Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

Athena, Carey Price is always a good bet. So is PK Subban. I believe there was a study this year that proved the Habs are more popular nation wide than the Leafs. If I was in a fantasy league I would be confident in either of those players.

I know it was a game against the Calgary Flames, but how good did the Sedin line look during that game? Hamhuis, Tanev, Kassian and Vey also looked good.

OTOH, it's time for certain players to stop turning over the puck. Yes, I mean you Alex Edler. We already have one Sbisa and we don't need another.

Edited by ohhellsyeah
  • Love 1

Athena, Carey Price is always a good bet. So is PK Subban. I believe there was a study this year that proved the Habs are more popular nation wide than the Leafs. If I was in a fantasy league I would be confident in either of those players.

Yeah, someone else got Subban early. Price was my first draft. Tip: Consider drafting your goalie first. I took Price partly out of stats, friends, and also to annoy the eight Habs/Montrealers in my league. I've already had three offers to trade Price and Nope!

I can see how the Habs are more popular than the Leafs. I am not crazy about Leafs fans or their playing style. As the guys were talking last night, who were the glory players for the Leafs? Domi?

My roster is good on defense, bad on wings, and OK on forwards (Duchene and Sharp). No money in this league and just for fun with some friends. I hope I don't come bottom of this league like I am in my EPL one.  

Hey, I just found out that there was an NHL thread in this board. So hello all, let me start with...

Go Habs, go!

Now that I have that out of my system, let me comment on the topic of expansion and a second team in Toronto. I think it is a great idea to have a second team in TO. Business wise, it is a good decision as the city still have more capacity not filled by the Leafs. It is too big of a market to be served by only one team. Hey, if NYC can be served by three teams and LA by two teams, there is no reason why the third largest city in USA/Canada can not have a second team.

From fans point of view, they can get an alternative to the Leafs. Let us just face it and be honest, on-ice the team is not the best in the league and certainly not that exciting to watch. By having a second team, fans have something else to cheer for should the Leafs not performing (which usually happens in the period between October to April each season). Think of LA Clippers and LA Lakers of the NBA.

However, will that ever happen? Not while I live. Or in hockey term, not before the Leafs win the Cup, an event that I will most certainly not experience. The Leafs and MLSE are enjoying their monopoly on the market. It is their main objective to gain as much business profits from the venture, no matter how inefficient the market becomes because of it. The Leafs, and supported by the Sabres, will oppose any effort to establish a second team in the GTHA.

Yeah, someone else got Subban early. Price was my first draft. Tip: Consider drafting your goalie first. I took Price partly out of stats, friends, and also to annoy the eight Habs/Montrealers in my league. I've already had three offers to trade Price and Nope!

I can see how the Habs are more popular than the Leafs. I am not crazy about Leafs fans or their playing style. As the guys were talking last night, who were the glory players for the Leafs? Domi?

My roster is good on defense, bad on wings, and OK on forwards (Duchene and Sharp). No money in this league and just for fun with some friends. I hope I don't come bottom of this league like I am in my EPL one.  

I enjoy trolling other teams but I would probably save it for Leafs fans.  As much as I love the game, I have never been in a fantasy league which is kind of strange. I think a lot of things account for the Habs being more popular than the Leafs right now. I'm from western Canada and the Toronto-centric bias of CBC really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.  The Habs are also a much more exciting, dynamic team right now with Price and Subban leading the way. I have a deep, deep love for PK Subban and the haters can come right at me. I love watching him play and I love watching him in interviews.

And … the Sabres lost. Hard to beat a team who outshoots you 40-22. *sigh*

You are the front runners in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes. So at least there's that.

That Canucks-Oilers game was something else.  Not really a great game for either team. (Defense? What defense?  You mean you aren't supposed to let the other team just skate into the slot?  Who knew?).  The goaltending for the Canucks was also pretty bad.  That being said it was one of the most entertaining things I've ever watched.  Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Dan Hamhuis FOUGHT. There were 8 goals and tons of powerplays.  Two guys getting their first NHL goals.  The Sedins looking years younger.  True love.  Electric eels.  That game really had it all and I'm sorry for anyone who missed it.

ETA: The last great Leafs superstar was definitely Mats Sundin.  Before that I don't know.  I would say Curtis Joseph or Doug Gilmour before I would say Domi, who was pretty much just a sandpaper guy IMHO.

Edited by ohhellsyeah
  • Love 1

I'm from western Canada and the Toronto-centric bias of CBC really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Not just the CBC. There's a reason why TSN is called Toronto Sports Network out here. The aversion for the Leafs is well deserved and a win against them is delicious.

Hooboy the Canucks are going to be fun to watch this year if the Sedins and Vrbatek keep up their freewheeling magic.

• Love 2

I have a deep, deep love for PK Subban and the haters can come right at me. I love watching him play and I love watching him in interviews.

Mind if I join you on the PK Subban love train?  I can fight off haters with the best of 'em.

The return of hockey has made me want to cancel all my plans and stay at home every night, except for the games that I'm going to live!

I went to a Leafs/Sabres preseason game back in early September - I sat in row 7 directly behind the visiting team's net, which of course has subsequently spoiled me for every game I'll ever go to subsequently, since those seats would be ridiculously priced during a regular season game and I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for one freaking ticket.  I then went to my first regular season game last Saturday - Leafs/Penguins.  Full disclosure - my #1 team is the Blackhawks, but I've got the Pens and the Leafs as my #2/3 and my Eastern Conference teams, so that was supposed to be a bit of a conflicting game for me... except that the Leafs deserved to lose that game (they played atrociously), and I was rocking my Crosby jersey (not completely) alone at the top of the ACC with Leafs Nation (getting heckled a bit), so it just made me cheer more loudly for the Pens.  ;)  I'm actually going to the Leafs/Red Wings game tomorrow night and think that I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy myself a Leafs (Bernier!) jersey.  The NHL has my money, that's for sure, and my bank account curses the day I became a hockey fan.

Right now I'm trying to decide between watching Pittsburgh vs. Dallas (also have to admit that I've got a soft spot for Dallas because I've got all kinds of love for the hockey bromance that is Benn & Seguin, but...GO PENS GO!) or Montreal vs. Boston tonight.  Even though I have lived in Toronto for 20+ years and cheer for the Leafs as a secondary team, I have to admit (thank you for anonymity, internet) that I've got a bit soft spot for the Habs, I love Carey Price, and absolutely detest Boston, and I'm also a sucker for an epic rivalry, so I've got good enough reason to watch either game tonight.  Decisions, decisions!

Ever see the people sitting in the stands at a Leafs game? Half are wearing suits and fiddling with their Blackberry's or iPhones looking bored. The true fans either manage to get seats in the 500 section, or the few scalped tickets and can go to a game. There is an area close to the ACC (Air Canada Centre) and has a large screen TV broadcasting the games - that's where the true fans gather and cheer and have a good time. Most of the seats are sold as corporate seats. I mean, can you blame MLSE? If a company is willing to pay over $500+ per seat and guarantee to have most of the seats sold right at the the beginning of the season, then why not? Doesn't mean I don't hate them for it.

I don't disagree with you on that front.  The corporate types are exactly what I was referring to earlier in terms of keeping the ticket prices so high and ensuring that games are pretty much always sold out, even though half of them aren't really there to watch the game.

Edited by eyetotelescope

They should put a team in Hamilton.

Too close to the corporate slobs that focus on profit at the expense of the fandom masses (not saying profit isn't a huge consideration for the team - duh). I would rather have a team that is located somewhere where the awesome fans can wholly enjoy it. Same with proposed NFL team here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

I live smack dab between Toronto and Hamilton and I don't want any expansion team here at all. Ever see who populates the home stands at certain games. Like the Vikings games, or the Raiders? The Habs or the Penguins? The Bruins or the Red Wings?. The Cheeseheads in Green Bay or the New Orleans Saints? (yes, I'm mixing sports). THOSE are true fans. You will never see that here in the GTA. People here in Toronto can't do that, because the corporate bastards will - just like with the Leafs - buy up all of the tickets and sell it to bored suits who will marginally populate the games because they want to finalize some trivial business transaction.

When we Ontarians can go to an awesome tailgate party in the parking lot of a stadium (yeah, yeah, LCBO rules), and see fans dressed up in crazy costumes and cheering and celebrating THEN the GTA deserves a NHL (or NFL) team. Otherwise, forget it.

Apparently I feel quite strongly about this. *shrug* My apologies to those GTA-ans who want another team.

• Love 1

Hamilton also has territorial rights issues, and might even manage to fall within both Toronto and Buffalo's zones. IIRC, the last serious bid they made involved a billionare ownership group that was willing to pay high rights fees, (IIRC, it was one of the options during the Yotes bankruptcy saga- What a Long Strange Trip That Was- see "Phoenix XCIX: "I Got 99 Problems, But A Lease Ain’t One” at HF Boards )  but I'm not certain what current the current status of that group is.

Hamilton also has territorial rights issues, and might even manage to fall within both Toronto and Buffalo's zones. IIRC, the last serious bid they made involved a billionare ownership group that was willing to pay high rights fees, (IIRC, it was one of the options during the Yotes bankruptcy saga- What a Long Strange Trip That Was- see "Phoenix XCIX: "I Got 99 Problems, But A Lease Ain’t One” at HF Boards )  but I'm not certain what current the current status of that group is.

selkie - your post totally reminded me of a few years ago when Jim Balsillie wanted to bring the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton. Any teams that are within a specified distance from the proposed expansion team location have veto rights, and of course Toronto and Buffalo being the closest would have the option to say no. I don't think it ever got to them vetoing, but everyone knew that they would. Gary Bettman also was completely against it - but only because apparently he personally hated Balsillie.

Not just the CBC. There's a reason why TSN is called Toronto Sports Network out here. The aversion for the Leafs is well deserved and a win against them is delicious.

Well, I guess we should have been careful what we wished for because now Rogers owns EVERYTHING. I know they are still calling it Hockey Night in Canada but it just doesn't feel the same.  I miss Kelly Hrudey, John Shorthouse getting to call national games, and After Hours. And I'm really going to miss those playoff montages that the CBC used to do. And of course I miss the Hockey Night in Canada song but that hasn't been on the CBC for awhile.  With TSN owning the rights to the song, when are we going to get to hear it? During the World Junior tournament?  GAH. Why does Rogers have to ruin everything?

Hee! Today's loss keeps us in that spot. Will have to see how tomorrow's tilt againt the Canes pans out. Last time I checked, they were just above us in the standings. I heard that the 2016 draft will be in Buffalo, so I hope the guys aren't planning to stay in the cellar until then.

Considering the way the Oilers have started the season, you might be up against some stiff competition.  Apparently, they want Connor McDavid BAD. I don't understand how a team with that many high ranking draft picks that many years in a row can still be that bad.  They got Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Taylor Hall and they are still this bad?

Mind if I join you on the PK Subban love train?  I can fight off haters with the best of 'em.

Since you asked so nicely, I am perfectly willing to share.  That goal he scored last night was amazing, wasn't it? I really, really love whenever the Habs humiliate the Bruins because I hate them SO MUCH.  And as an added bonus you can always count on Milan Lucic to lose his mind and do something unbelievably tool-ish. 

The only way I could get on board with another team in Ontario is if they came out of the gate and were immediately better than the Leafs.  That would make me laugh so hard because I am a terrible person.

Another jersey toss in Edmonton. Who are these people with so much money that they can afford to ditch a perfectly good hockey jersey? I've had the same Canucks jersey since 2001 (which means they've been through about 10 different jerseys since then) but I still haven't gotten rid of it.

Not even in 2011 when setting it on fire was apparently the thing to do. /kidding

Honestly, the atmosphere is heavily dependent on the nature of the game.  I've been to 4 games at the ACC this season so far, and it was 50/50.  The atmosphere was amazing for 2 of them (it was an exciting, fast-paced game, the Leafs were playing well, and eventually won), and horrid for the other 2 (the Leafs played like they didn't want to be there and lost, with a large goal differential).  It made for vastly different experiences, though it was particularly different for me each time since I was cheering the opposing team during 2 of those games and the Leafs during the other 2 games...

Edited by eyetotelescope

I watched the Buffalo/Florida game Saturday and that was a morgue. I'm sure a lot of fans stayed at home to watch the FSU game that night, but I read that they are averaging only 8,500 fans a game for the season.

I watched the Buffalo/Florida game Saturday and that was a morgue. I'm sure a lot of fans stayed at home to watch the FSU game that night, but I read that they are averaging only 8,500 fans a game for the season.

I read the same too.  I post/lurk on a popular hockey board, and Panthers attendance is a de facto banned topic on that board because of how personal the debate gets for some folks, so I'm going to err on the side of just saying that yes, attendance is really bad for the Panthers this season, and leave it at that!  I wonder if Ekblad can become a bit of a star and use that star power to make the team more popular though.

I can't believe I didn't know this thread existed, so excited to find it.  Does make me very nervous to post though since my team (whispers) is playing really good hockey right now...please hockey gods do not punish them for my uttering those words!

One of my brothers took me to my first game when I was 9, the very first season ever for the Washington Capitals.  About 2500 "fans" at the old Cap Center in Landover, MD (home of the WORST boards on planet Earth).  So I am greatly enjoying the Caps celebrating their 40 year anniversary, I am one of the few that can say I have been on board since the start.      Now if only we could actually win the Cup in the next 40 years!!

My son is a huge hockey fan too, I love the mom-son bonding that hockey has brought us :-)

I still cannot get used to the Division/Conference names, I still consider the Caps as part of the Patrick Division... 

• Love 3

The Stanley Cup will be here in Orlando later this month when the Solar Bears host the ECHL All Star Game and as a season ticket holder I'll get a chance to "meet" the cup and have my picture taken with it!!!  My hockey fanatic boyfriend is jealous because he lives two hours away and the event is on a weeknight so he won't be able to make it.

• Love 2

Don't know why I never stuck my head in Sports before, but very glad to find a hockey thread.  My team is the Hartford Whalers - we were season ticket holders to the bitter end. 

From here, we always hear that Toronto sells out, and the area could support a second team without poaching from the current Leafs fan base, so it's enlightening to hear the real deal from people who live there. The Whalers also had the suit problem; a guy in front of us said I yelled too loud once.  (Many times after that if someone was really loud, he'd turn around with a nasty look, only to find me with a shit-eating grin because it wasn't me making the noise. It pissed him off mightily, which made me happy. But I digress.)  Hartford was known as The Library because of the "fans" who would read their Wall Street Journal during the game. 

I'd love to see Quebec get a team back.  Hartford has been floated by some wishful thinkers but I don't see Boston or NYR allowing it, and I don't think it can get the attendance they need.  The team met an attendance challenge in 1996-97, but the team was still moved; and I just don't think the people with the money for tickets have the interest, or the people with the interest have the money.  I know we wouldn't be able to afford a whole year at this point.

All that being said, I think Buttman's determined to put a team in Las Vegas - partly because he sees dollar signs, partly because he's determined to put hockey in places that it won't do well.  Maybe, the way the NHL does things, Rick Tocchet can be the GM, and Janet Jones the Controller.  Just being a little bitter, sorry.

• Love 1

Background: grew up on Long Island and was in High school when the Islanders ruled the world. Great fun. Never liked the Rangers but I did develop a pretty big love for the Devils. Of course Martin Brodeur was my fave player and I was very disappointed to see NJ let him go.

So he ups with the Blues. Ok He still wants to play, maybe be a mentor. Cool. Now he retires and takes a front office job. That's great for him and I still adore the guy.

But it's so sad to know he is no longer associated with the Devils. I'm sure NJ will give him a Day and retire the jersey. I just wish he had decided to retire after his Devils life was over so that he could maybe join their front office and had an actual celebration of his greatness.

Just sayin'. Still love guy.

BTW, it's about time the Islanders got  back to being a good hockey team. 

Edited by prican58
  • Love 2

The whole Brodeur thing seems strange to me. He was a career Devil (I saw him play with Utica back in '92); when it came time to think about what he'd do when retiring from playing, it seemed unimaginable that he would work for any other organization. He had to have discussed retirement with the Devils in the off-season. Instead, he opts to go to the Blues, where he doesn't even last out the season, and ends up in the front office in St. Louis, instead of NJ. I think there must be some bad blood between him and the Devils for this to have happened.

The Stanley Cup will be here in Orlando later this month when the Solar Bears host the ECHL All Star Game and as a season ticket holder I'll get a chance to "meet" the cup and have my picture taken with it!!!

Just to make you jealous, over the years, I've had my picture taken with both the Stanley and Calder cups!

I don't know that it's so much bad blood as just a better offer from the Blues.  If you believe the press releases, the Blues offer gave Brodeur the chance to work more closely with the players, which is something he says he was looking for.  

However  - while with the Devils, Brodeur played a lot of games that perhaps he should not have; depending on whom you listen to, either Devs coaching was overplaying him, or Brodeur's raging ego made him want/campaign to start every game.  Probably in either case, but particularly If the latter is closer to the truth, there could indeed be some bad blood between Lou Lamoriello and Brodeur. 

prican58, I hated the Isles for a good long time, but after losing my team sort of semi-adopted them because of their long-standing underdog status and the lack of respect accorded them around here.  It's very nice to see them doing well, I agree. 

Edited by harrie

I don't know that it's so much bad blood as just a better offer from the Blues.  If you believe the press releases, the Blues offer gave Brodeur the chance to work more closely with the players, which is something he says he was looking for.  

However  - while with the Devils, Brodeur played a lot of games that perhaps he should not have; depending on whom you listen to, either Devs coaching was overplaying him, or Brodeur's raging ego made him want/campaign to start every game.  Probably in either case, but particularly If the latter is closer to the truth, there could indeed be some bad blood between Lou Lamoriello and Brodeur. 

prican58, I hated the Isles for a good long time, but after losing my team sort of semi-adopted them because of their long-standing underdog status and the lack of respect accorded them around here.  It's very nice to see them doing well, I agree. 

harrie, thanks for the Islanders love. Back in the day it was such a gas watching them on tv. Hockey is really my  4th sport and I do not claim to know anything about the rules. Never have. The game itself is so exciting when you have a dog in the race. Watching those old Flyer playoff match ups were crazy. I have gone to a Devils game or two in their heyday, So exciting and the atmosphere in the old Byrne Arena was very fan friendly, unlike what I felt at MSG for NYR ages ago. I think everyone should go to a hockey game once in their life. It could be college, AHL, whatever. It's so much of a rush.

I no longer hate the Rangers. Once they won the Cup I felt like I could dtrop the hate. They don't bother me anymore.

Re Brodeur/Devils, I really hope there is no bad blood. One day Martin will come back. He has to. Hall of Fame? I would think so and he would have to go in as a Devil. 

What is it about goalies? Loved Billy Smith and Chico Resch, naturally and I actually developed a healthy respect for Mike Richter during the Rangers Cup year. 

Background: grew up on Long Island and was in High school when the Islanders ruled the world. Great fun. Never liked the Rangers but I did develop a pretty big love for the Devils. Of course Martin Brodeur was my fave player and I was very disappointed to see NJ let him go.

I'm a little bit older than you - I grew up on Long Island, and was in college when the Islanders made their big run. I never followed hockey as a kid, only starting to follow the sport when the Isles were born in 1972.  Hated the Rangers, and do like the Devils - mostly because our old friend, Chico Resch, was in goal for them when they moved from Colorado.  Now that I'm in Charlotte, I've been listening to their games (broadcast on Radio Hofstra!) on Sirius.

I no longer hate the Rangers. Once they won the Cup I felt like I could drop the hate. They don't bother me anymore.

I still hate the Strangers...

I have to say, I was rooting for the NYR when they made that great playoff run lat year (yr before?) with a bunch of guys i never heard of before. How messed up is it that now the Devils are on the downside while the other two are competitive? Man I had forgotten that Chico was the goalie in CO. That was how I got excited for them coming to NJ.

Moose, I graduated Hofstra in '81. The place has got a big time sports program, although they dropped football a few years ago. Nice b-ball arena, swim facilities.

harrie, I like Rangerks. Funny. 

I have loyalty to Devs and Isles but I do like other teams, mostly in the East. I like the Pens because Lemieux was so extraordinary and of course Jaromir and I seem to be smitten with black and gold as I started loving Pittsburgh Pirates when Clemente played (idolize the guy) and I love the Steelers.  Bruins have great history and I remember the trade for Rod Gilbert.  

I have a fondness for the Avalanche, I guess because I loved the Rockies back in the day. I HATE the Oilers because they were the ones who usurped the Isles of their dominance. Boo hiss. I hated Messier.

I do have a fondness for the original NHL teams like Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, etc just for the history factor. Love watching that NHL Winter classic game or whatever it's called where they play out in the open. How pure is that?

Edited by prican58

prican58, have you seen the documentary Pond Hockey?  It's pretty good - but I'm prejudiced because I learned to love hockey by playing it on the neighborhood pond.  The flick has commentary by Gretzky, Crosby and others.   

In 2011, Howard Baldwin, a former owner of the Whalers (and Pens at one time), put together Hockeyfest at Rentschler Field, the UCONN football facility just outside Hartford.  All kinds of local schools played there during the week capped by a Hartford-Providence game on the last day.  It was a positively arctic week, but about 1-2,000 people showed for the big night, and we all literally froze our asses.  I had thick, insulated snow pants on and my butt got cold in about five minutes. But I wouldn't have missed it for anything, it was really a lot of fun. 

I liked the Pens of the Lemieux era, and he was a beauty to watch play.  Crosby I can take or leave for some reason, probably because the press is always going on and on about him.  I have Crosby on a fantasy team, and I always think he should be doing more; I just don't feel the points with him like I do some others. 

In 2011, Howard Baldwin, a former owner of the Whalers (and Pens at one time) 

Ahh, Howard Baldwin. The man that bankrupted the Pens because he and his wife wanted to produce movie gems such as this.

Outside of possibly Babe Ruth, has there ever been a player more important to a franchise in any sport than Mario Lemieux?

The best player of his era. Conn Smythe, Lindsay, Ross trophy winner. On ice performance of the team early in his career brought the team financial health that allowed them to stay in the city.

Then the team goes bankrupt. As its largest creditor Lemieux assumes ownership of the team, once again insuring that it stays in Pittsburgh. Later negotiates a deal (that I was actually against) for a new stadium, keeping the team from moving for a third time.

On ice and off, his impact has been incredible.

Edited by xaxat

Ahh, Howard Baldwin. The man that bankrupted the Pens because he and his wife wanted to produce movie gems such as this.

Come on, that's the best movie ever! And where else do you get to see JCVD fight a penguin? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eftKwZzT15U

(why can't I embed this video?)

I'm the first to admit that Baldwin has a lot of PT Barnum in him -- especially noted on that fateful January day when we looked up from the arena, our faces, fingers and other parts frozen, our hot chocolate turning to ice-cold chocolate milk in seconds, enduring wind gusts of 40 mph, to see Baldwin and company all toasty-warm, enjoying catered food and drink in an enclosed luxury box.  Still wouldn't have missed it for anything, though.

And Lemieux was, and is, awesome, I agree.

Just to make you jealous, over the years, I've had my picture taken with both the Stanley and Calder cups!

Very cool!  Aside from having our picture taken with the Cup (we were allowed to touch it as well, which I didn't expect) the Conn Smythe trophy was also on display, but with a helluva lot less security surrounding it.

prican58, have you seen the documentary Pond Hockey?  It's pretty good - but I'm prejudiced because I learned to love hockey by playing it on the neighborhood pond.  The flick has commentary by Gretzky, Crosby and others.   

Harrie, just saw the trailer and boy,does it look interesting. I have always thought that hockey players are so much more passionate about their sport than base-foot-, basket- players. I do not doubt those other athletes passion but hockey guys just seem to be so at one with the sport. I'm always impressed with the guys from the northern US who seem so enamored of the sport. I've always thought of it as a Canadian sport even though I know its stretch is international. 

I'm a fair weather fan, for sure. but it doesn't mean I have no interest. I like to stay current. 

• Love 1

Very cool!  Aside from having our picture taken with the Cup (we were allowed to touch it as well, which I didn't expect) the Conn Smythe trophy was also on display, but with a helluva lot less security surrounding it.

Maybe they were hoping somebody would steal it?

Now comes the question: is Connor McDavid so good that even Edmonton can't ruin him?

Seriously though, fuck that. If you can't get your shit together after three straight first overalls, you don't deserve any more chances.

Edited by AshleyN

I do not honestly get why everyone is so bitter. It's actually hilarious. They change the rules so the Oilers don't win. And yet again, the Oilers win. If the Sabres had won, they're would've been bitching about rewarding intentional tanking. The Sabres fought tooth and nail to keep the draft the way it was so they would have the best shot at McDavid. And they intentionally tanked by having a fire sale. They still get Eichel so it's no big loss. The Coyotes all of a sudden decided to tank too in order to get the best shot at McDavid and Eichel. They are not being rewarded for intentionally tanking.

The Oilers just plain sucked under Eakins. They got the spark back under Nelson. There was no planned tank job. If there was, Eakins would've finished out the season hands down. I am glad the Sabres and Coyotes were not rewarded with McDavid for tanking on purpose. And the hatred on HFBoards and Reddit is sheer hilarity. It's not like other teams have sucked hard intentionally and built through high picks in the draft for a few years in a row, am I right? Oh wait...

I don't know which makes me more sad, the Islanders out of the playoffs (I really wanted an Isles/Rangers matchup in the next round) or the lights officially going out in Nassau Coliseum with the game seven loss.  Please don't turn into hipsters upon moving to Brooklyn next season.

• Love 1

I'm down in Charlotte now, but I've followed the Islanders from a distance - I wish I could have gotten to one more game at the Old Barn.  A coworker lived in the DC area for a number of years, and she and the family are Caps fans.  Yesterday, she asked me if the Islanders were going to change their name, since they are moving to Brooklyn.  I told her that despite what Brooklynites might tell you, Brooklyn is on Long Island, so no name change.

• Love 1

First time visiting this portion of the boards, but as a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks, I'm obviously happy with the result of tonight's game to move the series vs the Wild to 3-0.  "Showtime" is an absolute nightmare for the Minnesota Wild & their goalies in the postseason.  Crawford was amazing in front of the goal mouth.

Very thankful that the Wild knocked off the STL Blues in the quarters.  'Hawks don't handle physical teams and play as well as teams that aren't as physical, like the Wild.

Looking very much like a Chicago-Anaheim WCF.  But hoping Calgary can steal a game or two to extend that series a bit.

• Love 2

Use one word to describe Chicago's sweep of the Minnesota Wild.  Its obvious which word it should be.  And that's "Showtime".

Crow came up huge, but man what a crazy finish to that game.  Seriously thought it might have been headed to OT (where anything coulda happened).  Pheewww.

Ok, since we got this wrapped up, whatever happens in the CGY-ANA series is gravy.  If it only goes 2 more games, fine, if it goes 3 or 4 more, its all good.   Slightly worried about too much time off and maybe a bit of 'rust', especially opening on the road.  Actually, GO CALGARY!!  (that way the 'Hawks steal home ice in the next round, again)

• Love 1