully with a better class of teammates surrounding him. 

It'll be interesting to see if the Seahawks can remain at the top when they start to pay Russell Wilson like an upper-echelon QB and not like a 3rd round draft pick on his rookie contract.

It'll be interesting to see if the Seahawks can remain at the top when they start to pay Russell Wilson like an upper-echelon QB and not like a 3rd round draft pick on his rookie contract.

Yes, I agree. I've already read reports that the Seahawks organization wants to pay Wilson, Sherman, and Lynch handsomely for the upcoming season. Either someone is not good with figures, has amnesia about the cap, or someone is getting screwed next season.

Yeah, I don't know much about that stuff. Can someone tell me if the Seahawks are likely to still have this same team next season? Or, is everyone going to start leaving or what?