Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, bosawks said:

As a Flyers fan all I can say about this season is “WTF! Thank god that’s over....”

Seriously.. Thank god it's over. When trying to name the best things that happen this season I would say 1. Carter Hart.  Then I struggle to come up with anything outside of Gritty ..(i guess) and the season is over . Come on Flyers the other three teams in the city are exciting ..step it up please.

• Love 1

Let's go Islanders! Home ice advantage for the first round - I don't remember the last time they've had that.  And all home games will be back at the Nassau Coliseum, how great is that! Wish I could get there for a game, the old barn will be rocking!

15 minutes ago, Popples said:

I'm kicking myself for not recording the third period of the Knights/Sharks game. That's an incredible comeback.

On the one hand the 5 minute major call wasn't great but damn that PK was egregious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As a Penguins fan, it feels so weird to check out of the playoffs this early.

I know all commissioners say they don't root for certain results, but Bettman can't be happy with the way things have gone. President's Trophy winner. Gone. Defending champs. Gone. Last year's can do story, Las Vegas. Gone. The most popular/hated star in the league, Crosby. Gone.

17 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Congratulations to the Blues.  The players were so excited. I wish they could have won the game on their home ice so the fans could enjoy the moment in person.

Yes!!! It was so good to see a Boston team lose. (No offense to our Boston people who may be reading this!)

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Yes!!! It was so good to see a Boston team lose. (No offense to our Boston people who may be reading this!)

I agree. It was nice for them to finally not win a sport game.

Congrats Blues. I'm glad that they won. Though I agree it would be nice if it was on home ice. I heard people booing when they where giving them the cup.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, catlover79 said:

Agreed, especially after all that talk Boston was having that they could conceivably win the NBA championship and the Stanley Cup and simultaneously hold all four major championships. Barf. 

It was a sweet relief to see the Celtics implode against the Bucks and the Bruins fall one game short as well. 

Sorry Bostonians, we only hate you cause you win so much. 

• Love 1

🐧🐧🐧🏒!

ETA I heard an interview with Geno Malkin of the Penguins. The team promoted another Russian speaker to the big club and a reporter asked Malkin what their communication in Russian would be like on the ice. How would he ask for the puck?

Malkin: "Give me the puck!"

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I have been a Rangers fan since 1979. I cannot remember a single time in that entire period where I was excited about how young and maybe even talented my team is until this year.  

Sam Rosen said opening night that they have 8 players 23 or younger and 5 under 21 (or something like that.)

Fun stuff.  Young people often try harder. 

Scot Kleinendorst, 59, American ice hockey player (New York Rangers, Washington Capitals)

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/12/17/former-nhl-player-scot-kleinendorst-dies-from-injuries-after-grand-rapids-workplace-accident/

George Ferguson, 67, Canadian ice hockey player (Toronto Maple Leafs, Pittsburgh Penguins)

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/17/george-ferguson-toronto-maple-leafs-nhl-buffalo-sabres-pittsburgh-penguins/

Edited by MikaelaArsenault

The year isn’t even a qtr of the way over, but you’d be hard pressed to find a better story than a 42yr old kidney transplant survivor and Zamboni driver for an AHL team, winning as an emergency goalie.

• Love 8

With the NBA suspending the rest of the season I wont be surprised if Hockey follows soon. Especially considering many teams share an arena. 

It's official now

Edited by shoregirl

I really  wish  the league would make a final decision  one way or the other.  Honestly,  even though it  would  kill me, I think at this point it's  best to just cancel the  remainder of the  season,  INCLUDING the playoffs.  

Just be done with  this,  just as you were during the  lockout of  2004-2005. Start fresh in the  fall.  

Edited by Colleenna
Typo

I kind of agree. I feel like unless they can jump right to the playoffs in the summer. It will be close to the star to the next season. Plus then my home team can say that we weren't eliminated :).

• Love 1

Forty years ago today, the New York Islanders won the first of four consecutive Stanley Cup championships. Growing up on Long Island, I didn't really follow hockey until the Isles started play in 1972, but I quickly became a fan - and I still hate the Rangers to this day. 😉

I was in college when they won the Cup for the first time, and will always remember watching the game that afternoon. Years later, I worked at Newsday, the daily newspaper on Long Island. In the hallways around the building, they had large prints of iconic photographs from the paper's history, including the famous shot of Bobby Nystrom celebrating after scoring the game winning goal in overtime. It made me smile every time I walked past it.

Here is a great look back at that day, as told by those who were a part of it.

One Day in May - The Oral History of the Islanders' First Stanley Cup Clinching Win

• Love 2

I feel bad for the NHL now. Their calendar allows the NFL to operate pretty close to business as normal. Sports writers and commentators are poring over the minute details of re-opening proposals offered by MLB and the NBA.

The NHL? Look everyone! We have a finalized plan! You want to take a look?

Please?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I don't know why it's taking so long for the NHL to decide on the hub cities. They should just go with Edmonton and Toronto and get the hell out of the states. That would easily give them the best chance at finishing the "season".

• Love 1

I've seen a lot of teams and coaches part ways. But I have never, in any sport, seen a public statement like this.

"John Chayka has quit as the General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Arizona Coyotes. The Club is disappointed in his actions and his timing as the Coyotes prepare to enter the NHL's hub city of Edmonton, where the team will begin post-season play for the first time since 2012," said the team in a statement. "Chayka has chosen to quit on a strong and competitive team, a dedicated staff, and the Arizona Coyotes fans, the greatest fans in the NHL."