Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

When we tuned into the last Avalanche/Predators game and CO had the third string goalie in the crease.

My first thought was.... * where is the regular goalie or his backup and who is this Hammond guy? and unless you're in a coma, this is the Playoffs. Get your ass in front of the net.  lol

Hammond did a damn good job.  YES!!!!!!

SIGH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by stillhere1900
(edited)
22 hours ago, xaxat said:

As a Pens fan, I would have rather had a five minute major after the hit.

Seriously? You'd rather have had a 5 minute major instead of the Caps losing their top line winger for 3 games? He's a dirtbag, but he's a Brad Marchand style dirtbag who is also a top line player. 

The Pens have already taken 1 with Wilson out of the lineup, and I think the Pens have a good chance of winning all 3 with Wilson out. These kinds of suspensions are crippling, and if Wilson gets 5 for the hit, he almost certainly doesn't sit for 3. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
On 5/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, Ohwell said:

They're not the choking dogs?

There's a Harvey Keitel quote that seems appropriate here.

Vegas is in the Stanley Cup Finals. An expansion team is in the Stanley Cup Finals. Excepting maybe Leicester winning the Premier League, this is the damndest thing I've ever seen.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Oh good lord, will the long suffering Caps lose to the first year Golden Knights? That might be the cruelest way for them to go out.

Disclaimer: I'm from Las Vegas and I'm rooting for my Knights to win, but damn, that's going to be awful if former Penguin Fleury crushes Ovechkin's dream once again. 

(edited)

Finally we're starting the Finals. 

I haven't been this excited for a Stanley Cup Final for a long time, both unexpected Finalists, both potential first time cup winners.; both just fantastic stories. I really couldn't be more thrilled with this matchup, unless it was my Maple Leafs representing the East. 

Hoping for a long 7 game series, don't disappoint me Caps and Knights!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, BitterApple said:

I live in Las Vegas and have attended several Knights games, and the experience is pretty epic. They have a Mardi Gras-style marching band, DJ booth and everybody dances during commercial breaks. We saw them play back in January against the Preds, and even the out of town fans were having a blast despite being in hostile territory.

And  then they opened the Stanley Cup Finals in the most Vegas way possible... :)

• Love 1

I don't like the Vegas show style opening to Golden Knights games at all (just play hockey, dammit) but I absolutely loved the national anthem singer for game two.  How is Carnell Johnson not an opera superstar??

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I don't like the Vegas show style opening to Golden Knights games at all (just play hockey, dammit) but I absolutely loved the national anthem singer for game two.  How is Carnell Johnson not an opera superstar??

I was ok with Game 1, it's the Finals, it deserves a bit of opening pomp. 

But yeah when Game 2 started and they were still singing the Star Spangled Banner at 8:20 (EST), I was very much in the "Get to the hockey" camp.

Happy to see the Knights and Caps split the first two, hopefully it keeps going like this. I want a game 7!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I think it's fine for Game 1 in each location (Vegas and D.C.) but for subsequent games it should be cut short to get things going. I know a lot of East Coasters were complaining about the late start times. 

• Love 1
(edited)

DAT SAVE tho!

Loving this SCF so far. First time in a LONG time I don't care who wins in a good way. Usually I either pull for one team, or wish both team would lose lol

This time: will be good either way. Though I guess i'm 49% Knights, 49% Caps and extra 2% Ovechkin...

I need a 7 game series though. make it happen!

Edited by vavera4ka
On 5/31/2018 at 12:22 PM, vavera4ka said:

I need a 7 game series though. make it happen!

I've always said, hockey is the only sport that can give you a Game 7 with Sudden Death Overtime.  I don't know if it's ever happened in the SCF, but I'd love to see it.

(edited)
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

I've always said, hockey is the only sport that can give you a Game 7 with Sudden Death Overtime.  I don't know if it's ever happened in the SCF, but I'd love to see it.

It's happened twice. Once in 1950 and once in 1954. In both series the Detroit Red Wings were the Stanley Cup Champions. 

In 1950 the Red Wings defeated the New York Rangers at 8:31 of the 2nd Overtime on a goal by Pete Babando. This series was also notable for the fact that it was the last time the O'Brien Cup was presented to the Stanley Cup Runner Ups. Guess it's kind of cruel to present the losers with a trophy to remember their loss. 

In 1954 the Red Wings defeated the Montreal Canadiens at 4:59 of the 1st Overtime on a goal by Tony Leswick. Leswick famously scored on a blooper shot from the point, he later admitted he was just hoping to send the puck in deep and gain a change for the Red Wings and never actually expected the puck to go in. Leswick in fact never saw his shot go in, he turned immediately after his shot in order to get to the bench, and joins the celebration late as his teammates let him know he scored the Cup Clinching goal. The Canadiens were so shocked by the loss that they left the ice without shaking hands with the Red Wings, and Habs Goalie Gerry McNeil retired the next season to coach junior hockey (although he did return to the Habs in 1956.)

Just goes to show you that every shot is a good shot in overtime. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Admittedly, I don't watch much hockey, but now I'm getting scared for the Caps.  I can understand the fans being crazy excited, but the local newscasters have gone overboard and you'd think they'd already won the Stanley Cup.   I hope they do win it, but they've still got two more games to win and I can't help thinking about Tony Kornheiser's comment about them being choking dogs.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Admittedly, I don't watch much hockey, but now I'm getting scared for the Caps.  I can understand the fans being crazy excited, but the local newscasters have gone overboard and you'd think they'd already won the Stanley Cup.   I hope they do win it, but they've still got two more games to win and I can't help thinking about Tony Kornheiser's comment about them being choking dogs.

Worse that that, I think they're doomed because TK has now said "the era of the Choking Dogs is over."  Which can't be good...  ;-)

• Love 1

As someone living in the DC area, I want the Caps to win so that all the news coverage stops!  I'm sick of it and I just want it to end ASAP, so if that means that they win tonight, I'll be one happy camper.  If it goes beyond that, then I'll just have to skip local news coverage for another week or so.

I wanted more hockey. Not because I wanted the Knights to win or the Caps to lose, I just wanted more. Oh well atleast my Marlies are still playing for the Calder Cup.

Congrats to the Caps, finally broke through after 40+ years. Congrats to Ovi, never made it past the second round before this year, but he only needed to do it once to make it all the way. 

• Love 1

Ok, I live in the DMV and while I'm happy that the Caps won, I am so fucking sick and tired of all the endless talk and celebration by these local news stations.  I hope today's parade is the last we hear about it and they can go on to other sports.   I know DC hasn't won shit in in any sport in ages, but damn. 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:00 PM, bosawks said:

Um, what the heck is going on in Ottawa?!?!?

This Mike Hoffman story is insane, when my brother sent it to me I actually thought it was from The Onion.....

Is he the one with the psycho girlfriend? That story is crazy. I read he's denying it, but obviously his teammate must have proof if they're accusing the girl of cyberbullying. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Hooray! My Leafs signed John Tavares!

I've been waiting pretty much my entire life for the top free agent to choose Toronto, and it finally happened. Young player, easily the most sought after UFA and a former #1 pick choosing to come home to TO. 

This must be a less potent version of what Clevelanders felt when LeBron came back. Obviously not the same, because as good as John Tavares is, he is not the best player in the league, and he doesn't instantly transform us into a Finals contender, but he does make us a whole lot better, and we were pretty good this year without him. 

I am so happy. Happy Canada Day everybody!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, Maximum Taco said:

Hooray! My Leafs signed John Tavares!

I've been waiting pretty much my entire life for the top free agent to choose Toronto, and it finally happened. Young player, easily the most sought after UFA and a former #1 pick choosing to come home to TO. 

This must be a less potent version of what Clevelanders felt when LeBron came back. Obviously not the same, because as good as John Tavares is, he is not the best player in the league, and he doesn't instantly transform us into a Finals contender, but he does make us a whole lot better, and we were pretty good this year without him. 

I am so happy. Happy Canada Day everybody!

OMG I KNOW RIGHT?! I am still over the moon over it. 
I think it gives the Leafs hands down the best centre depth in the league. You can argue Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin and maybe Brassard, but I don't know many other teams that has a 2x30 goal scorer on the third line

I need it to be October already. 

• Love 1

Dave Hakstol has finally been fired as the Flyers head coach. Gritty will now be the interirm Head Coach . 

Scott Gordon has actually been named interim Head coach but really some guy in a orange furry costume probably would still be a better head coach than Dave Take too.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2018 at 1:43 PM, shoregirl said:

Dave Hakstol has finally been fired as the Flyers head coach. Gritty will now be the interirm Head Coach . 

Scott Gordon has actually been named interim Head coach but really some guy in a orange furry costume probably would still be a better head coach than Dave Take too.

The Flyers under Hakstol this season combined being bad with being almost unbelievably boring. 

Hard to imagine a strategy of: enter the offensive zone, come to a dead stop, and then shoot low percentage perimeter shots was unsuccessful...............

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 1