Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

Torts!  I don't know how good a coach he is at this point but he sure is darn entertaining........

^^^ His act gets pretty tiresome very quickly.

very tiring.

So bummed out that my 2nd favourite team (and the team I was counting on to make my playoff aspirations come true, since my one true love (go Leafs), are .. well Leafing. but intentionally this season, so it is all good. - is doing poorly. (the heck, 'Lumbus?). and now they have Torts. 

however... press conferences shouldbe mighty entertaining. 

I was able to get tickets for the Alumni Game at Gillette Stadium on Thursday; it was a lot of fun and they did a good job with the fan experience stuff.  There was also a womens' game first, an exhibition between the NWHL Boston Pride and the CWHL Les Canadiennes.... that ended in an unresolved tie, and one Boston player, Denna Laing of Princeton, was injured badly enough to be taken out on a backboard and ambulanced to Mass General (last word was that she was still hospitalized).  Highlight of the alumni game for a Bruins fan: their starting 6 included Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, and Terry O'Reilly.

• Love 1

On Saturday my boyfriend and I made a semi-last minute decision to go to the Rangers vs. Panthers game and we made the long drive to Ft. Lauderdale.  The Rangers were my childhood team and the Islanders his (we're both New York natives now living in Floriduh) but now he's a Panthers fan.  I was thrilled to be in the same building as Henrik Lundqvist and he played well for most of the first period but damn, those Panthers are good and Luongo was lights out in goal.

It was fun to see the big boys play since I'm used to the ECHL. 

So excited for the playoffs! I'm a Blackhawks fan so I'll be rooting hard for them, although I'm not terribly optimistic this year. I feel like playing the Blues in the first round will be tough, but they're not exactly unknown to the 'Hawks so they know what they're up against. Hopefully they'll surprise me like they did last year!

• Love 2

Fleury is out for the Pens tonight. Which would be OK because Murray has been solid in goal during his absence. Except he's out also.

They're one unfortunate hit away from dressing the equipment manager. 

Edited by xaxat

Great first game for the Pens.

Too bad about Lundqvist though. I wanted the Pens to win a good series, it's always a little hollow when their best player goes down in game one.

Oh well, looks like the Pens will probably make it to round 2 at least.

My boyfriend was a childhood Islanders fan but now roots for the Panthers so he's a bit torn about that first round series but gave the nod to the Panthers since he's not happy the Isles moved to Brooklyn.  We all have our logic.

Geographically perhaps. But I would advise you to not say that to anyone from Brooklyn or Long Island.

I'm Long Island born and raised, lived there most of my life until a few years ago.  I love poking at my friends from Brooklyn and Queens who complain about Long Island by saying "You're a Long Islander too!"  And yes, I know it's a different mind set once you cross the border into Nassau County...

• Love 1

Speaking of the Isles, Barclays is by far the weirdest venue I have seen an NHL game in. Because of the space limitations, one whole end is a bunch of obstructed seats and sections covered in advertising. 

I know there was a lot of drama involved with getting that place built, but I'm still surprised they didn't design something that could accommodate hockey. 

Edited by xaxat

When it was built, I don't know that they had plans to move a hockey team there - the Nets were going to be the primary tenant, and I believe it was configured with basketball in mind.  After all the drama in Nassau County over the Coliseum, Barclays became an out for the Islanders, and they got stuck with what they got stuck with.

My personal hockey history... I'm not a real fan of the sport, but I do have interest in it. I grew up on Long Island for most of my life and for whatever reason I never liked the Rangers. Of course I knew the players like Gilbert, Giacomin (Eddie! Eddie!), Duguay, etc because I always watched the Sports on the news, but I just hated the team. 

Then the Islanders came around and their Dynasty started during my later high school years. The team became such a surprise to the masses on L.I. and the excitement was awesome. That was my team. Love that whole era as it was like nothing I had ever seen. I loved watching their playoff rounds vs the Flyers (I hated them).

Well, the good years went by and my NHL interest was only in hoping that the Rangers would never, ever win the Cup. But once they did it was as if the hate went away and was replaced by indifference. I was simply glad that I wouldn't have to hear their fans whine.

Then I started dating this cop who was a huge Devils fan. I actually liked the team when it was in Colorado mostly because Chico Resch was ending his career there. So when they moved to NJ I began to root for them. The Devs became that great "dynasty" and Brodeur was my guy. Since the Isles were so bad for so long I really just resigned myself to them being bad and just hoped they would get  better.

So now I consider myself a follower rather than a real fan of hockey. I root for the Isles always and the Devils always and when they play each other I just ignore it and read the score the next day.

But I do like other teams. Mostly though it's the Penguins, Caps, Isles, Devils (must be an East coast thing) and believe it or not I root for the Rangers. Love the Pens because I always liked Mario and Jaromir and Sid the Kid is fun to watch. Plus I'm a Pirates and Steelers admirer. Must be the colors.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/isles-return-barclays-seeking-coliseum-esque-atmosphere-article-1.2604085

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

So excited for the playoffs! I'm a Blackhawks fan so I'll be rooting hard for them, although I'm not terribly optimistic this year. I feel like playing the Blues in the first round will be tough, but they're not exactly unknown to the 'Hawks so they know what they're up against. Hopefully they'll surprise me like they did last year!

Exactly. My husband (not a Hawks fan, so what would he know) thought I should have hoped for a Hawks/ Stars match-up, but I maintain the Stars were a puzzle for us this year whereas the Blues are the devil we know.

• Love 1

When it was built, I don't know that they had plans to move a hockey team there - the Nets were going to be the primary tenant, and I believe it was configured with basketball in mind.  After all the drama in Nassau County over the Coliseum, Barclays became an out for the Islanders, and they got stuck with what they got stuck with.

The original plans called for it to be a multi sport venue that could accomodate a hockey team. But during construction, they realized it was costing too much and they cut costs.

It's a shame the Isles fans have to pay for it now.

Exactly. My husband (not a Hawks fan, so what would he know) thought I should have hoped for a Hawks/ Stars match-up, but I maintain the Stars were a puzzle for us this year whereas the Blues are the devil we know.

Yeah, but the you are the devil the Blues know.

I actually agree with your husband, I think the Blackhawks would've matched up well against the Stars. The Stars are a powerhouse offense, but their defense is highly suspect. A physical game like the Hawks play would've ground them down. Especially since Tyler Seguin came into the playoffs hurt. A couple Duncan Keith checks, maybe a little tap on the ankle, and he'd be feeling it.

The Blues on the other hand play a gritty LA Kings style, offense by committee, defense by everyone style. No matter what they'll take you to 6 or 7, and grind each game out.

Round 2 is gonna be hard for whoever comes out of that series, especially since it looks like the Stars are aiming to sweep the Wild.

Edited by Maximum Taco

April 4, 2016: The Chicago Blackhawks partner with the group "You Can Play", dedicated to fostering tolerance and equality and fighting homophobia in the sporting world. That's nice.

April 19, 2016: Blackhawks F, Andrew Shaw twice directs homophobic slurs towards NHL officials after being assessed a late penalty. Oh right, this is why we can't have nice things.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/4/20/11465754/andrew-shaw-homophobic-slur-video-2016-nhl-playoffs

• Love 3

In listening to sports radio last week as they were discussing the games, a former coach (didn't hear who) said that when coaches watch film they will pour over it in real time and in slow motion so that they can really analyze the issues.

That got me thinking about how cool it would be to watch a period of hockey in relative slo mo. Just slowed down a little. That would be a great way for someone like me who really knows nothing of the rules. I just try to follow the puck...not always easy.  

April 4, 2016: The Chicago Blackhawks partner with the group "You Can Play", dedicated to fostering tolerance and equality and fighting homophobia in the sporting world. That's nice.

April 19, 2016: Blackhawks F, Andrew Shaw twice directs homophobic slurs towards NHL officials after being assessed a late penalty. Oh right, this is why we can't have nice things.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/4/20/11465754/andrew-shaw-homophobic-slur-video-2016-nhl-playoffs

I'm not so naive to think slurs aren't slung more frequently than is publicized, but when it's caught it needs to be punished with a definite message. $5,000 fine and one-game suspension is a start. Being scratched for the rest of the series (assuming there is more than one game, oyyyyy) should be the next step imo. And I say that as a die-hard Hawks fan. I didn't give Wayne Simmonds a pass for yelling that slur at Sean Avery, I ain't giving Shaw a pass for yelling it at an official.

I'm not so naive to think slurs aren't slung more frequently than is publicized, but when it's caught it needs to be punished with a definite message. $5,000 fine and one-game suspension is a start. Being scratched for the rest of the series (assuming there is more than one game, oyyyyy) should be the next step imo. And I say that as a die-hard Hawks fan. I didn't give Wayne Simmonds a pass for yelling that slur at Sean Avery, I ain't giving Shaw a pass for yelling it at an official.

That seems excessive to me, he's apologized publicly and said he won't do it again, and he's been fined and he's been suspended for an elimination game. I think the NHL has very effectively sent a message that this is a big deal and will not be tolerated.

Punishment shouldn't just be for punishment's sake, it should be used to make Shaw understand that what he did was wrong and based on his apology, I think he does understand that. It could just be words, but until/unless he does it again, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. People make mistakes. If they learn from them, they don't need to have their faces rubbed in it, they need to be forgiven. This should move away from punishing Shaw, he's been punished enough.

This should move towards changing the culture. What the NHL needs to do now is maintain consistency, any future hate speech needs to be treated the exact same way as this. If Shaw (or any future offender) does do this repeatedly then punishment should escalate.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
Punishment shouldn't just be for punishment's sake, it should be used to make Shaw understand that what he did was wrong and based on his

This should move towards changing the culture. What the NHL needs to do now is maintain consistency, any future hate speech needs to be treated the exact same way as this. If Shaw (or any future offender) does do this repeatedly then punishment should escalate.

We can agree on this much!

Diehard hockey fan here, let's go Caps!!   We have tickets for tonights game at the Verizon Center, where we should end this series against the Flyers.  I wasn't surprised at all by the crapshow in Philly during game 3, I've seen that stuff first hand.  It is not all Philadelphia fans, but the bad ones are very vocal and active.

I'm looking forward to a second round matchup with the Penguins, that should be wild!

Diehard hockey fan here, let's go Caps!!   We have tickets for tonights game at the Verizon Center, where we should end this series against the Flyers.  I wasn't surprised at all by the crapshow in Philly during game 3, I've seen that stuff first hand.  It is not all Philadelphia fans, but the bad ones are very vocal and active.

I'm looking forward to a second round matchup with the Penguins, that should be wild!

Have fun!

Don't underestimate the Flyers though. The Bruins made that mistake in 2010.

My personal hockey history... I'm not a real fan of the sport, but I do have interest in it. I grew up on Long Island for most of my life and for whatever reason I never liked the Rangers. Of course I knew the players like Gilbert, Giacomin (Eddie! Eddie!), Duguay, etc because I always watched the Sports on the news, but I just hated the team. 

Then the Islanders came around and their Dynasty started during my later high school years. The team became such a surprise to the masses on L.I. and the excitement was awesome. That was my team. Love that whole era as it was like nothing I had ever seen. I loved watching their playoff rounds vs the Flyers (I hated them).

I grew up on Long Island and the Islanders were my life. In the summer of '83 (after the 4th Cup), the family relocated to Charlotte. No cable tv, so no more NHL. Don't think I saw another hockey game until 1988. By then, the Hornets had come to town, and I got caught up in that.

Hated seeing the Islanders move to Brooklyn, but it's better than having them become the Quebec Nordiques 2.0. Don't really follow it that much anymore, but I still enjoy it when the Rangers lose.  Further proof that "sports hate" is stronger than "sports love". I guess.

• Love 2